Latest NFL free agent list

faba

June 1 implications loom for hot-list players

By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 16, 2005) -- When the Hot List came out May 2, I'm sure most NFL fans thought, "What's the point of a list?" The draft is over, high-priced free agents have been acquired and the June 1 cuts aren't here yet, so who could be signed from this list?

Well, more players came off the hot list last week than in the previous two weeks because teams finished up their post-draft minicamps and realized there were some glaring needs on the roster.

Signed off the list last week were QB Tim Hasselbeck, RB Anthony Thomas, WR Ike Hilliard, OT Bob Whitfield, OT Victor Riley, OG Tupe Peko, C Rich Braham, and LBs Jay Foreman, Zeke Moreno, Nate Wayne, Chad Brown and Warrick Holdman.

As you can see, there was a run on linebackers. Not only was the hot list wiped out, but Peter Boulware joined the list of available players.

There are still a few positions with quality players waiting to be signed and the pressure of the impending June 1 cut looms over the men looking for work for months now.

The OTAs (organized team activities) are getting under way. It's a very important teaching time. Many of the principles and foundation of the offense and defense will be installed, so coaches want all the people who will compete for a roster spot in August to be at the sessions. I expect another 10 to 12 players to come off the Hot List in the next week or two, as well as the potential terminations for June 1 to become more obvious.

The business of football never takes any time off. Right now, many veterans on the "bubble" are considering playing for a reduced rate for their present club or face being shown the door in two weeks. Even the announcement by USC Trojans underclassman defensive tackle Manuel Wright to leave school for a supplemental draft adds pressure to the veteran players at his position. I have talked with two clubs considering Wright; they both mentioned they might hold off on adding a defensive tackle to they see where they stand with the 6-6, 295-pound youngster.

For the veterans waiting for a phone call since early March, it has become a tedious time in their lives. I talked with tight end Cameron Cleeland last week and asked him what he has been doing to stay ready for that all-important workout. He told me he is lifting weights three times a week, playing basketball twice a week and working at his private business to keep busy.

His routine is typical for a lot of the players on the list below as they wait to play the game they love so much. I asked one of the players on the Hot List what he thought of Terrell Owens holdout, and he just shook his head and said, "I wish I was in a position to feel $49 million wasn't enough money."

Right now, most of the players on the list are looking for the NFL minimum and some incentives. Of course players like Ty Law (if he's healthy) and Boulware probably will command deals more in line with the early stages of free agency, but even those guys have to look over their shoulder at the June 1 cuts.

The challenge for NFL front-office executives is how much bang they can get for their buck at this point in the offseason. For example, if R.W. McQuarters comes free in Chicago -- as is rumored -- is he a better value even though he might not be as good as Law? After all, McQuarters can return punts, is two years younger and started 14 games last year while Law was sidelined with injury. Neither man can be considered a long-term answer to a cornerback issue on a team.

In the past two seasons McQuarters has returned 81 punts at an 11-yard average and returned two for touchdowns. What if he doesn't come free in June and I pass on paying the extra money for Law now? How much of a drop-off is there in coverage with McQuarters on the field instead of Law? What could I do with the extra cap space and money saved by signing the cheaper player? Could I also sign an extra defensive tackle like Keith Traylor for my rotation up front? The point is: It is never merely about player versus player at this point in the offseason.

With all that in mind, here is what's left on the Hot List. Ask yourself if any of these players can help your team. Not sure what these men have done lately in pro football? Go to the top of this page, click on "Players" and look up their production in recent years.

So, once again, the clubs turn back to the available veteran free agents to complete their rosters fook and see if any of these veterans could help keep your team rolling toward the playoffs come next December:

Position 1 2 3 4 5

QB Jeff Blake Vinny Testaverde Kordell Stewart Quincy Carter Shaun King

RB Amos Zereoue Dorsey Levens Tyrone Wheatley Leonard Henry

FB Omar Easy Harold Morrow

WR Az-Zahir Hakim Tai Streets Troy Brown Freddie Mitchell Curtis Conway

TE Cam Cleeland Marcellus Rivers Zeron Flemister Chad Lewis ® Ken Dilger ®

OT Aaron Gibson Matt Willig Marcus Spears

OG Dan Neil Chris Terry Frank Middleton

C Brock Gutierrez Gennaro DiNapoli

DE Travis Hall Kenny Mixon Brad Scioli

DT Keith Traylor John Parrella Norman Hand

ILB Anthony Simmons

OLB Peter Boulware Kevin Hardy

S Brock Marion Eric Brown Cory Hall Shawn Wooden

CB Ty Law Terrell Buckley Roderick Babers Dewayne Washington

For the teams still looking for a wide receiver, the list is decent and could grow in the next few weeks. If a team still needs a safety, there's a possibility that need can be met. But if tight end is an issue, you might have to talk a player or two out of retirement. There's not too many names at the linebacker position, but the ones there still can play the game.

Archived