Does anyone miss this me-me-me sideshow?

Sperm Edwards

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/122806/jag_7045104.shtml

Even though there might not be much at stake Sunday, the game should be entertaining because it will pit strength against strength. The Chiefs will run Larry Johnson, the NFL's second-leading rusher with 1,651 yards, right at the Jaguars' run defense, which is ranked third in the league. Kansas City won't try to spread out the Jaguars' defense with four and five receivers, as New England did last week.

"We can't be who we're not," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said in a conference call. "It's too late in the race now to try to all of a sudden say, 'Hey, I've been running the 100, now I'm going to be a miler.' You have to know your strengths and play to them."

Kansas City is in the same fix as the Jaguars. The Chiefs are 8-7 and need all kinds of help to make the playoffs. But Edwards, who's noted for his "you play to win the game" rant, didn't need much prompting to repeat a version of it.

When told there wasn't much at stake against the Jaguars, Edwards said: "What are you talking about? There's a lot at stake. Winning. Never forget that. You got to understand something. When you play, the biggest thing at stake is to win the game. That's always at stake, every week. You play to win these games. That's why you do this, don't you? When you play, you want to win." [Here we go again. Yes, Herm. You invented the idea that a team should want to win a game instead of lose it. Before you, everyone missed this elementary point. You are brilliant.]

When asked if he had to impress that notion on his young players, Edwards said: "If they don't understand that part, they don't need to be here. It's kind of important at the end of the day."

Edwards was then told that the reporters wanted to hear his "you play to win the game" rant, so he laughed and said: "I'm not going to get riled up. I'm smarter than that. [How many times has any other coach made an "I'm smart" comment in the last 10 years?] I did that once in New York [when he was the Jets' coach] and they ended up writing a book on it." [They? THEY???]

When asked about being disappointed with the season, Edwards said: "This league is about disappointment. At the end, there is only going to be one team winning the Super Bowl, and everybody else is going to be disappointed." [so Herm again absolves himself by suggesting this year's future superbowl loser had just as disappointing of a season as the Chiefs who will miss the playoffs.]

The funny thing is is that the Chiefs could have gone 5 wide last year and used the short passing game like New England did.

Not anymore. The Chiefs have been "Hermanized"

The Chiefs though will probably win the game because Jacksonville has been an awful road team this year.

If you really want some yuks go to Montereyherald.com and read Herm's columns from the year. He writes it every week for his hometown paper and is filled with his wit and wisdom. After the Pit game when they lost 44-0 he was asked if he had the team prepared. He said " I once beat my best friend 44-0 in a playoff game and I know he was prepared". Now that he is not here I can't get enough of that kind of insightful analysis.

If you really want some yuks go to Montereyherald.com and read Herm's columns from the year. He writes it every week for his hometown paper and is filled with his wit and wisdom. After the Pit game when they lost 44-0 he was asked if he had the team prepared. He said " I once beat my best friend 44-0 in a playoff game and I know he was prepared". Now that he is not here I can't get enough of that kind of insightful analysis.

Wow! Thanks! I'm so there! \:D/

According to Canizzaro, Herm would have the same record as Mangini if he was still here. What a stooge that guy is.

yea Justin McCairens would have been the other WR instead of Cotchery-we wouldn't have D'Brick or Mangold or Leon or Brad and Eric Smith or Kellen Clemens because we would have traded our whole draft class away to New Orleans for the chance to draft Reggie Bush-and Chad would be waving a towel on the sidelines every week-hurt with no offensive line and we'd be watching Brooks Bollinger or Kliff Kingsbury run the offense for 20 minutes a game stalling on every drive at the 35 yard line while the defense played twice as long as our opponents doubled our time of possesion-week after week

According to Canizzaro, Herm would have the same record as Mangini if he was still here. What a stooge that guy is.

I think Cannizzaro has come around. He has lavished praise on Mangini and the job the Jets are doing of late. Unless I missed the article you are referring to.

"We can't be who we're not," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said in a conference call. "It's too late in the race now to try to all of a sudden say, 'Hey, I've been running the 100, now I'm going to be a miler.' You have to know your strengths and play to them."

This is the part that cracks me up. The Jets have one of the least flexible offenses in terms of personnel, yet some weeks we have tried to pound the ball and limit passes, and others we spread out the whole game (MIN for example) and aired it out to exploit the D's weakness.

