Piniella wants A-Rod

uart

CHICAGO -- Lou Piniella, who will be formally introduced as the new Chicago Cubs manager Tuesday afternoon, wants to acquire embattled -- and possibly available -- New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

A-Rod, fresh off another forgettable postseason performance, spent his first seven big league seasons under Lou Piniella in Seattle.

Sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.com that Piniella, who is extremely close to Rodriguez, expects the Cubs to aggressively pursue the 10-time All-Star. The 63-year-old manager and the 31-year-old Rodriguez have what amounts to a quasi-father/son relationship; Rodriguez was managed in Seattle by Piniella from 1994-2000. It is that relationship -- and the tantalizing talent of Rodriguez -- that has prompted Piniella to want to explore a trade with the Yankees.

Despite the Yankees' insistence that they have no intention of trading Rodriguez, the former two-time American League MVP seems to have alienated fans and perhaps even teammates with his postseason failures. For the second consecutive year, Rodriguez failed to drive in a run and helped contribute to an early exit by the Yankees, most recently a 3-1 Division Series loss to the Detroit Tigers. In the final game of that series, Rodriguez was dropped to an unheard-of eighth in the batting order. He finished the series 1-for-14 with no extra-base hits and is 4-for-41 (.098) with no RBI in his last 12 postseason games.

Rodriguez has a no-trade clause and could veto any proposed deal. But the idea of playing for Piniella, in the slightly less-pressurized Chicago market, and for a franchise that loves star power could appeal to Rodriguez. So could a chance for a fresh start after a .290-35-121 regular season that wasn't good enough for Yankees fans.

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.

With the hiring of Piniella, it is understood that the Cubs will expand their payroll, which was close to $100 million in 2006. Depending on how much they want to spend, the Cubs are one of the few teams capable of taking on Rodriguez's salary. He is owed $95 million for the remaining four years of the landmark 10-year, $252 million deal, he signed with Texas. The Yankees are responsible for paying $66.6 million; the Rangers are paying the other $28.4 million.

A Cubs deal with the Yankees potentially could include third baseman Aramis Ramirez (career highs of 38 home runs and 119 RBI in the regular season), but Ramirez can opt out of his contract and become a free agent this offseason. It is thought the Yankees would also want a quality starting pitcher in any deal involving Rodriguez.

Piniella, who replaces Dusty Baker after the latter's four-season tenure in Chicago, agreed to a three-year deal, with a club option for a fourth, earlier Monday. He has hired most of his coaching staff and has decided, sources say, to retain Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Zambrano and Kerry Wood.

Wood is constantly busted, but if we make him Mo's setup man, he'd be damn effective. Why trade for Aramis when there is a good chance we can pick him up as a FA?

Zambrano is prob. the player we'd HAVE TO get. Maybe toss in a prospect or two and I'd be happy.

I want Cano too. And Wang. And every good young player on the Yankees, since apparently, that is what all of you Yankee fans want from the Cubs.

The NY Yankees will not trade Arod unless they get an ace in return.The Cubs have some good young arms but only 1 of them is worth trading Arod for. That would be Zambrano. Prior & Wood are both injury prone and I wouldn't risk it.

Of course any Yankee fan would love to see Zambrano in pinstripes but I just don't see the Cubs doing that. I'm not sure how the cubs can pursue A-Rod because they don't really don't have much major league talent.

here are the 3 cubs listed in the top 50 prospects. Notice no pitching and two guys in A-ball

Felix Pie, OF, Cubs (74)

2005 stats: .304 BA/ .349 OBP/ .554 SLG

2005 Club: West Tennessee (Double-A) ETA in Majors: 2006 Preseason Rank: --

Still only 20, Pie continues to move one rung at a time, putting all his tools together and winning titles like they're going out of style.

