NFL cracking down- suspending Doss of Colts

faba

Colts' Doss suspended for first two games

NFL.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS (June 15, 2005) -- Indianapolis Colts safety Mike Doss was suspended by the NFL for the first two regular-season games after pleading no contest to misdemeanor gun charges.

Doss was sentenced to community service last week after pleading no contest to misdemeanor gun charges in Akron, Ohio, where he was arrested after firing a gun into the air outside a restaurant on May 29.

"We support the policy and the commissioner completely and therefore left it in his hands. He has acted," Colts president Bill Polian said of the decision by NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

"We hope this swift sure action by the commissioner sends a signal to all concerned, players and fans alike; that actions such as those engaged in by Mike Doss will not be tolerated in the NFL or with the Colts."

Under the league's suspension, Doss may participate in all preseason practices and games but must sit out the first two regular-season games -- without pay -- Sept. 11 at Baltimore and Sept. 18 at home against Jacksonville. He will be eligible to return to the active roster on Sept. 19.

"We hope that Mike has learned a positive, if costly, lesson from this experience," Polian said. "Our expectation is that he has and that he will return to our team as the major contributor he has been in the past.

"The Colts consider this matter closed."

Doss faced a felony weapons charge and three misdemeanor charges after his arrest by Akron police.

He pleaded no contest last week to misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon and firing a weapon within city limits. He was sentenced to 40 hours community service, fined $1,000 and ordered to destroy the gun. A 180-day jail sentence was suspended.

Doss later apologized to the court, the city of Akron, the Colts and his family.

"He just wants go to back to playing football," said his attorney Jon Sinn.

Doss, selected in the second round of the 2003 draft from Ohio State, has 150 career tackles and had three career interceptions over two seasons.

I loved Doss coming out of school, and it's sad to see him suck so bad. I don't get it with players and guns. They just sent Carlton Dotson, the Baylor kid, to jail for 35+ years for going gangsta on his teammate. Why the hell do these jackasses need guns? When was the last time a pro athlete had to shoot his way out of a conflict?

Does Sean Taylor get the same two-game suspension?

PatsfanTx what did Doss do that a whole bunch of players have gotten away trangressions with no penalty. Who has it in for Doss?

PatsfanTx what did Doss do that a whole bunch of players have gotten away trangressions with no penalty. Who has it in for Doss?

That's kinda my point faba.

I think the NFL (especially Tags) will start really cracking down (suspensions) for players involved in off-field instances.

If Randy McMichael beat the crap out of his pregnant wife last month instead of last year, I think he would have got bounced for a couple games.

This is only the beginning. :wink:

Archived