Fantasy Football.com Jet Site Rankings

Maxman

A friend of mine just emailed me this review of Jet Fansites. We are not mentioned by name but we did make the list at the bottom.

Pretty funny. This guy writes a fluff piece and then congratulates a site on being voted the winner. Uh, when was the vote? The guy gives his opinion and then calls it a VOTE. Classic.

A ranking of Jets fan sites by fantasyfootball.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.fantasyfootball.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=109

Football Fan Sites Preview - New York Jets

Contributed By: Craig Davis

Over the next two months, FantasyFootball.com will be searching for the best football fan sites on the net. In 2002, we held our first "audition", analyzing over 78 fan sites across the world wide web and it was a Tennessee Titans' fansite, GoTitans.com, that took home the title of Best Football Fansite on the Internet, as voted upon by FantasyFootball.com staff members. Fast forward to 2005 and there are several other websites that have entered the football fansite realm. Today, we'll focus on the third of 4 AFC East NFL teams... the New York Jets. Although it will not have any effect on the final voting, we encourage any feedback you might have on each of the sites listed below. Remember, at the end of the initial 'team-by-team' process, we'll take the top fansites for each of the 32 teams and crown an ULTIMATE CHAMPION. Enjoy.

JetsInsider.com - This site has been around since 1999 and has served Jets' fans with some of the hottest message board forums on the net since then. This site is very pleasing on the eye with lots of color and motion. Maybe too busy, but still very easy to look at.

Positives - One of the first things I noticed was the advertising on the right side of the site. Obviously they are doing something right or the sponsors would not be there. Congratulations. The photos on this site are very well presented... from the 2005 mini-camp photos to the 2004 archives, they didn't miss a beat. They are also the lone Jets' fansite on the Fan2Fan Alliance (F2FA.com). This is quite an honor, since the F2FA lists only one fansite per team. If I remember correctly, the Fan2Fan Alliance was created by the owner/site operator of our 2002 winner, GoTitans.com. If you look far enough down the page, you can view the Jets 2005 calendar and the 2005 schedule. You can also get the 2004 results from pre-season, regular season, and post-season games. The newest feature of this site, however, is the recent addition of Troop 16H. This orginization is "the largest and wildest pre-game tailgate party in the NFL! Due mostly to word of mouth and promotion on this website, Troop 16H has grown to three army transporters, a Humvee, a DJ and 200+ rabid Jets fans regularly attending the festivities. Troop 16H has been featured on pre-game TV and in several news publications.

Negatives - When I come to a fansite, I want to see substance. Despite the fact that this site is full of message boards and tailgate party info, it still leaves the fan a lot to be desired. I see absolutely no statistics, no draft reports, no game scores beyond 2004, etc. The roster page shows the 2004 roster and the depth chart still includes Santana Moss as a WR. Come on guys, please update this stuff. There is nothing in the way of player pages or fantasy analysis or even injury news. Sure, it's a fun little site, but I need a lot more.

Overall - Although it does have it's bright spots and plenty of users, I wouldn't visit it unless I needed tailgate information or wanted to talk with other fans. And honestly, I can get that just about anywhere. On a scale from 1-10, I'd probably give this site a 6.

NYJetsFan.com - A site with tremendous potential. They claim to be "the ultimate fan site"... as proclaimed on their homepage. Not exactly sure how long this site has been around, but it doesn't appear to have been too long.

Positives - Another site that is very easy on the eyes. I like the structure of the homepage and I especially like the schedule listed at the top of the site with the opposing team logos. There was another site (either Miami or Buffalo fansite) that did this very thing and I remember complimenting them. The biggest positive for me pertaining to this site is that they introduced me to the National Football League Fansite Association (no relation to the F2FA). This appears to be another association of fansites on the net, combining forces to give NFL football fans a place to visit and learn about other fansites on the net... all while getting very valuable information. Congratulations on being the lone Jets site selected for this "congregation". This site offers some updated news/feature stories (although it could be presented a little better) that deal directly with players. They are on the verge of launching player pages, but it appears they are a little behind schedule. The poll question about Ty Law is nice and timely. Showing the last 10 forum posts is also a nice idea. The message boards are nice and the live chat system is very similar to the one we use at FantasyFootball.com. One thing I really like is the links to other sports teams' websites at the top of this site... presented in a drop-down box format.

Negatives - Guys... the player page idea is absolutely fantastic and would really push you over the top. However, when you write a sentence like this, "This site is going through some final changes to get ready for the 2005 Season. Please bare with us while these changes take place and new features get added" and expect to get away with spelling (bare) like that instead of bear... it's hard for me to take you seriously. Granted, it might seem like one small mistake, but someone did NOT edit this writing. I don't allow it from my staff writers and I don't accept if from fansites I am reviewing either. Where's the draft info? What about depth charts and stats? This site is still missing a lot.

