If Chad takes us into...

ECURB

If Chad takes us into the Playoffs and wins at least one game in them this year... will the haters finally back off??? Or will the haters still jump on him for every mistake?

Something tells me even if he won a SB for us that some idiots would still hate him for no reason....

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Chad takes us into the Playoffs and wins at least one game in them this year... will the haters finally back off??? Or will the haters still jump on him for every mistake?

Something tells me even if he won a SB for us that some idiots would still hate him for no reason....

I am not a fan of Chad. He played a fine game today, and against 2 weak teams he played well enough to win these past few weeks. When Chad wins or plays very well against strong teams on a consistent basis I will get off his back, but until he proves it on the field he deserves the criticism he gets. Right now what I see is a very weak armed quarterback who seems to come up very small in big situations. His weak arm limits our offense and his decision making ability this year has been very questionable at times.

He doesn't have any big team competition left this year unless we make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs we will see then.

The haters will never shut up until they win a super bowl.

It's hating to not be a homer? What you guys call haters are really just objective fans. You Chad fans are just homers. Pretty much everyone outside of Jets fans thinks Pennington sucks. If you were to go to opposing teams messageboards and not identify yourself as a Jets fan (or even if you did) chances are you'd hear the same criticisms a lot of us have of Chad, but probably a lot harsher, since at least most of us that post here are actually fans of the guy. He has a lot of limitations, and the stats don't lie. By any objective measure, he has been pretty bad pretty frequently against good competition. Winning a Super Bowl requires beating several good defenses in a row, something Chad so far has shown a complete incapability of.

I've seen absurd Chadinette threads claiming Brady or Peyton Manning aren't better than Chad and couldn't do better than him. That's absolutely ridiculous. Pennington is, at best, a mediocre QB. The "haters" are those that say as much. I posted a QB ranking a month or so back that had Chad ranked pretty much right in the middle, and I didn't see too much evidence or debate against that. If you want to argue Chad's ranking, just bump that thread and say why you think he should be placed in the top 10. If you want to be a consistent winning team in this league, you pretty much need that. The exception to that is possibly San Diego, but players like LT simply do not come along often, so we can't expect to get someone of that caliber. Even the Ravens realized the importance of solid QB play, and they have a monster defense. The Bears are pretty much universally being written off as a serious playoff team because of their QB problems. In this league, either you have the QB, or you have every other piece, and then pray and hope that you can get lucky one year and win it. With a good QB, you are competitive every single year and a serious threat. I'd personally be happy with just one though, but it's near impossible to build a team like that.

It's hating to not be a homer? What you guys call haters are really just objective fans. You Chad fans are just homers. Pretty much everyone outside of Jets fans thinks Pennington sucks. If you were to go to opposing teams messageboards and not identify yourself as a Jets fan (or even if you did) chances are you'd hear the same criticisms a lot of us have of Chad, but probably a lot harsher, since at least most of us that post here are actually fans of the guy. He has a lot of limitations, and the stats don't lie. By any objective measure, he has been pretty bad pretty frequently against good competition. Winning a Super Bowl requires beating several good defenses in a row, something Chad so far has shown a complete incapability of.

I've seen absurd Chadinette threads claiming Brady or Peyton Manning aren't better than Chad and couldn't do better than him. That's absolutely ridiculous. Pennington is, at best, a mediocre QB. The "haters" are those that say as much. I posted a QB ranking a month or so back that had Chad ranked pretty much right in the middle, and I didn't see too much evidence or debate against that. If you want to argue Chad's ranking, just bump that thread and say why you think he should be placed in the top 10. If you want to be a consistent winning team in this league, you pretty much need that. The exception to that is possibly San Diego, but players like LT simply do not come along often, so we can't expect to get someone of that caliber. Even the Ravens realized the importance of solid QB play, and they have a monster defense. The Bears are pretty much universally being written off as a serious playoff team because of their QB problems. In this league, either you have the QB, or you have every other piece, and then pray and hope that you can get lucky one year and win it. With a good QB, you are competitive every single year and a serious threat. I'd personally be happy with just one though, but it's near impossible to build a team like that.

