A Rod is the MAN

nj meadowlands

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As funny as it was, and it was funny, it is an unwritten rule. Even though we all know unwritten rules are broken seemingly every game. The Yankees needed a win, bottom line. But karma is a b#tch and if the same thing happens to Arod at 3rd base he's gonna have to eat it and not say a word.

Gibbons can go F himself, though. He probably wont even be the manager the next time the yankees and jays lockup.

It was a great move by Arod IMHO,,

Its used, sparingly, cause yo uget a rep and they ignore you,,

when I played 3rd, I would use the fake throw if the runner rounding second to third on a gap hit wasnt looking at the ball..

as he approached me, I would pretend my eyes were following a throw from outfielder and put my glove in a postion of getting ready to catch a throw. I would position myself at the 3rd base bag as if I was readying a slide tag,, You would be surprised how many slid, or most often, slowed down in a bewildered state to look around and blew their chance of scoring on the hit.

Was it a unwritten rule? Ya, but I figured if they were lazy enough or too stupid to follow the play, f them..

I'm not saying it's against the rules. I'm saying that it's bush. That's all.

I wouldn't do that in my co-ed softball league. But hey, I'm not getting paid 25 million dollars a year to be a professional, either.

When they figure out how to market those hot dog eating contests you might be making 25 million per year!

Co-Ed Softball. lol!

when I played 3rd, I would use the fake throw if the runner rounding second to third on a gap hit wasnt looking at the ball..

as he approached me, I would pretend my eyes were following a throw from outfielder and put my glove in a postion of getting ready to catch a throw. I would position myself at the 3rd base bag as if I was readying a slide tag,, You would be surprised how many slid, or most often, slowed down in a bewildered state to look around and blew their chance of scoring on the hit.

Was it a unwritten rule? Ya, but I figured if they were lazy enough or too stupid to follow the play, f them..

Little League now has a written rule that makes that stuff illegal. In the pros though, it is all fair game. How many times do you see the SS faking like he is about to turn 2 at 2nd base to slow the runner down, meanwhile the ball is in rightfield.

Little League now has a written rule that makes that stuff illegal. In the pros though, it is all fair game. How many times do you see the SS faking like he is about to turn 2 at 2nd base to slow the runner down, meanwhile the ball is in rightfield.

absolutely..

I used to use this in Babe Ruth, high school etc..

I did get in trouble for using this move in the IBM League though,, hey, old habits are hard to break :P

The guy was aghast. He literally didnt understand the concept of allusion to win the game. It wasnt sporting etc. Needless to say, my company league days were numbered.

absolutely..

I used to use this in Babe Ruth, high school etc..

I did get in trouble for using this move in the IBM League though,, hey, old habits are hard to break :P

The guy was aghast. He literally didnt understand the concept of allusion to win the game. It wasnt sporting etc. Needless to say, my company league days were numbered.

Same thing as an outfielder deking a runner that he is going to catch the ball when it is short.

It is gamesmanship.

When a catcher goes to an opposing team's dugout for a foulball, how many players are there to catch him from falling in?

You know what, the sport needs MORE of this.

There is too much fraternization in baseball as it is. These players are all to chummy chummy.

It never used to be like that. You hated the opponent. Everyone slid hard into second to break up the double play.

The reason they don't as much-The union has bound these guys. They are all making a pretty penny, don't upset the apple cart and get someone hurt. Your agent is my agent and we need to watch each other's back's.

Screw that.

oh yeah I've done that myself too. But thats not an unwritten rule, really. Its alittle different comparing that to what Arod did last night.

Outfielders pretending they are gonna catch a ball when they know they arent, thats fair game. Same with faking like the ball is coming to you at 2nd or 3rd base, thats fair game.

The bluejays 3rd baseman is a moron for falling for it, and thats why the jays got mad, because they got duped by Arod. But Arod probably should shut his mouth.

I'm not saying it's against the rules. I'm saying that it's bush. That's all.

I wouldn't do that in my co-ed softball league. But hey, I'm not getting paid 25 million dollars a year to be a professional, either.

Unwritten rules are for suckers that are dumb enough to follow them...

If its not a real rule, your a sucker, plain and simple. Do what it takes to win... Arod did that... and a player who should know his teamates voice fell for the trick... its not Arod fault he tricked an idiot.

Same thing as an outfielder deking a runner that he is going to catch the ball when it is short.

It is gamesmanship.

When a catcher goes to an opposing team's dugout for a foulball, how many players are there to catch him from falling in?

So your position is that what A-Rod did is fine?

I really hope this happens to the Yankees this season just so I can watch how their fans react. That will be worth coming to the baseball forum again.

