Belichick's worst nightnmare

EM31

The Jets at Foxboro in the playoffs.

There is ZERO and I do mean ZERO upside for him in that matchup but there is a Grand Canyon's worth of downside if the Patriots should fall to the Jets.

Setting aside for the moment the mass suicide's of people named Shasta and PatsFanTX....

If the Patriots were to win such a contest, well then the 3-time Superbowl winning New England Patriots wuold simply have done the expected. *yawn* They would have beaten a rookie head Coach and coach of the Year candidate who got the previosly 4-12 Jets into the playoffs against all the odds in his first season as a head coach. Maybe all they did was beat a bottom feeding team who lucked into the playoffs because of an easy schedule. Now if they were to lose on the other hand.... Now that is almost too delicious to contemplate.

The Jets are simply not lucky enough for the gods to give us such a matchup but my fingers are crossed.

There is ZERO and I do mean ZERO upside for him in that matchup but there is a Grand Canyon's worth of downside if the Patriots should fall to the Jets.

Setting aside for the moment the mass suicide's of people named Shasta and PatsFanTX....

If the Patriots were to win such a contest, well then the 3-time Superbowl winning New England Patriots wuold simply have done the expected. *yawn* They would have beaten a rookie head Coach and coach of the Year candidate who got the previosly 4-12 Jets into the playoffs against all the odds in his first season as a head coach. Maybe all they did was beat a bottom feeding team who lucked into the playoffs because of an easy schedule. Now if they were to lose on the other hand.... Now that is almost too delicious to contemplate.

The Jets are simply not lucky enough for the gods to give us such a matchup but my fingers are crossed.

Peyton Manning and a loaded Colts team can't win in Foxboro in the playoffs.

Why the hell do we want to be playing in Foxboro?

Peyton Manning and a loaded Colts team can't win in Foxboro in the playoffs.

Why the hell do we want to be playing in Foxboro?

his post is refering to a big upset they are expected to beat us but if we won it that would be something... and oh yea that right we beat them there already...

his post is refering to a big upset they are expected to beat us but if we won it that would be something... and oh yea that right we beat them there already...

no kidding chief. But the playoffs and the regular season are two entirely different animals.

I agree it would be a big upset. But I'm sitting here hoping we play them at Foxboro in teh playoffs either.

no kidding chief. But the playoffs and the regular season are two entirely different animals.

I agree it would be a big upset. But I'm sitting here hoping we play them at Foxboro in teh playoffs either.

I would love to play in Foxboro in the playoffs. Just to have the opportunity to look forward to that game would be worth it alone. I'm growing in confidence for this Jets team. They've turned a corner.

They're not just bottom feeding, they just put up a 31 - 0 half against an NFL football team on the road.

I'd rather play the Pats than anyone else in the playoffs from the AFC.

Baltimore - Tough, but beatable

San Diego - Playing at a high level, not sure we could beat them this year

Indy - Would rather not play Manning in a dome

Patriots - Solid team, but extremely winnable game

"Entirely different animals" eh? No sh1t, really? Please tell me that they should play them one game one at a time or that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains.

Guess what? Everyone you play on the road in the playoffs is likely to be pretty darned good er... chief. Unless you play in a totally crap division that usually means you are a wildcard going on the road to face a divisional winner. So to get a team you have already split two games with and where you have already won at their house is almost certainly no worse than anywhere else you might be called upon to play.

Bub.

But that wasn't the point of this thread. The point of the thread was to consider this whole scenario from Bill Belichik's perspective. I cunningly and subtly disguised this under the thread title of "Belichick's worst nightmare" so as to throw off unsuspecting posters such as yourself. The case, as it was laid out there by yours truly in the ORIGINAL POST was that, should this scenario eventuate, that the professor would be in something of a "no win" situation. He wins, so what? He only did what he was supposed to do. If he loses on the other hand then sports writers across the planet have headlines for weeks, if not seasons to come. Not to mention we all get to opine over the likelihood of a another non-handshake handshake at the end of the game. In any event I for one would be more interested to belly up to a bar and watch THAT playoff game than any other matchup I can think of.

Capiche?

i want to see us play the pats once more as well, and as crazy as it sounds...i want another shot at the colts. We came close the first time, and we are leaps and bounds better than we were then. It could be argued the colts are WORSE than they were earlier in the season

I would LOVE for the Jets to head to Foxborough in the 1st round. Not only would I probably end up being at the game, but knowing that Mangini can beat Belichick and knowing we have just beaten them just a month ago, is something great to know confidence wise going into the game.

I would LOVE for the Jets to head to Foxborough in the 1st round. Not only would I probably end up being at the game, but knowing that Mangini can beat Belichick and knowing we have just beaten them just a month ago, is something great to know confidence wise going into the game.

That game would be a huge blowout in favor of the Pats.

The Pats played their worst game of the year against the Jets and something like that wouldn't happen again, especially in the playoffs.

The Pats played their worst game of the year against the Jets and something like that wouldn't happen again, especially in the playoffs.