I don't see anyone on this board saying that chad is as good as Brady or Manning. That being said he's a top 10 QB in football who is more then serviceable for a winning team. You can count the number of teams that have a "franchise" qb on one hand (no more then 4 teams) and even QB's who are drafted no 1 overall are no guarantee to be that. Chad is MORE then capable of winning with a good team around him as he is showing this year. If you think that Chad sucks you just plainly aren't paying attention. Chad is in that 2nd level of QB's but you can (and teams do) win super bowls with those type of QB's. All you Chad haters that want to dump him and Draft brady quinn would be setting the franchise back AT LEAST 2 years (probably more with all the draft picks you're gonna have to give up) and you're not getting a sure thing. The way the jets should win is to build up this D and O line not throw out a solid player for a question mark.

I don't see anyone on this board saying that chad is as good as Brady or Manning. That being said he's a top 10 QB in football who is more then serviceable for a winning team. You can count the number of teams that have a "franchise" qb on one hand (no more then 4 teams) and even QB's who are drafted no 1 overall are no guarantee to be that. Chad is MORE then capable of winning with a good team around him as he is showing this year. If you think that Chad sucks you just plainly aren't paying attention. Chad is in that 2nd level of QB's but you can (and teams do) win super bowls with those type of QB's. All you Chad haters that want to dump him and Draft brady quinn would be setting the franchise back AT LEAST 2 years (probably more with all the draft picks you're gonna have to give up) and you're not getting a sure thing. The way the jets should win is to build up this D and O line not throw out a solid player for a question mark.

There have definitely been several threads like that, and it was absolutely ridiculous. You probably just didn't see them, but trust me, there have been several posters that have made those assertions, and they've been serious.

I think there are 5 guys right now that can be considered franchise QBs, and 2 more that simply need to keep up their performance to be classified as such but look to clearly be on the way and are probably better QBs than Chad, or at least, are better against good defenses than him (although that's not too hard), and a handful of other guys that have proven more than Chad and at the very least he can't clearly be considered better than. For fairness, the 5 current franchise QBs:

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan Mcnabb. These 3 are the clear cream of the crop, guys that any other teams in the NFL would instantly dump their starting QBs for. The other 2: Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer. These 2 clearly make their teams better, and Ben has a Super Bowl ring, something that can't be taken lightly.

For the upcoming 2: Philip Rivers and Tony Romo. They've shown themselves to be capable of things Chad hasn't ever been able to do, and they're both fairly inexperienced so their potential is also higher. If they keep up their current productivity, they are clearly better. There is no indication that they will not.

Guys that have an edge on Pennington, but for argument's sake are at least on the same level as: Steve McNair (former league MVP, has been to a Super Bowl), Marc Bulger (has put up stats Pennington isn't even close to, and has taken over a few games), Matt Hasselbeck (been to a SB, led a very efficient offense last year).

That is 10 QBs, and there are a few more you could name, but I don't see the point of bringing up.

If Chad is in the top 10, he just barely makes it, and it is really debatable. The problem is his play against good defenses, he is absolutely awful more often than not. It is really difficult to classify a guy that can rarely perform well against a top 10 defense as a top 10 QB. At 30 years old, what you see is what you're going to get, and the chances of him improving are kind of low. I hope he does improve, but I think his problems are of the physical nature, so I don't know if he can. Frankly, I would absolutely LOVE if he could re-capture the 2002 form, but the guy has been through 2 shoulder injuries, and even before that, it looked like Oakland laid out the blueprint to beat him and good defenses have been following it since.

I hear Randy Moss is out of Oakland after this year. If the guy is serious about liking Pennington, he should take a huge paycut and come here, that would go a LONG way into making Pennington a more capable QB. When you're physically limited, a WR like Moss can bail you out and make things easier for you. Pennington's strengths are timing, accuracy and leadership. With shorter WRs, he has to be perfect every time, since he doesn't have the arm strength to make up for mistakes or take risks with small windows. A WR like Moss would give him the room for error he needs to perform like the naturally gifted top QBs in the league. I know the rest of JN says they don't want Moss, but I seriously think that would change the entire complexion of the Jets offense and Pennington would pretty much instantly vault into the top 5 in terms of performance. We really need to get this guy a big target, either a TE or WR, but this need is always ignored for some reason. Pennington simply is NOT talented enough to win without that type of option. Since it is so difficult to get a great TE or WR, and they have such nasty cap implications, most teams try to upgrade the QB position instead. That's why the Ravens ditched Boller for McNair, and why the Giants rolled the dice with Eli over Warner, and the Cardinals with Leinart over Warner, and the Titans with VY over Collins.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Donovan Mcnabb. These 3 are the clear cream of the crop, guys that any other teams in the NFL would instantly dump their starting QBs for. The other 2: Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer. These 2 clearly make their teams better, and Ben has a Super Bowl ring, something that can't be taken lightly.

