Why not a 4-3 Defense???

Steveg

Or, is this what Manigini has in mind?

The Jets now have a lot of D-lineman but no true NT. Since Vilma excels in the 4-3, why not make that the base D?

This also lets them keep D-Rob at his natural position and frees him up.

Unless they move up to draft Branch, this is the best use of their personnel.

I can still see the Patriots running it down our throats right up the middle in the 2nd half of that last game...UGHHHH

The 3-4 defense is better than the 4-3, its also harder to run but we have the right coach for it.

Bryan Thomas has done much better in the 3-4

Also the 3-4 brings more speed to the field and should help us more than hurt us in the long run.

The 3-4 defense is better than the 4-3, its also harder to run but we have the right coach for it.

Bryan Thomas has done much better in the 3-4

Also the 3-4 brings more speed to the field and should help us more than hurt us in the long run.

It is great to have a coach that can run a 3-4 but it's sorta counter productive if you don't have the personell for it.

This is why as much as I love Vilma I would be open minded about a trade if it got us something that fit our needs better in return.

It is great to have a coach that can run a 3-4 but it's sorta counter productive if you don't have the personell for it.

This is why as much as I love Vilma I would be open minded about a trade if it got us something that fit our needs better in return.

34 is just a better defense, much harder to read, you can do so many different things out of it. you are right on the personel, but rome wasn't built in a day...

People like to read a whole lot into the Jets signing D linemen. Did anybody notice that they are all ends? Sure a few are 3-4 ends and might be capable of playing a little tackle, but they are still DEs. The 3-4 and the 4-3 put the same number of DEs on the field. A more likely reason for their signing so many DEs is that Kimo sucked and nobody else was close to pushing him. They still don't have a single DT on the roster other than DRob that has proven deserving of NFL playing time.

34 is just a better defense, much harder to read, you can do so many different things out of it. you are right on the personel, but rome wasn't built in a day...

Your right and thats the reason I believe we should play more 4-3 until we can effectively play a 3-4 full time.

Your right and thats the reason I believe we should play more 4-3 until we can effectively play a 3-4 full time.

We dont play the 3-4 exclusively... we play whatever is working best already

We dont play the 3-4 exclusively... we play whatever is working best already

Thats it. We didn't at any time last year play a pure 3-4 D it was a hybrid 4-3.

I think that Mr Mangini is keeping his cards close to his chest and MAY go 4-3 next year or with the same hybrid mix. I like it it alot beacuse its so hard to read , the only problem is , is finding players that comfortable running it , IMO Vilma isn't and hes pivotol to what we are going to achieve.

Our main divisional rival is again going to be the Pats , and if we can gain the upper hand by simply shifting our D around during the game with the right personel we could have anothet win at Foxboro which will be a key game.

If Vilma had a real NT and if Kimo didnt suck, trade talks wouldnt even be a conversation. Anyway, Mangini does like to run both 4-3 and 3-4, and remember, the Jets DID NOT have the pieces to run the 3-4 or 4-3 effectively last season. Expect a much better defensive play next season.

ARRGH!!!!

We ran the 3-4 last year and we'll run it this year. We didnt just sign B.Thomas to a five year deal to all of a sudden go back to a system in which he wasnt successful. Coleman is a DE. He will play most of the time in place of Kimo at one of the DE positions with Ellis at the other and D Rob at NT. So in the base 3-4 the front seven will look like this:

Ellis DRob Coleman

Hobson Barton Vilma B. Thomas.

But the great thing about the 3-4 is that you can run multiple looks including something that looks like a 4-3. So our 4-3 look might look like this:

Ellis DRob Coleman B. Thomas

Hobson Barton Vilma

Notice that the 3-4 relies on one and sometimes both of the OLBs to have the ability to line up on the LOS. So, often the 3-4 v. the 4-3 look is just a matter of where B. Thomas lines up. This is why the emergence of B Thomas was so important and why they signed him to a contract extension during the season.

Patience is a virtue, folks. We have to give this 3-4 more than 1 year before we say scrap it, especially since the negatives about the system are centered around 2 1st round picks, Vilma and Robertson. Mangini didn't draft Vilma and Robertson, but that doesn't mean they cannot improve within his system (although to be honest, I have MUCH more faith in Vilma doing so than Robertson). Give it time.

Vilma wants to be a great player. If he really is going to be great, he shouldn't be limited to being great ONLY in a 4-3 system.

Archived