Brian Dopirak, 1B, Cubs (24)

2005 stats: .245 BA/ .301 OBP/ .387 SLG

2005 Club: Daytona (A Advanced) ETA in Majors: 2007 Preseason Rank: 40

It's been an up-and-down season for the slugging first baseman, with his power taking an FSL hit as he struggles late in the year.

Ryan Harvey, OF, Cubs (20)

2005 stats: .272 BA/ .321 OBP/ .517 SLG

2005 Club: Peoria (A) ETA in Majors: 2006 Preseason Rank: --

The 2003 first-rounder continues to grow into his power, leading the Midwest League with 21 homers and 86 RBIs in his first look at full-season ball

Call me crazy but I would even take Ramirez and Pryor. I think he will return in full form .

Prior (and Wood, for that matter) would be salary wastes, until they show they can stay healthy for more then 1 month per season. To acquire them for A-Rod is a waste.

If Zambrano is not coming back, then there can be no deal. Sure, there are useful pieces in Chicago, like Hill (who might be your #2 right now, given the health of Prior and Wood), kids like Pie and Harvey, and maybe Eyre, to help in the pen.

But without Zambrano coming back, there can be no deal. A-Rod is not a player you give up for just prospects, or unproven kids.

Even A-Rod for Zambrano is not an even deal. My take is that the Yankees should throw in some salary, and get back Pawlieck as well.

There is NO WAY that the Cubs part with Zambrano. He is theior ONLY effective pitcher. Aramis...yes but Zambrano..now way. besides....look at all the postseason failures that A-Rod has had...that is not a fair trade.

No if you want Wood and Aramis...ok...but Zambrano for A-Rod would be a raping of the Cubs.

LL

There is NO WAY that the Cubs part with Zambrano. He is theior ONLY effective pitcher. Aramis...yes but Zambrano..now way. besides....look at all the postseason failures that A-Rod has had...that is not a fair trade.

No if you want Wood and Aramis...ok...but Zambrano for A-Rod would be a raping of the Cubs.

LL

Therefore, as I posted above, there can be no trade with the Cubbies.

The NY Yankees will not trade Arod unless they get an ace in return.The Cubs have some good young arms but only 1 of them is worth trading Arod for. That would be Zambrano. Prior & Wood are both injury prone and I wouldn't risk it.

Who told you that? The Yanks want to rid themselves of that albatross known as Choke-rod...if you want a repeat postseason like this past one then you keep him. The cubs will not part with Zambrano...that is fools gold if you think they would trade him...

LL

If Zambrano is not coming back, then there can be no deal. Sure, there are useful pieces in Chicago, like Hill (who might be your #2 right now, given the health of Prior and Wood), kids like Pie and Harvey, and maybe Eyre, to help in the pen.

But without Zambrano coming back, there can be no deal. A-Rod is not a player you give up for just prospects, or unproven kids.

Even A-Rod for Zambrano is not an even deal. My take is that the Yankees should throw in some salary, and get back Pawlieck as well.

Baseball deals are not about even talent all the time.

Sometimes, they are about salary dumps and getting rid of quantities that are on your team, that you no longer want.

Baseball deals are not about even talent all the time.

Sometimes, they are about salary dumps and getting rid of quantities that are on your team, that you no longer want.

But no one is giving up a top talent, maybe THE top talent, in all of Baseball, for a salary dump. It's not like he is washed up, he's 31 years old.

But no one is giving up a top talent, maybe THE top talent, in all of Baseball, for a salary dump. It's not like he is washed up, he's 31 years old.

Did you see the past 3 postseasons? What does Choke rod add to your team? Let's face it....as far as the Yanks are concerned....all that matters are the October numbers and for choke-rod they are grim at best.

MBN you know i Admire you but even you cant argue that A-rod will bring in top talent...especially with how he choked in the postseason again. What was he 1-14 no rbi's?

LL

Simple question if A-Rod is the best player in talent in baseball why would the Yankees move him- maybe because he is not the top talent in performing in crucial situations and never has been part of a winning championship.

