Wow...no "Lets Trade D-Rob" threads today?

JonEJet

Maybe, just maybe Bitonti was right about this guy. He pretty much is a beast. I kept an eye on him yesterday, and he really is coming into his own.

Love the guy....I'm excited by the play of our Defense, we have a nice solid foundation with D-Rob, Vilma, Rhodes, Ellis, Thomas, and Hobson

This defense had really helped the likes of Hobson and Thomas...these two are also playing really well

Kudos to Mangini and Sutton

Hey, I was a big doubter - particularly with him playing the nose. But he's been doing a great job. Also consider that it's his & everyone's first year in playing the 3-4 (or for guys like Ellis the first time in 6 years), plus he's had to compensate for Kimo Von Useless playing crappy for most of the season. So given all that, I'll give it up & say I'm thoroughly impressed with his obvious progress.

And not just DRob; but everyone. There was so much impatience with the conversion to the 3-4. With continued progress we could have a real top-notch defense next year. And not one with a phoney-baloney higher defensive ranking that gets skewed b/c we give up gobs of yards vs the run so there are fewer passing yards & therefore fewer yards surrendered overall.

With the personnel we started with, this easy schedule was just what the doctor ordered for installing a new defensive scheme. We get to see results that might not have otherwise been there. But in doing so, we were not forced to prematurely scrap the whole scheme & try to start anew next year.

In '07, his cap # is like half what it is this year, so not having to find a brand new nose tackle would be a huge bonus for us - particularly since there won't be any available that could step in and start right away.

Cap issues aside, I think D-Rob is the nose again next year. Mangini has to like the progress he is seeing on a weekly basis. The guy is starting to take up space in the trenches.

The fellow making the most of this 3-4 to me is Hobson. I thought he would be a bad fit in this scheme, but he is absolutely a stud the past 3 games!! He and Rhodes are the biggest positives on defense, while the position switches for D-Rob and B Thomas have been positives.

oh yeah, I love how the d is doing. I'll be the first to admit I thought we needed to competly revamp with the exception of vilma and rhodes. But they are doing well. I still think we need another db. if we go d in round one. what position are you guys thinking we will go???:confused: :confused:

If we go defense in round 1,it'll almost definitely be a DE to replace von oldhoffen. I understand why they signed him (to help the younger guys transition into the 3-4),but now that its starting to look like the d is improving,he's clearly the weakest member in the front 7,and we have no replacement on the roster.

I think Cimini was right, DE is much more of a concern than NT now. We could still upgrade a few positions on defense, notably OLB, but otherwise we do have a pretty solid foundation.

Next year the biggest concern will probably be Gs (which you can plug in from day 2 picks) and an RT (which you can get in round 3). Then after that it's mostly depth, so we don't NEED to have a great player from the draft, we can rotate them in and see how things go instead. With maulers at Gs and RT, our rbbc approach should do better. If Clemens starts next year or Pennington can somehow stretch defenses, the run game will be fine too. I thought it'd be a 3 year plan, but we might be quite good by next year, an entire year earlier than anyone anticipated. Maybe year 3 is still the SB run though earlieest.

I was kidding, but we need a huge 350 pounder at the nose is all i'm saying.

We have one.

His name is Moore. He didn't get much in the way of stats this week, but he did a great job of filling space.

Right now between D-Rob and Moore we have an excellent NT team.

At the beginning of the season, and until a month ago I wanted D-Rob cut, not traded.

My Bad

Yeah, he's played well recently but I still think we would be much better off with a true NT.

I think the best case scenerio would be to get another NT, renegotiate D Rob's contract and move him all over the place on the D Line next year. D Rob reall seems to be understanding leverage, and technique at each position on the D Line which is why there has been such a dramatic improvement. He is even vastly improved as of late compared to 2004.

