What are u listening to right now?

In honor of the start of the season (aside from it being an awesome song).

As a bonus, it often led into "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" (another outstanding song), which has a blood curdling scream that feels very appropriate for the disaster most Jet regular seasons turn into.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, JiFapono said:

@TuscanyTile2 sorry, Bum got me side tracked. 

A band I've dived into recently who is really much more complex and out there than I thought is Siouxsie and the Banshees.  I obviously knew of their hits and some of their big covers that hit the charts but some of their early stuff is incredible. 

I don't think I had previously listened to this.  Listening now and liking it.  I only know a couple of their songs.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:00 PM, Grandy said:

Interestingly enough after seeing Buckley perform, Thom Yorke of Radiohead was inspired to change his vocal style to incorporate more falsetto. So yeah, the sound similarity checks out.

Radiohead has been a slow grower for me but I like a lot of their material now, and Grace by Jeff Buckley is just incredible imo. Especially with the context of his death the album is all that more powerful. 

I've tried for a while to get into them but the only song of theirs that has ever "grabbed me" is "Subterranean Homesick Alien".  Give me some suggestions.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, JiFapono said:

@TuscanyTile2 sorry, Bum got me side tracked. 

A band I've dived into recently who is really much more complex and out there than I thought is Siouxsie and the Banshees.  I obviously knew of their hits and some of their big covers that hit the charts but some of their early stuff is incredible. 

Great song!

That part starting at 3:30 is what I think of when I think of them.  It's also the build-up to it, of course.   And I really like how they move chords/notes up and down a half step to create tension.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've tried for a while to get into them but the only song of theirs that has ever "grabbed me" is "Subterranean Homesick Alien".  Give me some suggestions.

We have very similar ears.  I'm a meh on Radiohead though I do like the songs; Creep, High and Dry, Karma Police...fun songs to play too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

We have very similar ears.  I'm a meh on Radiohead though I do like the songs; Creep, High and Dry, Karma Police...fun songs to play too.

It's surprising to me how much overlap we seem to have.  Love it though.  We both play guitar too.  Maybe that factors into it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's surprising to me how much overlap we seem to have.  Love it though.  We both play guitar too.  Maybe that factors into it.

I woke up to some Stevie this morning but yesterday I had a little drive ahead of me and I picked a band to listen too, this will test our relationship.  lol  What are your thoughts on Blind Melon? 

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I woke up to some Stevie this morning but yesterday I had a little drive ahead of me and I picked a band to listen too, this will test our relationship.  lol  What are your thoughts on Blind Melon? 

I don't think about Blind Melon often.  Heck, I even had to confirm that they were the "No Rain" band.  I doubt I know any of their songs other than that one. 

Regarding "No Rain", I like the guitar parts and tone (dreamy sounding!) and I like the way that song is mixed (or maybe produced?)  The singer has something to his voice but it doesn't really grab me (sorry to keep using that phrase).   To some degree, it kind of annoys me (even though he's a good singer).

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think about Blind Melon often.  Heck, I even had to confirm that they were the "No Rain" band.  I doubt I know any of their songs other than that one. 

Regarding "No Rain", I like the guitar parts and tone (dreamy sounding!) and I like the way that song is mixed (or maybe produced?)  The singer has something to his voice but it doesn't really grab me (sorry to keep using that phrase).   To some degree, it kind of annoys me (even though he's a good singer).

lmfao, by far my least favorite song from them, go figure it's their biggest hit.  I'll post a few I dig that I was jamming too, I think you'll like it, be surprised if you didnt honestly.

@JiFapono

"Mouthful of Cavities" had some pretty nice guitar playing but it felt like something that a talented "regular guy" guitar player (as opposed to "guitar god") would come up with.

"Skinned" I think I got the idea of but I feel like it could've been something if done by Neil Young.

"Toes Across The Floor" was listenable and somewhat entertaining but it didn't quite get there for me. 

"St Andrews Fall" I liked the first ~1:45 of but I didn't care much for the bridge.   The beginning of the song has a Carly Simon meets Jeff Buckley ("Last Goodbye") vibe to me.  This is my favorite of the 5 songs you sent.

"Change" was okay as well.  Maybe I like their acoustic stuff more.  At some points on this one the singer's voice kind of reminded me of Janis Joplin. 

My initial impression is that, overall, they're okay but not so much my thing.  I don't think I'd actively search out any of these songs to listen to again, with the possible exception of "St Andrews Fall".

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

@JiFapono

"Mouthful of Cavities" had some pretty nice guitar playing but it felt like something that a talented but "regular guy" guitar player (as opposed to a guitar god) would come up with.

"Skinned" I think I got the idea of but I feel like it could've been something if done by Neil Young.

"Toes Across The Floor" was listenable and somewhat entertaining but it didn't quite get there for me.

"St Andrews Fall" I liked the first ~1:45 of but I didn't care much for the bridge.   The beginning of the song has a Carly Simon meets Jeff Buckley ("Last Goodbye") vibe to me.  This is my favorite of the 5 songs you sent.

"Change" was okay as well.  Maybe I like their acoustic stuff more.  At some points on this one the singer's voice kind of reminded me of Janis Joplin. 

My initial impression is that, overall, they're okay but not so much my thing.  I don't think I'd actively search out any of these songs to listen to again with the possible exception of "St Andrews Fall".

It's ok, we can still be friends.  This just was really more of a test.  How far would I let you go, which the limits were endless if you loved them, fyi.

• Haha 1