I want Cano too. And Wang. And every good young player on the Yankees, since apparently, that is what all of you Yankee fans want from the Cubs.

This article says that the Cubs want ARod. Since that is the premise and considering that he is the greatest player of all time, the Yankees will want a lot in return. They don't have to get rid of him. If the Cubbies want him, they have to pay.

Think about it. You will be getting the greatest hitter of all time (I am being serious here) and he plays SS. If you think that the Yankees would throw in anyone else that is just silly (Cano).

This article says that the Cubs want ARod. Since that is the premise and considering that he is the greatest player of all time, the Yankees will want a lot in return. They don't have to get rid of him. If the Cubbies want him, they have to pay.

Think about it. You will be getting the greatest hitter of all time (I am being serious here) and he plays SS. If you think that the Yankees would throw in anyone else that is just silly (Cano).

Max-The Yankees WANTED Bobby Abreu, also. Look what they gave in return.

WHY, WHY, if A-Rod is thhis great talent, would the Yankees even entertain tradinghim?>

Think there is some baggage there?

Max,

COme down from the clouds. He is the regular season best player of all time. He may be the worst player of all time in postseason. The guy chokes...he is a CHRONIC choker. He chokes when you really need him. If Choking was a sport, he'd be an Olympian! Everyone has seen his probs in the postseason, not many major leaguers like him and you know that in the Yankee clubhouse they dont like him much. With all that, I don't expect an ACE in return..maybe a #2 pitcher and someone else...but not a true ace.

Forget about Zambrano. You KNOW the Yanks will try hard to get rid of the Chokester.

LL

Max-The Yankees WANTED Bobby Abreu, also. Look what they gave in return.

WHY, WHY, if A-Rod is thhis great talent, would the Yankees even entertain tradinghim?>

Think there is some baggage there?

Correct. Suddenly now the rules of engagement change because it's the almighty Yankees looking to rid themselves of a player.

Sure Lou is interested. All of MLB is interested in ARod but it's the Bronx Zoo that started the he's available rumors so IMO no way the Yanks get Ramirez and Zambrano in return.

That's like the Orioles saying they want Jeter and Wang for Tejada.(sorry had to throw that one in there).

Correct. Suddenly now the rules of engagement change because it's the almighty Yankees looking to rid themselves of a player.

Sure Lou is interested. All of MLB is interested in ARod but it's the Bronx Zoo that started the he's available rumors so IMO no way the Yanks get Ramirez and Zambrano in return.

That's like the Orioles saying they want Jeter and Wang for Tejada.(sorry had to throw that one in there).

Wrong SIR. The rules change because there is a HUGE market for Arod unlike Abreu which was a pure salary dump. Also the yankees don't need to get ramriez he's a FA.

Wrong SIR. The rules change because there is a HUGE market for Arod unlike Abreu which was a pure salary dump. Also the yankees don't need to get ramriez he's a FA.

HUGE market? Who can afford to pay this Choking diva that type of money? not many teams...so you need to lay off the peace pipe. Choke-Rod doesnt have many suitors...especially after his performance in the past three postseasons..

LL

A-Rod has an unlimited no-trade clause in his contract.

Your HUGE market, just got a lot smaller.

The Phila Inquirer had a proposal yesterday that made sense-Burrell for A-Rod.

2 players that come up small in big situations, are pariahas on their team and have huge contracts that they are not worth.

Sounds about even.

A-Rod has an unlimited no-trade clause in his contract.

Your HUGE market, just got a lot smaller.

The Phila Inquirer had a proposal yesterday that made sense-Burrell for A-Rod.

2 players that come up small in big situations, are pariahas on their team and have huge contracts that they are not worth.

Sounds about even.

LOL His NTC dosn't matter because they would have to work out the deal before he'd asked to waive it. As far as burrell for arod that would NEVER happen. Cashman would laugh in their face if they offered such a joke deal. There is no comparison between Arod and Burrell. And the yankees would be trading arod to get PITCHING.

Archived