Falcons: Abraham has surgery

Smizzy

December 19, 2006 7:17 PM ET

Falcons: Abraham has surgery

The News

John Abraham underwent surgery Monday to have a pin placed in his left thumb after he tore ligaments in Saturday's loss to the Cowboys. Head coach Jim Mora said Abraham will wear a cast and start this weekend against Carolina. "I don't know how big [the cast] will be," Mora told ESPN. "I don't know how cumbersome. Hopefully, it will be better than it was last week. When you watch the game, you notice that there were times when he was just playing with one arm."

Our View

Big John has been plagued by injuries all season. At the beginning of the year he looked like a real beast, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to have a real impact. It's never easy to play with one hand in a cast, and thus we expect that he will not be his normal disruptive self against Carolina.

Big John,LMAO....He is the biggest pussy in the league.

Best thing Mangini ever did was get rid of that POS.

Bull. It was only good because we got a #1. Otherwise we might as well have kept him. Makes sense not blowing long term money on the guy, but all you guys in love with Thomas and ripping Abraham might as well be talking up Pennington over Carson Palmer. Just like getting rid of Herm was nice, but getting a 4th for him was not a good move.

who did serphnx? I remember almost to a man/woman we ALL wanted him gone-since the '04 TC holdout

Maybe not on this board, but i remember a TON of Jets fans talking about how are defense would suck, and Abe deserved the money, and that Ellis sucked (they liked bringing that up). Maybe PeterNorth was one of those guys, that sounds like his usual MO.

Bull. It was only good because we got a #1. Otherwise we might as well have kept him. Makes sense not blowing long term money on the guy, but all you guys in love with Thomas and ripping Abraham might as well be talking up Pennington over Carson Palmer. Just like getting rid of Herm was nice, but getting a 4th for him was not a good move.

Abraham wimped out of playing in 3 playoff games..one game because he had a tummy ache..and the other 2 because he was worried about his big pay day the next year.does that sound like a team player to you?and his **** attitude spread like a cancer throughout the team and the locker room..

The guy was talented..no doubt..but not worth the money..he needed to go if he was not going to be a team player..and that's exactly what happened.

Abraham wimped out of playing in 3 playoff games..one game because he had a tummy ache..and the other 2 because he was worried about his big pay day the next year.does that sound like a team player to you?and his **** attitude spread like a cancer throughout the team and the clubhouse..

The guy was talented..no doubt..but not worth the money..he needed to go if he was not going to be a team player..and that's exactly what happened.

Not worth the money or more importantly the years sure, but nobody gives him any credit for his ability which is considerably greater than Thomas and Ellis. The 1st playoff game you can make a point about, but the 2nd too he couldn't move and Herm threw him under the bus. Imagine that. Now he is playing with a pin in his hand and everybody is calling him a pussy. If it were all-time scumbag Bryan Cox I'd be reading 10 pages about what a warrior he is. All because Cox came here for a few years and a pig with a huge belly hanging under his belt fell in love.

Not worth the money or more importantly the years sure, but nobody gives him any credit for his ability which is considerably greater than Thomas and Ellis. The 1st playoff game you can make a point about, but the 2nd too he couldn't move and Herm threw him under the bus. Imagine that. Now he is playing with a pin in his hand and everybody is calling him a pussy. If it were all-time scumbag Bryan Cox I'd be reading 10 pages about what a warrior he is. All because Cox came here for a few years and a pig with a huge belly hanging under his belt fell in love.

Who here said Abraham had no talent??he is very talented..but that talent is usually sitting on the sidelines for the majority of the season because he's hurt all the time.his inability to play through pain is also a big character flaw..say what you want about Cox..he brought a mean streak to the Jets at the time..and was a total team player while he was here.

Big John

Big John

Every mornning at the mine, you could see him arrive.

He stood 6 foot 6, weighed 245.

Kind of broad at the shoulders, narrow at the hip.

And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John.

Big John

Big John

Big Bad John

Big John

Nobody seemed to know where John called home

He just drifted into town and stayed all alone.

He didn't say much, kind of quiet and shy

And if you spoke at all, you'd just said hi to Big John.

Somebody said he came from New Orleans,

Where he got into a fight over a Cajun Queen.

And a crash and a blow from a huge right hand,

sent a Lousiana fella to the promise land.

