The "Post of the Weak?" Edition of Post of the Week - December 20th, 2006

GreenBeans

Welcome to the "Post of the Weak?" Edition of Post of the Week - December 20th, 2006. I'd like to start this week off with three of my personal favorite posts this week. One was nominated for the vaunted POTW, so you'll see it again later, but I just wanted to highlight both of these outstanding posts in case they do not turn out to be the winner (psssss - they won't be).

Post 1

Originally Posted by bitonti

Post of the Weak

i like how the "POTW" is all about Clemens promoted to #2

two days later he was demoted to #3 after 4 bollinger-esque snaps

there's always next week guys

my recommendation POTW should always be funny not football

Post 2 -

hey man don't take it personal

all im saying is next time maybe the post of the week should be valid for the entire week

(The full thread for these gems can be found here -> http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27748)

Post 3 -

Originally Posted by Garb

As long as POTW Man, GB, 'aint the judge, I'm definitely in!

I'd like to thank both bitonti and Garb for hating on the Bean this week. To be hated is to be loved, or something like that, right? If I didn't have a man-crush on bitonti and a crush-crush on Garb I'd be REALLY upset. Anyway, Happy Holidays to you both.

DGuerrero1a.jpg

Now that that is out of the way, let's get right to the nominations for the week (or is that weak?):

---

Originally Posted by Scott Dierking

How does one get rid of a curse.

Originally Posted by 124

Getting rid of it is easy.. Win a championship.

Starting is is when usually something happens in one of two ways:

1. You win a championship you're not supposed to win and there after you pay the devil by having unsuccessful seasons and you have to break the curse by winning another ring

but most likely it's:

2. A strange event happening around the time or during the time of going for the Championship that gives the fans something to cling onto as a curse and the franchise in that sense is viewed as curse until they win a championship

I will just pretend I did not read this.

(Editor's Note: See that - it's simple, just win a Super Bowl - no biggie...)

----

Originally Posted by Sperm Edwards

bitdrob2ts4.jpg

R44 sent it to me. Said it fell out of your wallet.

(Editor's Note: That's frightening - and the picture is screwy, too.)

-----

Originally Posted by ladyJET2280

I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF PATRIOTS, FINS AND BILLS FANS ON HERE SO LET ME ASK YOU THIS QUESTIONS..HOW ARE THE STANDINGS GOING TO LOOK IN YOUR OPINION AT THE END OF THE SEASON????

1.NEW ENGLAND

2. NEW YORK

3. BILLS

4. FINS....

JUST SEEING YOUR OPINIONS...I AM NOT DOING THIS TO OFFEND PEOPLE HONEST...

Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

New England

Miami

Buffalo

New York

(Nomination question and answer:

For what? The football analysis or the font size?

Originally Posted by The Troll

Both.

)

(Editor's Note: I tried to duplicate the font size, but my monitor screen at work was not big enough...)

-----

(Runner-up of the Week Sponsored by PatsFanTX)

2007 Final AFCE Standings

Pats 13-3 (Playoff bye)

Bills 10-6 (Wild Card)

Phins 9-7 (after an 0-6 start)

Jets 5-11 (Clemens 1st year as QB)

Originally Posted by jets22

What a joke..... Your name should be changed to wooden spoon, all you do is stir the pot !

(Editor's Note: From message board gold to a wooden utensil - what a year that TX has had, huh?)

-----

Originally Posted by Max

How do you know? Do you google yourself often?

Originally Posted by Verde

I google at least once a day!

(Editor's Note: Pictures? Drawings? Something?)

-----

Originally Posted by Panzer Division Marduk

AFC.gif

Originally Posted by shawn306

You stole that chart from my eye doctor.

(Editor's Note: Cool eye chart!)

-----

Who was talking about font size?

(Editor's Note: V made a funny!)

-----

Originally Posted by ladyJET2280

what is a choud

It's "chowd".

It means extremely intelligent football fan.

