Bill Simmons on the Jets and Pats

PatsFanTX

16. N.Y. Jets (4-3)

Six easy games left on their schedule: Home against Oakland, Buffalo and Houston, away for Cleveland, Green Bay and Miami. That's right, we could be looking at the worst 10-win team in the history of the National Football League! I'm counting down the days until we can wager against them in Round 1. No, seriously.

3. New England (5-1)

Nothing has changed: Belichick knew he had the AFC East locked up in June, so he's using the September-to-November stretch to inject the team with some younger blood and see what he has. With that said, the Pats desperately miss two departed players: Branch (who hasn't been adequately replaced as a reliable third-down target) and Vinatieri (for obvious reasons). Now they're carrying an extra $10 million of cap room into the playoffs and banking on two rookies (Chad Jackson and Stephen Gostkowski) to fill the void of two valuable veterans. It makes no sense. As Frank K. from Orlando writes, it's "the sports equivalent of having unprotected sex with a girl when you have a condom in your pocket." I'd be much more aggravated about this if we didn't win three Super Bowls in four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061027

Actually, it is a fact.

If that happens, the Jets opponents would have a lower combined winning percentage than the 1972 Dolphins.

Please understand the difference between "opinion" and "facts".;)

The weak schedule is fact, however calling them the worst PO team is an opinion. I think it is you who need to learn the difference.

Well, let's hope these Jets have the same success as those 72 Phins.;)

Actually, it is a fact.

If that happens, the Jets opponents would have a lower combined winning percentage than the 1972 Dolphins.

Please understand the difference between "opinion" and "facts".;)

At least the Phins didn't need a "tuck rule" to advance in the playoffs that year.

Treat me like a fool...

Treat me me and cruel...

But love me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxOa6_hepQ0

2005 Patriots 10 wins came against teams that went 64-96.

Were the Pats fans complaining?

His NE comment was funny though but he covers it by speaking of past achievements afterwards like a Pats fan is prone to do.

Now they're carrying an extra $10 million of cap room into the playoffs and banking on two rookies (Chad Jackson and Stephen Gostkowski) to fill the void of two valuable veterans. It makes no sense. As Frank K. from Orlando writes, it's "the sports equivalent of having unprotected sex with a girl when you have a condom in your pocket."

I guarantee if we draw the Colts or Chargers in the first round, we will win a playoff game. Does that make both those teams worse than us? The Jags were the worst 12-4 team in history last year, or was it the Chargers the year before? Why do only the Jets have to hear this retarded criticism? The Bears could be the worst playoff team in history with their record (the easiest in the league) but why isn't this hack making mention of that? The Colts haven't beaten anyone good in the past 5 years, why don't people talk about that? They only faced 3 winning teams last year (or was it 2? the Pats are garbage) and lost to them both. They were hyped up as one of the best of all time, not knocked for beating weak teams. tx, get some new material, I thought we were over this schedule thing a few days ago. This is like the 4th thread that this has come up.

So the Jets have played teams that have a losing record. Are they supposed to say sorry for beating them. Or say hey we don't want to play the browns. they aren't good enough. The only winning teams the pats have beat are the bengals and the jets. let me know if i missed one of them. When the pats lose against the vikings let me know how bad you are going to cry tx.

1) I guarantee if we draw the Colts or Chargers in the first round, we will win a playoff game.

2) The Colts haven't beaten anyone good in the past 5 years, why don't people talk about that?

3) tx, get some new material, I thought we were over this schedule thing a few days ago.

1) The Colts or Chargers would destroy the Jets in a playoff game.

2) The Colts beat the Pats last year.

3) This would be a non-issue if the Jets could have beaten the Pats, Colts or Jags. The reality of the situation is the only teams the Jets can beat are 1-win bottom-feeding teams.

1) The Colts or Chargers would destroy the Jets in a playoff game.

2) The Colts beat the Pats last year.

3) This would be a non-issue if the Jets could have beaten the Pats, Colts or Jags. The reality of the situation is the only teams the Jets can beat are 1-win bottom-feeding teams.

1) I heard this line 2 years ago against the Chargers. We all know how that turned out. I've watched the Colts enough the past 8 years to know what will happen in the playoffs.

