What are u listening to right now?

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'll have to check this out.  I've seen Jimmy Herring play live with Phil Lesh (and others).  What a terrific guitarist.

Yep, he played in all those Dead spin offs (The Other ones, The Dead, Phil and Friends, etc) he even played with the Bros too, dude is incredible, trained and educated in jazz guitar, you can see it in his solos, dude is rad. 

What I particularly like about Widespread Panic is they hit a little harder than your normal jam band. I often call it hippy metal.  lol  But these guys bring a great combo of influences that comes out in their music, and the songs they cover as well but you'll hear everything from Talking Heads to Black Sabbath to Pink Floyd to Bowie to The Bros and the Dead, etc. so they dont get lost in these bubbly airy going on where solo's, there is more drive to it. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Yep, he played in all those Dead spin offs (The Other ones, The Dead, Phil and Friends, etc) he even played with the Bros too, dude is incredible, trained and educated in jazz guitar, you can see it in his solos, dude is rad. 

What I particularly like about Widespread Panic is they hit a little harder than your normal jam band. I often call it hippy metal.  lol  But these guys bring a great combo of influences that comes out in their music, and the songs they cover as well but you'll hear everything from Talking Heads to Black Sabbath to Pink Floyd to Bowie to The Bros and the Dead, etc. so they dont get lost in these bubbly airy going on where solo's, there is more drive to it. 

@TuscanyTile2 perfect example of what I mean above; this is encore where they do Mountain Jam (Alman bros), End of the Show (WSP), Fairies Wear Boots (Sabbath) and Heroes (Bowie).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

@TuscanyTile2 perfect example of what I mean above; this is encore where they do Mountain Jam (Alman bros), End of the Show (WSP), Fairies Wear Boots (Sabbath) and Heroes (Bowie).  

Listening right now.  That little flourish at 2:42.  Dang!

"End Of The Show" gives me "China Doll" vibes.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Listening right now.  That little flourish at 2:42.  Dang!

"End Of The Show" gives me "China Doll" vibes.  

The one I posted of "Pigeons" is there song, that jam is ridiculous, if you were diggin it, check it out.  It's a rip!  David Schools the bass player has as a sick go of it, he toured with Warren Haynes and Govt. Mule for a few years.  Talented dudes for sure.  I dig'em, great shows, awesome party for sure.

On the one hand I'd really love to go to this because I like 90% of the bands and I'm sure the other 10% are fine as well. On the other hand I also tend to hate people that like this same kind of music so I don't think I'd enjoy being there with the people who will go. Oh well....

On 9/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've tried for a while to get into them but the only song of theirs that has ever "grabbed me" is "Subterranean Homesick Alien".  Give me some suggestions.

Some of the first songs to grab me were Paranoid Android, Nude, Just, Bodysnatchers, The Bends, and Weird Fishes. In terms of albums I found The Bends to be the easiest to jump into at first at least in my case. It's their most approachable as it's still very much 90's alt rock. In Rainbows was the next album I really liked at first. It's experimental but a really good and chill listen with a lot of variety. It's definitely the album that my friends took to the easiest when I suggested the band to them.

I really like their In Rainbows Basement concert. Really shows how varied they are and how none of it is lost live. Though that's more of a niche suggestion because I like watching live music recordings. 

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

Some of the first songs to grab me were Paranoid Android, Nude, Just, Bodysnatchers, The Bends, and Weird Fishes. In terms of albums I found The Bends to be the easiest to jump into at first at least in my case. It's their most approachable as it's still very much 90's alt rock. In Rainbows was the next album I really liked at first. It's experimental but a really good and chill listen with a lot of variety. It's definitely the album that my friends took to the easiest when I suggested the band to them.

I really like their In Rainbows Basement concert. Really shows how varied they are and how none of it is lost live. Though that's more of a niche suggestion because I like watching live music recordings. 

Thanks, I'll try checking these out.

