With Doug Brien in - Edinger wants out of Chicago

faba

Edinger wants no part of kick-off

May 13, 2005

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter Advertisement

Doug Brien joined the Bears' kicking derby Thursday, prompting Paul Edinger to ask out.

Edinger, a six-year veteran, was called in during the morning and told the Bears were signing Brien to join what the team has said will be an intense competition this summer. It's one Edinger no longer wants to be a part of as his agent officially sought his release before the day was out, saying Edinger and the Bears would be best served by fresh starts.

"I know the team has told me they just wanted competition,'' said Ken Harris, Edinger's agent. "But I don't particularly believe Doug Brien opted for Chicago over other possibilities for a competition.''

Brien was released by the New York Jets on April 28, five days after they used a second-round pick to select Ohio State's Mike Nugent, also represented by Harris. At about that same time, Harris petitioned the Bears for permission to seek a trade for Edinger, who has three years remaining on a five-year, $7 million contract. He's set to earn $1.1 million this season and was originally paid $1.6 million in bonus money.

The Bears, however, decided it would be best to choose between two veterans. Now, Edinger's camp questions how level the kicking field will be.

"Look at a class organization like the New York Jets,'' Harris said. "They did not even hesitate to let Brien go make a living somewhere else. That's something Brien, his family and his representation, I am sure, appreciate.

"When you're on the other side of the coin there, you appreciate what they did for Doug. [The Bears] have their competition, so when they tell you [Edinger is there] for competition, they're crazy. I do not think they would be adversely affected by giving him a chance to make a living somewhere else than waiting until September when it might shut him out.''

Angelo angered

General manager Jerry Angelo was irked by Harris' suggestions, saying it is what it appears to be on the surface: a full competition with undrafted free agents Tyler Jones of Boise State and Nick Novak of Maryland in the mix. Nick Setta, kicking in NFL Europe, isn't expected to be a factor.

"We're going out to create as much competition as we can,'' Angelo said. "Paul's making a lot of money, and in the interim, they asked about seeking a trade. We told them to go ahead and look. We paid Paul a lot of money. It's a process, and we have to let it run its course. We can't let him walk out.''

Brien, 34, joins his seventh organization as the 10th-most-accurate field-goal kicker in league history at 81.1 percent (minimum 100 attempts). He signed a one-year, $765,000 deal that will count only $455,000 against the salary cap as part of the minimum-salary benefit. He said the presence of four other kickers did not deter him, and he hit it off with coach Lovie Smith in conversations.

"There is always competition, whether there is a guy in camp with you or not,'' said Brien, who also drew interest from the Vikings and Titans. "If you don't perform, you won't have a job. My competition has always been with myself.''

Brien knows Edinger's situation, and while Harris said no decision has been made whether his client will continue to participate in the offseason program, as of now both are scheduled to kick in minicamp at Halas Hall starting next Friday.

"I don't know what's going to happen with that,'' Brien said. "Paul's a good guy, and I know he's done a good job for a number of years. It's difficult.''

The Jets wouldn't have shown Brien the door if he hadn't missed two potential game-winners in a playoff loss in Pittsburgh in January. Brien's 47-yard attempt with 1:58 remaining bounced off the crossbar, and a 43-yarder as time expired hooked left as the Steelers prevailed 20-17 in overtime. Brien was 10-for-11 from 40-49 yards during the season and is 17-for-19 from that distance the last two years.

Edinger struggles

Edinger held the Bears' all-time mark for accuracy at 77.9 before sputtering last season. His struggles have actually lasted for a year and a half as he has made only 25 of 43 kicks in his last 24 games. Smith has made no secret of his desire to upgrade the kicking situation because Edinger also has struggled with distance on his kickoffs. That's not an area Brien can add a lot of help in. The Jets used punter Toby Gowin to kick off almost exclusively last season.

"I think I did a pretty good job with it two years ago,'' Brien said. "You're not going to lead the league in touchbacks in New York.''

Edinger and his wife, Kristi, are expecting their first child soon, and he'd like a solid job somewhere else, sooner rather than later.

"It's going to be very difficult for this kid in September to put the same food on the table for his growing family,'' Harris said. "That's why the type of thing the Jets did rings home to me. We'd like the same courtesy.''

The Bears, meanwhile, are holding out hope that a market will come alive for cornerback R.W. McQuarters, whom they wish to part with and are shopping. They're also working to determine a course of action with linebacker Anthony Simmons, who visited Halas Hall on Wednesday. Simmons had left wrist surgery last season and is not expected to be ready until training camp, so it's not essential for him to be in the fold by minicamp.

The article lost all credibility right there.

Once the Jets drafted Nugent EVERYONE knew Brien was a goner- but there ones out there that were naive that thought we released Brien for his own good. Actually it was for his benefit to release him to try to find another job in the NFL ASAP

Archived