Anybody else feel bad for Schlegel?

SoFlaJets

Sperm, I have to agree with you. Which isn't too often by the way. The schelgal pick would have been fine. in round 6. Magini reached on him because he was a character guy with football smarts. He missed one part of the equation. Will he become a good nfl player. There was a lot of talent left on the board that we should have considered. The hindsite issue doesn't come into play because tons of Jet fans were scratching their heads wondering why we would chose a lb when that is one of our strength positions. Now, had we picked giles or norwood or some of the others you listed and were debating which one would have been better that would have been hindsite because they were rated around the same area. Schelgal was a reach, Magini wanted to make a statement about picking character over talent and we lost out on a player that is better now then Schelgal. Not saying that Schelal doesn't have a chance to get better. Just that the talent we passed up on wan't even close to Schelgal.

So, what you and Sperm are actually saying is that if the Jets had taken Schlegel in the 5th or 6th round and he had made the team and had the exact same season as he has had, that you would have no problem with him or his play?

How is fair to Schlegal and his potential contributions to the team to base them on where the team decided to pick him?

The only thing that would be different would be your expectations which have nothing to do with Schlegel or his abilities, but instead your perception of the draft.

So, what you and Sperm are actually saying is that if the Jets had taken Schlegel in the 5th or 6th round and he had made the team and had the exact same season as he has had, that you would have no problem with him or his play?

YES!

You don't have the same expectations of a 6th round pick that you do for an early 3rd round pick in a sickly-deep draft. The draft is not a total crap-shoot. That's why some players get graded higher than others & get picked earlier than others. No one would care about Pouha's development or be as critical of Nugent if they were drafted towards the end of day two. The feeling is that even if they didn't work out, what are the odds you would've found a very good player that late anyway?

Now you get it.

Glad to be of assistance.

YES!

You don't have the same expectations of a 6th round pick that you do for an early 3rd round pick in a sickly-deep draft. The draft is not a total crap-shoot. That's why some players get graded higher than others & get picked earlier than others. No one would care about Pouha's development or be as critical of Nugent if they were drafted towards the end of day two. The feeling is that even if they didn't work out, what are the odds you would've found a very good player that late anyway?

Now you get it.

Glad to be of assistance.

So you readily admit that your criticism of Schlegel's and Smith's play (or lack of play) is a product of your opinion of his draft position. That your unhappiness with him is based on your own inability to stop thinking yeah but we could have had different RB, or an extra bench sitting guard, or an extra bench sitting NT, or a somewhat more productive safety. Do you not see the inherent illogical and biased nature of this method of evaluating a players play? Its an ill informed fans way of thinking. Not a coaches or a players way of thinking. On the first day of mini camp all the rookies are equal. The thing that distinguishes between first rounders and third rounders is their ability to play right away. Teams draft first rounders to fulfill an immediate need. Third rounders to fill a future need. To expect more from a third round pick because you thought he should only be a 5th round pick is flawed.

So you readily admit that your criticism of Schlegel's and Smith's play (or lack of play) is a product of your opinion of his draft position. That your unhappiness with him is based on your own inability to stop thinking yeah but we could have had different RB, or an extra bench sitting guard, or an extra bench sitting NT, or a somewhat more productive safety. Do you not see the inherent illogical and biased nature of this method of evaluating a players play? Its an ill informed fans way of thinking. Not a coaches or a players way of thinking. On the first day of mini camp all the rookies are equal. The thing that distinguishes between first rounders and third rounders is their ability to play right away. Teams draft first rounders to fulfill an immediate need. Third rounders to fill a future need. To expect more from a third round pick because you thought he should only be a 5th round pick is flawed.

You're in the minority of people who feel this way. The early 3rd round, with the talent in the '06 draft, was the equivalent of a mid-2nd rounder in most other years. Enough talent to let LenDale White (attitude and all) or Marcus McNeill slip to round 2. Enough to let a Jerious Norwood or Ko Simpson or others slip past round 2. So with this particular year, yes - barring injury, they are expected to produce faster than later round players. And if they don't, at least you know there is the upside of a player who is at least physically gifted enough to reasonably expect above average production in the future.

Some things aren't just a matter of opinion (which you & I disagree plenty on & that's fine). With some things, there's right and wrong.

You don't go to McDonald's and pay $150 for a burger and fries.

You don't pull on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind.

And you don't draft 6th-round talent in round 3.

I liked Jim Croce. I saw him play in Carnegie Hall in the 70s as the opening act for Loggins & Messina

Some things aren't just a matter of opinion (which you & I disagree plenty on & that's fine). With some things, there's right and wrong.

You don't go to McDonald's and pay $150 for a burger and fries.

You don't pull on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind.

And you don't draft 6th-round talent in round 3.

This is a bad analogy.

First, you didnt pay for the burger and it really isnt up to you how much someone else pays for a burger. The owner paid and they thought it was worth it.

Second, you dont evaluate the taste of the burger or its ability to keep you from being hungry or to nourish your body based on its price. It tastes the same and fills you the same regardless of what you paid for it.

Third, a hamburger does not have the ability to appreciate in value over time. A football player has that potential.

This is a bad analogy.

First, you didnt pay for the burger and it really isnt up to you how much someone else pays for a burger. The owner paid and they thought it was worth it.

Second, you dont evaluate the taste of the burger or its ability to keep you from being hungry or to nourish your body based on its price. It tastes the same and fills you the same regardless of what you paid for it.

Third, a hamburger does not have the ability to appreciate in value over time. A football player has that potential.

Try selling your house tomorrow for $90million. Use the selling point that it will keep you warm in the winter and protect you from rain the same as Bill Gates' house. Throw in that it has the ability to appreciate over time. Keep me posted on what happens.

ditto-I didn't think you were an old guy like me JC...I wish I would have seen Croce....I'll tell ya though Harry Chapin's were among the greatest shows you could go to back then...along with Bruce shows

At least I was young when I went to the concert

:P

ps It was three-four years after SB III and I remember that, too

Try selling your house tomorrow for $90million. Use the selling point that it will keep you warm in the winter and protect you from rain the same as Bill Gates' house. Throw in that it has the ability to appreciate over time. Keep me posted on what happens.

Wow! I didnt realize that the Jets were paying Schlegel 90 million dollars. I thought it was more like 2.2 million over four years. I'm alot more likely to get 2.2 million than 90.

But of course you are intentionally missing my point. Your $150 hamburger analogy was a gross oversimplification and completely irrelevant to the argument about whether or not Schlegel should be more open to criticism because he was a surprise 3rd round pick.

This is a stupid thread...

Even Veteran ST players block in the back sometimes, he made a common mistake by all in his 12th NFL game... 1st round or undrfated that happens...

As for the onside kick... the ball was basically 9.9999 yards downfield... why the hell wouldnt he dive on the guy going for it??? What was he supposed to do satnd around and HOPE the ball didnt go 10 yards....???? He was doing the RIGHT thing NOT a mistake!

How about our LB/ST Ace (his name escapes me...) that messed up that onside kick earlier this year??? He should be kicked off the team first if you use this logic....

hey it's OK to be a getting old person-just think WE actually got to watch the Jets win a Super Bowl and remember how great it felt-also the music in the 60's and 70's was so much better than anything out there today...

I got to watch it. Just not live.

And the last new album I bought was Bob Seger's.

I got to watch it. Just not live.

And the last new album I bought was Bob Seger's.

I remember exactly where I was during the SB3 (at my cousins house) and when I had to listen to the 68 Jets vs Oakland Championship game in our kitchen-why wasn't it televised that day?

Archived