Adios to Jolley : MERGED

NIGHT STALKER

Jets | Team could try to trade Jolley

Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:21:10 -0700

The New York Daily News reports the New York Jets may attempt to trade TE Doug Jolley. He is drawing some interest, according to an NFL source. The Jets probably could fetch a late-round pick for him.

And what did we give up?

The New York Daily News reports the New York Jets may attempt to trade TE Doug Jolley. He is drawing some interest, according to an NFL source. The Jets probably could fetch a late-round pick for him.

And what did we give up?

Ooooh, Oooh, I know, I know! I was just educated on this issue. Per Oktaren:

"we traded the 26th and 230th picks for jolley, the 47th, 182nd and 185th picks if i remember correctly...

based on the draft value chart we gave up 702.4 points in the draft and picked up 468. That means that jolley was worth 234.4 points in the trade. The 71st pick in the draft is worth 235. So that means we basically gave up the 7th pick in the 3rd round for him."

Not as bad as most people make it out.

"we traded the 26th and 230th picks for jolley, the 47th, 182nd and 185th picks if i remember correctly...

based on the draft value chart we gave up 702.4 points in the draft and picked up 468. That means that jolley was worth 234.4 points in the trade. The 71st pick in the draft is worth 235. So that means we basically gave up the 7th pick in the 3rd round for him."

It's still bad. Still awful. Still terrible.

Using that scenario, one can say that after just one season, we are trading the 7th pick in the 3rd round, which is absolutely awful. We could also say that we missed out on a first round talent in order to trade for a ****ty tight end and a weak-legged kicker.

Weren't there people last year that were saying Jolley was better than Heath Miller? We could have had both Millers, and just signed a kicker as a free agent. I don't think Jay Feely cost the Giants a second round pick, did he? Or better yet, we could have signed a kicker like Rob Bironas for last season and then went after AV, Vanderjackoff, or Longwell this year.

This will go down as one of the worst trades in Jets history, and that says a lot.

Jets | Barlow switches to No. 32

Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:24:43 -0700

The New York Daily News reports New York Jets RB Kevan Barlow, who wore No. 31 in last week's game, has switched to his old number, 32.

The New York Daily News reports the < New York Jets may attempt to trade TE Doug Jolley. He is drawing some interest, according to an NFL source. The Jets probably could fetch a late-round pick for him.

:Typotux:

It sure looked to me like we didn't pick until the second round... And we COULD HAVE drafted Heath Miller. Remember him? Won a Superbowl in Pittsburgh. If we had drafted in the first round, would we be a different team right now? Sure, we might not have Nugent.

I'd take that trade back, wouldn't you?

It's still bad. Still awful. Still terrible.

Using that scenario, one can say that after just one season, we are trading the 7th pick in the 3rd round, which is absolutely awful. We could also say that we missed out on a first round talent in order to trade for a ****ty tight end and a weak-legged kicker.

Weren't there people last year that were saying Jolley was better than Heath Miller? We could have had both Millers, and just signed a kicker as a free agent. I don't think Jay Feely cost the Giants a second round pick, did he? Or better yet, we could have signed a kicker like Rob Bironas for last season and then went after AV, Vanderjackoff, or Longwell this year.

This will go down as one of the worst trades in Jets history, and that says a lot.

Too soon to evaluate that draft. I'm not a big fan or drafting a kicker that high or the trade, but I think Jolley seemed MUCH better than he has played here and plenty of people here are absolutely in LOVE with Rhodes, so you have to look at the deal in its totality. Worst trade in Jets history? Johnny Lam Jones? Robertson? The stakes weren't high enough in this one to even register on the radar.

:yahoo:

Jets Acquire TE Ryan, Trade Jolley

The New York Jets announced Thursday they have acquired tight end Sean Ryan, from the Dallas Cowboys for an undisclosed draft pick, and claimed wide receiver Sloan Thomas off of waivers from Tennessee. The Jets also traded tight end Doug Jolley to Tampa Bay for an undisclosed draft pick. The announcements were made by Jets

The only thing I care about in this thread is this...how fast is this kid Thomas? Anyone have any info on that? Tired of these possession receivers that we have...we need a burner to help open up our lackluster running game.

Here you go JetFanFl

Prospect

Sloan ThomasPosition: Wide receiver College: Texas Height: 6-1 Weight: 203 Hometown: Houston, Texas

OVERVIEW

Big, athletic receiver who has a great combination of strength, speed, size and body control … Started as a flanker, split end and slotback during his career, joining Roy Williams and B.J. Johnson to give the Longhorns one of the premier receiving units in college football (all three gained over 1,000 yards during their career) … Played in 46 games, starting 20 contests … Caught 88 passes for 1,362 yards (15.5 avg.) and 12 touchdowns … His 88 catches rank 10th on the school's career-record list and his 12 scoring grabs are tied for seventh.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a tall, thin, but defined frame with developed thighs and calves … Tough athlete who will play with pain … Has adequate quickness out of his breaks and a quick release to elude the defensive backs (uses finesse to escape) … Works for position and stays in control through his patterns … Can adjust to open areas in the zone and shows awareness keeping his feet inbounds along the sidelines … Can get open and locate the ball quickly … Maintains focus and will not hesitate to catch the ball in traffic … Does a nice job of tracking the ball in flight … Shows adequate athletic agility to adjust to the ball … Is very good at using his leg drive to gain yardage after the catch … Works hard to cut block in the open.

Negatives: Needs to show better hand punch in order to escape press coverage (relies on finesse) … Gathers in his breaks, taking a false step to gather in attempts to reach top speed … More effective in the short area, as he has to build up speed to get into the deep routes … Will generally use his body to catch the ball, which results in several drops when working in a crowd (short arms the ball) … Looks stiff at times getting his head turned around and struggles to make the over-the-shoulder grabs … Seems to "chicken fight" when asked to block (flails his arms around, getting whatever piece he can of the defender). AGILITY TESTS

4.55 in the 40-yard dash … 335-pound bench press … 390-pound squat … 264-pound power clean … 30¾-inch arm length … 8 7/8-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Klein (Spring, Tex.) High, playing football for coach Ray Kenjura … USA Today honorable mention All-USA receiver in 1999 … Tabbed the 1999 Houston Chronicle Offensive Player of the Year … Three-year starter who registered 1,489 all-purpose yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior … Caught 49 passes for 987 yards and 11 touchdowns en route to all-state honors in 1999 … Also returned 11 punts (18.5 avg.) and seven kickoffs (24.7 avg.) and was an all-state performer in those areas as well … Scored five touchdowns (two receiving/one rushing/one passing/one punt return) in one half against Huntsville as a senior … Made 34 catches for 694 yards (20.4 avg.) to earn first-team all-district honors as a junior … Also saw action at cornerback … Returned an interception and two kickoffs for touchdowns in 1998 … Also lettered in track, clocking bests of 10.38 in the 100 meters and 21.2 in the 200 meters.

PERSONAL

Communications major … Member of the Fall 2000 Big 12 Conference Commissioner's Honor Roll and a two-time member of the Texas Athletics Director's Honor Roll … Cousin, Ron Merkerson, was a linebacker at Colorado (1994-97) and in the National Football League for New Orleans (2000) and New England (1998-99) … Father, Samuel, played football at Austin Peay … Member of PALS (Peer Assistance and Leadership Service), a group which assists the elderly … Also has volunteered time with Special Olympics … Born Sloan Edward Thomas on Dec. 22, 1981, in Clarksville, Tenn. … Resides in Spring, Texas.

Courtesy of NFLDraftScout.com

Archived