2) Yep, the ****ty Pats, the weakest playoff team in the NFL last year, as mentioned by countless sports "experts." The only reason they got in is because of the weak AFC East. But let's look at that specific game, I think the Patriots were missing what, 6 of their starters? Hardly what I call beating a winning team.

3) The Jags haven't lost at home this year, nobody seems to be able to beat them. The Colts are undefeated, if people are going to hype them up as the #1 team in the league, they sure as hell are expected to beat the Jets and 31 other teams in the NFL. The Pats, well, that loss bothers me just as much as it bothers you apparently. You are right, the Jets shouldn't be losing to such a ****ty team like the Pats. I agree with you tx, we need to win in 2 weeks.

whoa trigger-who's talking about PLAYOFFS? Not this Jets fan-not yet anyway,we still have a game tomorrow that frankly speaking worries me-and here is Tex in this thread comparing our season to the 72 Dolphins-because of a stat one of us posted (maybe me) last spring here at JN that I got out of an article that somebody else wrote about that winning %...PLAYOFFS? talk about those 10 wins when and if we get them

whoa trigger-who's talking about PLAYOFFS? Not this Jets fan-not yet anyway,we still have a game tomorrow that frankly speaking worries me-and here is Tex in this thread comparing our season to the 72 Dolphins-because of a stat one of us posted (maybe me) last spring here at JN that I got out of an article that somebody else wrote about that winning %...PLAYOFFS? talk about those 10 wins when and if we get them

That's quite true, we could very well lose tomorrow. We really do need to beat the 1 win teams on our schedule though. At some point this Jets team needs to beat the Patriots. I don't know if we have the tools though yet, this is still a rebuild year. We've found an offense, although I dunno if it will come to play against good defenses. Now we need a defense. That's this year's draft. A win against the Patriots would be huge though, there's a certain mental hurdle to overcome.

1) I heard this line 2 years ago against the Chargers. We all know how that turned out. I've watched the Colts enough the past 8 years to know what will happen in the playoffs.

What is that? If you watched enough football as you claim, you might have remembered what the Colts and Peyton did to two mediocre Broncos and a mediocre Chiefs defense. 1138 yards 12 TDs and 1 INT. Combined 128-65 score. I am guessing the jets will follow that trend rather then the one where the Colts get shut down by a stellar D (NEx2 and Pitt x1).

Now that could be your most objective post since you've been on this board.

See, it's really not that hard.;)

What is that? If you watched enough football as you claim, you might have remembered what the Colts and Peyton did to two mediocre Broncos and a mediocre Chiefs defense. 1138 yards 12 TDs and 1 INT. Combined 128-65 score. I am guessing the jets will follow that trend rather then the one where the Colts get shut down by a stellar D (NEx2 and Pitt x1).

The Jets already have a 41-0 pounding of the Colts with a mediocre team. History will probably repeat itself.

You are referring to one friggn' game that took place 4 years ago?:eek:

And you clowns always say that Pats fans live in the past.

You DO live in the past, we haven't faced the Colts again in the playoffs since then, when we bring up the more recent Chargers game you want to ignore that too (the other alleged powerhouse that we knocked off with our mediocre herm coached team). Meanwhile Patsie fans bring up SBs from YEARS ago. I have full faith that this team will knock off either Marty or Dungy and Peyton in the playoffs. I would take the Jets against the Chiefs if they got in too.

I don't know what the rest of you want but I would love to see the JETS in playoffs and eventually meet up with PATsies. We will play the schedule in front of us and as long as we are in who cares. The objective is to get in, compete and see what happens and the pats and the others

look like low hanging fruit.

:box: :box: :box:

You DO live in the past, we haven't faced the Colts again in the playoffs since then, when we bring up the more recent Chargers game you want to ignore that too (the other alleged powerhouse that we knocked off with our mediocre herm coached team). Meanwhile Patsie fans bring up SBs from YEARS ago. I have full faith that this team will knock off either Marty or Dungy and Peyton in the playoffs. I would take the Jets against the Chiefs if they got in too.

In case you haven't noticed, the Pats have won yet another Lombardi Trophy AFTER the Jets won one friggn' Wild Card playoff game after a rookie kicker missed a chip-shot, game winning FG.

Archived