Even funnier is KC has the same personnel they had last year, in which they had NO PROBLEM airing it out, in fact they were one of the elite teams at doing it. Nah Herm, we get exactly what you're saying. You're saying that you have to play to your beliefs, and your particular belief is that you don't worry about what the other team's strength is, you just keep doing what you want to do. With that attitude why even bother watching game film? Does he even watch game film? Has he ever figured out how to turn the projector on? Maybe Dick Curl can help him with that.

yea Justin McCairens would have been the other WR instead of Cotchery-we wouldn't have D'Brick or Mangold or Leon or Brad and Eric Smith or Kellen Clemens because we would have traded our whole draft class away to New Orleans for the chance to draft Reggie Bush-and Chad would be waving a towel on the sidelines every week-hurt with no offensive line and we'd be watching Brooks Bollinger or Kliff Kingsbury run the offense for 20 minutes a game stalling on every drive at the 35 yard line while the defense played twice as long as our opponents doubled our time of possesion-week after week

Wow! You nailed it! Makes me feel even better how this season has turned out... it could have been this.....

I think Cannizzaro has come around. He has lavished praise on Mangini and the job the Jets are doing of late. Unless I missed the article you are referring to.

Check out the Canizzaro chat transcripts. :lol:

Herm's shining moment...

When Herman Edwards is fired as the Jets head coach - and watching him crash and burn yesterday, that now seems inevitable - we can point to the first half of the 20-17 loss to the Ravens as where the downslide began. In fact, we can pinpoint the exact play.

With 1:56 left in the first half, the Jets were having it all their way, up 14-0. The Jets defense was stuffing Jamal Lewis, and Curtis Martin was tearing through the interior of the much-heralded Ravens defense. Despite the loss of quarterback Chad Pennington, the Jets were moving the ball quite well with backup Quincy Carter, who had just hit wide receiver Santana Moss with a deep ball in Baltimore territory.

Just after the two-minute warning, with the ball on the Ravens' 17-yard line, there didn't seem to be any way that the Jets could fail to go into the locker room leading 17-0 or perhaps even 21-0. Ask a high school coach what to do in that situation, and he'll tell you to run Curtis Martin off-tackle on first down, hope he gets at least 5 yards, and choose your second play accordingly. Ask a high school football coach what not to do in that situation, and he'll say don't ask a relatively inexperienced player to run a slow-developing trick play that has a high probability of disaster.

Edwards apparently had no high school coach to consult. He asked running back LaMont Jordan to throw a halfback pass, which he did, poorly, into the middle of three Baltimore defenders in the end zone. Any one of them might have intercepted it - it looked as if they had time to draw straws. Strong safety Ed Reed got the honors and took the ball from the end zone deep into Jets territory, setting up the Ravens for a cheap touchdown just before the half.

After the game, Edwards was asked why he called such an odd play.

"I thought LaMont could complete the pass," he said. "We've run it many times in practice. He's supposed to know that you don't throw the ball if there's coverage."

That is true. The play is supposed to be a halfback option right, the option part meaning that the running back runs if the secondary stays with the receiver. Jordan made a bad read and put the ball up for grabs.

But the real question is why Jordan was set up to fail in the first place. Martin was in the midst of a terrific day on which he gained 119 yards on 28 carries. Carter, evading the Ravens' pass rush with ease on his rollouts, had hit on all seven of his passes to that point. The Jets' game plan at that point should have consisted simply of doing what they had been doing until the Ravens forced them to stop. Instead, Edwards took away from his team what Baltimore could not and put the Ravens back in the game.

The difference between a 17-point halftime lead and a 7-point advantage against a plodding team like Baltimore is enormous. As play-by-play man Jim Nantz put it, "The Ravens' touchdown before the half has allowed them to stay within their game plan." Which is a polite way of saying that the Ravens don't really have a game plan on offense except to keep running Lewis and, if that fails, to throw on third-and-long and hope for the best.

This would have freed the Jets defensive front four - which, with the emergence of John Abraham might be the best in the league - to turn loose on Baltimore's undersized offensive line and their mediocre quarterback, Kyle Boller. Offensive lines in the NFL are built for either the pass or the run, and Baltimore's is built for the run - smaller and quicker than the Sumo wrestlers on pass-oriented teams.

