GJ&H's #1 Dark Horse to make this team

Green Jets & Ham

Ham, Why do you see him making it now? After not doing much in college and 3 years in the Arena league, what makes you think he's ready to emerge at this point in time?

I watched him in NFLE this year ... saw a couple of Games ... scouted him for myself and keyed on him every snap {since I could care less about the Game} ... and I came away very impressed with McGill

In short, this cat is a friggin load ... tough to budge ... and he is getting doubled like crazy in that league, but they still can't budge his massive frame

I would say that on AT LEAST 50% of the snaps he was being double ... AT LEAST ... probably closer to 75% ... and they are NOT knocking this man back an inch

Pretty Quick too, for such a huge man

Not sure which, but we don't need three undersized DT's {Legree, Harper and Reed} ... we need to toss one bona-fide backup NT into the mix ... so he's beating one of them IMO

If this holds true, it would have to be Harper, wouldn't it? Reed actually got snaps last year and Legree is a Marcin favorite.

Actually Harper surpassed Reed on the depth chart by mid-season last year ... and down the stretch {and in the playoffs} it was HARPER and NOT REED who was being rotated in on occasion ... and Harper acquitted himself very well

That's why the Jets initially RE-SIGNED HARPER and NOT REED earlier in the off-season ... it was only after we lost fergy {and before we drafted Pouha} that the Jets decided to bring back Reed, but IMO that was more of a safety valve move

So if I were a betting man, I would bet that Reed is behind Harper even now

Here's how I'm reading this battle, barring injuries

If we keep 5 DT's

Robertson

Pouha

Legree

McGill

Harper

If we keep 4 DT's

Robertson

Pouha

Legree

McGill and Harper battle for the last spot

IMO the only way Reed sticks is if we get hit with an injury

That's too bad, I kinda like Reed - he's versitile.

Me?I'm rooting for Alan Harper-I just like those guys that go the extra mile and play their asses off in NFLE and then come back to camp a month later.It paid off for AH last year(and there is some kind of roster exemption if you DO play "over there"for 2 years)and just may pay off for McGill the same way.James Reed is servicible at best-never has really done much and HAS gotten his chances.Does anyone know the rule with not being able to cut allotted players?

Production.

When are we going to stop pretending that hapless players are suddenly on the verge of stardom, when they are merely mediocre?

Production.

I will not beleive in a player until I've seen him Produce.

Jason Ferguson was a late-round "maybe" player. Then he produced. Statistically better than D-Rob.

Tom Brady was a nobody. Then, Production.

J-Mac, B. Thomas--potential players. That still have not shown any worthwhile Production.

Wayne Chrebet...longest of long shots. Then...Production. Enough to crack the Jets record book.

This guy (even with Ham's backing) smacks of failure.

The difference between science and religion is honesty. And honestly, McGill is McGone come August. Let us now pray to Sione Pouha. He, at least, hasn't failed miserably in the Arena League.

Me?I'm rooting for Alan Harper-I just like those guys that go the extra mile and play their asses off in NFLE and then come back to camp a month later.It paid off for AH last year(and there is some kind of roster exemption if you DO play "over there"for 2 years)and just may pay off for McGill the same way.James Reed is servicible at best-never has really done much and HAS gotten his chances.Does anyone know the rule with not being able to cut allotted players?

In Spot Play Reed has 3 sacks in the last 2 years!

Playing Full time Drob has 4.5..Reed is better then

just serviceable..I'd like to see AH get better also

but Reed for a 7th rd pick is the better player!

• 1 month later...
DT Tim McGill

6' 2" - 330

Hamburg Sea Devils

mcgill_tim300.jpg

I hate to say I told you so, but ... I told you so 8)

NFL.com - Adam Schefter

When the Jets lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys, they signed former Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree. But the defensive tackle that has most surprised the Jets this offseason, the one vying for Ferguson's playing time, is All-NFL Europe defensive tackle Tim McGill, a former practice-squad player.

Most NFL teams weren't aware of McGill because he flunked out of Illinois and then went on to bounce around the Arena League. But this offseason McGill has caught the entire organization's attention. It started when the Jets allocated McGill to Hamburg, and the 6-foot-2, 330-pound defensive tackle tore it up. He played so well that the Jets now envision McGill competing to become a regular part of their defensive-line rotation.

Tim McGill isn't going to making the team, you guys are fools.

We'll see.

Our DTs aside from DRob, aren't exactly proven and good yet.

I love James Reed, some games last year he was our most disruptive DT, IMHO.

Sione Pouha is big and can move, but he has durability and endurance issues as well as being a rookie, he also has motivational issues

Legree might surprise us, but he's a swingman backup at best right now.

NFL.com - Adam Schefter

When the Jets lost defensive tackle Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys, they signed former Giants defensive tackle Lance Legree. But the defensive tackle that has most surprised the Jets this offseason, the one vying for Ferguson's playing time, is All-NFL Europe defensive tackle Tim McGill, a former practice-squad player.

Most NFL teams weren't aware of McGill because he flunked out of Illinois and then went on to bounce around the Arena League. But this offseason McGill has caught the entire organization's attention. It started when the Jets allocated McGill to Hamburg, and the 6-foot-2, 330-pound defensive tackle tore it up. He played so well that the Jets now envision McGill competing to become a regular part of their defensive-line rotation.

Don't sleep on McGilla Gorilla 8)

Robertson

Legree

Reed

Pouha

Where's the room for McGill?

Bottom Line

If McGill plays well enough, like he did in NFL Europe....trust me, the Jets will find room for him.

Just look at my thread about prediciting the Jets roster. There are ways to make room for McGill.

BTW, James Reed is no lock to return. For some reason, I think the Jets like Alan Harper better and didn't resign Reed until Josh Evans retired.

Robertson

Legree

Reed

Pouha

Where's the room for McGill?

EB is correct, some fans clearly think more highly of Reed than the organization ... when they had to choose between Haper and Reed {before losing fergy}, the Jets chose to re-sign Harper and cut-bait with Reed

It was only AFTER we lost fergy that Reed was brought back, but then we drafted Pouha ... and now McGill has emerged as a player as well

MY BEST GUESS on which DT's make the team

D-Rob

Pouha

Legree

McGill

Harper

I believe we will keep 5 DT's because Legree is more of a DT/DE swing-man

So it's really like keeping four DE's {Abe, Ellis, BT and Johnson}, four DT's {D-Rob, Pouha, McGill and Harper}, and one DT/DE swing-man {Legree} ... 9 D-Linemen in total

JMO

You'd have to be INSANE to think we can go into next season with just 4 DT's on the roster. We don't have a bonafide starter besides Robertson, so we'll need to have plenty of quality depth to make up for that. We need Robertson and 4 different guys that we can plug in in different situations or to simply be on the roster in case of an injury.

I think Ham is right, and McGill will solidify the DT corps by taking up the 5th spot. Pouha may be a mountain of a man, but he is far too big of a risk for the Jets to count on him as the nose tackle. McGill gives us a second option.

Archived