Bruschi stays out of Pats mini-camp

faba

Bruschi sits this one out: LB has eye on future

By Michael Felger

Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - Updated: 07:21 AM EST

Tedy Bruschi may not be on the field this weekend when the Patriots [stats, news] hold their only mandatory on-field camp of the offseason, but that doesn't change the big picture.

The linebacker's status for 2005 remains very much up in the air.

Bruschi, who suffered a mild stroke Feb. 16 and reportedly underwent a procedure to repair a hole in his heart in March, is not expected to take part in the minicamp. While the veteran inside linebacker has been cleared by doctors to work out at Gillette Stadium, Bruschi was not actively involved in the recent full-squad passing camp, and that's not expected to change when practices resume tomorrow in Foxboro.

However, sources say Bruschi's level of participation this weekend should not be taken as a harbinger of his plans for this year. As Bruschi said two weeks ago, he is taking his time with his decision. Nothing has to be officially determined until training camp begins in late July, which is when the Pats will have to include Bruschi on the 80-man roster or put him on a non-football injury list or preseason physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

Bruschi's condition is said to have steadily improved, and sources say that he continues to weigh all of his options, including playing this year. Most importantly, doctors have not categorically ruled out a return to football for Bruschi, who turns 32 tomorrow.

Bruschi's agent, Brad Black, declined comment.

One thing is for certain: The Pats have covered themselves while Bruschi contemplates his future. Whatever happens, they'll be well-stocked at inside linebacker in 2005 - and this weekend will provide the media (the practices are not open to the public) their first glimpse at the Pats' revamped lineup.

The marquee free agent signing came the second week of May, when the Pats inked Chad Brown. The Pats outmaneuvered at least three teams to land the three-time Pro Bowler, so Brown figures to play a prominent role in the defense this year regardless of Bruschi's status.

Brown's signing came three weeks after the Pats made their initial move by landing Monty Beisel. While Beisel was a situational player with Kansas City, he has the frame to play at 250 pounds and start next to Ted Johnson [news] in the 3-4. And at 26, Beisel projects as the future.

F*cking ridiculous, btw. Chad Brown is "marquee free agent signing"? How Pats-ass-kissy is that article exactly? Brown hasn't been healthy in 5 seasons and has absolutely sucked when he HAS decided to play. But the Pats sign him, so he's "marquee." Gosh, I guess he'll pair with Monty Beisel to erase all memory of Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks forever. Insane.

btw, doesn't Bruschi have a whole in his heart?

Brown hasn't been healthy in 5 seasons and has absolutely sucked when he HAS decided to play. But the Pats sign him, so he's "marquee."

The Pats need to get their act together and start signing real "marquee" players like the Jets when the signed Curtis Conway and Reggie Tongue.

F*cking ridiculous, btw. Chad Brown is "marquee free agent signing"? How Pats-a$$-kissy is that article exactly? Brown hasn't been healthy in 5 seasons and has absolutely sucked when he HAS decided to play. But the Pats sign him, so he's "marquee." Gosh, I guess he'll pair with Monty Beisel to erase all memory of Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks forever. Insane.

btw, doesn't Bruschi have a whole in his heart?

That and the 14 pro bowl caliber free agent safties and corners they signed.

Tom don't you get it. The Pats do no wrong.

No, he had an operation in early March to fix that.

Can you actually "fix" that so that he can play professional football again? Sounds major dicey to me, especially considering how hard Bruschi plays. He's a heart attack waiting to happen regularly.

Can you actually "fix" that so that he can play professional football again? Sounds major dicey to me, especially considering how hard Bruschi plays. He's a heart attack waiting to happen regularly.

From everything I have read, the operation to fix a hole in the heart is pretty common and easily fixable.

That's not the point however. Bruschi had a friggn' stroke!

That deals with all those thig-a-ma-gig vessels in your brain.

I'm no rocket scientist, but common sense tells me you DON'T put a friggn' helmut on and use your head as a battering ram after you had a friggn' stroke. :shock::shock:

He has nothing left to prove.

The risk far outweighs the reward.

Hang 'um up Tedy, you had a great run. =D>=D>

Archived