Outcome of Sunday's Game According to Bill Simmons

raffyD

In case you want to read the entire article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070105&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

PATRIOTS (-8.5) over Jets

It's been fun to see the Jets fans come out of a decade-long hibernation/depression to unleash taunting "you're going down!" e-mails and phone calls to Patriots fans like myself. You guys are cute. It's like having a puppy hump your leg or something. Anyway, here's the lingering question: How does a team with no home-field advantage, no deep threats, a banged-up secondary and one of the worst special teams units in football give 8.5 points to a team that played them tough twice? It makes no sense, right?

Here's the answer: The Pats tipped their hands in a meaningless Tennessee game last week. There's been a nagging sense since the curious Colts defeat that they were better than they were letting on, that they were playing possum to an extent, blessed with an easy schedule that guaranteed them the 4-seed four months ago. When the Titans got them riled up with a couple of chippy plays, the ticked-off Pats switched gears, kept their starters in, opened up both barrels and blew them off the field. It was an awesome performance. For the first time all season, they looked like the physical, nasty, ball-breaking, smashmouth team that won 21 straight and 31 of 33 during the '03 and '04 seasons. I can't imagine that team losing at home, in January, in a do-or-die game, to an opponent that can't run the ball or stop the run. It's not happening.

The Pick: New England 31, New York 10

Basically what he's saying is that because the Pats were good in the past at home in the playoffs that is all that matters, forget the lack of: wr's, homefield advantage or db's, they're the Pats, what else do you need to know. Not one mention of how the Jets have gotten progressively better on D, how the team has come together and shown that it will fight to the bitter end in every game it plays. Nothing but "Hey, these are the Pats and it's January so they win easy and they cover." I want a win so bad.

Congratulations Bill Simmons, you are the official winner of the 2007 dickweed award.

Well I'm outta here....it's going to be fun watching football on staurday...but the heavyweights will be playing at 1:00pm Sunday....

Forget what all these experts have to say cuase the moment of truth is finally here...Jets win...win end of story....It's going to be a good celebration sunday afternoon and all week long.

We have "one of the worst special teams units in football"? Is this douche-bag serious?

**** Bill Simmons. The world would be a better place without his over-rated "Teen Wolf" Boston-blowing columns.

He was talking about the New England special teams.

I'm concerned with the rookies, they're not used to playing this long into a season. I hope fatigue isn't a factor.

I would like to think fatigue will be one factor we won't have to worry about with Mangini at the helm. That might be a stupid thing for me to say b/c I'm not there for the teams practices and workouts, but I would say the Jets probably have some of the more conditioned rookies in the league....at least we know Washington's stamina should be up there after running all those laps for dropped passes and fumbles. lol :P

Archived