I think the best case scenerio would be to get another NT, renegotiate D Rob's contract and move him all over the place on the D Line next year. D Rob reall seems to be understanding leverage, and technique at each position on the D Line which is why there has been such a dramatic improvement. He is even vastly improved as of late compared to 2004.

What a difference coaching makes huh? I think Bradway is a great scout, but completely incompetent in terms of player's salaries and on how long to retain players. Hermy failed in taking advantage of the players Bradway gave him. I have a feeling that Mangini would have used Santana better too.

Yeah, he's played well recently but I still think we would be much better off with a true NT.

What available player do you have in mind? I was a big critic of DRob's but the guy is playing great now. Just because a NT weighs 330+ lbs doesn't mean he'll do a better job. We'll see if he keeps it up for the rest of the season, but a lot of us are big-time impressed with the job he's doing of late.

What available player do you have in mind? I was a big critic of DRob's but the guy is playing great now. Just because a NT weighs 330+ lbs doesn't mean he'll do a better job. We'll see if he keeps it up for the rest of the season, but a lot of us are big-time impressed with the job he's doing of late.

LaMont Jordan would make a nice NT if he beefed up. His days of beeing a RB are over, Fargas is the Raiders' man.

;)

I've been impressed with D'Rob too, if he keeps it up for the remainder of the season then why not keep him starting in 07?

Maybe we should trade for him to use on kickoffs. Is there really a difference between not getting a touchback 99% of the time vs 100% of the time?

He kicked it in the endzone 3 times with no wind. Usually there is some wind to help out kickers or screw them in the Meadowlands. Meadowlands touchbacks don't happen often.

In college he had tons of TB's, 5 yards deeper he now has to kick in the NFL and I'm sorry but I don't judge my kickers by TB's, that's just ****ing retarded ala Tx logic.

He kicked it in the endzone 3 times with no wind. Usually there is some wind to help out kickers or screw them in the Meadowlands. Meadowlands touchbacks don't happen often.

In college he had tons of TB's, 5 yards deeper he now has to kick in the NFL and I'm sorry but I don't judge my kickers by TB's, that's just ****ing retarded ala Tx logic.

It is not retarded. Nugent spots the other team an extra 5-10 yards with his lousy kickoffs. That makes about as much sense as saying a punter who averages 37 yards is doing just as good of a job as one who averages 44 yards.

And using the Meadowlands as an excuse - particularly in a game when there was no wind - is weak. Hall set the friggin' NFL record for touchbacks while he was on the Jets. Further, Nugent kicking 1-yard into the endzone is not a touchback, is not just-as-good, and anyway he only kicked it even that deep once in 7 tries. Regardless, it's still getting returned, and always past the 20 yard-line. A touchback requires a kick being a minimum of 4-5 yards into the endzone. Touchbacks at OSU is not remotely the same; the ball is different & they kick from 5 yards closer.

Here are Nugent's wonderful kickoffs & the result of them from Sunday:

• M.Nugent kicks 65 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 5. D.Wynn to HST 31 for 26 yards (E.Smith).
  • M.Nugent kicks 71 yards from NYJ 30 to HST -1. D.Wynn to HST 33 for 34 yards (M.Nugent).
  • M.Nugent kicks 63 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 7. D.Wynn to HST 25 for 18 yards (J.McCareins).
  • M.Nugent kicks 53 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 17. D.Wynn to HST 35 for 18 yards (J.McCareins, K.Rhodes).
  • M.Nugent kicks 59 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 11. D.Wynn to HST 36 for 25 yards (R.Washington).
  • M.Nugent kicks 70 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 0. D.Wynn to HST 21 for 21 yards (A.Schlegel).
  • M.Nugent kicks 70 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 0. D.Wynn to HST 24 for 24 yards (B.Smith).

He didn't even kick it inside the 5 on most of his KO's. Further, AT the goal-line is not "into" the endzone; the only one "into" the endzone was all of 1-yard deep & was returned 34 yards. The purpose of a touchback is there is NO RETURN and hence NO CHANCE of that happening.

