Martin or Dillon

PatsFanTX

Damn, it's boring as hell around here.

Let's see if I can stir a little controversy (the Brady or PennyBoy threads no longer work for obvious reasons) around here.

OK, going into next season (not their careers), who would you rather have as your starting RB and why?

To me it's a no-brainer. Dillon is a bigger and faster back who breaks tackles better than any RB in the NFL, can control a game with a lead and he always comes to play in big games.

Martin is a little finesse back who looks cute, picks up meaningless yards against poor defenses and has no idea what the definition of a "big game" is.

What does you folks think?

BTW savage, just say "word". :wink:

Yup, you are right. Martin amassed 1697 "meaningless" yards last year againt bad Defenses.

Martin has rushed for 1000+ yards every year with just finesse.

Martin has never played in any BIg games and done well

And of course Dillonhas played in hundreds of "big" games..mostly when he was in Cincinatti.

Curtis Martin

Height: 5-11 Weight: 210 Born: May 1, 1973 - Pittsburgh, PA College: Pittsburgh

Draft: 1995 - 3rd round (10th pick) by the New England Patriots

Corey Dillon

Height: 6-1 Weight: 225 Born: Oct 24, 1974 - Seattle, WA College: Washington

Draft: 1997 - 2nd round (13th pick) by the Cincinnati Bengals

And as you can see, Dillon is 10 times bigger than the "small" Martin.

This has to be one of the worst cases of "Patriot Ego" I have ever seen...

Damn, it's boring as hell around here.

Let's see if I can stir a little controversy (the Brady or PennyBoy threads no longer work for obvious reasons) around here.

OK, going into next season (not their careers), who would you rather have as your starting RB and why?

To me it's a no-brainer. Dillon is a bigger and faster back who breaks tackles better than any RB in the NFL, can control a game with a lead and he always comes to play in big games.

Martin is a little finesse back who looks cute, picks up meaningless yards against poor defenses and has no idea what the definition of a "big game" is.

What does you folks think?

BTW savage, just say "word". :wink:

savage senses

Spiderman_Magnet_Sense1.gif

are tingling...

You want gobeldygook... Dillon is a selfish piece of sh*t that benefitedfrom the Charlie Weiss schemes. Things will turn sour in a hurry if the Pats struggle at all this year.

Martin is a class act and he is the most underrated player in the NFL.

This crap comparison may fly on a Pats board, But obviosly there are not any good ones for you to visit.

You want gobeldygook... Dillon is a selfish piece of Sh#t that benefitedfrom the Charlie Weiss schemes. Things will turn sour in a hurry if the Pats struggle at all this year.

Martin is a class act and he is the most underrated player in the NFL.

This crap comparison may fly on a Pats board, But obviosly there are not any good ones for you to visit.

Tx just got sonned.

I would take Martin. Dillon is just one wrong turn away from another visit to a crackhouse and suspension.

Plus Curtis has always been better. Dillon isn't that young and I would bet on Curtis' offseason conditioning program over Corey's.

I would take Dillon.

Bigger, faster, more of a home run threat, and he actually shows up in big games.

Yeah he played in a lot of big games with the Bengals. And the Pats won twice with nobody at RB.

If you look at it from a Cap concern then Dillon

is the Clear choice Money wise! If you look at it

from who is great Guy who is nice to his Mommy and a avid Church goer then Martin is the choice! However what that has to do with football is beyond me..

Dillon before coming to the Pats never played with

a Top QB or on a Team better then 7-9..Martin never

played on a bad team except 03 when his 2 TD's helped

the Jets to 6-10! Whose the better runner Cory! Who

is the better person Cumar!! =D>

Yeah he played in a lot of big games with the Bengals. And the Pats won twice with nobody at RB.

Dillon didn't get to play a truly meaningful game until last year.

Martin has played in a ton of meaningful games over his career. And how much has he produced in them? Martin is a stand-up guy and a sure-fire Hall of Famer, but if the Hall of Fame were judged strictly on performance in crunch time, Curtis would never make the ballot.

Both are great backs.

Both would be successful for either team.

However, while Martin is the better receiver out of the backfield, Dillon is a better fit for the Patriots underwhelming OL.

Props to Dante Scarnecchia.

There has been such a dearth of talent in the Patriots backfield since I became a fan in 1979, it was refreshing to watch Dillon run.

He is a load. He is a pure runner. He manufactures yards after contact. If he still had his breakaway speed he had when he was younger, we would have about 20 TDs, because there were several ocassions during the season and usually in the big games, he got into the secondary and was chased down after a long gain.

One Jets' fan argument is that he breaks one big run a game and that boosts his yardage totals. Exactly. In the first Colts game, he helped turn momenteum early by rambling through the Colts. Against the Jets, he changed field position drastically (the Play Bryan Thomas dragged him down from behind) and set-up a Patriots field goal. After the Steelers cut the game defeicit down to 14, he ripped the Steelers for a 25 yard TD and he had one monster drive in the Superbowl that helped open the passing game for Brady.

As I said above, both are very very good, but Dillon is a little better.

How about a Chad vs Tom thread Tex. :wink:

Exactly Max! If you have a great D and QB you

can get away with what the Pats had in 01 and

03 RB's like Smith and Faulk! If you have a OK

D and a learning QB you need a back that can take

over a Game..Can Martin do that?? In the Playoffs

I mean!.. [-X

How about a Chad vs Tom thread Tex. :wink:

PFSIKH, as I said in my initial post here, that arguement has been put to bed ten times over.

As Pats fans here, we have to be courteous to our Jet fan friends.

