Retired # or Jetway of Honor???

MSGold12

I didn't. Mentioned him yesterday. My favorite Jet when I was growing up. Mentioned Schmitt, Herman and Lyons as well. Yeah, I mentioned Criswell but I was wrong. I was trying to find a lineman from that late Walton thru Coslet era. I remembered him and Cadigan. But Cadigan seemed to miss alot of time due to injury. So I threw Criswell out there. My bad.

Sorry, Crack. Inadvertantly overlooked your post.

Terrific list. I agree with most all. A few comments...

I take out Marvin JOnes...to be frank, his career never lived up to what we hoped it would.

Of your "no" list Id have to say haprer is in. If Byrd gets in for sentimental reasons the harper gets in for the combination of being the best all purpose back we have ever had AND being imnmesely popular. I also put Glenn in...he was our best CB of all time.

Won't argue with any of your choices. You can make a case for all the guys you mention.

You could also argue that Jones is on the fence, but if Harper goes in, I'd put Jones in there to.

Sorry, Crack. Inadvertantly overlooked your post.

Jow Willie..Not a problem. Met Rasmussen when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old at a Sears off of Route 1 in New Brunswick (Raritan). What a gentleman. Even though your namesake is Mr Jet. To me Randy Rasmussen was.

BTW, I think your list was spot on. I posted this earlier. What do you think of Clifton being added?

Jow Willie..Not a problem. Met Rasmussen when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old at a Sears off of Route 1 in New Brunswick (Raritan). What a gentleman. Even though your namesake is Mr Jet. To me Randy Rasmussen was.

BTW, I think your list was spot on. I posted this earlier. What do you think of Clifton being added?

I loved Kyle Clifton ... just about led the team in tackles year after year it seemed ...

If you put a guy like Alexander in, I guess you'd have to put Clifton in, too.

Good catch, Crack. Can't believe I didn't even think of him.

I loved Kyle Clifton ... just about led the team in tackles year after year it seemed ...

Intersting tidbit on Clifton...

Between the time he retired in 1995 and 2005, no player had been issued #59. I was curius if this was intentional for Clifton and I called the jets who confirmed that it was "unofficially takne out of circulation" (along with #90 for Byrd) but not retired.

I found this strange. Why Clifton? He was never a pro bowler. Aside from 1985 and 1986, he only played on 1 better then 500 team (1988), and only won 1 playoff game in his career. It made no sense to me. The jets have done this before. Boozer's #32 wasnt issued between 1976 and 1990. Snell's #41 wasnt issued between 1972 and 1998. Maynard's #13 wasnt issued between 1973 and 1985. But for other greats, they gave out their numbers all the time. Klecko's #73 was worn by several players before finally retired. Freeman McNeils #24 was given out. Fields #65 was givne out.

Not sure why Kyle Clifton was aforded such reverance????

Between the time he retired in 1995 and 2005, no player had been issued #59. I was curius if this was intentional for Clifton and I called the jets who confirmed that it was "unofficially takne out of circulation" (along with #90 for Byrd) but not retired.

I found this strange. Why Clifton? He was never a pro bowler. Aside from 1985 and 1986, he only played on 1 better then 500 team (1988), and only won 1 playoff game in his career. It made no sense to me. The jets have done this before. Boozer's #32 wasnt issued between 1976 and 1990. Snell's #41 wasnt issued between 1972 and 1998. Maynard's #13 wasnt issued between 1973 and 1985. But for other greats, they gave out their numbers all the time. Klecko's #73 was worn by several players before finally retired. Freeman McNeils #24 was given out. Fields #65 was givne out.

The old Horned Frog played his entire 13 years here and I don't think he ever missed a game. I think they try not to give out certain players' numbers, but with all the guys in camp they can't help it. I just hope whoever they eventually give it to isn't a piece of **** like they gave Boozer's number.

Interest info, MS ... never realized that about #59.

It is my understanding that the new stadium will have an area where both teams can portray their history in whatever way they see fit. Having such an area honoring the players mentioned would be nice...

"In addition, a hotel and conference center, a tailgating park and an interactive center that would combine the two teams' Halls of Fame with the NFL Experience would be built."

Thanks Joe. For a guy that wasn't overly fast he certainly stuck his nose in on seemingly every play.

I think part of it is that we are a highlight reel society. We don't look at the guy that goes out there, does his job and then goes home as special. Just his 13 seasons as a Jet is enough to consider him. How many guys have played 5 seasons for the Jets or any other NFL team? Probably alot less than you think. The fact that this guy was a solid player, who didn't b*tch and moan about anything and was a great teammate and leader puts him in there for me. Truly one of the more unsung Jets.

Archived