NFL Europe championship game this weekend

faba

27 NFL teams represented at World Bowl

June 7, 2005

NFL Europe

Jonathan Smith is one of six Kansas City Chiefs participating in World Bowl. (waynepaulo.com)

Players from a total of 27 NFL teams will compete for glory in Yello Strom World Bowl XIII this weekend.

In a season when a record 271 NFL players were allocated to the NFL Europe League, 59 members of the two active rosters are from NFL teams.

For the second year in a row, the Kansas City Chiefs lead the way with six players set to star in the big game, including key performers in running Jonathan Smith (Admirals), safety Scott Connot (Admirals) and linebacker Rich Scanlon (Thunder).

Smith rushed for a team-leading 711 yards to rank third in the NFLEL in 2005, sharing carries in a backfield partnership with Tennesee Titans allocated player Jarrett Payton.

Safety Connot was a defensive star, recording 66 tackles, 4 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 10 pass defenses.

Scanlon led NFL Europe with 94 tackles and had 3 sacks and 5 pass defenses. He also led his team in stops in every game of the season.

Faba, our players of the year in NFLe (will do this after the finals) are as follows:

Defense POY: Rich Scanlon, LB, Kansas City--He's from Syracuse, I remember telling TS he'd be a player (even if it's just as a #4 LB)....He's the best linebacker in the league, by far.

Runner up: Scott Connot, S, Kansas City--Like Scanlon, he actually made the Chiefs in 2004. He's a 6'5", 225 pound safety (4.5 speed)....give the Cheifs credit, they allocate legit prospects, unlike most NFL teams.

Offense Co-POY: Ruvell Martin, WR, Chargers--Tall, WR, 12 TD's...18.4 yard average for Amsterdam..22 years old, from Saginaw Valley State, watch out for him, he looks legit--should be an backup, at least, who specializes in the red-zone, at 6'4".

co-POY: Dave Ragone, QB, Houston-- No suprise here...He'll have a long NFL career.

Faba, our players of the year in NFLe (will do this after the finals) are as follows:

Defense POY: Rich Scanlon, LB, Kansas City--He's from Syracuse, I remember telling TS he'd be a player (even if it's just as a #4 LB)....He's the best player in the league, by far.

Runner up: Scott Connot, S, Kansas City--Like Scanlon, he actually made the Chiefs in 2004. He's a 6'5", 225 pound safety (4.5 speed)....give the Cheifs credit, they allocate legit prospects, unlike most NFL teams.

Offense Co-POY: Ruvell Martin, WR, Chargers--Tall, WR, 12 TD's...18.4 yard average for Amsterdam..22 years old, from Saginaw Valley State, watch out for him, he looks legit--should be an backup, at least, who specializes in the red-zone, at 6'4".

co-POY: Dave Ragone, QB, Houston-- No suprise here...He'll have a long NFL career.

Player of the year Special Teams: Todd France, PK, Tampa Bay--Have the Bucs stumpled upon the next Vinatieri or Akers in France?

Aaron Boone, WR, Carolina: Led in NFLe in special teams tackles, and RECEPTIONS....Figure with his kick coverage skills, he'll make the Panthers as a #5 WR, or so.

Defense POY: Rich Scanlon, LB, Kansas City--He's from Syracuse, I remember telling TS he'd be a player (even if it's just as a #4 LB)....He's the best linebacker in the league, by far.

R44 Ragone is behind Carr- he right now has no future there to start- surprised some team did not try to get him from Texans

You are correct faba, he won't likely displace Carr--barring an injury. Perhaps the European vaction for Ragone had more to do with "showing him off" to othe NFL teams for the next off-season...trade-bait right before he's a free agent?

For now, expect him back in Houston--perhaps bumped up to #2 QB.

NFLe QB'ing was average to poor during this most recent completed season, with Ragone being the only player to really standout at the position.

The next best, stats wise, was Kevin Eakin, who will have a tough time convincing Herm and Bradway that he should make the 53 man roster--Chad and Fiedler are locks to make the Jets, so he's even a longshot for #3 QB.

The next best, stats wise, was Kevin Eakin, who will have a tough time convincing Herm and Bradway that he should make the 53 man roster--Chad and Fiedler are locks to make the Jets, so he's even a longshot for #3 QB.

What kind of numbers did Eakin put up R44? Cimini seemed to think he could push Bollinger in training camp, but I'd be interested to see what you thought of him.

You are correct faba, he won't likely displace Carr--barring an injury. Perhaps the European vaction for Ragone had more to do with "showing him off" to othe NFL teams for the next off-season...trade-bait right before he's a free agent?

For now, expect him back in Houston--perhaps bumped up to #2 QB.

Good call here Riggs (and faba) on Ragone.

I definitely think Ragone replaces Tony Banks as the #2 this season.

Too bad he is sitting behind Carr.

B-Label, thanks. I haven't seen Frankfurt play this season, but the reports on Eakin are excellent. Considering he played at Fordham (low level D1-AA), he is the ultimate "longshot"....But the reports are so positive, he might just make it. Warning: He's small, barely 6'1" or shorter.

He was ranked 2nd among NFLe QB's....Took out former #1 pick Akili Smith and seized the QB job fulltime.

Att/180

Comp 105

Pct Comp 58.3%

Yds 1,299

TD's 11

Int's 5

Tex, Houston allocated both Ragone and B.J Symons of Texas Tech, Symons did little.

I agree, Texans need to get Ragone ready....I know someone who's stepson is a NFL player and Ragone's good friend---Ragone was devasted on draft day, when Houston jumped in front of Pittsburgh to pick him. Dave really wanted to play in Pitt--I bet the Steelers aren't complaining with their QB, however....Nontheless, Houston is a bad spot for him now, with Carr.

Archived