Transcript for the 6/8 Rich Cimini Chat!

TomShane

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey max

how did you reach Cimini in the 1st place? seriously

I mean, did you see him on the street and say "hey wanna be guest at my website and do an online chat ya ya ya"

We go to the same barbershop. Vito set it up for us.

PS. Congrats on getting Cimini for the chat ... awesome job, Max ... I only regret that I missed it because as the transcript shows, it was absolutely a success! =D>

Thanks Ham! Tom and I do alright here. Considering we are working with limited IQs and all! :mrgreen:

[RichCimini] 7:30 pm: The man [Herm Edwards] has made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years; that immediately commands respect. I think he still has a rep for being a "soft" coach. His clock management problems are widely known. But he's a very popular coach. Heck, even belichick likes him a lot.

Of course Belicheck loves him. Herm has blown it in 5 of the last 6 meetings between the two!!

Ham....I dealt with Rich Cimini in order to set this thing up. Let me say this...the man never asked what kind of questions we were going to ask. He made it clear that he would answer anything and he did.

He is a stand up guy.

Sorry, but I can't agree. I asked him last year via email why he went off on a tirade about "it's a privilege" and received ONLY snotty replies back from him when I was cordial, believe it or not.

RichCimini] 7:09 pm: Oh, boy, I knew that was coming. First of all, I think that whole Chad incident got blown way out of proportion. Yes, it's newsworthy when a QB doesn't take questions after a game, especially a great game, but the story got way too much play. Part of that was Chad's fault, and I think he admitted he handled it poorly. As for

the "priveleges" piece, I was just trying to be funny, I really was. Obviously, some people didn't "get" my sarcasm. Believe me, I do appreciate my job.

[RichCimini] 7:09 pm: I realize Im lucky to be doing what I'm doing. I never meant to stir it up with that piece. I just wanted to make light of a situation that I think had gotten a little out of control.

BS, and I have an email to prove it!

----- Original Message -----
To: aec4
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: "It's a privilege"

Just for the record, only the columnists have an email address published in the paper. I'm a beat writer. If you think you can do it better, send in a resume.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed 12/22/2004 9:35 AM
To: Cimini, Rich
Subject: "It's a privilege"

My initial response to you was going to be, "What, are you 12 years old?" You may not like how Pennington acted; you may say it was childish, but does that give you the right to do the same exact thing? It sure does sound like it with your little "it's a privilege" tirade.

You are doing a job that 90% of us Jets fans would LOVE to do. I probably make more than you do, but I'd be willing to take the pay cut to do your job instead. Heck, I'd be willing to do your job for expenses only. I'd absolutely love it. It would be a privilege and I'd have to pinch myself daily to make sure it's real. I wouldn't complain about ANY of the things you complained about in your tirade. Furthermore, I doubt all of them would happen because I would treat the players with respect, and not take every opportunity I can to make things up and/or chastise the players.

The fact that you are still talking about this on Wednesday morning is pathetic. Finally, an athlete gave you a taste of your own medicine and you didn't like it. Too bad! I say it's about time. I don't know how reporters feel they can treat people disrespectfully all the time, and when it's done to them once, they bitch about it for days on end.

We can debate all day on whether or not Chad Pennington was right. If I was him, I probably would have answered a few questions, but as soon as it got back to the way it was the week prior (big game crap, which he has won at least 4 by my count), I would have ended the session and walked away. That would have been the last you saw of me for the season.

Chad decided to take a different route. I don't have any problems with it, because something HAD to be done. I stopped reading the papers the Wednesday before the Seattle game because you guys insisted on ripping Chad each and every day. I think it's OK to write 1 article about his struggle in the 2004 big games, but every day? It's like beating my head with a stick daily. It's not necessary, and I am sure it's personal after a while.

I must admit, your articles have been my least favorite over the last couple years. They are the most inaccurate of any one of your colleagues. You do have a tendency to use the typical journalist, "an unnamed source within the organization" a lot. To me, I read that is, "Here comes something I am about to make up to give MY PERSONAL OPINION some credibility."

The last time I checked, journalists are supposed to be unbiased. Pennington was 100% on the money when he said that you guys need to be objective, and not subjective. Don't you find it interesting that Pennington singled you out by name? I do. It shows the players KNOW who the real problems are.

I also find it very interesting that you are unwilling to take the heat and publish your email address. All of your colleagues do. I've emailed with Vic Ziegal before. I may not agree with anything he has to say either, but at least he's willing to face the customer and justify his position. I give him credit for that. At least he has a backbone.

You should be embarrassed that you have lost all journalistic integrity. If a player had lost his skills to this degree, we'd be asking him to retire, or the team to cut him. I think it's time for the Daily News do to do the same thing. I know of PLENTY of replacements who could do the job MUCH better for FAR less.

Mr Ziegel: If Rich Cimini's email address is wrong, would you do me a favor and forward a copy to your spineless colleague? Thank you.

Anthony

[/code]

AEC4....I am not sure that email qualifies as "cordial". So I can see why he would snap back at you a bit.

My personal opinion on that situation was that there was enough blame to go around. Chad could have handled it better, the media in general could have handled it better.

Rich said his privilege column was sarcasm. The sarcasm was lost on me at the time. I took it to be serious.

