Herman Edwards NFL Diary(Playoff Edition)

BP

Herm Edwards NFL Diary

Herman Edwards, a former Monterey High and MPC standout, is in his first season as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. He spent the last five years as the head coach of the New York Jets, taking them to the playoffs three times. Edwards spent nine years in the NFL as a defensive back with the Philadelphia Eagles. Each week during the NFL season Edwards shares his thoughts with The Herald's John Devine.

Earlier in the season, when we started out 0-2, I showed the guys the 11 other teams that started 0-2.

I told them someone is going to get out of this mess and make the playoffs.

Why can't it be us?

After we beat the Raiders two weeks ago, I told them you'd be surprised what can happen in this league.

When the day started, five teams had to win their final game to have a shot. We won. The other four lost. That is not our fault.

We purposely didn't put the scores up during our game with Jacksonville. So when we went into the locker room, the players knew Denver still had to lose to the 49ers.

When I went home, my wife asked if I was going to watch the game. I said "No, I'm going to play with my daughter."

All I heard was her screaming the entire game. Finally she comes in the room and says, "It's going to overtime." I didn't watch the overtime either.

Then she comes in yelling, "We're going to playoffs."

A few minutes later, two 49er assistant coaches who coached with me in New York, called my wife's cell phone and told Lia, "This one is for Herm."

When I'm back in town, I'll have to take coach Mike Nolan to a restaurant of his choice.

The next call I got was from Colts coach Tony Dungy. He told me, "I was pulling for you."

Of course, the crazy part is my wife realized at that point that now we have to go play Tony and the Colts in the first round.

Tony was my mentor when we worked together in Tampa Bay. When we faced each other three years ago in the playoffs (Jets beat the Colts 41-0), we were the first two black head coaches to go up against each other in the postseason.

No one's talking about that now, which tells you how far the league has come in the last few years.

Chris Berman, an ESPN analyst, talked to me the other day, jokingly saying you've got two teams in the playoffs -- the second being the Jets.

I talked to Jets quarterback Chad Pennington the other day and told him I was happy for them.

The last time the Chiefs won a playoff game was when I was an assistant here in 1993 and Joe Montana was our quarterback. We reached the AFC championship game, losing to Buffalo.

The last two times the Chiefs have made the playoffs, the opponent was the Colts. Go figure.

Our media relations director informed me that I'm the first coach to take Kansas City to the playoffs in his first year and only the fifth coach in the NFL to take two teams to the playoffs as a first-year coach.

More importantly, getting to the playoffs is a building block for the foundation of this program and what I'm trying to do. That's my mentality. The guys see it's working.

I don't think it really sunk in for the players until Wednesday that we're in the tournament. The hard part is that I have to play Tony and the Colts.

We talk every week. This week was no different. Our wives have already planned dinner between them Saturday.

We've played in bits and pieces this year. But no, we haven't played a complete game. We played well down the stretch after losing three straight. We won seven of nine games after an 0-2 start.

But we did that with a backup quarterback. I don't know if Trent Green really hit his stride until last week's game against Jacksonville. So that bodes well for the postseason.

We know we're not going to stop the Colts passing game. Indy is going to move the ball. We can't worry about giving up yards. What we have to try and do is limit them to field goals.

On the other side of it, we have to be able to run the ball effectively, chew up the clock and keep their offense off the field.

We have to make first downs. We can't get ourselves into second-and-long situations. We've got a guy (NFL rushing champion Larry Johnson) that's going to get the rock a lot Saturday.

We're going into the playoffs on a run. We won our last two games, played good defense and put some points on the board against two pretty good defenses.

Trent's playing at a high level and you need that from your quarterback.

Getting to the playoffs is what makes this fun. We're a pretty excited group right now. Only eight players on this roster have played in a playoff game.

It's refreshing. They'll get a taste of it. And it's a great stepping stone. Once you get into the tournament, anything is possible.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/sports/16389412.htm

Some Jet talk in there too..enjoy Jet-Mo!! :lol:

These two parts caught my eye:

Chris Berman, an ESPN analyst, talked to me the other day, jokingly saying you've got two teams in the playoffs -- the second being the Jets.

So now this retard is trying to take credit for the Jets' season too? Unbelievable.