(Editor's Note: Credit where credit is due - funny stuff, TX. ;))

-----

Originally Posted by Thor99

Name the 2 movies that that quote has been in.

Originally Posted by jetheelz

Superman II and Mallrats

Originally Posted by Thor99

Sorry, I should have added "anybody but the nerd answer this question."

(Editor's Note: Wow - how did jetheelz ever know this piece of trivia? Were you "google-ing" with Verde? )

-----

(Topic: Dramatic Video of a teenager driving a car through a mall)

Originally Posted by Bill Parcells

http://www.wftv.com/news/10536397/detail.html

Originally Posted by Max

You sure that wasn't 124's road test? I heard he had a hard time hahahaha!

(Editor's Note: A blast from the past! Poor 124 may never live that down...)

-----

Originally Posted by SoFlaJets

whatever happened to our Jets Fans Only thread?

Originally Posted by G.O.B.

The ACLU came in and shut it down under threat of a lawsuit. Said it was a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act to keep retarded people, in this case the Patriots fans, out of a public forum.

(Editor's Note: GOB sounds like a lawyer. Perhaps you are the person behind "Latin Lawyer" and "LosJets"?)

-----

(Topic - Marcus Vick being sued by 17 year old girl)

Originally Posted by 80

The young female wishes to be identified as "Jane Mexico"

(Editor's Note: That's FANTASTIC!)

-----

(Topic - Did the Jets blow the #4 pick?)

Nah, it wasn't the Jets; it was just Bitonti. But that was a few years ago, so why suddenly bring it up now? Leave the guy alone already.

(Editor's Note - Winner? Nope, but damn if it was not tempting for the obvious reasons...)

-----

Originally Posted by Barton

I think its pretty clear that the Jets blew the #4 pick. Dbrick has played no better than Adrian Jones ever did, and thats sayin something. If we can trade Dbrick for a 2nd/3rd rd pick in the offseason, I would do it.

And I've seen McNeil whiff on many blocks, that guy sucks too.

(Editor's Note: Little EB50 has grown up so, hasn't he? Nice....)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Jack & Jill went up the hill

To fetch a pail of water.

Jack fell down, broke his crown;

Tom Brady is a homo.

(Editor's Note: Obligatory homo joke.)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Originally Posted by SouthernJet

Jack and Jill were twins who couldn't find dates to the prom. So Jill asked Jack to go with her. Jack said, "No, you're my sister, that's gross." Jill said, "Come on. Promise me if you can't find another date, you'll take me." So Jack said okay. Well, Jack couldn't find a date so he went with Jill. They were just standing by the punch bowl, and Jill asked Jack to dance. Jack said, "No, you're my sister, that's gross." Jill said, "Come on. It'll be fun." So Jack said okay, and they had a great time. After the dance, Jill asked Jack to take her to Makeout Hill. Jack said, "No, you're my sister, It would be gross." Jill said, "We'll just talk, we don't talk anymore." So Jack said okay. They were at Makeout Hill talking, when Jill moved to the backseat. Jill said, "Come on, Jack, take me." Jack didn't argue. When Jack moved on top of Jill, Jill murmured, "You're a lot lighter than dad."

Jack said back, "I know. Mom told me last night."

(Editor's Note: Obligatory Mom joke.)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Jack and Jill went up a hill to smoke some marijuana.

Jack got high and dropped his fly and said, "Do ya wanna?"

Jill said yes and dropped her dress and then they had some fun,

but Jack forgot to bring protection, and now they have a son.

(Editor's Note: Obligatory birth control joke.)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Originally Posted by Panzer Divison Marduk

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water

Jack fell down and broke his crown

And the noise alerted some nearby Kosovan Liberation Army guerillas who promptly assumed them to be Macedonian agent sand proceeded to riddle their bodies with bullets.

And drank their water.

(Editor's Note: Obligatory frightening post.)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Originally Posted by jetophile

Jack and Jill, took a pill

And chased it with some water

Jack fell down, and broke his crown

Jill OD'd soon after.

When Jack woke up

He said, "I'm f*cked!"

