Gil Brandt- tidbits from NFL combine

faba

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 25, 2005) -- On Thursday, the first full day at the 2005 NFL Scouting Combine, we had 42 players meet the press in the NFL media interview room. That's the most player interviews in one day. And they had quite the audience as there was a record number of writers from around the country -- 269, up from 170 last year. Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was among the players to be interviewed Thursday, while wide receivers Mike Williams (USC), Mark Clayton (Oklahoma) and Braylon Edwards (Michigan) headlined Friday's media sessions.

The most popular place at the scouting combine is Reebok's second-floor suite at the players' hotel. Last night, we had over 60 players stop by, as well as Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. One of the big attractions is the Foot Image Platform -- the eighth wonder of the world -- which studies the shape and structure of the human foot. Four digital images are taken of each foot while the player stands on the machine. From the images and measurements, the player can find out all kinds of information, such as what Reebok shoe would fit best and whether he will have future foot problems. Not only does Reebok use the machine here, but they are going to take it to China and Japan to see if athletes there need a different type of shoe than they do in the United States.

Here are some of the superlatives from Day 2 at the Combine:

Running backs

Heaviest running back (Group 4): Southern Illinois' Brandon Jacobs, 267 pounds

Lightest running back (Group 4): Kansas State's Darren Sproles, 187 pounds

Tallest running back (Group 4): Southern Illinois' Brandon Jacobs, 6-foot-4

Shortest running back (Group 4): Kansas State's Darren Sproles, 5-foot-6

Quarterbacks

Former FSU QB Adrian McPherson gets measured on the Reebok "Foot Imaging" machine.

Heaviest quarterback (Group 5 and 6): Oregon State's Derek Anderson and Arkansas-Fayetteville's Matt Jones, 242 pounds

Lightest quarterback (Group 5 and 6): Louisville's Stefan LeFors, 208 pounds

Tallest quarterback (Group 5 and 6): Oregon State's Derek Anderson, Arkansas-Fayetteville's Matt Jones and Arizona State's Andrew Walter, 6-foot-6

Shortest quarterback (Group 5 and 6): Louisville's Stefan LeFors and Virginia Tech's Bryan Randall, 6-0

Wide receivers

Heaviest wide receiver (Group 5 and 6): Northern Colorado's Vincent Jackson, 241 pounds

Lightest wide receiver (Group 5 and 6): Miami's (Fla.) Roscoe Parrish, 168 pounds

Tallest wide receiver (Group 5 and 6): Five players measured 6-foot-4 -- Pearl River CC's Larry Brackins, Georgia's Fred Gibson, West Virginia's Chris Henry, Southern Cal's Mike Williams and Northern Colorado's Vincent Jackson

Shortest wide receiver (Group 5 and 6): Northern Illinois' Dan Sheldon, 5-foot-8

Jacobs at 267 pounds it does not seem possible that he could play at that weight

Parrish looks like a special team player in NFL

Thanks FABA--I'm gonna steal that from you and paste it in the blog :twisted:

Matt Jones is weird...

On another site, a bunch of 15 year olds were agreeing that the Jets would be wise to bring him in as a undrafted FA :oops:

Here's the deal: I had him as a 3rd round pick back in October (going to Tampa or Baltimore) and Chris Mortensen of ESPN, who son Alex is a Razorback, confirmed yesterday (blog story) Jones is a lock for the first 3 rounds....maybe even 1st round.

It's funny how that group keeps projecting an average prospect like Junior Rosegreen as a "immediate impact player".....Yet really believes Jones will go undrafted :shock:

BTY, Jones isn't a "new name" to me....Arkansas' staff has been trying to get him to play WR for a long time....But he's the best athlete at the school (in several sports) and threatened to quit if he was ever moved to WR...

I guess he'll play WR for money, however =P~

Thanks FABA--I'm gonna steal that from you and paste it in the blog :twisted:

Matt Jones is weird...

On another site, a bunch of 15 year olds were agreeing that the Jets would be wise to bring him in as a undrafted FA :oops:

Here's the deal: I had him as a 3rd round pick back in October (going to Tampa or Baltimore) and Chris Mortensen of ESPN, who son Alex is a Razorback, confirmed yesterday (blog story) Jones is a lock for the first 3 rounds....maybe even 1st round.

R44 Your not stealing from me I am just trying any place I know to get info from if it can add to your guys site great.

Matt Jones is a project with good physical skills (albeit not QB skills ) so it will not surprise me to see him go in second round

It's funny how that group keeps projecting an average prospect like Junior Rosegreen as a "immediate impact player".....Yet really believes Jones will go undrafted :shock:

BTY, Jones isn't a "new name" to me....Arkansas' staff has been trying to get him to play WR for a long time....But he's the best athlete at the school (in several sports) and threatened to quit if he was ever moved to WR...

I guess he'll play WR for money, however =P~

Archived