Herm & The Chiefs: MERGED

SouthernJet

He was a 1st time coach here, but now as a 2nd time HC, it seems the media is finally taking its gloves off...plus his rabbi, Tagliabue has retired..

POSTED 9:24 a.m. EDT, September 14, 2006

HONEYMOON IS OVER FOR HERM

A league source tells us that the reputation of Chiefs coach Herman Edwards is taking some hits in response to his recent comments that, in the opinion of some league insiders, constitute an implicit slap at former K.C. coach Dick Vermeil.

Deflecting the suggestion that he's too conservative, Edwards on Tuesday placed blame for the team's low scoring output in the season opening loss to Cincinnati on the offense that was in place prior to his arrival.

"If the people went to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play, that's the same offense they've watched for the last five years

b-bye offense

This dude hates Carl Peterson with a passion. He's clearly no fan of Edwards either.

Chiefs send message: They’ll stay conservative

JASON WHITLOCK

The Kansas City Star

Previous columns

Let me translate the message Herm Edwards, Carl Peterson and the entire Chiefs organization put out Tuesday afternoon.

The Chiefs are going to run the football, punt the football and play defense the rest of this season, and they don’t particularly care whether Chiefs fans have a problem with that plan of attack.

You might have missed the message because Edwards and Peterson disguised it somewhat cleverly by insisting that the Chiefs ran the old, Dick Vermeil-Al Saunders offense in the season opener against the Bengals.

They told you that because that’s the last time you’ll see it.

Good. I’m happy. The announcement should’ve been made the moment Willie Roaf announced his retirement, the moment the Chiefs failed to upgrade their receiving corps, the moment Dick Vermeil retired.

Instead, Edwards and Peterson didn’t feel comfortable telling Kansas City fans the truth about the Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders fireworks show until the reality of Trent Green strapped to a gurney sobered KC football fans.

Now, Peterson and Edwards believe you can handle the truth, though they didn’t quite muster the tummy to deliver that truth personally.

Peterson trotted out his trusty mouthpiece, Bob Gretz, to do the heavy lifting. Under the headline “It’s Broken,” Gretz viciously attacked the Vermeil offensive era on the Chiefs’ official Web site, characterizing Saunders’ unit as totally self-serving, glory-hungry and unconcerned about the team as a whole.

Now, I happen to agree with Gretz, and complained throughout the Vermeil era that the head coach and offensive coordinator came to Kansas City with the No. 1 priority of proving that they — not Mike Martz — orchestrated St. Louis’ Greatest Show on Turf.

It’s interesting to learn — through his lapdog — that Peterson agrees with me on something. Unfortunately, King Carl isn’t bold enough to point the finger at himself or even in the direction it truly belongs. On Tuesday, The King took a not-so-subtle swipe at Saunders, who is a known traitor to The King and is the $2 million offensive coordinator of Washington, 0-1.

“The Kansas City offense didn’t score many points in Washington, D.C., (Monday night), either, did it?” Peterson rhetorically asked reporters.

Saunders isn’t the true culprit. It’s Vermeil. He hated the way he was run out of St. Louis in favor of Martz. He hated the way the media gave Martz the credit for St. Louis’ offense. Vermeil fancies himself as an offensive innovator and Hall of Fame coach. He came to KC to complete his Hall resume. He already owned a Super Bowl appearance (Philadelphia) and a Super Bowl ring (St. Louis). He needed to establish a rep as a “genius.” You do that by scoring points and leading a great offense (Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, Mike Holmgren).

Martz stole Vermeil’s “genius” label.

Peterson and Edwards, Vermeil legacies, can’t say it. So Peterson blasts Saunders. And Edwards is trying to bait his critics into saying it’s stupid to continue to run Vermeil’s offense.

“Conservative? I was conservative in (the Cincy) game?” Edwards ranted in his Tuesday news conference. “If people went to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play, that’s the same offense they’ve watched for the last five years — shifts, motions. … Maybe I should change, because if we’re only going to score 10 points and we’ll get the quarterback killed, then maybe I should change the offense.”

Edwards’ point?

The Dick Vermeil offense got Trent Green smoked, and any of you fools who expect to see the Vermeil offense again better pass me whatever you’re smoking.

Why not just come out and say it? Why not just look Chiefs fans in the eyes and say: “We don’t have the personnel to run the offense anymore. The offense puts our defense in a terrible bind. And, if you look closely at what they were doing to score all of the points, you’d realize it wasn’t necessarily conducive to winning.”?