And tried to hide the body

He uncapped the bottle

And ate the rest

And soon his skin did mottle.

It was all a ploy

Jill flushed with joy

Insurance cash to follow

A stupid boy, that Jack Ass toy

'Cause never did she swallow.

(Editor's Note: What would Brenda have to say about this not swallowing business? Didn't she already proclaim that "spitters are quitters"?)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Jack and Jill went up the hill

And Jack would try to hump her.

Jill said No / and Jack said So

I'll ram it in your dumper.

(Editor's Note: Obligatory dumper joke.)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Both with a buck and a quarter

Jill came down with two-fifty

That fu*kin' whore.

(Editor's Note: The Diceman is back!)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Jack and Jill went up the hill ,

For a bit of hanky panky,

Jill came back with a very sore crack ,

Jack must have been a Yankee

(Editor's Note: Me love you looonggg time...)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

It seems young Jack

Had a knack

Or maybe something latent

The joke's on him

Cause Jill's a he

Those shemales sure got talent.

(Editor's Note: EEEEEEEEeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - you've just ruined jack and jill for me forever.)

-----

(Topic - jack n jill...)

Jack and Jill, drove up the hill

To try to make the game

A new Head Coach, a GM, too

And still it's just the same.

NOT.

(Editor's Note: Thank goodness)

Our QB, Bionic arm

Is just a freak of science

His boyish charm, meant to disarm

A pun for all my clients.

(Editor's Note: huh?)

If Chad could thow the ball downfield

Jack'd be his best friend

Jill would split her pants with joy

So riiiiiiip!, and that's the end.

(Editor's Note: An incomplete masterpiece...)

I'm officially tired. 'Night suckas.

(Editor's Note: Good night to you too, young man...)

-----

Originally Posted by The Troll

Chad Pennington sucks.

(Editor's Note: The Troll ladies and gentlemen....)

-----

Originally Posted by Iceman88

Why the hell would you double team Kimo?

(Editor's Note: What do you have against Kimo? 628073457_m.jpg - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=41155890)

-----

It's boring as hell.

Originally Posted by Jetcane

So are your posts

Originally Posted by Smizzy

and his schtick.

(Editor's Note: TX will never get old, and he'll ever die - quick heelz, what movie?)

-----

(Topic - The Official Chad Haters Thread (No Sunshine here)

Originally Posted by TaborJet

You picked the wrong week to start this thread. Chad had a career day in passing.

You should have written this last week. Or wait until next week.

(Editor's Note: Timing is everything, you know...)

-----

I've edited some posts in here. Keep it civil.

I've also deleted some posts that are purely trolling ones. To those that responded to them, yours have been removed also - simply to keep those posts deleted.

These will continue to be edited & deleted as the mods see fit. There is plenty of room for debate without insulting or making otherwise inflammatory remarks towards another poster.

I'm not the greatest Chad fan, but I am a Jets fan. Someone making a thread because Chad played a good game that we won does not need someone bringing up playoff games from 2-4 seasons ago. The thread is about yesterday's game. If you want to debate the merits of Chad's performance vs Min in this thread, that's fine. Telling posters to "shut the f*** up," and trolling posts that are made purely to incite reactions from Jets fans, are not appropriate and not permitted.

The mods are all getting tired of this. It is going to be easier to start banning people than take 20 minutes out of my morning to edit or delete 15+ posts in a single thread.

Note to those who might be "cheering" because of this. If you refer to Jets fans as "haters" you are asking for it, so don't get too high & mighty. We are not the thought police. Jets fans have a right to think (and post) that we are better off with another QB, just as you have the right to think and post the opposite. I'm sure there are Jets sites where dissent from the company line is not tolerated. If this is what you seek, look around. But we will be actively deleting or editing posts that are not merely making a point & are made purely to incite angry reactions from Jets fans.

(Editor's Note: That, my friends, is called a good, old fashioned "Mod Smackdown"...)

-----

Not saying teh jets are even going to bein teh playoffs, but, what ELITE teams do you see out there?