For a team like the Ravens to have any chance, it can't be consistently playing catch-up. But being down by one touchdown isn't really that much of a catch-up, particularly when the momentum shifts. As Simms observed after Reed's interception, "The wind seemed to go out of the Jets' sails."

For all that, the Jets had a decent chance to walk away victorious. They trailed 17-14 before their final possession in regulation time, when Carter revived the Jets' attack for the first time in the second half, taking them to a 1st-and-goal from the Baltimore 4-yard line with 44 seconds and one timeout to go.

Edwards, for some unexplained reason, allowed the clock to run. On the sidelines, Chad Pennington frantically called for a time out, while Carter gestured to Edwards as if to say "What's going on?"

Twenty-three precious seconds dribbled off the clock, and when the Jets finally ran a play, it was a one-yard plunge by Jordan - Martin did not get his hands on the football. On second down, Carter was forced to throw a roll-out pass out of bounds. This left the Jets with eight seconds instead of about 30 with a 3rd-and-goal at the Baltimore 3.

Every Jets fan was thinking one thing at that moment: You try and win the game right there, don't you, instead of settling for a trip to sudden-death overtime? A 3-step drop, a quick pass, a bootleg pass to the left side of the field - something? - and if that misses, you fall back on the field goal?

Yes, quarterbacks can always be sacked, but Carter's mobility would seem to have been ideally suited for this situation, enabling him to throw the ball out of bounds or out of the end zone if pressured. Inexplicably, Edwards opted to kick the chip-shot field goal and try his luck in overtime.

In overtime, Edwards made his third bad decision of the game, opting to receive instead of kicking off and trying to trap the Ravens deep in their own territory. After two punt exchanges, on the Ravens' third possession, Boller finally threw a decent pass, gained 20 yards, and set up the winning field goal.

The Ravens won, but they won't be going anywhere this year. Despite the constant preaching by former-coaches-turned-analysts about the importance of defense and running, you know that in the first round of the playoffs Baltimore will lose to a team with a good passing game, a team that will force them to play catch-up. As for the Jets, their early-season momentum is gone after Herman Edwards gave a clinic on how to outrun and out pass your opponent on your home field and still coach your team to a loss.

And Bush would be standing next to Chad on the sidelines after constantly getting killed because of a horrible line and would have about 100 yards rushing on the year.

Check out the Canizzaro chat transcripts. :lol:

Herm's shining moment...

When Herman Edwards is fired as the Jets head coach - and watching him crash and burn yesterday, that now seems inevitable - we can point to the first half of the 20-17 loss to the Ravens as where the downslide began. In fact, we can pinpoint the exact play.

With 1:56 left in the first half, the Jets were having it all their way, up 14-0. The Jets defense was stuffing Jamal Lewis, and Curtis Martin was tearing through the interior of the much-heralded Ravens defense. Despite the loss of quarterback Chad Pennington, the Jets were moving the ball quite well with backup Quincy Carter, who had just hit wide receiver Santana Moss with a deep ball in Baltimore territory.

Just after the two-minute warning, with the ball on the Ravens' 17-yard line, there didn't seem to be any way that the Jets could fail to go into the locker room leading 17-0 or perhaps even 21-0. Ask a high school coach what to do in that situation, and he'll tell you to run Curtis Martin off-tackle on first down, hope he gets at least 5 yards, and choose your second play accordingly. Ask a high school football coach what not to do in that situation, and he'll say don't ask a relatively inexperienced player to run a slow-developing trick play that has a high probability of disaster.

Edwards apparently had no high school coach to consult. He asked running back LaMont Jordan to throw a halfback pass, which he did, poorly, into the middle of three Baltimore defenders in the end zone. Any one of them might have intercepted it - it looked as if they had time to draw straws. Strong safety Ed Reed got the honors and took the ball from the end zone deep into Jets territory, setting up the Ravens for a cheap touchdown just before the half.

After the game, Edwards was asked why he called such an odd play.

"I thought LaMont could complete the pass," he said. "We've run it many times in practice. He's supposed to know that you don't throw the ball if there's coverage."

That is true. The play is supposed to be a halfback option right, the option part meaning that the running back runs if the secondary stays with the receiver. Jordan made a bad read and put the ball up for grabs.

