5 Greatest Kicks in NFL History

PatsFanTX

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd be curious to see what you folks think of the 5 greatest (big game clutch kicks) of all-time.

Here's mine:

1) Adam Vinatieri's 45-yarder to tie the Raiders in the AFCC game. Not only because of the pressure, the elements were ridiculous to make that kind of kick.

2) Adam Vinatieri's 48-yarder as time expired to beat the Rams in Super Bowl XVI.

3) Adam Vinatieri's 42-yarder to beat the Panthers in Super Bowl XVIII.

4) Jim O'Brien's 32-yarder to beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl V. Yea, it was a chip shot, but O'Brien was a rookie kicker at the time.

5) John Hall's 50-yader to beat the Raiders the last game of the year. Purely selfish reason here, because if the Pats didn't have home field against the Raiders, I don't think they would have beaten them in Oakland.

You can throw in Raul Allegre who was signed I think the week before the final game of the 1991 season and kicked the game tying field against Miami as time expired and then kicks the game winner in OT to put the Jets in the playoffs and sends Miami home.

Cannot argue the Adam V kicks. All were monsters.

How did i know Id find an Adam Vinatieri stroke fest in here??

Tx you are so predictable.

Smizz, just list your top 5 all-time kicks and let's see what they are. :wink:

BTW, Brien's missed FG last year against the Steelers don't count.

The ball needs to sail through the uprights.

Jim Turner's game-clinching kick in the 3rd quarter of Super Bowl III (the most important game in NFL history) for the New York Jets is CLEARLY number 1.

HOmer. :roll:

A field goal with 16 minutes to go is hardly the most important.

Tex can put Adam V's Figgie that gave the Patriots a 24-14 lead against the Eagles as important because after all it was the 'game' winning field goal.

HOmer. :roll:

A field goal with 16 minutes to go is hardly the most important.

Tex can put Adam V's Figgie that gave the Patriots a 24-14 lead against the Eagles as important because after all it was the 'game' winning field goal.

Adam Vinatieri is clutch. WE GET IT.

Adam Vinatieri is clutch. WE GET IT.

That is not the point.

If the kick happend from the mid-to late 4th to give the Jets a 3 score advantage, that would be one thing. However, with 16 minutes to go, there is still alot of football.

I think it was big, but not that big because of the time left.

here is a question.. do they have to be successful kicks?... a great kick to one team could be when the other teams kicker messes up.. as in when Norwood's kick for the Bill's sailed right in SB 24 or 25 giving the Gints the win..

Now i realize i am leaving this open for some wise a$$ Tx or Pk to come in and mention brien's two failed attempts last year.... but that wasnt for a SB win... Norwood's was.

but they probably wont be able to resist. :roll: oy.

here is a question.. do they have to be successful kicks?.

Max, New York Jets on line one, NFL.com holding on line two and ESPN.com holding on line three.

I think you made the big time. =D>=D>

They want to link JetNation because they are absolutely thrilled with the high level of football intelligence on your website.

Max, New York Jets on line one, NFL.com holding on line two and ESPN.com holding on line three.

I think you made the big time. =D>=D>

They want to link JetNation because they are absolutely thrilled with the high level of football intelligence on your website.

i guess you dont do abstract thoughts Tx. No big surprise..

here is a question.. do they have to be successful kicks?... a great kick to one team could be when the other teams kicker messes up.. as in when Norwood's kick for the Bill's sailed right in SB 24 or 25 giving the Gints the win..

Now i realize i am leaving this open for some wise a$$ Tx or Pk to come in and mention brien's two failed attempts last year.... but that wasnt for a SB win... Norwood's was.

but they probably wont be able to resist. :roll: oy.

Well, Tex's thread was titled the "5 Greatest Kicks in NFL history." That would leave you to believe the kicks had to be good.

Norwood's kick was a miss. So it does not qualify as a kick, because it was not good.

Don't you have some math formulas you can practice? :wink:

Well, Tex's thread was titled the "5 Greatest Kicks in NFL history." That would leave you to believe the kicks had to be good.

Norwood's kick was a miss. So it does not qualify as a kick, because it was not good.

Don't you have some math formulas you can practice? :wink:

yes but it was a great kick to giant fans! think outside the box... dont take anything wo literal! :roll:

as ALice says... schools out for summer!

:mrgreen:

When I was a kid it seemed like George Blanda was either kicking a game winner, or coming off the bench to drive for one aat QB every week.

The most amazing kick I ever witnessed has to be Dempsey's. Vinatiari is ridiculously clutch. I tend to remember missed kicks more, and I can remember Pat Leahy leaving us hanging on many occassions.

Well if they don't have to made kicks, the best kick ever was Scott Norwoods choke job vs the Giants.

Some would say then, that John Hall's missed chip-shot at home vs Detroit in '00 paved the way for the greatest motivator in football history to become the NYJ coach.

...I'm not one of those people.

Two of AV's kicks won Super Bowls.

The other one was in just sick weather from over 40 !!!

The only other kicker that could be in the top three is Jim O'Brien of the Colts who as a rookie kicked the game winner as time expired in Super Bowl V.

Revised list

1) Vinateri - Super Bowl 38

2) Vinateri - Super Bowl 39

3) O'Brien - Super Bowl 5

4) Matt Bahr - This may have been the greatest single field performance. Five field goals in the 1990 NFC Championship, including the game winner as time expires represents all the Giants points in their 15-13 win over the 49'ers ending the niners run for a three peat in SF.

5) Vinateri - 2001 vs Oakland in the snow. (Take either one. the game tying field goal or the game winner.

4) Matt Bahr - This may have been the greatest single field performance. Five field goals in the 1990 NFC Championship, including the game winner as time expires represents all the Giants points in their 15-13 win over the 49'ers ending the niners run for a three peat in SF.

shawn, good call on Matt Bahr. I forgot that game and it definitely needs to be in the top 5.

Although Vinateri hit the two game winners in the Super Bowl, in my mind, the 45-yarder in the blizzard was incredibly cluth and given the conditions of the playing field, much more difficult. I still would keep that as my #1 kick of all-time.

shawn, good call on Matt Bahr. I forgot that game and it definitely needs to be in the top 5.

Although Vinateri hit the two game winners in the Super Bowl, in my mind, the 45-yarder in the blizzard was incredibly cluth and given the conditions of the playing field, much more difficult. I still would keep that as my #1 kick of all-time.

It is very hard to argue the Oakland kick. It was amazing and deserves to be up there.

It's tough though to put that ahead of three Super Bowl winners and Bahr's which were all done on the road.

Archived