Belichick, Mangini not so BFF anymore

RSJ

Belichick, Mangini not so BFF anymore

Coaches sometimes go way too far in trying to win football games. Not surprisingly, this time it's Bill Belichick.

The Patriots coach has never been known as one to fraternize with the enemy, unless, of course, it's to his advantage.

So it should come as no surprise that Belichick has cooled his friendship with first-year Jets coach Eric Mangini, even though they worked together for years and often socialized together when they were on the same staffs.

That's sick.

We know: Friends are friends and business is business. But to just throw a relationship away because you now compete against each other is foolishness.

Both men downplayed the talk that their friendship has soured, but the reports are that it has. The two spoke once during the summer, and that's it. Yet Mangini didn't think that was strange.

"I wouldn't call it odd," Mangini said. "There were points my mom was mad at me because I had not returned a call. And Julie (his wife), there's some nights where she's a little frustrated because I don't get to the phone quite early enough. I just think that sometimes that happens where you're extremely busy and you're trying to get the things done that you need to get done. I don't necessarily put any guidelines on friendships."

There have been reports that Belichick advised Mangini not to take the Jets job, something that was said to anger him when he did.

Holding a grudge? Would we expect anything else from Belichick?

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/9644480

Belicheck was never anything until he stole Parcells staff. He will continue to not be much of anything as a coach now that they are gone.

What are you talking about?

BB was a genius in Cleveland. That is why he once drafted a fullback in the first round and cut his starting QB in the middle of a playoff race.

What are you talking about?

BB was a genius in Cleveland. That is why he once drafted a fullback in the first round and cut his starting QB in the middle of a playoff race.

Are you talking about the guy who lead the 1994 Browns to an 11-5 record with Vinny at QB and who beat the Parcells lead Patriots in the Wildcard game that year?

Belicheck was never anything until he stole Parcells staff. He will continue to not be much of anything as a coach now that they are gone.

It is the age old question. Parcells never won without Belly. Belly never won without Bill's staff. The next few years will be interesting to see if one of them can win another one.

From the looks of it, it won't be Mumbles. His team is falling apart.

It is the age old question. Parcells never won without Belly. Belly never won without Bill's staff. The next few years will be interesting to see if one of them can win another one.

From the looks of it, it won't be Mumbles. His team is falling apart.

It won't be Tuna, Crennell or Mangini either.

Look, I hate BB as much as any self respecting Jet fan, he bolted on us and won 3 super bowls that could have been ours, but lets not pretend he isn't a great coach. Parcells is great in his own right, but BB has surpassed him record wise and it doesn't matter whose staff it was. BTW Parcells also left, and then unretired, he could have been our coach for the last 9 years and maybe would have won a supe for us.

Ahh, I wouldn't be so sure of that. I think BB has gotten a little to big for his own good.

I'll play along.

What has Parcells done since he and Belichick parted ways? Made the playoffs once.

What has Crennel done? The Browns looked improved last year but looked horrible in their home opener this year.

What has Mangini done? Won a game against the Titans after blowing a 16 point lead.

I'll play along.

What has Parcells done since he and Belichick parted ways? Made the playoffs once.

What has Crennel done? The Browns looked improved last year but looked horrible in their home opener this year.

What has Mangini done? Won a game against the Titans after blowing a 16 point lead.

Again Gainzo I know you are more knowledgable of a fan than that. Belicheck walked away from the Jets with a staff that had been together the better part of 20 years and had won A LOT when together. When Parcells arrived in Dallas he built a staff from scratch and had to teach them before teaching the players. Which is a lot more difficult and to pretend it is the same thing is not fair at all.

Again Gainzo I know you are more knowledgable of a fan than that. Belicheck walked away from the Jets with a staff that had been together the better part of 20 years and had won A LOT when together. When Parcells arrived in Dallas he built a staff from scratch and had to teach them before teaching the players. Which is a lot more difficult and to pretend it is the same thing is not fair at all.

Excellent point.

I was just trying to say that BB has proved that he is a very good coach regardless of who is "under" him.

The Pats lost Crennell & Weis last year and still made it to the 2nd round of the Playoffs (with some serious injury issues).

I won't miss Mangini at all. Before he was the DC last year all I knew about him was that he coached the DB's.

I'll play along.

Okay Gainzo --

Name the only coach in that list that has NEVER lost a game as a head coach in the NFL.

Yeah that's right, I took it there, lol.

Excellent point.

I was just trying to say that BB has proved that he is a very good coach regardless of who is "under" him.

The Pats lost Crennell & Weis last year and still made it to the 2nd round of the Playoffs (with some serious injury issues).

I won't miss Mangini at all. Before he was the DC last year all I knew about him was that he coached the DB's.

I'm not saying that BB isn't a good or even great coach. Just saying that he is entering an interesting area in his career though. He could go either the Lombardi route or the Chuck Noll route.

i think the main idea is, that while BB "respects" for example Saban, probably because although they're all cronies, Saban "earned" his job as a HC. He went thru the system. He descended even to the college level, and won a national title at LSU, and then ascended. He did it all step by step, thru his own blood sweat and tears.

No one could say Saban rode on anyone's coattails. So, while BB "respects" that about Saban, the opposite holds true for mangini.

Mangini was cherry picked off of the ball-boy scout team. He never had his own credentials outside of the opportunity that BB gave him. And all of a sudden he makes a leap from "amateur" to deservant of his own HC op? ANd back in Jet-land at that? That's gotta rub BB wrong.

He must not have much esteem for Mangini. While Saban is a "peer". Mangini will always be that pudgy ol ball boy. I'd bet that BB wants badly to embarrass the hell out of Mangini, establishing the Master role with force.

I'm not saying that BB isn't a good or even great coach. Just saying that he is entering an interesting area in his career though. He could go either the Lombardi route or the Chuck Noll route.

I respect your opinion on this. I think we should agree to disagree on this one.

BTW: Chuck Noll was a dick.

Are you talking about the guy who lead the 1994 Browns to an 11-5 record with Vinny at QB and who beat the Parcells lead Patriots in the Wildcard game that year?

Yes, I am talking about the same guy that in 5 years compiled a Herm-like 37-45 record with one playoff appearance.

Yes, I am talking about the same guy that in 5 years compiled a Herm-like 37-45 record with one playoff appearance.

You are better than that my man.

He took over a 3-13 team with a washed-up and injury prone QB.

He went 6-10 in 1991 and 7-9 in 1992 and 1993.

Keep in mind that in 1992 Kozar was injured and Mike Tomczak was at QB. That is a scary thought!

I agree that 1993 was a down year with Vinny at QB.

We have already spoken about 1994.

In 1995 they were 4-4 before the news broke that Modell (prick) was moving the team to Baltimore. Talk about a lame duck.

Archived