But the real question is why Jordan was set up to fail in the first place. Martin was in the midst of a terrific day on which he gained 119 yards on 28 carries. Carter, evading the Ravens' pass rush with ease on his rollouts, had hit on all seven of his passes to that point. The Jets' game plan at that point should have consisted simply of doing what they had been doing until the Ravens forced them to stop. Instead, Edwards took away from his team what Baltimore could not and put the Ravens back in the game.

The difference between a 17-point halftime lead and a 7-point advantage against a plodding team like Baltimore is enormous. As play-by-play man Jim Nantz put it, "The Ravens' touchdown before the half has allowed them to stay within their game plan." Which is a polite way of saying that the Ravens don't really have a game plan on offense except to keep running Lewis and, if that fails, to throw on third-and-long and hope for the best.

This would have freed the Jets defensive front four - which, with the emergence of John Abraham might be the best in the league - to turn loose on Baltimore's undersized offensive line and their mediocre quarterback, Kyle Boller. Offensive lines in the NFL are built for either the pass or the run, and Baltimore's is built for the run - smaller and quicker than the Sumo wrestlers on pass-oriented teams.

For a team like the Ravens to have any chance, it can't be consistently playing catch-up. But being down by one touchdown isn't really that much of a catch-up, particularly when the momentum shifts. As Simms observed after Reed's interception, "The wind seemed to go out of the Jets' sails."

For all that, the Jets had a decent chance to walk away victorious. They trailed 17-14 before their final possession in regulation time, when Carter revived the Jets' attack for the first time in the second half, taking them to a 1st-and-goal from the Baltimore 4-yard line with 44 seconds and one timeout to go.

Edwards, for some unexplained reason, allowed the clock to run. On the sidelines, Chad Pennington frantically called for a time out, while Carter gestured to Edwards as if to say "What's going on?"

Twenty-three precious seconds dribbled off the clock, and when the Jets finally ran a play, it was a one-yard plunge by Jordan - Martin did not get his hands on the football. On second down, Carter was forced to throw a roll-out pass out of bounds. This left the Jets with eight seconds instead of about 30 with a 3rd-and-goal at the Baltimore 3.

Every Jets fan was thinking one thing at that moment: You try and win the game right there, don't you, instead of settling for a trip to sudden-death overtime? A 3-step drop, a quick pass, a bootleg pass to the left side of the field - something? - and if that misses, you fall back on the field goal?

Yes, quarterbacks can always be sacked, but Carter's mobility would seem to have been ideally suited for this situation, enabling him to throw the ball out of bounds or out of the end zone if pressured. Inexplicably, Edwards opted to kick the chip-shot field goal and try his luck in overtime.

In overtime, Edwards made his third bad decision of the game, opting to receive instead of kicking off and trying to trap the Ravens deep in their own territory. After two punt exchanges, on the Ravens' third possession, Boller finally threw a decent pass, gained 20 yards, and set up the winning field goal.

The Ravens won, but they won't be going anywhere this year. Despite the constant preaching by former-coaches-turned-analysts about the importance of defense and running, you know that in the first round of the playoffs Baltimore will lose to a team with a good passing game, a team that will force them to play catch-up. As for the Jets, their early-season momentum is gone after Herman Edwards gave a clinic on how to outrun and out pass your opponent on your home field and still coach your team to a loss.

There were so many games that epitomized Herm's cluelessness but this game took the cake. When you have a 14-0 lead and are absolutley dominating the opposing team you do not run trick plays. There is no need too. BuT Herm felt there was.

He has no idea what he is doing. His idea of a game plan is to show up ever week, run the ball 30 times and hope the other team turns the ball over 4 times to win. If he were the Jets coach this year, with our average running game he would have ran cedric houston into the Minnesota run defense 25 times instead of doing what Mangini did. Spreading them out and throwing the ball.

He is such a moron its sad.

There were so many games that epitomized Herm's cluelessness but this game took the cake. When you have a 14-0 lead and are absolutley dominating the opposing team you do not run trick plays. There is no need too. BuT Herm felt there was.

He has no idea what he is doing. His idea of a game plan is to show up ever week, run the ball 30 times and hope the other team turns the ball over 4 times to win. If he were the Jets coach this year, with our average running game he would have ran cedric houston into the Minnesota run defense 25 times instead of doing what Mangini did. Spreading them out and throwing the ball.

He is such a moron its sad.