Our media relations director informed me that I'm the first coach to take Kansas City to the playoffs in his first year and only the fifth coach in the NFL to take two teams to the playoffs as a first-year coach.

Probably because you've been lucky enough to take over two playoff-ready teams, Herm. No way can this guy take over a rebuilding team and make them a success. **** you Herm.

At least we know where rajenson's been:

When I went home, my wife asked if I was going to watch the game. I said "No, I'm going to play with my daughter."

All I heard was her screaming the entire game. Finally she comes in the room and says, "It's going to overtime." I didn't watch the overtime either.

Then she comes in yelling, "We're going to playoffs."

A few minutes later, two 49er assistant coaches who coached with me in New York, called my wife's cell phone and told Lia, "This one is for Herm."

So now this retard is trying to take credit for the Jets' season too? Unbelievable.

I seriously doubt Berman said that. I'm sure it's Herm re-wording the truth to be a lie as usual. Berman's not going to come out and call him a liar & Herm knows it.

On that very page he also has them tout him as a former all-pro, which he never was either.

Tony was my mentor when we worked together in Tampa Bay. When we faced each other three years ago in the playoffs (Jets beat the Colts 41-0), we were the first two black head coaches to go up against each other in the postseason.

Why does he keep up with the I am Black thing.

His Mom is a born in Germany white woman. His Dad African American.

Wouldnt that make him Mixed race or whatever they call it 'Euro-African American'?

Even Tiger Woods calls himself 'Asian-African American'. Tiger doesnt deny half his heritage.

Herm has played this race card to the hilt in his career.

I can only imagine what ethnicity he calls himself on his Augusta National Application?

yeah, I like the guy less & less every time he opens his mouth. he made a real ass of himself saying good fortune & luck had nothing to do with chiefs backing into the playoffs.

whats the gameplan herm ? you gonna run johnson off tackle or off guard?

Why does he keep up with the I am Black thing.

His Mom is a born in Germany white woman. His Dad African American.

Wouldnt that make him Mixed race or whatever they call it 'Euro-African American'?

Even Tiger Woods calls himself 'Asian-African American'. Tiger doesnt deny half his heritage.

Herm has played this race card to the hilt in his career.

I can only imagine what he calls himself on his Augusta National Application?

Caddy/Ball Washer

Herm's an idiot...the guy is clueless...too bad we won;t get a chance to play them in the AFC championship game...but nothing would be better than kicking the crap out of the Pats in Foxboro and then in two weeks after that...pound KC and herm into the ground at the meadowlands.....It just would be great to beat Belly and Herm....

Wow..sound familiar..how long did it take him to look that up??

And people wonder why I hate that f8cker and I have to keep setting the record straight. What a scumbag. It's bad enough his media stooges say that sht but for him to repeat it, there's no reason for that.

Wow.

Truly amazing how a guy that has 5 days to prepare his team for a playoff game can still find the time to ramble on in an internet diary.

I salute you, Herm Edwards, you ****ing imbecile.

Perfectly sums up Herm....

Hmm.. lets see... Herm said two coaches on SF that he coached with called his wife and said this was for Herm...

There are 3 former Jets coaches on SF, Bishop Harris, Pep Hamilton and Jim Hostler.

I wonder which 2... maybe Harris and Hamilton?? 2 black coaches?? Or does Harris still hold a grudge after his sideline confrontation with Herm?

Wow.

Truly amazing how a guy that has 5 days to prepare his team for a playoff game can still find the time to ramble on in an internet diary.

I salute you, Herm Edwards, you ****ing imbecile.

great point actually.

just like the article in the Daily News when he left tha tsaid he would hang around after Press conferences and still BS with reporters for hours.

Other coaches do these things cause they have to and then run to the film room to prepare. Not Hermy.

On the other side of it, we have to be able to run the ball effectively, chew up the clock and keep their offense off the field.

We have to make first downs. We can't get ourselves into second-and-long situations. We've got a guy (NFL rushing champion Larry Johnson) that's going to get the rock a lot Saturday.

I have nothing to add

great point actually.

just like the article in the Daily News when he left tha tsaid he would hang around after Press conferences and still BS with reporters for hours.

Other coaches do these things cause they have to and then run to the film room to prepare. Not Hermy.

SJ- the only thing on Hermie's film room are the Little Rascals. Boy does Hermie love Alfafa and Buckwheat!

Archived