Big John

Big John

Big bad John

Big John

Then came the day at the bottom of the mine,

when a timber cracked and men started crying.

Minors were praying, and hearts beat fast

and everybody thought they had breathed thier last

cept' John.

Through the dust and the smoke of this man made hell,

walked a giant of a man that the minors knew well.

Grabbed a sagging timber and gave out with a groan,

and like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, Big John

Big John

Big John

Big Bad John

Big John

And with all of his strength, he gave a mighty shove.

Then a minor yelled out, 'theres a light up above!'.

And 20 men scrambled from a 'would be' grave

now theres only one left down there to save, Big John.

With jacks and timbers, they started back down,

then came that rumble way down in the ground.

And as smoke and gas smelched out of that mine,

everybody knew it was the end of the line, for Big John.

Big John

Big John

Big Bad John

Big John

Now they never re-opend that wortheless pit,

they just placed a marble stand in front of it.

These few words are written on that stand,

'At the bottom of this mine, lies one Hell of a man, Big John'

Big John

Big John

Big Bad John

Big John.

Getting a 4th round pick for Herm Edwards was the steal of the century. Paying KC to take him would have been worth it. As for Abe, he is a great player but take the emotion out of it, he isn't on the field enough to be worth the long term deal that he got from Atlanta. Having a 1st rounder for him, and not paying him was also great for the Jets.

At least Thomas will play a FULL SEASON!

JOHNNY ABE - What a waste!

Getting a 4th round pick for Herm Edwards was the steal of the century. Paying KC to take him would have been worth it. As for Abe, he is a great player but take the emotion out of it, he isn't on the field enough to be worth the long term deal that he got from Atlanta. Having a 1st rounder for him, and not paying him was also great for the Jets.

I'm not emotional about Abraham. Most of the board is. The Oakland game I could see bitching about him missing. The two in '04 were BS. He was screwed up and tried to practice. He couldn't run and Herm Edwards kept saying he's going to go. Well he couldn't. He is injury prone and not worth a huge money/long term deal and I'm happy with Mangold. When did I ever say it wasn't a good deal for the Jets? It should be, Abraham has value.

At least Thomas will play a FULL SEASON!

JOHNNY ABE - What a waste!

I submit that money being equal you are much better off with Abraham and a backup-say Chatham, than Thomas for the season. It's nice to root for the "good" guy, but I think you are underestimating the value of a game breaker. This is kind of ironic considering that is what everybody has against Pennington. Obviously, the paycheck he got is too much to absorb with Martin and Pennington and we are better off with Mangold and the $$ to throw at somebody else, but if there were a draft tomorrow I'm betting at least 31 GMs say they'd take JAbe over Thomas.

and if we couldnt get more than a 4th rounder were you in favor of keeping him?

Most GMs and OPwners are not stupid, they knew the turds value.

Most of the GMs and owners have nothing to do with it. The deal was with KC and KC only. It's not like there was a bidding war. Everybody on the planet knows that KC tampered. The negotiations were getting ugly. So what? Why let the league office ram an unprecedented bad deal down our throats? The scumbag was under contract. If they wanted him they should have paid the going rate. The going rate for a coach under contract is not a 4th round pick. Think about it, the Jets were in the toilet coming off a 4-12 season, the Chiefs looking to compete for a super bowl by adding a defensively minded coach (ha!). Which one had more to lose if the negotiations dragged?

Most of the GMs and owners have nothing to do with it. The deal was with KC and KC only. It's not like there was a bidding war. Everybody on the planet knows that KC tampered. The negotiations were getting ugly. So what? Why let the league office ram an unprecedented bad deal down our throats? The scumbag was under contract. If they wanted him they should have paid the going rate. The going rate for a coach under contract is not a 4th round pick. Think about it, the Jets were in the toilet coming off a 4-12 season, the Chiefs looking to compete for a super bowl by adding a defensively minded coach (ha!). Which one had more to lose if the negotiations dragged?

the point u r missing is we KNEW we wanted mangini and didnt want to wait to pull trigger. Didnt want to let Belly do his voodoo on him up there.

If this dragged out who knows what happens,,

Jets did not want to risk losing Eric for a 2nd rouun vs a 4th round,,

add in that most people in organization were also so soured on this flim flam mans act by then they wanted to erase all memories of this turd and get someone in Green who actually had a IQ over 80.

Archived