• Sympathy 1

On 10/15/2022 at 12:35 AM, Nolder said:

image.thumb.png.77d96aa7fa4f19f65d028f2b74d8a46a.png

This concert should be titled:

"The Bands that killed Punk Rock"

lol - it's like the wannabe version of the old Vans Warp Tours.   

Which makes me wonder, since you're into all this post punk/emo stuff - did you dig or listen to any of the bands from the 90's that headlined the Vans Warp tour series and revitalized punk before these dweebs took over and ruined it?  ie; NOFX, Pennywise, Rancid, Lagwagon, Unwritten Law, Face to Face, No Use for a Name, Dropkicks, L7, Reel Big Fish,...Offspring and Green Day were a part before they went Pop.   Some of the 80's guys were still kicking too; Social D, Bad Religion, Descendants, Misfits, etc.

The irony here is last night we saw this dude covering a bunch of those bands and he played one of my all time favorites form that time and I just learned it on the guitar...

16 hours ago, JiFapono said:

This concert should be titled:

"The Bands that killed Punk Rock"

Punk is overrated imho. 

I mean, some of it's alright but like Grunge I'm glad it's a mostly dead phase in music.

lol - it's like the wannabe version of the old Vans Warp Tours.   

LMAO yes exactly haha.

Which makes me wonder, since you're into all this post punk/emo stuff - did you dig or listen to any of the bands from the 90's that headlined the Vans Warp tour series and revitalized punk before these dweebs took over and ruined it?  ie; NOFX, Pennywise, Rancid, Lagwagon, Unwritten Law, Face to Face, No Use for a Name, Dropkicks, L7, Reel Big Fish,...Offspring and Green Day were a part before they went Pop.   Some of the 80's guys were still kicking too; Social D, Bad Religion, Descendants, Misfits, etc.

The irony here is last night we saw this dude covering a bunch of those bands and he played one of my all time favorites form that time and I just learned it on the guitar...

Yeah I like some of them. Definitely not as big into it as the 00s stuff or, like you mentioned, the 80s.

I'd be more likely to listen to Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Suicidal Tendencies, or Bad Religion more than like NOFX or New Found Glory.

So idk. I mean even a lot of the stuff I don't really listen to I don't hate or anything.

6 hours ago, Nolder said:

Punk is overrated imho. 

I mean, some of it's alright but like Grunge I'm glad it's a mostly dead phase in music.

LMAO yes exactly haha.

Yeah I like some of them. Definitely not as big into it as the 00s stuff or, like you mentioned, the 80s.

I'd be more likely to listen to Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Suicidal Tendencies, or Bad Religion more than like NOFX or New Found Glory.

So idk. I mean even a lot of the stuff I don't really listen to I don't hate or anything.

Word, was just curious.   Yeah loves those bands you mentioned, but I was more so curious of fans of the emo stuff liked the actual punk from that decade.  Seems like you're into a little heavier sound when it comes to that genre even though you like all the cheesy emo bands too, ever hear some of the hardcore bands that came from the 90's?  Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Earth Crisis, Rites of Spring? etc?  Some really good gems in there:

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Word, was just curious.   Yeah loves those bands you mentioned, but I was more so curious of fans of the emo stuff liked the actual punk from that decade.  Seems like you're into a little heavier sound when it comes to that genre even though you like all the cheesy emo bands too, ever hear some of the hardcore bands that came from the 90's?  Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Earth Crisis, Rites of Spring? etc?  Some really good gems in there:

I've heard of Rites of Spring but not the others. The song you posted was good.

I'll be honest a lot of the 90s I was kind of tuned out to everything except teen pop lmao.

Britney Spears, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Boyz 2 Men, Spice Girls, etc.

It's only now that I've gotten older I've gone back and listened to some other stuff from that decade.

A friend of mine posted a video of this guy recently and it might be the best example I've ever seen of "don't judge a book by its cover".  Didn't expect much but checked out a couple of his videos and was blown away.