Coles for Moss straightup trade coming soon?

Tennessee_Jet

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8228173

INDIANAPOLIS -- Laveranues Coles might be returning to the New York Jets.

NFL sources at this week's scouting combine said the Jets and Washington are close to a deal that would send the unhappy wide receiver back to New York for wide receiver Santana Moss in a straight-player deal.

No announcement is expected before March 2, with one league source cautioning that the two sides are hammering out terms of a trade and that no agreement has been reached.

"But my understanding," he said, "is that this is a real possibility."

The deal would make sense. Though he led the Redskins in receptions in 2004, Coles was unhappy with his role in the Washington offense and recently declined to renegotiate his contract. Moss, who led New York's receivers with five touchdown catches, is entering the last year of his contract and almost surely will command a large salary.

Moss' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, recently expressed an interest in obtaining a luctractive contract extension for the former first-round pick this offseason. But the Jets are more interested in obtaining Coles, an AFC personnel director said, because they believe he's a better receiver.

Moss, who caught a career high 74 passes in 2003 for 1105 yards and 10 touchdowns, is scheduled to earn $448,000 in base pay this year.

Jets' coach Herman Edwards declined to comment Friday morning.

Coles led the Jets in receiving in 2002 but left when Washington offered a five-year, $35 million that included a $13 million signing bonus. The Redskins have been working on a deal that reportedly includes Coles' agreement to waive the final installment of his signing bonus -- $5 million, which is due April 1 -- in return for a trade, with his new team assuming the unpaid portion of the bonus.

It is believed that the NFL Management Council is looking into the unusual plan and that it could pose an obstacle to the deal.

While Coles led the Redskins with 90 catches last season, he had only 950 yards in receptions and only three catches for more than 22 yards. Coles was frustrated with the team's offense, and coach Joe Gibbs was frustrated with Coles' attitude.

In addition, the club wished he had undergone surgery on a right big toe that he fractured three weeks into the 2003 season. Since the injury he averaged only 11.8 yards a catch, and his only touchdown last year came on a trick play when halfback Clinton Portis threw him a pass.

If we are trading the 2004 Moss for the 2002 Coles then this is a no brainer.

But since they both took last year off who knows. Coles was more active in every game he played. He just never had a monster game. And he never saw the ball in the red zone.

I wouldn't do this though. Moss is fragile but he showed in Pitt that he can light it up at anytime. That Punt Return for a TD was HUGE.

If we are trading the 2004 Moss for the 2002 Coles then this is a no brainer.

But since they both took last year off who knows. Coles was more active in every game he played. He just never had a monster game. And he never saw the ball in the red zone.

I wouldn't do this though. Moss is fragile but he showed in Pitt that he can light it up at anytime. That Punt Return for a TD was HUGE.

Moss got lost looking for the sideline against Pitt and ended up facing the endzone. That was a big play, but this guy spent the entire season returning punts east and west. Coles had something going with Penny that Moss never seemed to find. I think I would take that trade straight up, assuming Coles toe does not need surgery.

Coles' toe is the only thing that worries me about this entire deal. Otherwise, I'd love to see him back and I think Washington is a fine place for Sideline Santana.

Coles and Jmac could be a lethal combination, if our QB can play.

Moss has the ability to strecth defenses - we saw this in the SD playoff game - Coles was good in 2002 but that was 3 years ago and he is damaged goods - If we can get him for close to nothing than yeah go for it - but we can't lose our fastes guy just to pick up a tall guy

we would be losing an impact WR/punt returner with a knack for scoring TDS and gaining an injury addled WR with a knack for NOT scoring TDs

the only perspective from which this makes sense is a financial one... which means the JETS would be getting the worse player in the deal.

sucks.