Starting a Brady vs PennyBoy, would be like kicking them when they are down. :wink:

Let's see, who is more dependable? How many games has Martin missed over the past 5 years? Dillon? Seems like Martin hasn't missed any games, yet the big, powerful Dillon has missed a bunch because of various nagging injuries. Boo hoo, what a pussy. I will take Martin in a heartbeat, at least he is dependable (plus as an extra added bonus, he did lead the league in rushing last year).

My decision was made after the playoffs.

I saw both Martin and Dillon both play the Steelers defense.

I think we all know who had a better game.

Now it were Dillon vs Jordan for next year. I'm going with Jordan.

It's not even a question going into next year. If you want a guy who compiles numbers in regular season games, Martin's your man.If you want a guy who plays big in big games, Dillon, based on last year, is the clear choice. Physically, it isn't a decision either.

it's popular to point out what martin does'nt play well in big games. depending on who's posting, you might be lead to believe the man's never played well in a big game in his life.

dillon's a good back, but he sure seems to be getting alot of mileage of a few good games. he did play in charlie weiss' O last year.

martin on the otherhand has played under paul "the dope" hackett. now if you want to tell me hackett gave martin the ball to much, i'll listen. but if you try & tell me that it did'nt flat work against him in "big games," you'll lose me. everybody & their momma knew (under hackett) if you stopped martin you would beat the jets. playoff quality D's could sell out up front without any fear of the jets going over the top. jimmy brown would have had a tough time under those conditions.

Wow, nice to see some objective responses from Jet fans. =D>

Hey, what would be the next good comparison thread:

Woody vs. Kraft

BB vs Hermy :lol::lol::lol:

Fabini vs Light

Harrison vs Tongue

Branch vs Coles

Graham vs Jolley

Koppen vs Cheap Shot Artist

AV vs a wasted 2nd round pick :lol::lol::lol:

Pioli vs Bradway

Gillette Stadium vs Giants Stadium :lol::lol::lol:

Lets see how well Martin does without a predictable stupid coordinator like Hackett, and with a fiery, unpredictable, innovative coordinator like Heimerdinger.

Both are great. Dillon might be better though, but if he is, it's by less than the hair on bradys nutsack (which quite frankly is saying alot).

Next year will be a true test. Lets see how well Martin does with Dinger and how well Dillon does without Weis.

Part of Hackett's dopey predictability was exactly that he slavishly handed off to Martin 20+ times a game and throw his way 8 other times.Game situation didn't seem to matter; if Jordan was hot, it made no difference. Martin;'s number got called way too often. And if you're as uncreative as Hackett, it's the easy choice. Especially so if your gamecalls are being looked at so harshly. It's hard to knock giving a HoFer and well-liked good guy 25+ touches every game.

So Hackett not being here, while it should make the jets more flexible and less predictable, doesn't necessarily make things (statistically) better for Martin;it figures to drop his numbers. Ask Eddie George about his last year with Dinger; dropped abour 2 carries a game and 300 total yards and wasn't getting those goaline TD runs either. In fact, the ball figures to touch alot more different hands every game rather than Martin as a back and receiver.

Put it this way-saw a USA Today Sports Weekly fantasy rank for RBs for 2005 and Martin, coming off leading the NFL and catching numerous passes, isn't in the top 10.

So Hackett not being here, while it should make the jets more flexible and less predictable, doesn't necessarily make things (statistically) better for Martin, In fact, the ball figures to touch alot more different hands every game rather than Martin as a back and receiver.

Bugg, very good point.

Martin can have a season 800-1,100 yards and the Jets offesnse will be much better than when he ran for 1,697 yards.

Thing is, there are 20 or more teams in the league that would give a nut for either of theses guys. They both show up to play and play hard. Both are seriously talented. There sn't a huge amount of difference when it comes to moving the football. To me (and i'm not being a Homer) the edge goes to C. Mart, simply because he elevates the team around him with his presence. Ask a rookie "apprentice" rb who he'd rather understudy, and you'd get C-Mart. People play harder for him because he leads by example and that's an intangible that no stat can measure.

it's popular to point out what martin does'nt play well in big games. depending on who's posting, you might be lead to believe the man's never played well in a big game in his life.

dillon's a good back, but he sure seems to be getting alot of mileage of a few good games. he did play in charlie weiss' O last year.

martin on the otherhand has played under paul "the dope" hackett. now if you want to tell me hackett gave martin the ball to much, i'll listen. but if you try & tell me that it did'nt flat work against him in "big games," you'll lose me. everybody & their momma knew (under hackett) if you stopped martin you would beat the jets. playoff quality D's could sell out up front without any fear of the jets going over the top. jimmy brown would have had a tough time under those conditions.

Now we may have a football discussion!! I agree

Hackett sucked Game plan wise and that can hurt

the whole offense including the Backs..Or in our

case the Back! I have always said Martin used along

with Jordan would have given us a better and more

unpredictable running attack!But all I got from the

Martinette's though was"Jordan can't carry Martins

jock!! I don't know if you were alive but go easy

on the Brown analogies..They had 11 men in the Box

and couldn't stop him!!LOL The old NFL was a running

League remember! I think with Dinger here he's going

to use ALL the backs at his disposal and use them to

the best advantage of the Offense and to their

individual strengths!! I'm sorry to see Lamont never

get his chance as a Jet but I'm excited to see our

new Guy Blaylock and Houston!!

no i'm not old enough to have watched brown, but between my dad & espn he was clearly as good as his rep. as far as jordan goes, i've felt for years it was a joke not to have them in the same backfield at least a handful of times a game. but i also thought the TE position should've be thrown to, as well as using the shotgun. but hackett is a dope, no more, no less. martin has one more big year in him, i can't wait to see what he & our O does under a real coordinator.

Savage,

I just sent you a PM with my mailing address.

Please make sure it is a money order and not a personal check.

Just let me know when you want me to start the "Hermy" thread.

TX

Archived