Overall - Even if they don't have the traffic that the previous site does and even if they haven't updated every page, it's still a step ahead of the Jets Insider. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10, overall.

TheGangGreen.com - Aside from it's strange name, this site offers Jets' fans a place to come and get to know a little bit more about the Jets than they knew before. TheGangGreen.Com is an unofficial non-profit web site of the New York Jets whose purpose is to provide both current and historical information about the New York Jets football, and also serve as a place where the Jets fans from all over the world can exchange their thoughts and ideas, and just talk about their favorite sport. "TheGangGreen.Com officially went online on July 29th of 2000 and since then the site has been undergoing a non-stop growing process."

Positives - The name. Regardless of what's inside, I wanted to visit the site strictly based on it's name. That's definitely a positive. Recently the site operator decided it was time to get some updated material on the home page. Great work to get a few relevant news stories on the site's homepage. The poll question is nicely placed at the top left. It's also nice to see this site selling a few banners and buttons and text links. Keeps the user from having to pay for material. These ads pay the bills and keep sites like these on the market. Has a nice chance at being something special because of the layout and the bits and pieces of relevant info.

Negatives - Like the others, there are some really good things started, but not much is finished or updated. I can't stand when sites have info that is SO FAR out of date it looks like grade school stuff. Santana Moss is NOT on your roster anymore. Injury report and depth charts are out of date too. The "G" in the logo is too much like Green Bay's. A little bit frightening for a Jets fan. Please, will someone give me something I can use?

Overall - Yawn! Another site, another knock off of the one before it. This one is only slightly better than the previous two. I still have yet to find one that comes close to either of our Dolphins' or Bills' champions. I'd give it 6.45 out of 10.

Final Rank...

1. NYJetsFan.com

2. TheGangGreen.com

3. JetsInsider.com

4. Jetnation.com

5. JetsAddicts.com

6. Does it matter?

Congratulations to NYJetsFan.com for being voted the best Jets fansite on the net. Honestly, I wish I could ban them all from this article and just move on to the Patriots. This was fairly disgusting to write. I am wondering why the largest market in America can't produce a better fansite that the ones listed. Ugh. Next up: The New England Patriots. If you have any Pats fansites you'd like to nominate, please, please, please send them to Craig Davis (craig@fantasyfootball.com).

All very subjective to the whim of the writer-to be number 4 and only a couple of months in existence deserves kudos for all that participate in this site though

One thing I learned is for us not to show Santana Moss on Jet depth charts at wide receiver

I actually think he brings up some good points. I've been looking at our alliance members's sites, and I realize how far we have to go to get this thing right. We have a good foundation, but I know, as the guy in charge of content, I'm spending the rest of the summer getting us to that level. If this guy is around next year, I am willing to guarantee a #1 ranking from him.

I actually think he brings up some good points. I've been looking at our alliance members's sites, and I realize how far we have to go to get this thing right. We have a good foundation, but I know, as the guy in charge of content, I'm spending the rest of the summer getting us to that level. If this guy is around next year, I am willing to guarantee a #1 ranking from him.

Tom Shane King of the Talk

Thanks for clarifying exactly what it is you do around here.

I was wondering that myself.

Tom Shane King of the Talk

Talk?

I said I was going to take a loser like Maxman and start the 4th rated Jets website on the net....and I did.

I said I was going to get Terry Bradway to draft Justin Miller AND Mike Nugent...and I did.

AND

I said I was going to impregnate your sister by Labor Day...AND I DID.

So who's all talk, now, bucky?

Talk?

I said I was going to take a loser like Maxman and start the 4th rated Jets website on the net....and I did.

I said I was going to get Terry Bradway to draft Justin Miller AND Mike Nugent...and I did.

AND

I said I was going to impregnate your sister by Labor Day...AND I DID.

So who's all talk, now, bucky?

Since I have three brothers, YOU are

:lol::lol::lol:

I find it funny how Joe Nobody of FantasyFootball.com which is basically a 'grass roots' site itself,has the audacity to step up and evaluate other sites like his opinion actually means something.

Guns. Just savor the moment man. We are # 4.

The dream has come true.

Guns. Just savor the moment man. We are # 4.

The dream has come true.

How can you charge money if you're the #3 site? #-o:lol:

Seriously, #4 is great considering we're a bunch of hack amateurs just figuring this whole deal out. It's good news, IMO, and I'm going to E-Mail the guy and thank him.

How can you charge money if you're the #3 site? #-o:lol:

Seriously, #4 is great considering we're a bunch of hack amateurs just figuring this whole deal out. It's good news, IMO, and I'm going to E-Mail the guy and thank him.

