Jets | Rhodes Turning Heads

Smizzy

Jets | Rhodes Turning Heads - from www.KFFL.com

Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:04:45 -0700

Rich Cimini, writing for the Sporting News, reports New York Jets rookie FS Kerry Rhodes has been turning heads at the team's organized team activities. The knock on him is whether he's physical enough, and he won't get a chance to prove that until the pads go on in training camp. If he excels in training camp he'll be competing for a starting spot with the club.

Well we traded up 4 spots and a draft pick to get this guy didn't we? So he damn well better do something like Erik Coleman. Coleman and Rhodes, nice young core, no? McGraw covering the TE, perfect.

I can never understand how a pro athlete can't handle physical contact. Taking a hit is as fundamentally simple as it gets. I still can't handle the Charles Smith's and the Allan Houston's of the world. What the Jets should do is tape this guy to a goalpost and let his teammates go Full Metal Jacket on him with bars of soap wrapped in dishtowels, just whipping the crap out of him. That'll toughen a dude up.

I can never understand how a pro athlete can't handle physical contact. Taking a hit is as fundamentally simple as it gets. I still can't handle the Charles Smith's and the Allan Houston's of the world. What the Jets should do is tape this guy to a goalpost and let his teammates go Full Metal Jacket on him with bars of soap wrapped in dishtowels, just whipping the crap out of him. That'll toughen a dude up.

That won't work. I tried that approach on my wife after the pasta she made wasn't al dente. It did not help her pasta cooking skills and She took all my money in court. She was able to occasionally get it right unlike Chef Boyardee which I am forced to eat now.

OK. The knock on Rhodes is well that he can't knock/hit hard/tackle well consistently...........YET foxsports.com compares him to STEVE ATWATER??? Steve Atwater was 1 of the hardest hitting safeties the NFL has ever seen

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=20

Rookie FS Kerry Rhodes, a fourth-round pick, is turning heads in the organized team activities. At 6-2, 210, he looks like a young Steve Atwater. He shows terrific range, able to play in a deep-halves scheme. The knock on him is whether he's physical enough, and he won't get a chance to prove that until the pads go on in training camp. The Jets aren't afraid to play rookies (see MLB Jonathan Vilma and S Erik Coleman last season), and if Rhodes develops as quickly as those two did, he could be paired with Coleman in the starting secondary.

SCOUTING REPORT: LG Pete Kendall, a key acquisition last preseason after being released by the Cardinals, is smart, tough and steady. Not the biggest interior lineman around, Kendall relies on textbook technique to win his matchups. He played through some minor injuries last season, including a broken toe, and he feels refreshed after having time to rest. He also can play center, a great insurance policy if something ever happens to Kevin Mawae.

IMPACT NEWCOMER: He's ba-a-a-a-ck. Two years after losing WR Laveranues Coles to the Redskins in a free-agent raid, the Jets re-acquired him by trading fellow wideout Santana Moss in a straight-up deal. Coles is a fearless receiver who should bring a physical dimension to the offense. He's only 5-11, but he plays bigger than that. His return immediately adds to Chad Pennington's comfort level, and the quarterback, coming off shoulder surgery, needs as much comfort as he can find. Pennington started to develop a special rapport with Coles in 2002, then saw his go-to receiver ripped away from him. The one concern about Coles is a chronic toe injury, but Coles looked fine in a recent minicamp.

GUARDS/CENTERS ANALYSIS: Grade: B. C Kevin Mawae still is one of the best, and he's surrounded by an old pro (Pete Kendall) and an up-and-comer (Brandon Moore).

The Jets aren't afraid to play rookies (see MLB Jonathan Vilma and S Erik Coleman last season), and if Rhodes develops as quickly as those two did, he could be paired with Coleman in the starting secondary.

i'll believe that when i see it. last year all we heard was gameday this, and gameday that, and where is gameday now? flipping burgers.

safety should be an interesting battle in camp - if mcglass can stay healthy he should start alongside coleman. but when mcglass pulls his vagina washington, rhodes, and tongue should all compete. watch out for washington, i think he will surprise some people this year.

TS, Didn't you play Private Joker? :wink:

Archived