Yankees now LESS than 10 games behing the RedSox... how long until they catch up?

ECURB

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He sucks. One game against a crappy NL lineup doesn't change that.

Right. So the games like Texas, Anaheim, Toronto, Minnesota they don't all count either. And last I checked any lineup featuring Todd Helton, Matt Holliday, Brad Hawpe etc isn't all that crappy.

Come on Mike, you're usually better than this.

Right. So the games like Texas, Anaheim, Toronto, Minnesota they don't all count either. And last I checked any lineup featuring Todd Helton, Matt Holliday, Brad Hawpe etc isn't all that crappy.

Come on Mike, you're usually better than this.

When his ERA was in the 1's I told you it would settle somwhere in the high 4's didn't I? And it will.

When his ERA was in the 1's I told you it would settle somwhere in the high 4's didn't I? And it will.

Which is pretty solid for a #4 starter. I don't know what your point is. You say he sucks, but his ERA is right about average for a 4th starter, so therfore not only is he doing his job but exceeding expectations. I know you Yankees fans don't know much about that.

Which is pretty solid for a #4 starter. I don't know what your point is. You say he sucks, but his ERA is right about average for a 4th starter, so therfore not only is he doing his job but exceeding expectations. I know you Yankees fans don't know much about that.

Don't lump all Yankee fans together. There are major differences of opinions among us.;)

The problem with players playing much better than their career numbers show at 40 is that you know it won't last. Boston has a lot of players doing that.

The problem with players playing much better than their career numbers show at 40 is that you know it won't last. Boston has a lot of players doing that.

I know it won't last why? Because you told me? There is no reason to believe that the Red Sox players playing well right now cannot keep it up. I guess since Manny is 35 we should be concerned about his play right now too, right? :yawn:

I know it won't last why? Because you told me? There is no reason to believe that the Red Sox players playing well right now cannot keep it up. I guess since Manny is 35 we should be concerned about his play right now too, right? :yawn:

Because players don't drastically improve at that age. Manny could decline and still be a great player. It's an awful comparison.

Because they haven't kept it up in the past decade... thats a pretty easy guess to figure they wont keep it up again this year...

Because they haven't kept it up in the past decade... thats a pretty easy guess to figure they wont keep it up again this year...

Who hasn't kept it up? I think you're talking wholistically while we're talking indiviually.

And Madmike.. players don't improve at that age yet they are. So you really don't have a sound argument here.

And Madmike.. players don't improve at that age yet they are. So you really don't have a sound argument here.

Temporary better performances is not the same thing as permanent improvement. Players play to their career norms the VAST majority of the time. And older players don't improve at anywhere near the level wakefield had earlier in the year.

Temporary better performances is not the same thing as permanent improvement. Players play to their career norms the VAST majority of the time. And older players don't improve at anywhere near the level wakefield had earlier in the year.

I don't think Wakefield is a good example as he's a knuckleballer. He can have a terrible year and then a great year. Knuckleballers don't really have "career norms."

I don't think Wakefield is a good example as he's a knuckleballer. He can have a terrible year and then a great year. Knuckleballers don't really have "career norms."

Only a dumbass who doesn't take into account adjusted ERA+30 and zone range factor would think that. :P

I think his deviations IN SEASON will probably be wider than normal pitchers but at the end of the season he'll pitch to his career norms just like anyone else.

If ARod wins his 2nd MVP(in 3 seasons) as a Yank it will be interesting if the FO caves to the demands Boras will make.

I say the Yanks have to pay him.....he's that good.

He has finally mastered the NY spotlight, it seems. But it will be October results that count. Again.

He has finally mastered the NY spotlight, it seems. But it will be October results that count. Again.

Arod has been on fire this season. No doubt about that.

I agree with you mate. Arod needs to get it done in September and, more importantly, October.

Yeah, but as Gain said, knuckleballers are different cats altogether.

If Schil goes out there, I have a reasonable expectation of what I am going to get. I have watched Wake for 13 years and I have no idea what he will do from start to start.

Where as Schill starts probably fall into a normal distribution (68% within 1 standard deviation). Wake is not like this. He is probably brilliant and atrocious more across the board then a normal distribution.

Maybe. But if they go into slumps there's really no one else that can pick them up imo.

The same was true when Abreu, Cano and ARod were struggling at the start of May.

I see no distinct advantage to the Bombers lineup compared to the Sox. Both have basically the same stats and that is only in large part due to ARod having a great year and Posada playing over his head.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/stats/teamsort/regularseason/yearly/AL/HIT/BASIC?&_1:col_1=10

The same was true when Abreu, Cano and ARod were struggling at the start of May.

I see no distinct advantage to the Bombers lineup compared to the Sox. Both have basically the same stats and that is only in large part due to ARod having a great year and Posada playing over his head.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/stats/teamsort/regularseason/yearly/AL/HIT/BASIC?&_1:col_1=10

And Lowell isnt playing over his head?

Crisp and Lugo flat out suck. There's the difference between the 2 lineups. The Yankees have only 1 flat out sucky hitter, Cairo/Mientkiwicz. And unlike the sox, the Yankees can improve at 1st base with a trade. The sox are stuck with Lugo at SS for at least this season.

BTW, a 21 run difference in just 64 games is....ALOT.

Boston has 3-4 good hitters. The yankees have 6. there is a BIG difference between the lineups.

Yeah, but as Gain said, knuckleballers are different cats altogether.

If Schil goes out there, I have a reasonable expectation of what I am going to get. I have watched Wake for 13 years and I have no idea what he will do from start to start.

Where as Schill starts probably fall into a normal distribution (68% within 1 standard deviation). Wake is not like this. He is probably brilliant and atrocious more across the board then a normal distribution.

Wakefield has said that he himself has no idea from pitch-to-pitch of what will happen.;)

That's fine. I'll take the Sox pitching over the Yankees. That includes bullpen, closer, and rotation.

Thats fine too. I honestly think the rotations are pretty even. Boston most definitely has the advantage in the pen. Mo and Papelbon are even though.

Archived