Originally Posted by PFSIKH

San Diego

Baltimore

Indianapolis

New England

Even your victory last month notwithstanding, you look like a one and done.

Hard to get upset since "one and done" was supposed to be the Jets as they closed out the Titans game to start the season.

(Editor's Note: True dat, SE, true dat.)

-----

Elite teams don't get shut out by teams with losing records that, the following week, are shut out themselves by another team with a losing record.

(Editor's Note: There you go with your facts again...)

-----

Originally Posted by jets22

This is nuts, news flash...The Jets WON today!!! does it always have to be about who won or lost the game for the TEAM.....it's a team sport, the W or L goes in the column for the NY Jets not Chad or the D or whatever someone wants to blame it on. Chad is not Montana, nor is he Ryan Leaf or Browning Nagle, whatever other crappy QB u want to use. He is what he is, and he is running the offense well and helping an overachieving team win games! hell we could be in another 4-12 Herm mess. Enjoy the season, and root like hell for us to make the playoffs!!

(Editor's Note: Great post, 22 - way to keep things in perspective. We can all learn a little bit from 22 here, folks.)

-----

Originally Posted by DW10

It is absolutely impossible for the Jets to beat us next week. You clowns are primed for massive dissappointment. I see us winning 38-0. And that's being generous to you clowns.

Trust me, yesterday's disgraceful performance is in no way a preview of what to expect next week. Next week you'll see the teanm that beat the Bears or the evil Pats!!! We are going to RUIN YOUR CHRISTMAS!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! MISERY FOR EVERYBODY!!! YESSSS!!

(The Nomination: POTW Nom. This DW at his very VERY best. Makes me laugh all the time. - shawn306)

(Editor's Note: DW10 is a funny dude. Delusional, but funny...)

-----

(Topic - The Official Discuss The Debate (BZ-TX) Thread)

And if ALK interferes in the the match one more time he should be barred from ringside. What are you friggin Capt Lou Albano or something ?

(Editor's Note: Alk prefers to be thought of as The Tonga Kid, actually. Get it right.)

-----

Originally Posted by crashingjet

Per your prediction, a 4 point swing in not a a$$ whooping. just letting you know.

The Dolphins win handilly. 23-0. GO FINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They could have a 20-0 lead with 5 minutes left??

Thats an ass wooping for 55 minutes instead of 60 minutes..is that better??

It's not like that hasn't happened before

(Editor's Note: Confused? Me too...)

-----

Originally Posted by Green DNA

I'm sure Blaylock is delighted with that "Practice Player of the Week" award. To make things worse, it will be one more thing to pack when he moves to a new city in the offseason.

(Editor's Note: Poor DB, we hardly knew you...)

-----

Originally Posted by BZ

Ground Game: Is the easiest thing to fix. The running back position is the most plug and play and again, TX knows it. It starts with a good offensive line (check) and cap room (check). Anyone can go pick up Corey Dillion off the street and win a Super Bowl right?

(Editor's Note: Well, that did, in fact, work for the Pats, didn't it?)

-----

Since the Jets don't have a stadium of their own, I would say that they play 16 road games a year.

(Editor's Note: You know, that crack is getting so old. The better question is "What if a city had a pro team and nobody came to watch it?" Nice orange seats, dude.)

-----

pssst..it's assinine

Originally Posted by 16G-MONEY

psst... no it's not. And why do you have to be like that? LOL I didn't correct LadyJet for saying "spelt".

(Editor's Note: 16G-MONEY == Webster)

-----

Originally Posted by Jetcane

asinine

MR writes:

What's the deal with "asinine"? I'm curious about both the development of the word (from "ass," dropping an "s" with the "-inine" ending) and the usage. "Asinine" seems to have a respectability that "ass" doesn't. It seems that saying "that's an asinine suggestion" is as confrontational but not as vulgar as "that's the kind of suggestion an ass would make."

Your question raises several issues.

