QB Volek to Chargers possible

faba

Thursday, 09/14/06

Chargers express interest in Volek

When Titans No. 3 quarterback Billy Volek travels to San Diego this weekend, he might be tempted to check out the real estate.

Volek said the Chargers are one of the teams who contacted the Titans after he asked to be traded last month.

1pix.gif OAS_AD('300x250_1'); 1pix.gif

Volek said he thinks there's a chance something could happen next week, after the Titans and Chargers play on Sunday.

"I know that they have a lot of interest. I know that they have contacted Floyd Reese and they contacted my agent," Volek said. "There is an opportunity for me there and it is a bridge I'll cross when it presents itself."

The Titans have yet to trade Volek because they haven't been satisfied with what they'd get in return.

Trading Volek to the Chargers before the game doesn't make much sense. He could divulge a lot of information about the Titans' playbook.

Volek is currently behind veteran Kerry Collins and rookie Vince Young. The Chargers are quarterbacked by former first-round pick Philip Rivers, who is backed up by rookie Charlie Whitehurst.

"They have one start with their quarterbacks and I know that they want some more experience at the position," Volek said. "I also have to do what is best for my career, and here they are not going to put a guy (Young) who is making $57 million at the third spot. They are going to put him at No. 2 and put him on the field.

"With Kerry bringing in more experience and still being able to sling it down the field, let me move on and do what is best for my career."

Volek was the starter the last time the Titans played at San Diego in October 2004.

"I don't want to create a distraction for this team. We have enough distractions right now," Volek said. "I am just taking it one game at a time.

"I have been blessed with three awesome kids and for me to complain about making money but not playing, it seems ticky-tacky. But I also want to be out there competing."

White ready: Rookie running back LenDale White, inactive for the opener against the Jets, said Wednesday he'll be active for Sunday's game against the Chargers.

"I am excited about it," White said. "I feel ready to go."

White was slowed by an ankle injury last week but could have played, Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said.

Now Travis Henry's availability is in question because of a turf toe condition. He missed Wednesday's practice and was wearing a protective boot.

Other injuries: Tackle Jacob Bell (toe) and fullback Ahmard Hall (ankle) also were wearing protective boots on Wednesday and did not practice.

Defensive tackle Robaire Smith (hamstring) and guard Benji Olson (hamstring) did not practice and are listed as questionable on the injury report.

Defensive end Antwan Odom (knee) and tight end Erron Kinney (knee) are out.

Archived