Why The Pats Won't Repeat

Maxman

Nice try Max. :^o

You said Troy Brown's loss out of the secondary would be the biggest obstacle.

Like I said, props to you.

You have to admit that using Troy Brown's loss in the secondary and keeping a straight face at the same time...that was pretty good!

Also PFSIKH I am not the only one who feels this way. We have gotten lots of fan mail that has expressed the same opinion. Here is one:

Dear JetNation.com:

The Pats will suck now that they lost both coordinators. The dynasty is over. The Jets rule.

Signed,

Juan

Dude, that was the funniest thing I've read in awhile. Can't understand why it didn't get a better responce.

BTW "Juan" was obviously recruited from JI, right?... :wink:

Dude, that was the funniest thing I've read in awhile. Can't understand why it didn't get a better responce.

BTW "Juan" was obviously recruited from JI, right?... :wink:

Damn FE, you ruined it.

I was hoping Max's post got ZERO responses.

I agree, that has been his best post since he started the site.

He was much funnier on another board. :shock:

Gotta admit Max, that was pretty good. :lol:

I am lame now. I am not denying it.

Does anyone remember Juan from another board? He always seemed to have good insight. I think he was the guy who wanted to bring back Vinny and bench Chad.

Shocking! :wink:

One reason and one reason only.

No one has ever won three straight Super Bowls.

It will never happen.

The Eagles are the only team to play 19 or more games in a season, 4 years in a row, and they only made it to the SB once during that stretch, and lost it. But the Eagles demonstrated resiliency.

Where the Eagles kept running out of gas, the Pat's had one less hurdle to jump. And that's what has made all the difference. A bit of luck is required to only have to win two home playoff games to get to the SB. To do it 2 years in a row is like getting struck by lightning.

No way they finish the 2005 season with best overall record in the AFC.

So no way they go back to the super bowl. Consider this also:

The core guys that were all here before Belli arrived (McGinist, Ty Law, Bruschi) are either gone or on the way out. Attrition starts to set in this year. And these are the guys that jump through the burning hoops for Belli. The guys that signed up for less money to win a championship (Colvin, Harrison, Dillon) got what they came for, and I think they will lose a bit of the hunger. Maybe one of them, or somebody will pull a Keyshawn and hold out for more money. The way Kraft low balls these guys on contracts it's bound to happen sooner or later to Belli. Losing Weis and Crennel will be a big hit, too. They'll win 10+ games, but somebody will knock them off in the playoffs.

EAW...this is a real good post.

Ham has been screaming about getting a bye and home field for years. It truly is the path to the superbowl.

Gotta give both you guys credit on this one.

The Eagles are the only team to play 19 or more games in a season, 4 years in a row, and they only made it to the SB once during that stretch, and lost it. But the Eagles demonstrated resiliency.

Where the Eagles kept running out of gas, the Pat's had one less hurdle to jump. And that's what has made all the difference. A bit of luck is required to only have to win two home playoff games to get to the SB. To do it 2 years in a row is like getting struck by lightning.

The core guys that were all here before Belli arrived (McGinist, Ty Law, Bruschi) are either gone or on the way out. Attrition starts to set in this year. And these are the guys that jump through the burning hoops for Belli. The guys that signed up for less money to win a championship (Colvin, Harrison, Dillon) got what they came for, and I think they will lose a bit of the hunger. Maybe one of them, or somebody will pull a Keyshawn and hold out for more money. The way Kraft low balls these guys on contracts it's bound to happen sooner or later to Belli. Losing Weis and Crennel will be a big hit, too. They'll win 10+ games, but somebody will knock them off in the playoffs.

That was a real good post.

You absolutely nailed it about gaining a bye and playing at home.

That is one reason Hermy's "making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years" is so damn over rated. What have the Jets had during that time, one lousy home playoff game.

Ern...not for nothing but the people in Foxboro last January were all wearing Black and Gold. :wink:

Intersting points in your last paragraph. You are correct in that Belichick has relied on a corps of veterans to a point, especially on defense, but has the loss of any one player on defense derailed this team in the past two seasons? No. Ted Washington missed half the season and then left. The run defense was about the same with or without him. Ditto Ty Law. 12-1 without him last year. 17-2 the year before without the irreplacable Lawyer Milloy. Richard Seymour missed the last couple of games and then the Colts and Steelers game in the playoffs.

The point I think you miss the boat on is the second half of the bold. Players have left. After the first Superbowl, half the DL left and after the second one...Damien Woody left on the OL. After Brady, which player is totally irreplaceable? None. Which leads to another missed point, Belichick and Pioli bring in players that want to be there for the right price. They do not wine and dine, they take them to Ground Round. This is not to say they are cheap, Kraft takes care of his players as there daytime meals are catered affairs with lobster and such.

The Patriots will have to work hard for a three-peat. They have shown in the past two years that they can be absolutely horrible for games (Buffalo 03, Washington 03 and Pittsburgh 04) or for a few minutes(Miami 04), but the have shown 34 other times even when the defense or offense is failing unless there is a total meltdown, they win. Even if the Colts, Steelers or even the Jets finally beat them in the playoffs, this team is built for a nice long run. They will have to change parts every year whether players or coaches, but as long as Belichick and Brady are there, they will be better then most.

Ern...not for nothing but the people in Foxboro last January were all wearing Black and Gold. :wink:

:oops:#-o

Right, but the Pats still only had to win 2 playoff games to get to the SB, and only one was on the road.

Intersting points in your last paragraph. You are correct in that Belichick has relied on a corps of veterans to a point, especially on defense, but has the loss of any one player on defense derailed this team in the past two seasons? No.

True. But he's bucking a trend. Sooner or later...

The Patriots will have to work hard for a three-peat. They have shown in the past two years that they can be absolutely horrible for games (Buffalo 03, Washington 03 and Pittsburgh 04) or for a few minutes(Miami 04), but the have shown 34 other times even when the defense or offense is failing unless there is a total meltdown, they win.

Like I keep saying, the law of averages has to bite them in the butt sooner or later.

but as long as Belichick and Brady are there, they will be better then most

Better than most doesn't always translate into championships. It has for the Pats 3 out of 4 seasons, but their were alot of intangibles that contributed to that success. Being a great coach, and/or having all the horses, does not mean you're gonna get the ball to bounce your way every time.

And lets face it, the Pat's have gotten some breaks along the way. Somebody once said good luck is the product of preparation, and I agree with that to a certain point. The Pats have always transcended that line. But if you just study the law of averages, the odds of the Pats winning three in a row is like getting struck by lightning.

Watch out for Saban.

Who know's Bellichik better than him?

And lets face it, the Pat's have gotten some breaks along the way. Somebody once said good luck is the product of preparation, and I agree with that to a certain point. The Pats have always transcended that line. But if you just study the law of averages, the odds of the Pats winning three in a row is like getting struck by lightning.

Watch out for Saban.

Who know's Bellichik better than him?

True, the Patriots are by no means an overwhelming favorite to win the three-peat. Too much football to play between now and then and on any given Sunday the Patriots can be beat.

Even despite the probable loss of Bruschi and the departures of Charley and RAC, this team is set-up to defend their title. Whether it happens remains to be seen, but if it does not, they are primed to make runs the rest of the decade.

Archived