We all know Tagliabue was Edwards's rabbi. How he didn't destroy that NFL Network tape of the ravens game for his pal was beyond belief,and how anyone could hire him after watching that is a firing offense. Check out the "we'll get'em next time" speech at the end with the whole team trying to dress while ignoring him. Larry Johnson would surely recgnize it.

We all know Tagliabue was Edwards's rabbi. How he didn't destroy that NFL Network tape of the ravens game for his pal was beyond belief,and how anyone could hire him after watching that is a firing offense. Check out the "we'll get'em next time" speech at the end with the whole team trying to dress while ignoring him. Larry Johnson would surely recgnize it.

It was well noted around the league that the Jets' sideline under Herm was about as organized as a chinese firedrill at the end halves and games when we had to run a two minute offense or when Herm had to make a late game crucial decision. Bills 01, Giants 03, Baltimore 04, etc....

Peterson just wanted a schmuck that he could boss around because anybody who paid an ounce of attention to Herm shouldnt want anything to do with him.

hahahahaha. Hearing him speak, you'd think he turned a Jets team full of nobodies who'd had no success in recent memory & turned them into a string of 14-game winners who never needed week-17 help to get into the playoffs. What an a-hole.

Coming undone

The Chiefs unraveled during their losing streak, and now their wild-card hopes hang by a thread.

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

A plane ticket back home to Texas was cheaper online last week, and Derrick Johnson

Yeah, I saw that. If Herme was still here Thomas would be on the bench because "his strength is at DE not at OLB."

and ty law would be listenin to rap on his ipod in defensive meetings and cotchery would be on the pine (figuring what team do go to in feee agency) while mccareless played in front of him ,,again,,and quicny carter would get yet another chance...it goes on and on and on

and ty law would be listenin to rap on his ipod in defensive meetings and cotchery would be on the pine (figuring what team do go to in feee agency) while mccareless played in front of him ,,again,,and quicny carter would get yet another chance...it goes on and on and on

and by now we'd ALL have figured Herman Edwards out-there would be no doubt that he was a charlatan...I'm only mystified that it took me until last year ...pretty early on though in my defense to see it

and by now we'd ALL have figured Herman Edwards out-there would be no doubt that he was a charlatan...I'm only mystified that it took me until last year ...pretty early on though in my defense to see it

i have been banned from 2 message boards due to my public campaign to debunk him

i have been banned from 2 message boards due to my public campaign to debunk him

I am not worthy to be in your presence..I've always looked up to you as the Father figure that was never there for me as a child.thank you SJ!!!:P;)

“It’s a process. Once you feel it … it’s similar to what happened in New York for us. They kind of got it, they understood it.

Him and Bradway are delusional..after going 9-7 to win the division and beat the Colts in the first round in 2002..I remember Bradway saying that it was the first division and home playoff win since 1969...I was like..what??1998??12-4??Jacksonville win at home??they acted like they took over an expansion team..the Jets were 9-7 in 2000..he will never get it until he is exposed for the fraud he is..what an egomaniac.

Because Herm's stooges in the media protected him. Because "The most trafficked Jets MB on the internet" protected him.

They protected him for their own gain. They put their own selfish agenda ahead of the best interests of the organization and it's fanbase.

John Clayton wrote this for his First and 10 column:

"The killer for the Chiefs was a road loss to the Browns in Week 13. No one saw that coming. A home loss to the Chargers in Week 15 also hurt. The Chiefs just don't lose at home in December very often".

Home losses in December, it's only the beginning for the Chiefs.

Because Herm's stooges in the media protected him. Because "The most trafficked Jets MB on the internet" protected him.

They protected him for their own gain. They put their own selfish agenda ahead of the best interests of the organization and it's fanbase.

POTW nomination.

JI hasnt been called on carpet enough for their Yellow Journalism preotecting Herm for their own self-gain and banning many of us for talking about something we were proved right on.

POTW nomination.

JI hasnt been called on carpet enough for their Yellow Journalism preotecting Herm for their own self-gain and banning many of us for talking about something we were proved right on.

I agree, POTW.

That's OK we all know the leaders of JI are not "really" Jets fans. Because no true Jets fan would do what that POS does. Sooth and his band of stooges should change the name of his website to ChiefsInsider.com. Maybe him and cannizarro can relocate to KC from FLORIDA and make $55 a fan for nothing. I even think there is a Crispy Creme out there.

Archived