Mcnabb's carrer is probably close to being over and he's a below avg passer anyway. Putting him ahead of Chad right now is moronic.

For the upcoming 2: Philip Rivers and Tony Romo. They've shown themselves to be capable of things Chad hasn't ever been able to do, and they're both fairly inexperienced so their potential is also higher. If they keep up their current productivity, they are clearly better. There is no indication that they will not.

I've always been a rivers supporter but COME ON. The guy plays with the BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD who would make any QB look good. Cotch (who knows more then you or I do about those 2 QB's) said that Chad and Rivers are similar players. As far as Romo goes he's been VERY impressive but for you to call him a franchise QB after 6 games is stupid. That was the exact same thing people did with chad in 2002. Romo should've had at least 4 picks tonight but because of that throw to witten and the giants awful D, everyone forgets that... What great D has he beaten?

Guys that have an edge on Pennington, but for argument's sake are at least on the same level as: Steve McNair (former league MVP, has been to a Super Bowl), Marc Bulger (has put up stats Pennington isn't even close to, and has taken over a few games), Matt Hasselbeck (been to a SB, led a very efficient offense last year).

I'll give you mcnair and hasslebeck but you put chad in that dome with 2 hall of fame WR's and he'd have the same (if not better) numbers then bulger (chad has always played very well in domes) who has never won anything anyway.

That is 10 QBs, and there are a few more you could name, but I don't see the point of bringing up.

Chad is right there with at least 4 of those guys if not more.

If Chad is in the top 10, he just barely makes it, and it is really debatable. The problem is his play against good defenses, he is absolutely awful more often than not. It is really difficult to classify a guy that can rarely perform well against a top 10 defense as a top 10 QB. At 30 years old, what you see is what you're going to get, and the chances of him improving are kind of low. I hope he does improve, but I think his problems are of the physical nature, so I don't know if he can. Frankly, I would absolutely LOVE if he could re-capture the 2002 form, but the guy has been through 2 shoulder injuries, and even before that, it looked like Oakland laid out the blueprint to beat him and good defenses have been following it since.

I love how the fact that the jets d could do NOTHING with gannon and our RB's fumbles didn't cost us the game but chad did single handedly. Did he play well? NO but he was FAR from the only reason we lost.

I hear Randy Moss is out of Oakland after this year. If the guy is serious about liking Pennington, he should take a huge paycut and come here, that would go a LONG way into making Pennington a more capable QB. When you're physically limited, a WR like Moss can bail you out and make things easier for you. Pennington's strengths are timing, accuracy and leadership. With shorter WRs, he has to be perfect every time, since he doesn't have the arm strength to make up for mistakes or take risks with small windows. A WR like Moss would give him the room for error he needs to perform like the naturally gifted top QBs in the league. I know the rest of JN says they don't want Moss, but I seriously think that would change the entire complexion of the Jets offense and Pennington would pretty much instantly vault into the top 5 in terms of performance. We really need to get this guy a big target, either a TE or WR, but this need is always ignored for some reason. Pennington simply is NOT talented enough to win without that type of option. Since it is so difficult to get a great TE or WR, and they have such nasty cap implications, most teams try to upgrade the QB position instead.

Our WR's are fine. Should we draft a speed guy later in the draft to stretch the field? I have no problem with that but Moss is no coming here. There is NO CHANCE that Mangini and Tannenbaum bring a cancer like that here.

That's why the Ravens ditched Boller for McNair, and why the Giants rolled the dice with Eli over Warner, and the Cardinals with Leinart over Warner, and the Titans with VY over Collins.