We can start with the most direct one, the derivation of asinine. Asinine has two senses: 'unintelligent; stupid; silly', and 'of or like an ass [donkey]'; the word is pronounced like ASS-uh-nine.

This word does not stem directly from ass with a suffix -inine. Rather, it comes from Latin asinC-nus, from asinus 'ass [donkey]' and the suffix -C-nus, an adjective-forming suffix meaning 'of, pertaining to, or characteristic of', equivalent to English -ine (as in Alpine, crystalline, or, closest to our question, equine). This explains the single-s spelling of asinine and the ending, though it's a good question--when I first encountered the word I thought it was "ass o'nine," was stumped by a new word for a multi-stranded whip meaning 'foolish'.

Asinine is also, as you point out, more respectable than ass. There are several reasons for this, but a prominent one is the confusion between the two ass words. The one we've been discussing chiefly means 'a donkey', with a derived sense of 'a stupid, foolish, or stubborn person'; it is from Old English, probably borrowed from Latin asinus (mentioned above) by way of Old Irish. The other one means 'the buttocks; the rectum' and is from the word arse (still the standard form in Britain) with a loss of r before s as in passel, cuss, bust, etc.; it's related to similar words in other Indo-European languages.

The word ass 'donkey' has become increasingly offensive over the last few hundred years because of the pronunciation of ass 'the buttocks': as the latter word underwent a change in pronunciation from arse to something closer to ass, the original ass 'donkey/fool' became less appropriate, and donkey became more common. In America, where the 'buttocks' word has pretty much always been ass, ass 'a stupid person' has always been somewhat more offensive than in England.

Since asinine avoids the association with ass 'buttocks', it is less offensive than ass itself, and asinine is not vulgar at all. The other reasons that asinine is less offensive than ass are that the former is Latinate, and thus seems more respectable; and that describing any particular decision, action, etc. by an adjective is less offensive than referring to the person who made that decision with its equivalent noun. For example, if you substitute words in your example, you'll see that "that's a foolish suggestion" is much less offensive than "that's the sort of suggestion a fool would make."

(Editor's Note: JC showing off that fine Miami education. ACC schools, unlike the Big Least and the SEC have academic standards, folks.)

-----

Originally Posted by Ten

19jets.1.600.jpg

After the vikings game,the new york jets get to meet old friend and ex-teammate Brooks Bollinger.

(Editor's Note: I thought Brooksie was the Cat in the Hat?)

-----

When we actually made it to the Superbowl.

What happend in 1999?

Jacksonville laid a 60 spot on the the fish.

(Editor's Note: Pnwed.)

-----

i like how the "POTW" is all about Clemens promoted to #3

two days later he was demoted to #2

there's always next week guys

my recommendation POTW should always be funny not football

(The Nomination: Post of the "Weak" nom. - crashingjet)

(Editor's Note: I recuse myself from commenting...)

-----

Originally Posted by joewilly

hey bit, did you score at big als wedding? if so,walk us thru any pertinent details & i'll guarantee you a potw nom

I wonder if bit borrowed one of Mangini's strapless bras for the wedding.

(Editor's Note: It's not nice to pick on the draftdaddy, TX.)

-----

Originally Posted by GreenMachine

But Vilma likes to slaughter fish;

MIAMI%20HURRICANE%20JONATHAN%20VILMA-2.jpg

I'm surprised that fish didn't knock Vilma back 7 yards.

(Editor's Note: Friggin' dumbass - that's too funny.)

-----

Originally Posted by Alk

I took my oldest kid to see it last night since it was bunco night at the house (had to escape all the women). It was very Lord of the Ringish which is fine by me but I know alot of you guys aren't big fans. My biggest problem with the movie was John Malkovich playing Galbatorix. He just didn't seem to fit the part at all. Other than that, it was an enjoyable movie and my kid loved it. Anyone else watch it this past weekend?

Originally Posted by joewilly

no I missed it cause I was at bunco night. I don't know what you're talkin bout alk, I had a blast....... I will not list your wife's exploits cause what happens at bunco stays at bunco.