Because when you work for a general manager/president who is in his 18th year of operation without a Super Bowl appearance and has gone more than a decade without a playoff victory, you don’t have the necessary credibility with your fan base.

You can’t shoot straight. You have to play public-relations games. You throw pity parties. You paint the picture that you’re absolutely shocked that Willie Roaf didn’t report to training camp. You call the commissioner and complain that the hit on your quarterback was well outside the rules. You petition the competition committee to expand the number of playoff qualifiers.

When you’re in over your head and you’ve stayed too long, you make excuses, you point fingers and you speak in riddles hoping someone translates your points.

Lapdog #1...C'MON DOWWWWNNNNN!!!!!!!

Ease Off The Head Chief

Kevin Degraffenreid

WarpaintIllustrated.com Sep 14, 2006

It was hard to watch Sunday's game and come out of it with anything positive to say. The star quarterback got injured on a brutal hit, the Arrowhead crowd was silenced the entire second half and the Chiefs have to go into Denver 0-1 with absolutely no momentum.

Fans, coaches and even Carl Peterson were forced to put their head down in shame after what looked to be a close game in the first quarter. It was a bad day for Herm Edwards in his first game as the head coach in Red & Gold (or white), but he is not at fault.

[ :rl: Did he just insinuate that Herm shoulders less blame than the loyal fans who watched him??? And all Chiefs coaches are to blame except their boss. Gotcha.]

Traveling through Chiefs message boards all over the net, I was shocked and truly disappointed to see all the Herm Edwards bashing after just one game. Reading words like ‘conservative’ had me thinking that Jets fans really did get into some Chiefs fans heads. The truth is, given the circumstances, no coach could have done any better then Herm did in his first game. Dante Hall’s dropped punt, Jordan Black's horrid play and Trent Green's unfortunate injury cannot be put on Herm’s shoulders. There comes a point in time where you have to blame just the players. Herm did everything he could to lead the Chiefs to a win, but he’s not capable of overcoming inept personnel.

[That "point in time" is ALL the time for Herm. Wins = credit to Herm; Losses = blame to players/coordinators. Lesson learned.]

To call Herm conservative after Sunday's game is ridiculous. He was the exact opposite. He did very uncharacteristic things like running a reverse on the first play of the game, calling a fake punt and bailing out on the run game when the Chiefs were getting five yards per carry. Most fans have pointed to the second drive of the game when the offense was inside the 20 and ran the ball on third and five. When asked about this, Herm chalked it up to missed communication. He went on to say that Mike Solari made the error. That ends any speculation that Herm was shutting down the offense inside the red zone.

[And if Herm knew better than to let that play - and others - go through, he did exactly what about it?]

It seems to be a foregone conclusion that Edwards’ old ways will take over and force him to shut down the offense, but after watching the season opener it's pretty obvious that when Green is the starting quarterback, Herm will let Solari move the ball downfield. While Damon Huard is the quarterback, I expect the Chiefs will play a ball-control offense. It's the best way to try and win games and remain in the playoff hunt until Green returns.

Fans must understand that the Chiefs are simply changing the offense depending on the quarterback. The Chiefs won’t throw the ball as much when Huard is starting, but that’s only because he’s not Trent Green. The offense will look different when Green is back.

[only Trent Green is capable of throwing a football. Never, ever question that: if Huard stinks so badly he shouldn't be trusted to throw a forward pass, then what the hell is he doing as the #2 QB (placed there by...Herm Edwards)???]

This is not the time to question our head coach. This is the time to stand behind him and show him why Chiefs fans are the best in the NFL. Herm deserves more than one season and he certainly deserves more than one game to show what he’s capable of. [That's right -- we gave him five seasons and so should KC.]As Larry Johnson said, it's Denver week, and if you’re not pumped up about that, you’re not a true Chiefs fan.

Chiefs message boards,, its freakin hilarious,, they are already pissing on each other over pro or anti Herm, ,AFTER ONE WEEK!!!!

Go Enjoy, join in if you dare,,, I got banned after one mild post

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1

actually this site is actually starting to erase antiHerm posts,, this is the site that banned me for nothing..

http://www.chiefshuddle.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

I was already a member at Chiefshuddle. I just posted there. We'll see what happens.