Chad is better then EVERY SINGLE ONE of those QB's who were replaced and not by a small margain.

Mcnabb's carrer is probably close to being over and he's a below avg passer anyway. Putting him ahead of Chad right now is moronic.

I've always been a rivers supporter but COME ON. The guy plays with the BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD who would make any QB look good. Cotch (who knows more then you or I do about those 2 QB's) said that Chad and Rivers are similar players. As far as Romo goes he's been VERY impressive but for you to call him a franchise QB after 6 games is stupid. That was the exact same thing people did with chad in 2002. Romo should've had at least 4 picks tonight but because of that throw to witten and the giants awful D, everyone forgets that... What great D has he beaten?

I'll give you mcnair and hasslebeck but you put chad in that dome with 2 hall of fame WR's and he'd have the same (if not better) numbers then bulger (chad has always played very well in domes) who has never won anything anyway. Chad is right there with at least 4 of those guys if not more.

I love how the fact that the jets d could do NOTHING with gannon and our RB's fumbles didn't cost us the game but chad did single handedly. Did he play well? NO but he was FAR from the only reason we lost.

Our WR's are fine. Should we draft a speed guy later in the draft to stretch the field? I have no problem with that but Moss is no coming here. There is NO CHANCE that Mangini and Tannenbaum bring a cancer like that here.

Chad is better then EVERY SINGLE ONE of those QB's who were replaced and not by a small margain.

The fact that you think Chad Pennington is better than Mc-5 pretty much says everything that I need to know about your football knowledge. You are a complete ****ing idiot.

If all Chad needs is a speed WR, why did he do nothing with Santana Moss? Why can't he do more with Coles, one of the fastest WRs in the league? Chad doesn't need a speed guy, he needs a big WR that can fight for balls and catch everything, something any QB in the league would be good with, hence you don't even really need Chad for that.

You haven't managed to make a single worthwile point. McNabb has been working with crap WRs and no run game for years on the Eagles, and constantly took them to the NFC Championship game. Before the injury he was putting up MVP numbers, but somehow Chad is better, haha. That's hilarious.

From now on I think I will just ignore everything you post.

That being said he's a top 10 QB in football who is more then serviceable for a winning team.

Brady

Manning

Brees

Rivers

Palmer

Hasselback

McNabb

Bulger

Delhomme

Big Ben

Romo is on the cusp of this group, but needs a little pedigree.

Chad is not a top 10 QB. He had one brief shining moment 4 years ago and has been an average QB ever since. Top 10 QBS do not go 6 weeks without cracking 200 yards. Top 10 QBs are not 23rd in INT%. 21st in TD%. 16th in YPA. 13th in QB rating.

Chad is not a Top 10 QB.

It is funny though. "More then serviceable" means he is a flawed QB, but the only one we have.

Brady

Manning

Brees

Rivers

Palmer

Hasselback

McNabb

Bulger

Delhomme

Big Ben

Chad is not a top 10 QB. He had one brief shining moment 4 years ago and has been an average QB ever since. Top 10 QBS do not go 6 weeks without cracking 200 yards. Top 10 QBs are not 23rd in INT%. 21st in TD%. 16th in YPA. 13th in QB rating.

Chad is not a Top 10 QB.

Others who have played as well as, if not outplayed Chad outright, this year:

