THE NEW JETS STADIUM: Bloomburg has thrown in the towel...

BaumerJet

Mayor plots West Side after Jets

Javits Center on track; other projects may be spurred by incentives

By Anne Michaud

Published on June 13, 2005

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is vowing to push ahead with the development of Manhattan's far West Side for office towers and housing, despite suffering an embarrassing defeat in his years-long effort to build a football stadium there.

Last week, a day after Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver killed the stadium deal, Mr. Bloomberg said he would proceed with a plan for 24 million square feet of office space on the West Side. Such a move would defy the repeated demands of Mr. Silver, who has objected to West Side development because he claims it would compete with the commercial revival of his lower Manhattan electoral district.

"My basic role as the city's executive requires that the zoning that (the City Council) voted gets used and the development they wanted gets done," Mr. Bloomberg said in Harlem last Tuesday. "We were counting on the stadium to act as a catalyst, but now we will have to find another catalyst to make the West Side attractive."

The mayor promised to offer tax breaks and other incentives "so developers will look over there."

The call for further West Side growth raises the specter of another political showdown.

The stadium deal, though years in the making, came down to political bartering: The mayor offered to stall the office towers planned for the West Side in exchange for Mr. Silver's support for the stadium.

Mr. Bloomberg said he had offered to table plans for financial incentives on the West Side until the Freedom Tower and 7 World Trade Center--two key Ground Zero projects still in the works--were 75% leased. After derailing the stadium, Mr. Silver may have lost some leverage to stymie West Side development.

The mayor's West Side plan, which the City Council approved in January, features much more than the $2.2 billion football stadium and exposition center that drew such opposition. In addition to the vast new office space, it includes 14,400 new apartments, a network of parks, two hotels, a $1.4 billion expansion of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and a $2 billion extension of the No. 7 subway line.

The West Side would be transformed from a low-rise, little-used area of Manhattan to an employment hub as a western extension of midtown, but with the modern additions of a wide, tree-lined boulevard and 3,300 units of affordable housing.

Real estate interests want the plan to proceed.

"These are still sound concepts, and we should move ahead aggressively with them," says John Zuccotti, chairman of Brookfield Financial Properties, which owns land on the West Side as well as downtown.

The Javits Center expansion is on track and will not be derailed by the stadium defeat, officials say. The project will nearly double the exhibition space at Javits, now the nation's 14th-largest convention center, and allow New York to compete for bigger events.

Subway expansion in play

The no. 7 line expansion to 11th Avenue and West 34th Street may be the most vulnerable component of the plan. The project is to be funded by taxes and other payments from West Side developers, and that funding will not accumulate as quickly if commercial development is slowed by the loss of the stadium, says Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York.

Mr. Silver could further slow the subway line with his vote, scheduled for later this month, as a member of the capital board of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Covering the yards

Perhaps the biggest open question for future West Side expansion remains the fate of the rail yard that occupies several blocks in the West 30s, where the stadium would have been built. Any project over the yards would require the construction of a huge platform at a cost of about $250 million.

Richard Anderson, president of the New York Building Congress, says that any private development projects built on the site would have to generate enough revenue to pay for the platform. He suggests a new Madison Square Garden, although it would be hard to imagine Mr. Bloomberg or Gov. George Pataki working with the Garden's owner, Cablevision Systems Corp., which just spent $40 million in advertising to combat plans to build a New York Jets stadium there.

Mr. Zuccotti also owns the right to develop open rail yards on the West Side, behind the James A. Farley Post Office, and says he is receiving daily calls from residential developers interested in building there. He suggests that the market is right for a hotel at the former stadium site.

"That area, the mayor is absolutely right, is the future of the city," he says.

Mayor plots West Side after Jets

I thought the Jets were still buying the property?

The problem is this. If the city does NOT build the cover over the Hudson Rail yards, there can be no stadium to build.

Since the city is planning to move the $350 million to the Shea redesign, no cap over the rail yards.

It's easy math...

I knew this was going to fail, but I'm surprised that Silver set himself up to take so much heat.

He could have voted to support it, knowing that Joe Bruno would have killed it. As an upstate republican, Bruno doesn't have anything to lose by pissing off people in NYC.

A state senator told me, long ago, that it was not going to happen. I tried telling that to some of the Woody/Cross/Bloomie/Doctoroff lackeys, but their blind allegiance had them in denial.

A state senator told me, long ago, that it was not going to happen. I tried telling that to some of the Woody/Cross/Bloomie/Doctoroff lackeys, but their blind allegiance had them in denial.

Speaking of which....why does Cross still have a job? Seriously. He was brought in here to get this done. And failed.

They could have hired me to get them a new stadium with the Giants in NJ.

Good question. His sole purpose was to get the new stadium built. Now that it's not gonna happen, he needs to go.

Speaking of which....why does Cross still have a job? Seriously. He was brought in here to get this done. And failed.

Why do they keep Herm Edwards around?

Good question. His sole purpose was to get the new stadium built. Now that it's not gonna happen, he needs to go.

I agree. Cross was brought in at the beginning of the Johnson legacy just to get us a stadium in MANHATTAN. He was even offered a $15 Million dollar bonus if he completed the task. He should go.

Besides, in the case of the Meadowlands, You'ld have Cody & Company throwing the G-men out of the Meadowlands with that smile of your!

You calling TomShane a failure? Cmon the content isn't that bad. Give the guy a break. =D>

The content is very weak. You need to establish a "premium" room for hardcore Jet fans. I've taken the liberty to put together a SWOT analysis that you can incorporate into you busines model as you move forward.

Strengths:

1). It will be real cool to have a premium site.

2). Your #4 ranking will definitely move up.

3). You will be able to rip-off, errrr, I mean charge members money to join.

4). The conversation on the message board will consist of how the Jets will finish 15-1, win the Super Bowl, how Hermy is better than Vince Lombardi, how PennyBoy is the best QB in the NFL and how the Jets are the NFL's current dynasty. Not one person will disagree with those viewpoints

Weaknesses:

1). None that I can see. :shock::shock:

Opportunites:

1). Revenue generation.

2). The ability to embezzle funds from members.

3). The ability to keep out the rift-raft (ie. Patsie fans).

4). Become very rich.

Threats:

1). Nobody will pay the money to join because it's all the same stuff that is free right now or you can read in the newspaper.

2). Max and TomShane become the laughingstock of internet web lords as they lose their shirts and have to shut down the entire site.

The content is very weak. You need to establish a "premium" room for hardcore Jet fans. I've taken the liberty to put together a SWOT analysis that you can incorporate into you busines model as you move forward.

Strengths:

4). The conversation on the message board will consist of how the Jets will finish 15-1, win the Super Bowl, how Hermy is better than Vince Lombardi, how PennyBoy is the best QB in the NFL and how the Jets are the NFL's current dynasty. Not one person will disagree with those viewpoints

Weaknesses:

Opportunites:

1). Revenue generation.

4). Become very rich.

Threats:

1). Nobody will pay the money to join because it's all the same stuff that is free right now or you can read in the newspaper.

2). Max and TomShane become the laughingstock of internet web lords as they lose their shirts and have to shut down the entire site.

This has to be post of the year- much less day-gets my vote PatsfanTx

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Opportunites:

1). Revenue generation.

4). Become very rich.

Threats:

Welcome to JetNation's newest exclusive poster...Patsfantx.

I think after this post he may experience "login problems" on some other sites.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Opportunites:

1). Revenue generation.

4). Become very rich.

Threats:

=D>=D>=D>=D>

Slayed!!!

Archived