(Editor's Note: WTF is bunco?)

-----

Originally Posted by onemanswarm

14. Kansas City Chiefs (7-7): Maybe they should get Larry Johnson a blacker coach. I mean, Herm Edwards is black and all. But he could be blacker.

(Editor's Note: The Shower Rankings NEED to be a featured article - period. Great stuff <this one in particular!> as always.)

Read the Shower Rankings Week 15 thread here:

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=385104&highlight=POTW#post385104

-----

Just a quick recap of Max warming up Tex before the debate with BZ

(Karate video here - see the thread for the video)

http://jetnation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=385336&postcount=51

(Editor's Note: Warming up? I though Max was a fluffer?)

-----

And this week's winning post was:

And their record is what ?

This is really getting pathetic on both sides.

The were all over Chad last week but conviently forget that the D was crap and the OL was crap as well.

"It's all Chad's fault the Jets lost"

Fast forward to today.

Chad has great game and the pro Chad guys are having a circle jerk thinking he won the game all by himself not taking into the fact that OL did a great job protecting him and the D was balling big time today.

The haters of course. Well it was against the 27 rated pass defense, The D played great he had protection.

You know what ?

You all F'n SUCK !!!!!!

Smizzy is dead right. You can't even enjoy a win or a game anymore with bickering.

The Jets are 8-6 WAY beyond everyone's expectations and are not only in the wild card race but the DIVISON race as well.

Of course that doesn't matter to you guys. All you care about is Chad is great or Chad sucks.

And then you sit there and TX jerk you all around like the puppets you have all become.

It is really is a shame to see TX being the puppetmaster to you all.

Congratulations to shawn306 on breaking the Sperm Edwards streak of POTW wins. This post wins based on two lines:

"You can't even enjoy a win or a game anymore with bickering."

AND

"The Jets are 8-6 WAY beyond everyone's expectations and are not only in the wild card race but the DIVISON race as well."

Two great points, in my opinion. For most Jets fans (or at least for me) this season has been a nice surprise and pretty damn enjoyable. Although I do tend to be a bit "pessimistic" most days, I'm also very excited about the direction of the Jets as an organization. I'm guessing that most everyone here is, too - even the Pats fans, although not in the same way the Jets fans are, of course. So here's to shawn206 - nice post, nice message, nice work.

The Assist of the Week goes to the one and only Jetcane for all of the nominations as well as quality posts he made this week. Thank you, as always, JC.

Next week there will be two threads from this legume for your reading pleasure. There will be a regular edition of Post of the Week and we will look back at the year that was and select the Post of the Year from the pool of winning posts. POTW will be on Wednesday, as expected, and POTY will be posted on Thursday - stay tuned for both.

That's it for this week, people. I hope that you all have a Merry Christmas, are enjoying a Happy Hanukkah, or are just enjoying the holiday season. Y'all be safe - and enjoy the games.

gb

Thanks for the props, GB. I am trying to raise my game after being called out by Maxman last week for being the complainee. :oops:

But as a wise man once said: I'd like to thank both bitonti and Garb for hating on the Bean this week. To be hated is to be loved, or something like that, right?

Well, not really. :P But I'll try to do better in 2007.

And I wish all of you out there a very Merry Christmas!

And Tx was a good sport about the debate and the elf dance. (He really looks better in the rabbit outfit).

harvey.jpg

good job Beans

Thank you.

Thanks for the props, GB. I am trying to raise my game after being called out by Maxman last week for being the complainee. :oops:

But as a wise man once said: I'd like to thank both bitonti and Garb for hating on the Bean this week. To be hated is to be loved, or something like that, right?

Well, not really. :P But I'll try to do better in 2007.

And I wish all of you out there a very Merry Christmas!

And Tx was a good sport about the debate and the elf dance. (He really looks better in the rabbit outfit).

harvey.jpg

JC, you deserve the props for the week, my friend. Just make sure Butch brings the 'Heels some of those NFL quality recruits and we'll call it good. ;)

Archived