Arod says it happens to him all the time, but like a true pro he doesnt fall for playground tricks... and if he did Im sure especially now he wouldnt bitch and moan about it.

We should come to expect these sort of things from A-Rod. He was obviously brought up to play baseball much differently than everyone else. Where slapping the ball away is okay. Where shouting at opposing players while trying to field the ball is just fine. And where throwing unnecessary elbows against 5'6'' 170lb. second baseman is commonplace.

Hey, but desperate times call for Bush League measures.

Oh Barton, btw, you can stick around. Just don't start getting too crazy. And agree with everything I say. :)

I don't have a problem with it.

Not very different than the hidden ball trick.

The Jays should as major leaguers be embarrassed they fell for a schoolboy distraction and as a result didn't catch a popup. Catch the ball!

Putting his peroxided blonde 38DD girlie pal in a sheer diving neckline tanktop in the front row would've been a genuine unfair distraction.

I really hope this happens to the Yankees this season just so I can watch how their fans react. That will be worth coming to the baseball forum again.

If it happens then it happens no big deal.

My theory is that the Blue Jays are just angry because they looked like little leaguers on that play. What A-Rod did sounds like a pretty common occurrence and he just made the Blue Jays look f*cking stupid.

We should come to expect these sort of things from A-Rod. He was obviously brought up to play baseball much differently than everyone else. Where slapping the ball away is okay. Where shouting at opposing players while trying to field the ball is just fine. And where throwing unnecessary elbows against 5'6'' 170lb. second baseman is commonplace.

Hey, but desperate times call for Bush League measures.

Oh Barton, btw, you can stick around. Just don't start getting too crazy. And agree with everything I say. :)

cry.JPG

Arod says it happens to him all the time, but like a true pro he doesnt fall for playground tricks... and if he did Im sure especially now he wouldnt bitch and moan about it.

I'm not talking about the players. I guarantee if this happened in a Sox/Yankees game and it led to the Sox scoring 3 runs, you guys would be drowning in eachothers tears.

I'm not talking about the players. I guarantee if this happened in a Sox/Yankees game and it led to the Sox scoring 3 runs, you guys would be drowning in eachothers tears.

Alk I think you are lost. The Lounge is four forums up. :P

Better clean that mouse.

The Jays should as major leaguers be embarrassed they fell for a schoolboy distraction and as a result didn't catch a popup. Catch the ball!

Excellent point.

I actually am OK with what A-Rod did here, mostly because I think personal accountability is something that is lost in all walks of life these days, even in Major League Baseball. So when a guy drops a fly ball and tries to blame the opposition for "messing with him", he should not expect sympathy.

LOL. You were probably one of the guys crying about that "dirty play" he made against Pedroia or whoever the hell it was.

I cannot help it he can not execute a play a 12yo can.

Ron Darling had the correct take during tonights Met game. Said if ARod did that against his 86 Met team there would not have been any controversy as Met 3rd baseman Ray Knight would have knocked ARod out. Went on to say Giambi would have been drilled with the next pitch as well.

Ron Darling had the correct take during tonights Met game. Said if ARod did that against his 86 Met team there would not have been any controversy as Met 3rd baseman Ray Knight would have knocked ARod out. Went on to say Giambi would have been drilled with the next pitch as well.
If the '86 Mets were the atomic manly supermen Darling would have you believe, why didn't they win more than one championship?

I'm sorry-I forgot-COCAINE.

If the '86 Mets were the atomic manly supermen Darling would have you beleive, why didn't they win more than one championship?

I'm sorry-I forgot-COCAINE.

Yep unfotunately our two best players Straw and Doc fell to the NY night life. Doesn't mean vets like Knight wouldn't have ensured ARod realized you don't play the game like that.

You can't bad talk A-rod for what he did, these kinds of things are done ALL the time, it's just that no real pro is dumb enough to fall for that.

In football, D-lineman twitch and scream out to mimmick the snap count to make lineman jump, going "HIKE!" it doesn't really work, but it's done.

In basketball, players on the opposite team clap like they are calling for the ball towards opposing players when they are trying to catch a rookie off his game.

in baseball, this stuff is done all the time, this was just one of the first players bad enough to fall for it.

You can't bad talk A-rod for what he did, these kinds of things are done ALL the time, it's just that no real pro is dumb enough to fall for that.

In football, D-lineman twitch and scream out to mimmick the snap count to make lineman jump, going "HIKE!" it doesn't really work, but it's done.

In basketball, players on the opposite team clap like they are calling for the ball towards opposing players when they are trying to catch a rookie off his game.

in baseball, this stuff is done all the time, this was just one of the first players bad enough to fall for it.

Footballs smart enough to have that has a penalty.

Archived