On a side note, one of their mods actually has a sig that says "I love Johnsons."

BRCM50.gif

hahahaha,, ,good find..

actually huddle seems alittle more open minded than planetzero..

but huddle did totally REMOVE assmops thread yesterday

Jets:

In playoffs for 2nd time, moving fairly deep in playoffs.

Free agents who have reps of hard nosed smart players continue to flock to Mangini. Both Mangini and Tannebaum will have received extensions by now.

JetNation continues its dominance as the top Jet website.

Chiefs:

Have missed playoffs in all 3 of Herm's years. KC continues to get the aging, over the hill veteran free-agents who want a pasture to lie down in for the last year or so of thier career. KC fanbase has now figured out to get rid of Herm they must get GM Peterson removed 1st (sound familiar). Herm has alrady met several times with KC owners saying that if it werent for the ineptitude of his GM (also the guy who hired him) than he could have brought a great team to KC (sound familiar).

Brody Croyle still in cast. Larry Johnson was run so much he has jockey marks on his back.

Lia continues to rack up Sak's Buyer points at the KC malls.

I think it's safe to say he's going down in a ball of flame. I don't and never did harbor as much Herm Hate as a lot of folks, but the writing is on the wall. Funny (not funny "ha-ha", funny ironic) that he lost his QB. I wish Trent well, but I can't see a positive season here. Hackett this, Hackett that. Um, OK. Hackett played to Chad's strengths, such as the team was constructed at the time. It was the PREDICTABILITY that killed us. Hell, if I knew what was next, opposing D's sure as hell did. Larfs aplenty.

I think it's safe to say he's going down in a ball of flame. I don't and never did harbor as much Herm Hate as a lot of folks, but the writing is on the wall. Funny (not funny "ha-ha", funny ironic) that he lost his QB. I wish Trent well, but I can't see a positive season here. Hackett this, Hackett that. Um, OK. Hackett played to Chad's strengths, such as the team was constructed at the time. It was the PREDICTABILITY that killed us. Hell, if I knew what was next, opposing D's sure as hell did. Larfs aplenty.

you just very neatly wrote what many Jet fans had as biggest Herm complaint. It was a joy last week actually NOT BEING ABLE TO PREDICT EVERY PLAY

They didn't ban me, but they deleted my post. Before they did, one of their boys took the time to say that Hermie did not throw Vermeil under the bus and that I am all sorts of bad names for thinking he did.

It was probably deleted by some guy who loves Johnsons. :rl:

Chief fans don't deserve this.

They had no control of who their franchise was going to tamper with, and now they get this result.

Remember how we felt when Eagle fans rubbed Rich Kotite in our face?

i agree scott,,

its freakin worse for them than us though,,

herm has his eyes on KC GM job when Buddy King Carl retires in next few years,,they could have this idiot for decades

Lapdog #1...C'MON DOWWWWNNNNN!!!!!!!

Ease Off The Head Chief

Kevin Degraffenreid

WarpaintIllustrated.com Sep 14, 2006

It was hard to watch Sunday's game and come out of it with anything positive to say. The star quarterback got injured on a brutal hit, the Arrowhead crowd was silenced the entire second half and the Chiefs have to go into Denver 0-1 with absolutely no momentum.

Fans, coaches and even Carl Peterson were forced to put their head down in shame after what looked to be a close game in the first quarter. It was a bad day for Herm Edwards in his first game as the head coach in Red & Gold (or white), but he is not at fault.

[ :rl: Did he just insinuate that Herm shoulders less blame than the loyal fans who watched him??? And all Chiefs coaches are to blame except their boss. Gotcha.]

Traveling through Chiefs message boards all over the net, I was shocked and truly disappointed to see all the Herm Edwards bashing after just one game. Reading words like

One post = banned?

Sounds pretty trigger happy.

Must have been good........ I mean very, very bad.

Couldn't find the post SJ

Just saw a thread there titled Attention Jets Fans, basically telling Jets fans to stfu about Herm

Felt kinda weird trolling another team's board.

F Them.

They had no issue coming on our boards and warning us or giving us a big fat "I told you so" when Paul Hackett came aboard or called a draw on 3rd and long.

How quickly they forget.

I'll tell you what, though. They had better get used to it, because it will not get any better, not in that division. I'll give them wins against Oakland, only because they are so bad, but when the same old excuses pop up, week after week, they will hear it not only from us, but from the media.

Archived