Good Riddance Domi...

toon88

Tie Domi retired today...not a day too soon in my opinion. Nothing but a goon and a thug throughout his career. There were plenty of "goons" in hockey before the rule changes, but he was more of a thug and cheap/dirty player, rather than the guy who goes in to start a fight to fire up his team when needed.

Had one of the biggest cheap shots in playoff history when he elbowed Scott Neidermayer in the head.

Don't let the door hit you in the @SS Tie!!

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2594507&name=FPT-2594507-091918&srvc=sz

There were plenty of "goons" in hockey before the rule changes, but he was more of a thug and cheap/dirty player, rather than the guy who goes in to start a fight to fire up his team when needed.

Not that I'll miss that creep...but I have to ask: How exactly is a guy who attacks another guy, who's done him no harm, simply to get his teammates "fired up" not a thug?

Tackling and checking is part of the game. Throwing your gloves and beating the snot out of someone is not. That makes you a thug. Regardless of why you do it.

(not that it isn't entertaining to watch grown men tumble around on skates....but I like watching jackass and dirty sanchez too.)

Not that I'll miss that creep...but I have to ask: How exactly is a guy who attacks another guy, who's done him no harm, simply to get his teammates "fired up" not a thug?

Tackling and checking is part of the game. Throwing your gloves and beating the snot out of someone is not. That makes you a thug. Regardless of why you do it.

(not that it isn't entertaining to watch grown men tumble around on skates....but I like watching jackass and dirty sanchez too.)

fighting WAS part of the game until the new rules the past couple of years. "Goons" were part of the game, and guys like Domi, Tony Twist, Krystof Oliwa and Donald Brashear were out there to be "enforcers" and fight when needed. Most of the time, they didn't "throw their gloves down and beat the snot out of someone." When their team needed a kick in the @ss or one of their players needed to be defended, they would go out against the other teams "fighter" and throw down. It was part of the game, whether people liked it or not.

Domi went to different lengths to hit people, and the Neidermayer hit was just the icing on the cake.

Just because it was IN the game, doesn't make it PART of the game. It was always against the rules, but apparently the referees of old never bothered reading them. They didn't really have to change them, just enforce them.

You want to fire up your team? Score a goal. Or flatten an opponent with a perfectly timed tackle. You don't have to turn it into some bambi-on-ice-amateur-boxing-night.:box:

That's one of the things I love about football. It's tough and physical, but without those toothless clowns that plague hockey.

Archived