Moss has the ability to strecth defenses - we saw this in the SD playoff game - Coles was good in 2002 but that was 3 years ago and he is damaged goods - If we can get him for close to nothing than yeah go for it - but we can't lose our fastes guy just to pick up a tall guy

i dont think he's that much taller...this trade scares me but coles is fast too even with his bad toe..and most likely the jets werent gonna bring back santana after this year anyway.so maybe it'll work out,,hopefully

I saw you lurking there and figured I had to get that one out quick. :wink:

Hey PFSIKH,

You gotta do something with your sig line.

It took me more than 30 seconds to scroll down because it is so long.

BTW, do you like my sig? It's a tribute to all the Jets accomplishments in the past 36 years.

we would be losing an impact WR/punt returner with a knack for scoring TDS and gaining an injury addled WR with a knack for NOT scoring TDs

the only perspective from which this makes sense is a financial one... which means the JETS would be getting the worse player in the deal.

sucks.

IMPACT PUNT RETURNER? Yo, Bit - did you WATCH football last year? You still blinded by the Pittsburgh game? There were 17 games before that. Check 'em out.

IMPACT PUNT RETURNER? Yo, Bit - did you WATCH football last year? You still blinded by the Pittsburgh game? There were 17 games before that. Check 'em out.

What game was it where he took a punt to the house and there was an obvious "blocking in the back" penalty that was not called?

Damn Jets, they must pay the refs.

Hey PFSIKH,

You gotta do something with your sig line.

It took me more than 30 seconds to scroll down because it is so long.

BTW, do you like my sig? It's a tribute to all the Jets accomplishments in the past 36 years.

:lol:

Be fair, they have like one or two divsion titles.

I hear the Coles for Moss deal is all but done.

So, Coles left the J-E-T-S for the $$$....made some remarks on his way out.....but I still think he is better than Santana, who I think has a questionable work ethic, (a little like me, posting on a board instead of doing something constructive).

This reminds me a little of Antowain Walker coming back to the Celtics.....it's a WTF kind of moment.

i would have the Jets pour over all teh games that Coles played in since he injured his toe. See how that affected him and how the toe is now. if he refuses to fix that toe, it will only come up again and again. Does anyone know if there have been other players who have successfully played with this injury. I know years ago, Ronnie Lott had something similar and he ended up CUTTING THE TOE OFF to end the pain.

LL

Don't start making SB reservations just yet ... Coles is damaged goods and the Redskins know it, that's why came lookin for the one man they know they can roll, Terry Bradway

You are right...it all comes down to his foot.

It is a BIG gamble. If you let Moss walk next year no cap burden. If Coles comes here you are stuck with that contract regardless.

Which made me think, this board needs a cap-guru. Because when you take out the 13 million the actual cap # for Coles probably isn't bad. It would be a big hit for Synder though I would imagine.

Some register the name: FLOWTRAIN and answer these questions dammit.

Getting rid of Santana, IMO, is addition by subtraction. His babying of his poor little hamstrings set a baaaad example for the rest of the team, and the fact that our idiotic head coach encouraged him to run out of bounds on punt returns was just flat out embarrassing.

You are right...it all comes down to his foot.

It is a BIG gamble. If you let Moss walk next year no cap burden. If Coles comes here you are stuck with that contract regardless.

Which made me think, this board needs a cap-guru. Because when you take out the 13 million the actual cap # for Coles probably isn't bad. It would be a big hit for Synder though I would imagine.

Some register the name: FLOWTRAIN and answer these questions dammit.

Meow!!!

49ers | Interested in Coles - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:19:11 -0800

Updating a previous report, Jody Foldesy and David Elfin, of the Washington Times, report San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan noted the team would be interested in acquiring Washington Redskins WR Laveranues Coles this offseason. However, the 49ers are leaning toward signing a free agent wide receiver instead, according to a source.

Vikings | Interested in Coles? - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:11:38 -0800

Updating a previous report, Jody Foldesy and David Elfin, of the Washington Times, report several NFL executives believe the Minnesota Vikings are interested in acquiring Washington Redskins WR Laveranues Coles with the impending departure of WR Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders.

Archived