Charles Rogers could be cut by Lions

faba

After preseason loss, Rogers declares 'My days are numbered'

Friday, September 01, 2006 By Tom Kowalski

DETROIT - There was a preseason football game Thursday night at Ford Field, but in terms of drama and suspense, it couldn't hold a candle to the theater that was performed after the game.

The Detroit Lions lost their third straight preseason game, losing 20-13 to the Buffalo Bills but what was really at center stage was the future of receiver Charles Rogers. While the final cuts won't be announced until Saturday, early indications for Rogers are that it's going to be exit, stage left.

Rogers only played in one series during the game, taking part in 10 plays to start

x"I feel a little bit bitter," said Rogers, who was the second overall draft pick in 2003. "Going into your last preseason game, the starters didn't play that much, so I thought I was going to play a little bit more than what I did. But it just didn't happen."

After the game, Rogers took off his jersey and gave it to a youngster in the crowd.

"Yeah, that's what I did, I thought it was time," Rogers said. "That's what I wanted to do. I thought it was time for me to do that. You know, we'll wait until Saturday but it don't look pretty. It would be hard for me to believe I'm still here after what just happened in this situation. I'd say my days are numbered."

After the game, Lions head coach Rod Marinelli was asked if he thought it was fair that Rogers could be evaluated on just 10 plays. Rogers didn't play in the previous two preseason games because of a knee injury.

"You talk about fair -- it's what's right for this team. You ask me to be fair, what's fair to this team?" Marinelli said. "It's not always the individual, what is fair and right for this football team? We've got to look at what's right for the Detroit Lions, when does that count? That's the most important thing.

"I've said it from day one, it's Lions football. My thing is 'How do you make this team come together?' Who are the right guys? It might not be the best 53 (guys on the roster), it might be the 53 that help you win. That's what you've got to understand. That's our job, to find the right 53 and it's not about any one guy."

Marinelli made it clear that whatever Rogers did at Michigan State or in his first few years with the Lions didn't matter. He is only interested in how Rogers has responded since beginning off-season workouts last March.

I would take a look at him.

I know he's injury prone and has been a massive bust, but this is a RECEIVER that was the 2nd pick in the draft just a few years ago. With the Jets' complete lack of a deep threat, I would love to bring Rogers in just to see if Mangini can right the ship. This guy is a huge talent. Maybe the wakeup call of getting ****canned in Detroit will help him realize he needs to put it together fast.

Who would have thought Barlow was a "Mangini type of player".

yea I think there is a big misconception about what "Mangini type" players are-confusing them with what a Herman Edwards type was-here.Herm's type was the choir boy(Pohau rescuing kids from a burning orphanage-or was that Mighty Joe Young?) and Mangini's might be a guy who can help the team win by utilizing his versatility-regardless of his previous M.O.

Mike Williams I knew would suck. Charles Rogers however I thought was going to be really good. I'll never forget 3-4 years ago against Notre Dame in the back of the end zone with a leadping 1 hand grab and still got his feet down.

has there ever in the history of the NFL been 3 1st round WR nightmares like the guys they have picked in almost consecutive years?Williams, Rodgers and who was the other clown?

Roy Williams...and he's hardly a clown. He's actually pretty good.

Mike Williams I knew would suck. Charles Rogers however I thought was going to be really good. I'll never forget 3-4 years ago against Notre Dame in the back of the end zone with a leadping 1 hand grab and still got his feet down.

Last season, Mike Williams was a rookie that had not played in two years. It is way too premature to label him a bust. For more of my thoughts, search the JN article archives for my verbal fellatio of him.

SoFlaJets, how is Roy Williams a nightmare? He looked like a future superstar as a rookie and he just had an off-year last season due to nagging injuries. He could very well be Mike Martz's new Torry Holt.

Last season, Mike Williams was a rookie that had not played in two years. It is way too premature to label him a bust. For more of my thoughts, search the JN article archives for my verbal fellatio of him.

SoFlaJets, how is Roy Williams a nightmare? He looked like a future superstar as a rookie and he just had an off-year last season due to nagging injuries. He could very well be Mike Martz's new Torry Holt.

I told you Mike Williams would do nothing and he's doing nothing. He was only a rookie? What the hell has he done this season so far? Nothing. He will continue to do nothing and be out of the league.

yea I think there is a big misconception about what "Mangini type" players are-confusing them with what a Herman Edwards type was-here.Herm's type was the choir boy(Pohau rescuing kids from a burning orphanage-or was that Mighty Joe Young?) and Mangini's might be a guy who can help the team win by utilizing his versatility-regardless of his previous M.O.

Yeah, and TO is a Parcells guy, right?

Archived