Idiot kicker released

Matt39

Cowboys release wayward Vanderjagt; sign Gramatica

By JAIME ARON - AP Sports Writer

2006-11-27 16:58

IRVING, Texas (AP) -The Dallas Cowboys released Mike Vanderjagt on Monday, apparently tired of his inability to live up to his reputation as the most accurate kicker in league history. Martin Gramatica was signed as his replacement.

The Cowboys gave Vanderjagt a $2.5 million bonus as part of a three-year, $5.4 million contract to shore up a position coach Bill Parcells felt cost the team three wins last season.

However, he was injured and inconsistent in training camp, plus reluctant to handle kickoffs. Parcells never seemed to warm to him and he was only 13-for-18 on field goals, the lowest success rate (72 percent) of his career.

Dallas (7-4) plays at the New York Giants (6-5) on Sunday. Winners of three straight, the Cowboys are first in the NFC East, with the Giants one game back.

The Cowboys did not release any details about the move. Players were off Monday. Parcells will next speak to reporters Tuesday.

Cowboys release wayward Vanderjagt; sign Gramatica

By JAIME ARON - AP Sports Writer

2006-11-27 16:58

IRVING, Texas (AP) -The Dallas Cowboys released Mike Vanderjagt on Monday, apparently tired of his inability to live up to his reputation as the most accurate kicker in league history. Martin Gramatica was signed as his replacement.

The Cowboys gave Vanderjagt a $2.5 million bonus as part of a three-year, $5.4 million contract to shore up a position coach Bill Parcells felt cost the team three wins last season.

However, he was injured and inconsistent in training camp, plus reluctant to handle kickoffs. Parcells never seemed to warm to him and he was only 13-for-18 on field goals, the lowest success rate (72 percent) of his career.

Dallas (7-4) plays at the New York Giants (6-5) on Sunday. Winners of three straight, the Cowboys are first in the NFC East, with the Giants one game back.

The Cowboys did not release any details about the move. Players were off Monday. Parcells will next speak to reporters Tuesday.

Nugent haters might love this. Should we sign Vanderjagt? He just got released. I know Nugent had a good game. However, I'm not going to jump on his band wagon just yet. He needs to be more consistent. With that being said, I still want no part of Vanderjagt. Any jet fans out there that would want him. Chime in.

wow, what a turn around on this guy's career. He was on top and now, in a blink of an eye, he's on the bottom.

He could never make the big kicks though. He missed miserably wide right in the playoffs against my beloved Fins. He missed miserablt wide right against the Steelers in the playoffs last year. If I'm notr mistaken, whenver the playoffs were on the line, he missed the kick.

Also, not that it really matters, but the year that he went perfect on all his field goals, he missed the game winner at the probowl(his only miss all season). Point is, whenever the game is on the line, he SUCKS!!!!

Nugent haters might love this. Should we sign Vanderjagt? He just got released. I know Nugent had a good game. However, I'm not going to jump on his band wagon just yet. He needs to be more consistent. With that being said, I still want no part of Vanderjagt. Any jet fans out there that would want him. Chime in.

:eek:

Lets see here.

Vandy - Old, doesn't handle kickoffs, 13-18 on the season

Nugent - Young, handles kickoffs and is getting better on his distance (has approved by a yard this season, not much, but TOUCHBACKS ARE NOT EVERYTHING, THEY DON'T MEAN SQUADOOSH!) and he's 12-15 on the season, 11-12 after Week 1's horrific performance.

:eek:

Lets see here.

Vandy - Old, doesn't handle kickoffs, 13-18 on the season

Nugent - Young, handles kickoffs and is getting better on his distance (has approved by a yard this season, not much, but TOUCHBACKS ARE NOT EVERYTHING, THEY DON'T MEAN SQUADOOSH!) and he's 12-15 on the season, 11-12 after Week 1's horrific performance.

and to even ASK this question the same week the kid goes 4-4 and one for 54 yards...

Gotta hand it to Parcells on this. High profile FA, brand new contract for the guy with a big SB for a kicker. And just like Bledsoe - perform or step aside & the chance will be given to someone who's either been out of football or never played a game in his life.

I love this attitude in a HC.

Somewhere just the thought of doing something similar is giving Herm Edwards an Annurysim.

Vanderjagt's kickoffs are better than Nugent's. TB had to start two drives on their 20 or less (and not due to penalties).

It's not meaningless & you wouldn't find a HC in the league who thinks so. Field position is all-important. Obviously being deadly accurate on FG's is MORE important, but you don't throw kickoffs away like they don't mean anything.

If a kick is returned to the 30-35, a team needs to go only 30-35 yards or so on the whole drive to get into FG range. A touchback & they’ve got to mount a 50-yard drive, which usually involves converting two more first-downs.

Archived