7 kickoffs; 7x Houston began a drive from beyond their own 20; 4x Houston began a drive from beyond their own 30.

Houston's average starting position was their 29 yard-line & that's without one 50+ yard return skewing the rest. If the Texans had any semblance of an offense those kickoffs could've really hurt us.

It's about as likely to see the Jets get shut out for an entire game than see Nugent get a touchback this year.

Also I'm confused. If there was no wind, as you put it, then what's his excuse for again having zero touchbacks? If there's no wind then playing in the Meadowlands isn't really different than any other stadium other than maybe in Denver b/c of the altitude. How do you kick the ball & not even reach the 10-yard line TWICE with no wind?

Enough with the this-or-that Jets player has it tougher than any other player at the same position in the entire NFL. He was drafted high & got a multi-million dollar signing bonus to be a premiere kicker - if not THE premiere kicker. Not a so-so kicker in terms of FG's only, and one elite game almost 2 full years into his career. He can - and should - be judged by all aspects of his game. He has one job: to kick a stationary football.

He has a lot to prove.

It is not retarded. Nugent spots the other team an extra 5-10 yards with his lousy kickoffs. That makes about as much sense as saying a punter who averages 37 yards is doing just as good of a job as one who averages 44 yards.

And using the Meadowlands as an excuse - particularly in a game when there was no wind - is weak. Hall set the friggin' NFL record for touchbacks while he was on the Jets. Further, Nugent kicking 1-yard into the endzone is not a touchback, is not just-as-good, and anyway he only kicked it even that deep once in 7 tries. Regardless, it's still getting returned, and always past the 20 yard-line. A touchback requires a kick being a minimum of 4-5 yards into the endzone. Touchbacks at OSU is not remotely the same; the ball is different & they kick from 5 yards closer.

Here are Nugent's wonderful kickoffs & the result of them from Sunday:

• M.Nugent kicks 65 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 5. D.Wynn to HST 31 for 26 yards (E.Smith).
  • M.Nugent kicks 71 yards from NYJ 30 to HST -1. D.Wynn to HST 33 for 34 yards (M.Nugent).
  • M.Nugent kicks 63 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 7. D.Wynn to HST 25 for 18 yards (J.McCareins).
  • M.Nugent kicks 53 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 17. D.Wynn to HST 35 for 18 yards (J.McCareins, K.Rhodes).
  • M.Nugent kicks 59 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 11. D.Wynn to HST 36 for 25 yards (R.Washington).
  • M.Nugent kicks 70 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 0. D.Wynn to HST 21 for 21 yards (A.Schlegel).
  • M.Nugent kicks 70 yards from NYJ 30 to HST 0. D.Wynn to HST 24 for 24 yards (B.Smith).

He didn't even kick it inside the 5 on most of his KO's. Further, AT the goal-line is not "into" the endzone; the only one "into" the endzone was all of 1-yard deep & was returned 34 yards. The purpose of a touchback is there is NO RETURN and hence NO CHANCE of that happening.

7 kickoffs; 7x Houston began a drive from beyond their own 20; 4x Houston began a drive from beyond their own 30.

Houston's average starting position was their 29 yard-line & that's without one 50+ yard return skewing the rest. If the Texans had any semblance of an offense those kickoffs could've really hurt us.

It's about as likely to see the Jets get shut out for an entire game than see Nugent get a touchback this year.

Also I'm confused. If there was no wind, as you put it, then what's his excuse for again having zero touchbacks? If there's no wind then playing in the Meadowlands isn't really different than any other stadium other than maybe in Denver b/c of the altitude. How do you kick the ball & not even reach the 10-yard line TWICE with no wind?