Incorrect.

Your worst game was against Denver.

Blowout? Right.

I'd be surprised if the Pats won with the way both teams are playing currently, let alone win in a blowout.

no no no you got it all wrong they didnt play there worst game of the year if you listen to the people that actually played in the game like seymore you would know we out played them and out coached them in every aspect of the game...your precious QB was confused at what the D was doing and if you remember he called time out cause he had no idea what was coming at him....

Here is some Jets' fan speak, how does the Jets' victory translate to a January playoff game?

It doesn't. Why Jets' fan think they will get the drop on the Patriots again is foolish. As I said earlier today, the only thing that translate is Mangini's familiarity with the Patriots.

However, he will not have two weeks to pick apart the Patriots like he did before. The Jets are going to be going hard until the playoffs start. He will then have 6 or 7 days to get the Jets ready.

The Patriots will not take the Jets for granted again. Whether it was a hangover from the Colts game or just the masterfully crafted and executed game plan of the Jets, more of the latter IMHO, the Patriots are not going to look past the Jets this time.

I think it will be a battle, but the Patriots will not get caught off guard again.

Here is some Jets' fan speak, how does the Jets' victory translate to a January playoff game?

It doesn't. Why Jets' fan think they will get the drop on the Patriots again is foolish. As I said earlier today, the only thing that translate is Mangini's familiarity with the Patriots.

However, he will not have two weeks to pick apart the Patriots like he did before. The Jets are going to be going hard until the playoffs start. He will then have 6 or 7 days to get the Jets ready.

The Patriots will not take the Jets for granted again. Whether it was a hangover from the Colts game or just the masterfully crafted and executed game plan of the Jets, more of the latter IMHO, the Patriots are not going to look past the Jets this time.

I think it will be a battle, but the Patriots will not get caught off guard again.

You missed the point. The Patriots don't want this matchup because the Jets will have absolutely nothing to lose. They already would have FAR exceeded expectations, and would be playing for respect. The Patriots would have all the pressure in the world to win this game.

You missed the point. The Patriots don't want this matchup because the Jets will have absolutely nothing to lose. They already would have FAR exceeded expectations, and would be playing for respect. The Patriots would have all the pressure in the world to win this game.

This is not Boise State vs Oklahoma.

These teams are actually playing for a real and not a fictional championship.

By virtue of their victory last month, they will have expectations that they can win. They will tense up like any team if things start going bad. They might speculate on exceeding expectations after losing, but they would go there to win the game. Remember, "you play to win the game."

You miss the point. I am not predicting anything. Like any other Jets fan I would be rooting like hell for my team to succeed but I certainly would not go so far as to predict a win for the Jets.

My prediction is simply that BB has a hell of a lot more to lose in such an encounter than Eric Mangini or the Jets do. Simple as that. End of story. If you ask what I think will happen? Well I do not think that game would be a lock for the Pats. Regardless of all that the game would be as big a spectacle as we have seen within the AFC East as any in my memory. Maybe not as big as an AFC championship game would have been a few years ago if we make a kick in Pittsbugh but actually I think it might even be bigger than that one. We have the whole non-handshake thing going on here in addition to the snippiness that has existed between the two franchises in recent years. That game if it had happened a few years ago would simply have been Herm's Jets Vs. BB's Patriots. This would be The no handshake Professor Vs. Disciple.

Please tell me that you understand how much interest such a game would generate, particularly here in the north east.

The Patriots don't want this matchup because the Jets will have absolutely nothing to lose. They already would have FAR exceeded expectations, and would be playing for respect. The Patriots would have all the pressure in the world to win this game.

Like PFSIKH said, this is not college football.

This is the NFL playoffs, if you win, you continue, if you lose, you go home.

To say the Pats would not want to face the Jets would be ridiculous.

I'm sure the Pats would rather face the Colts, Broncos, Chargers or Bengals. :eek:

Like PFSIKH said, this is not college football.

This is the NFL playoffs, if you win, you continue, if you lose, you go home.

To say the Pats would not want to face the Jets would be ridiculous.

I'm sure the Pats would rather face the Colts, Broncos, Chargers or Bengals. :eek:

Tell me you would not relish a Jets-Pats playoff game. Tell me there would not be just a little extra involved over an above what comes with any other playoff game.

Tell me you would not relish a Jets-Pats playoff game. Tell me there would not be just a little extra involved over an above what comes with any other playoff game.

Of course I would.

What Pats fans wouldn't want to play the Jets in the playoffs?

That would be an automatic win for the Pats and advance to the next round. ;)

Reasons, let's see now...Stuff like mojo, and irony, and SWEET REVENGE.

37108-glen-campbell-overserved.jpg

Of course I would.

Yeah, like it was an automatic sweep this year, right?:yawn:

Of course I would.

LOL... OK TX, I admit it. You're good. That one tickled my funny bone. Now if only you would develop some kind of a distaste for doing business with pugilists in the lighter weight classes.

Archived