• Vince Young: 14 total td's to 10 int's with zero NFL experience & far worse receivers. I mean look at the pile of crap he has to throw the ball to.
  • Matt Leinart - has played about as well as Pennington, and also has done it with zero NFL experience; despite having good receivers (one of whom didn't play 3 of Leinart's 8 games & got knocked out of a 4th early in the game), has no running game to take the heat off him, no defense to keep the game close so everyone doesn't automatically know he's passing, & no OL at all. In Fitzgerald's absence, Bryant Johnson dropped at least 2 TD passes right in his hands including a 50-yarder.
  • David Garrard - the Jax receivers must have dropped 20 sure-completions on him in 6 games that would take away any comparison. Other than 1 terrible game (which was not as bad as Pennington's bad game; 1 of Garrard's INT's was b/c his I-can't-catch receivers had the ball bounce off his hands up in the air & then got picked off), has a 7:0 td-int ratio.
  • Trent Green - is just a better QB and has been for years. Singlehandedly resurrected Eddie Kennison's career which was a big zero after his '96 rookie season until Green started throwing to him with pinpoint accuracy.
  • Damon Huard - was like the top-rated passer in the league with an 11:1 TD-int ratio, even with Herm keeping Tony Gonzalez in as a blocker for the first month of the season.
  • Michael Vick - Being a dickhead aside, Vick has badly outplayed Pennington this year; it's not even close. And despite Crumpler being a very good TE has no WR's to take advantage of his considerable arm strength. If he drops back to pass, the whole stadium - and you can bet all the defenses - knows where the pass is being thrown to since he's the only one who can get open or catch.
  • Steve McNair - 12 TD's to 9 INT's beats 13 TD's to 13 INT's (which doesn't take into account Chad's sure-int drops like yesterday) & has about the same yards in 1 less game. Also has another TD on the ground. Regardless, it's a tough argument to say that Chad's clearly outplayed him.

So that's what - 18 QB's who have played as well as or (like most of them) badly outplayed Chad this year?

He's a great guy & I've got all the respect for his comeback from two (TWO!!!) serious shoulder injuries/surgeries, but there is no way that right now Chad Pennington is a top-10 QB. A 30 year-old NFL veteran, he's arguably getting outplayed by a so-called semi-retarded rookie who can barely complete half his passes. Let's see Chad play with Bennett & Bobby Wade or Brandon Jones instead of what should be a deadly duo in Coles & Cotchery.

Mikey--you know what I think it is? I think that some of these I-hate-Chad-guys are the same crew as the glass-half-empty crowd we saw a lot of especially at JI this past spring and summer.What I believe is these guys don't REALLY understand the game of football as it's being played circa-2006.They refuse to acknowledge all the other stuff that goes into quarterbacking BESIDES arm strength.I could go on but I'll stop there.

So that's what - 18 QB's who have played as well as or (like most of them) badly outplayed Chad this year?

And madmike thinks that PennyBoy is an elite QB who is better than McNabb. :eek:

BTW, if the Packers DB's didn't have grease on their fingers, PennyBoy would have throw 6 INT's yesterday.

The fact that you think Chad Pennington is better than Mc-5 pretty much says everything that I need to know about your football knowledge. You are a complete ****ing idiot.

If all Chad needs is a speed WR, why did he do nothing with Santana Moss? Why can't he do more with Coles, one of the fastest WRs in the league? Chad doesn't need a speed guy, he needs a big WR that can fight for balls and catch everything, something any QB in the league would be good with, hence you don't even really need Chad for that.

You haven't managed to make a single worthwile point. McNabb has been working with crap WRs and no run game for years on the Eagles, and constantly took them to the NFC Championship game. Before the injury he was putting up MVP numbers, but somehow Chad is better, haha. That's hilarious.

Mcnabb is a running QB with no ligaments his knee who won't play till November at the earliest. If you want to take that over Chad you are mentally retarded.

Chad was ONE FG away from the AFC championship game with moss here. Does that count as nothing?

Mikey--you know what I think it is? I think that some of these I-hate-Chad-guys are the same crew as the glass-half-empty crowd we saw a lot of especially at JI this past spring and summer.What I believe is these guys don't REALLY understand the game of football as it's being played circa-2006.They refuse to acknowledge all the other stuff that goes into quarterbacking BESIDES arm strength.I could go on but I'll stop there.
You couldn't be more right. These are the same morons who circle jerked with the patsy trolls saying the jets would go 2-14 this year and now they are trying to find ways to spin this great season.

Chad was ONE FG away from the AFC championship game with moss here. Does that count as nothing?

PennyBoy put 3 whopping points on the scoreboard in 5 quarters of football against the Steelers.

The reason the Jets did not play in the AFC Championship game was because of his poor performance against another good defense.

And madmike thinks that PennyBoy is an elite QB who is better than McNabb. :eek:

BTW, if the Packers DB's didn't have grease on their fingers, PennyBoy would have throw 6 INT's yesterday.

I never said Chad was an elite QB but that won't stop you from putting words in my mouth. I said he was better then a running QB who will never be a running QB again because his knee is hamburger.