Enough with the this-or-that Jets player has it tougher than any other player at the same position in the entire NFL. He was drafted high & got a multi-million dollar signing bonus to be a premiere kicker - if not THE premiere kicker. Not a so-so kicker in terms of FG's only, and one elite game almost 2 full years into his career. He can - and should - be judged by all aspects of his game. He has one job: to kick a stationary football.

He has a lot to prove.

Regardless of what the game recap says, Iknow that I saw two kicks fielded by the returner just inside the EZ. Easily the best Nugent has looked as a pro. Lets see if he can build on it and get the ball a few yards deeper, and do it with consistency. Like I said after seeing the two kicks. A yard deep in the EZ isn't great, but it's a start.

Regardless of what the game recap says, Iknow that I saw two kicks fielded by the returner just inside the EZ. Easily the best Nugent has looked as a pro. Lets see if he can build on it and get the ball a few yards deeper, and do it with consistency. Like I said after seeing the two kicks. A yard deep in the EZ isn't great, but it's a start.

Maybe it's the manner in which I write that may make some think I have some agenda against Nugent (or Chad or Martin etc). I just want to see the Jets in a superbowl once in my lifetime. When I write something critical about a player it's because I don't think we're getting there continuing with usually mediocrity at these positions (particularly when they're not in an easy situation).

So let me put it another way. I hope Nugent continues kicking FG's accurately. I hope his 54-yarder gives the CS confidence to let him try more in the future instead of punting from the opponent's 35 if it's 4th and >4. I hope his kickoffs start getting some much-needed distance with air underneath them so there aren't so many 30-yard returns. In short, I hope Nugent becomes what we thought he would be when we drafted him. He's on the team & under contract for a couple more years; it would be a shame to have to look for another option.

Maybe it's the manner in which I write that may make some think I have some agenda against Nugent (or Chad or Martin etc). I just want to see the Jets in a superbowl once in my lifetime. When I write something critical about a player it's because I don't think we're getting there continuing with usually mediocrity at these positions (particularly when they're not in an easy situation).

So let me put it another way. I hope Nugent continues kicking FG's accurately. I hope his 54-yarder gives the CS confidence to let him try more in the future instead of punting from the opponent's 35 if it's 4th and >4. I hope his kickoffs start getting some much-needed distance with air underneath them so there aren't so many 30-yard returns. In short, I hope Nugent becomes what we thought he would be when we drafted him. He's on the team & under contract for a couple more years; it would be a shame to have to look for another option.

Is it normal for a kicker to start getting stronger as his career does ? I can't imagine him starting to put them 5 yds deep next year or the year after that...

Don't get me wrong - I hope he turns into a great kicker - loved his FGs on Sunday ... but his kickoffs really leave something to be desired...:P

Touchbacks = Mean jack ****.

If Nugent keeps putting the ball inside the 7 (like he did on every kick on Sunday) then that's fine with me. Putting the ball between the 5 and the first few yards in the endzone at the Meadowlands is fine with me.

Sorry, but, touchbacks don't mean too much. It's an over-rated stat on this board by both you Spermy & Tx.

Touchbacks = Mean jack ****.

If Nugent keeps putting the ball inside the 7 (like he did on every kick on Sunday) then that's fine with me. Putting the ball between the 5 and the first few yards in the endzone at the Meadowlands is fine with me.

Sorry, but, touchbacks don't mean too much. It's an over-rated stat on this board by both you Spermy & Tx.

Like winning a rushing title by having 18 more carries more than the guy he beat out by a yard? Or maybe it's like having a career ypc average no higher than an average NFL RB.

I agree that FG's are more important than touchbacks. Let's be real. But to say it doesn't matter is just propping up your boy. If we got him off the street & he didn't get a 7-figure signing bonus we'd be a little softer on him. I hope he's everything you say he is b/c that's who we've got.

Let me ask you this: does it matter if a punter finishes the season with a 40-yard net average vs a 33-yard net average? Is that meaningless, or is that an overrated stat too?

Same here. One of those "0" is really a -1 or -2.

Archived