What are u listening to right now?

Worth every second. Thank god I got to see these two legends in concert, though not together. 

SRV, I saw two times, once at the West Side Piers, the other time...I forget where. I think The Ritz. 

Albert King was on a triple bill with Bobby Blue Bland and BB King. Pretty sure it was the old Palladium. 

• Sympathy 2

18 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Worth every second. Thank god I got to see these two legends in concert, though not together. 

SRV, I saw two times, once at the West Side Piers, the other time...I forget where. I think The Ritz. 

Albert King was on a triple bill with Bobby Blue Bland and BB King. Pretty sure it was the old Palladium. 

That triple bill sound sick.  Wow, what a great memory to have.  Kudos.

• Upvote 2

On 5/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, thebuzzardman said:

wow..  Lucky You.  Missed out on SRV.  Had an invite to see SRV in 1985 in Passaic NJ.  Regret not having attended.  That Capital Theater concert ended up on you tube (the first 45 minutes of it anyway... even though it says full concert.)  So at least I've been able to vicariously enjoy the one show I most regret missing. That, and going to many KWS concerts, for which the drummer is none other than Chris Layton.

Stevie Ray was special and there's no one else on the planet who can replace him.  Still sad to this very day about that terrible helicopter crash.

48 minutes of the show:

^A truly incredible show

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Nice to see that there are some blues fans here.  I saw Stevie Ray from about 8 feet away, before he became famous. This was at My Father’s Place in Roslyn, New York. He just blew me, and everyone else away. 
Another guitarist whom I saw 7-8 times at My Father’s Place was Roy Buchanan.  He was incredible.  Lots of videos available on YouTube. Check out “The Messiah Will come again.

Another recommendation, if you like more soulful blues playing with an emphasis on feel and tone, would be to check out  Peter Green of the original Fleetwood Mac, 1968-1971, before the Stevie Nicks era. I would suggest any live version of “I’ve Got A Mind To Give Up Living” and the 5:04 version of Love That Burns.”  

The best music purchase that I ever made was a 3-DVD set put out by Hip-O records called The American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1964.  It has all of the first generation electric greats: Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, etc. Hope some of you check this out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I spent more than a few nights in my late teens and early 20's at that little dump under Northern Blvd.  I swear, I thought the road would collapse onto the place.    So many great shows and so much fun.  Take me back.   

"My Father's Place was a music venue in Roslyn, New York. It first opened in 1971, and according to The New York Times, "created a scene that would influence music for decades to come."[1]

In the nearly sixteen years the club was open before it closed in 1987, My Father's Place presented more than 6,000 shows from over 3,000 diverse artists. Its owner Michael "Eppy" Epstein refused to book cover bands, and so the club became known as a place aspiring artists could perform. Young unknown musicians such as Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Aerosmith, The Police, Tom Petty, as well as hopeful comics Billy Crystal, Eddie Murphy, and Andy Kaufman, and a host of others graced the stage. In the summer of 2018 Epstein opened a new version of the club in a location not far from the original venue, in the newly renovated Roslyn Hotel (formerly the Roslyn Claremont Hotel)."

pjimage-2.jpg

8c7dbf396371fe54069437a47b4b2ecc.jpg

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Dcat said:

I spent more than a few nights in my late teens and early 20's at that little dump under Northern Blvd.  I swear, I thought the road would collapse onto the place.    So many great shows and so much fun.  Take me back.   

"My Father's Place was a music venue in Roslyn, New York. It first opened in 1971, and according to The New York Times, "created a scene that would influence music for decades to come."[1]

In the nearly sixteen years the club was open before it closed in 1987, My Father's Place presented more than 6,000 shows from over 3,000 diverse artists. Its owner Michael "Eppy" Epstein refused to book cover bands, and so the club became known as a place aspiring artists could perform. Young unknown musicians such as Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Aerosmith, The Police, Tom Petty, as well as hopeful comics Billy Crystal, Eddie Murphy, and Andy Kaufman, and a host of others graced the stage. In the summer of 2018 Epstein opened a new version of the club in a location not far from the original venue, in the newly renovated Roslyn Hotel (formerly the Roslyn Claremont Hotel)."

pjimage-2.jpg

8c7dbf396371fe54069437a47b4b2ecc.jpg

MFP-BAR.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, JoeFan said:

Nice to see that there are some blues fans here.  I saw Stevie Ray from about 8 feet away, before he became famous. This was at My Father’s Place in Roslyn, New York. He just blew me, and everyone else away. 
Another guitarist whom I saw 7-8 times at My Father’s Place was Roy Buchanan.  He was incredible.  Lots of videos available on YouTube. Check out “The Messiah Will come again.

Another recommendation, if you like more soulful blues playing with an emphasis on feel and tone, would be to check out  Peter Green of the original Fleetwood Mac, 1968-1971, before the Stevie Nicks era. I would suggest any live version of “I’ve Got A Mind To Give Up Living” and the 5:04 version of Love That Burns.”  

The best music purchase that I ever made was a 3-DVD set put out by Hip-O records called The American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1964.  It has all of the first generation electric greats: Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, etc. Hope some of you check this out. 

Peter Green!  A true rock star.  Went on an LSD trip and never came back.  He wanted to give away all of his money and live a simple life.  Was arrested because he pulled a gun on his accountant because the guy kept sending him royalty checks.  Made me listen to this one with the Blues Breakers. Usually I go for Green Manilishi.