Congratulations to NYJetsFan.com for being voted the best Jets fansite on the net. Honestly, I wish I could ban them all from this article and just move on to the Patriots. This was fairly disgusting to write. I am wondering why the largest market in America can't produce a better fansite that the ones listed. Ugh. Next up: The New England Patriots. If you have any Pats fansites you'd like to nominate, please, please, please send them to Craig Davis (craig@fantasyfootball.com).

You're gonna thank him for THAT? What kind of sissy are you??

TS

A #1 guarantee? That hasn't worked since Super Bowl III. Seriously, that's setting the bar kinda high. I'm on board with this site, and I think you guys have the smarts to improve this place, but there's a long road ahead to make this the best. I wish you guys luck.

I think the problem with our site is the site layout-- the colors, particularly, are very dull. And the design is nothing to go crazy for. If you guys want I have a guy who's a top notch webpage designer that could do our site up, hopefully, for free. You can check out his company's (he's the owner) site at www.dsmedia.us Check out some of the hot stuff he's pulled off in his portfolio

I think the problem with our site is the site layout-- the colors, particularly, are very dull. And the design is nothing to go crazy for. If you guys want I have a guy who's a top notch webpage designer that could do our site up, hopefully, for free. You can check out his company's (he's the owner) site at www.dsmedia.us Check out some of the hot stuff he's pulled off in his portfolio

Thanks for the feedback. If I didn't have to worry so much about banning people all the time I could spend more time on layout! :oops:

Oh and nothing is free. This much I have learned.

TS

A #1 guarantee? That hasn't worked since Super Bowl III. Seriously, that's setting the bar kinda high. I'm on board with this site, and I think you guys have the smarts to improve this place, but there's a long road ahead to make this the best. I wish you guys luck.

Tab, I hear you. It seems that this guy wants more team info--more updated, specific info--and quite frankly I agree. I think our base of posters is knowledgeable enough to provide a source for great football content, so we'll have an endless supply of very solid feature pieces, and if I can get it together and get the rosters, stats, etc. up there, along with the stuff that Max has planned with the server and tommcabe with the look, we'll be right up there, IMO.

I've been looking at other sites and while we're far away from them, I think we have some excellent models to follow as far as what we need to look like, and what we need to avoid. I'm pumped up, and I think we can do it. And as the article's concluding statement says, the bar for the best Jets site may not be all that high. What the writer misses, however, is that thgangreen, nyjetsfan and JI are geared toward their message boards. This guy, Davis, is rating sites based on their use for fantasy football players, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. However, I still like what he has to say about getting better content and info together.

Who else besides me thinks TomShane needs to be fired?

I have delivered time and time again for the Nation. What does he bring? Long posts about his thesis and cheerleading articles.

Cmon.

Tab, I hear you. It seems that this guy wants more team info--more updated, specific info--and quite frankly I agree. I think our base of posters is knowledgeable enough to provide a source for great football content, so we'll have an endless supply of very solid feature pieces, and if I can get it together and get the rosters, stats, etc. up there, along with the stuff that Max has planned with the server and tommcabe with the look, we'll be right up there, IMO.

I've been looking at other sites and while we're far away from them, I think we have some excellent models to follow as far as what we need to look like, and what we need to avoid. I'm pumped up, and I think we can do it. And as the article's concluding statement says, the bar for the best Jets site may not be all that high. What the writer misses, however, is that thgangreen, nyjetsfan and JI are geared toward their message boards. This guy, Davis, is rating sites based on their use for fantasy football players, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt. However, I still like what he has to say about getting better content and info together.

I think the critic just wants to see some eye candy, and who doesn't? But as far as knowledgeable fans, this is the place to be.

By the way, this place already looks better than the Jets offical site.

Who else besides me thinks TomShane needs to be fired?

I have delivered time and time again for the Nation. What does he bring? Long posts about his thesis and cheerleading articles.

Cmon.

You can't fire me. I am the face of JetNation.

Funny...just looking around here, the only photo of a New York Jet is the one of Namath at the top of each page.

Oh yeah, and my new siganture...

We do have a soon to be unveiled download section. It is just a lot of work for one person to do by himself.

I mean Tom is here but he is in the chat room with the ladies everynight. So he isn't much help.

We do have a soon to be unveiled download section. It is just a lot of work for one person to do by himself.

I mean Tom is here but he is in the chat room with the ladies everynight. So he isn't much help.

Linux: The character from 'Peanuts' who carries the blanket.

Not to make excuses but there is not a lot of content to throw up there in the middle of off-season- we could put up a roster of players and transactions and not have any changes really

Archived