He is tough on the Jets. Many of the players don't like him apparently. But you know what when this team wins the Superbowl I will cut them some more slack. Until that time I think they need to be a little less sensitive about what others think.

AEC4....I am not sure that email qualifies as "cordial". So I can see why he would snap back at you a bit.

For crying out loud folks, the guy was nice enough to spend over an hour of his time talking with fans?

I give him a tremendous amount of credit coming on here and taking the heat.

Remember, he is a journalist and certainly entitled to his opinion.

Whether Jet fans like it or not, you shouldn't bash him for his opinions.

Hey, just one question about the chat tonite.

Did faba have diarrhea or something?

He was in and out of that room more times than Peter North with some floozy.

Patsfantx

I was having problems with my computer at home with the chat room- sorry I could not get all the chat with Cimini- but a solid job done by Max, Tom Shane, all our members of jetnation and Rich Cimini. He gave straight answers - no bs and fluff- interesting comments from all.

For crying out loud folks, the guy was nice enough to spend over an hour of his time talking with fans?

I give him a tremendous amount of credit coming on here and taking the heat.

Remember, he is a journalist and certainly entitled to his opinion.

Whether Jet fans like it or not, you shouldn't bash him for his opinions.

That email was the 2nd one I emailed him. The first one was kinder.

As for "taking the heat", I read the transcript, and there wasn't much "heat" applied. The 2 tough questions were open ended, leaving him plenty of wiggle room.

I don't believe the sarcasm excuse for a second. To me, Cimini is spineless and I don't even bother to read his articles unless they are posted on here.

Take today for example, someone posted a Cimini article saying Pennington has not thrown yet, while Randy Lange, who is the BEST Jets Beat writer in the business says he has for 2 weeks.

Randy Lange was also the ONLY Jets Beat Writer who reported Chad's surgery was more involved the day after the procedure. All the other beat writers were repeating what Herm Edwards said in his press release, while Lange actually did some LEGWORK and found out it was worse... MUCH SOONER than anyone else!!!

As for "taking the heat", I read the transcript, and there wasn't much "heat" applied. The 2 tough questions were open ended, leaving him plenty of wiggle room.

Bro we asked him a bunch of questions ourselves. We opened it up to the floor and our members asked a bunch of questions. If you had something specific that you wanted him to address you should have been there or PMed the question to Tom in advance.

Bro we asked him a bunch of questions ourselves. We opened it up to the floor and our members asked a bunch of questions. If you had something specific that you wanted him to address you should have been there or PMed the question to Tom in advance.

I didn't even know about the thing until it already happened.

As for the questions, I give you guys credit for actually breeching the subjects, but the fact is, the questions, at least the ones he responded to, were open enough for him to wiggle out of them. It's not your fault; he's a slimy journalist who knows how to weasel out of things.

As for the questions, I give you guys credit for actually breeching the subjects, but the fact is, the questions, at least the ones he responded to, were open enough for him to wiggle out of them. It's not your fault; he's a slimy journalist who knows how to weasel out of things.

I called you at your house, you didn't get the message? I called every poster! :mrgreen:

Tabor I sent you a PM in the room asking if you had anything. Sorry if we missed you!

Well, I posted my question, but it got buried beneath other good questions. TS pushed for it to be answered and apologized to me that it was kind of passed over. No knocks on the chat, really. Good job overall, and I hope you do it again.

Well, I posted my question, but it got buried beneath other good questions. TS pushed for it to be answered and apologized to me that it was kind of passed over. No knocks on the chat, really. Good job overall, and I hope you do it again.

I agree, the chat was good. You couldn't press the issue on some of the questions we'd all like, because he'd just not chat anymore.

congrats Max, Tom, et al...

I had a Lax game and couldn't be here live, the transcript reads very well, good questions and good answers.

They say when you get married the way to the guys heart is through his stomach, it seems as if Rich has had a vision of the way to the Jets heart is through their fans, good strategy, and I hope it works for all parties. =D>

I didn't even know about the thing until it already happened.

aec, next time I'll ask him, "Rich, are you really 12 years old?"

and

"Rich, I can do your job better than you. How do you feel about that?"

Because your life-long pissing contests with other people define you, I'm sure that will appease you, bud.

I got bounced off the internet 3 times when I logged in so I gave up.

reading the transcripts shows just how well the thing was done. Props to rich for being there & props to all who participated. You're quite the host shane. even though its been rumored you were naked, sitting in a bean bag chair thru it all

I remember attempting to read transcripts of a ji chat & ended up dizzy & confused. here's to hoping I get bounced out of a bunch more of these in the future

It really wasn't so much of an internet problem as it was me hitting the BAN button on your name. Nothing personal though. I swear.

an"]

It really wasn't so much of an internet problem as it was me hitting the BAN button on your name. Nothing personal though. I swear.

thank goodness max, I thought I was having computer problems. I am presently taking courses from aec4 on sportswriter ediquette correspondance & perhaps i'll be less of a nuisance by the next chat session :roll:

aec, next time I'll ask him, "Rich, are you really 12 years old?"

and

"Rich, I can do your job better than you. How do you feel about that?"

Because your life-long pissing contests with other people define you, I'm sure that will appease you, bud.

And I was told this place was different.. guess not.

Archived