PennyBoy put 3 whopping points on the scoreboard in 5 quarters of football against the Steelers.

The reason the Jets did not play in the AFC Championship game was because of his poor performance against another good defense.

Of course it's all his fault. Not the chip shot missed FG's.

You couldn't be more right. These are the same morons who circle jerked with the patsy trolls saying the jets would go 2-14 this year and now they are trying to find ways to spin this great season.

and I swear it almost seems like the same contingent is wishing we'd fail so they could be proved right and Kellen Clemens is anointed starter...some hope sooner than later

Seriously, the name calling really isn't necessary. Putting him on ignore because you don't agree with him is also not necessary. You did the same thing to me, remember? You really get way too heated in these discussions. Just take a step back, realize his opinion differs from yours and move on. Calling him a ****ing idiot is just going too far. You've told me in PM's that you like a good debate, but how is anyone supposed to debate you when you bring out the insults.

Seriously, the name calling really isn't necessary. Putting him on ignore because you don't agree with him is also not necessary. You did the same thing to me, remember? You really get way too heated in these discussions. Just take a step back, realize his opinion differs from yours and move on. Calling him a ****ing idiot is just going too far. You've told me in PM's that you like a good debate, but how is anyone supposed to debate you when you bring out the insults.

All he likes is to circle jerk with resident patsy trolls or his other bandwaggon chad haters and root for this team to fail.

Brady

Manning

Brees

Rivers

Palmer

Hasselback

McNabb

Bulger

Delhomme

Big Ben

Chad is not a Top 10 QB.

It is funny though. "More then serviceable" means he is a flawed QB, but the only one we have.

Putting Romo there after 5 games as a starter is a bit of a stretch, don't you think. Alos Big Ben and Hasslebeck are just game managers, nothing more. Neither will win the game for you on their own. They should not be on the list

Putting Romo there after 5 games as a starter is a bit of a stretch, don't you think. Alos Big Ben and Hasslebeck are just game managers, nothing more. Neither will win the game for you on their own. They should not be on the list

I will say this DNA-I was really impressed with that last throw by Romo-it was Brady-esque

Chad is better then Brees, Delhomme and Bulger too.

I will say this DNA-I was really impressed with that last throw by Romo-it was Brady-esque

Agreed SoFla, beautiful throw and nice catch and I was delighted to see it drive a dagger through the heart of the Midgets. I just wouldn't put him on the cusp of being a current top 10 QB after 5 games.

Agreed SoFla, beautiful throw and nice catch and I was delighted to see it drive a dagger through the heart of the Midgets. I just wouldn't put him on the cusp of being a current top 10 QB after 5 games.

This just in from the Chad haters: Derek Anderson is better then Chad.

oh no I'm not saying that DNA-but he COULD be a great one in a couple of years...I'd like to see what he looks like with a full season under his belt before I rank him anywhere near Chad Pennington.He has a top 3 WR,a damn good 1-2 punch at RB and a HOF coach tutoring him-that goes a long way

All he likes is to circle jerk with resident patsy trolls or his other bandwaggon chad haters and root for this team to fail.

I don't think that's true at all. Hating Chad doesn't automatically equate to wanting the team to fail. He wants the Jets to win as much as the next guy, he just doesn't want Chad to be the QB. He's entitled to that opinion of Chad.

Now, the Patsy trolls, especially TX, just like to stir **** up. That's what they're here for :)

I don't think that's true at all. Hating Chad doesn't automatically equate to wanting the team to fail. He wants the Jets to win as much as the next guy, he just doesn't want Chad to be the QB. He's entitled to that opinion of Chad.

Now, the Patsy trolls, especially TX, just like to stir **** up. That's what they're here for :)

If you read this guy's posts it's clear that he's rooting for the Jets to lose and he makes up excuses why they win to get Chad out of here. Don't imply that the trolls serve a purpose. All they do is hijack thread after thread with their bull****. Thats not serving a purpose.

According to some of the other threads .. the only stat that matters for a QB is WINS! Chad has them winning a Hell of a lot more then anyone thought this year. Good for him, he has worked his A$$ off and gives us the best chance to win right now .

Archived