Randy Lange Chat Transcript from last night

mudcat21

Here's the chat transcript from the Randy Lange chat on 6/15/05.

Thanks to Randy, another excellent session.

As usual I've edited a little, but not much. Thanks to sg1 for helping me moderate, and for Henry and Steve for helping set the chat session up.

[18:56] randylange joined http://www.nyjetschat.com

[18:58] <Maven>Please welcome Randy Lange to the chat. As you hardcore Jets fans know, Randy is the NY Jets beat writer for the Bergen Record, online version is available at http://www.northjersey.com. Randy is about to release a book, titled "Stadium Stories: New York Jets". The book will be softcover, published by Globe Pequot Press in Connecticut, and should be available in August.

[18:59] <randylange> Thank you for the plug, Maven.

[18:59] <EricBarton50> Randy..suprised about Tongue??

[18:59] <Maven>Anyone have any questions about his upcoming book?, Randy will be glad to answer them.

[19:00] <randylange> Shall I start in on the Tongue question or do we want to wait a few more seconds?

[19:00] <ksahagi> Randy, congrats on the book...I see at Amazon.com it's available for pre-order for early Sep release. BUT, you'll set up a way for us to get OUR copies signed by the author, right?

EDIT-- insert Amazon Pre-order link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

[19:00] <sg1>and then we can move to EricBarton's first question of the night about Tongue.

[19:00] <Maven>go ahead, EricBarton50 was first

[19:01] <Maven>We will provide further information on where to go to get the book once it's released.. please check the NYJetsChat.com website in August for details.

[19:01] <jetsfan727> Any news on Ty Law?

[19:01] <randylange> Absolutely, signed copies for everyone who helps my royalty position. And I'm glad to hear about Amazon. I did not know that. But I have heard Barnes & Noble may be doing a regional promotion, which means the book should be available in your neck of the woods.

[19:01] <Maven>Please wait your turn 727

[19:01] <ksahagi> My neck of the woods is Tampa Bay!

[19:01] <Maven>lol

[19:01] <sg1>gagoots, then speedtrain are the next two in the queue. We are going in order of arrival 727. I'll let you know when

[19:02] <EricBarton50> Follow up on Tongue...Are they banking on Mcgraw and Coleman as the starters?

[19:02] <randylange> On Tongue, I was more surprised they didn't release him back on March 1. It was expected, but I guess DHenderson and Herm all wanted to see how Jon McGraw was looking as he rehabbed from his sports hernia surgery, plus how Rashad Washington and Oliver Celestin looked, plus the 2 draft picks.

[19:03] <randylange> Tampa Bay? Not that far south, I don't think.

[19:03] <ksahagi> I'll see you on the book tour when it gets down here!

[19:03] <randylange> Oh yeah, I forgot about Erik Coleman (but not really). Yeah, I would say McGraw and Coleman start, but there could be some Rashad Washington buzz and the two rookies, Kerry Rhodes and Andre Maddox, should make impact on ST.

[19:04] <sg1>youre up train

[19:04] <EricBarton50> How much do they save on cap with Tongue cut?

[19:04] <sg1>oops I mean gagoot

[19:04] <Gagoots> I am pretty worried about the lost of Fergie to the cowboys, and vilma seems vocal about this too. How has the big rookie looked and how do you feel this will affect the run Defense?

[19:05] <randylange> Well, the deal was 4 years for 5.39 mil plus 1.1 mil SB. That's 275,000 prorated per year, plus about $1 mil per year in base salary, and because it's after June 1 they don't take the full cap hit, so I estimate Tongue's release saves them about $1.275M this year.

[19:07] <Gagoots> Gearing up for law maybe.

[19:07] <Maven>Is that your follow-up?..is it train next?

[19:07] <randylange> Well, Sione Pouha (pronounced Bo-OOH-ha) looks huge and he's mature and he played for a good college program. But they need to get him up to speed, so to speak, so Donnie Henderson told me two weeks ago it could be NT by committee -- Lance Legree, Pouha and Tank Reed.

[19:08] <mudcat21> No McGill

[19:08] <randylange> As for Ty Law, I had that story way back in March, then I thought it wasn

[19:08] <Maven>watch the return on that lapper randy

[19:08] <Maven>lol

[19:08] <randylange> wasn't going to happen, now I hear the sides are talking. I wouldn't rule it out, but after Donnie Abraham reported in the middle of the OTAs, my Jets sources told me it was unlikely that they would pursue Law.

[19:08] <sg1>speedtrain has the next question, then mudcat, then 727 -- lets limit it to one Q and one Follow up if we can

[19:08] <speedtrain> Hi Randy. Thanks for visiting with us tonight. I really believe in football that coaching philosophy and presence is enormous. Hackett was awful and I almost feel as if the arrival of Heimerdinger has been underrated. With Coles and a healthy Penny, this offense should be explosive. What are your thoughts?

[19:09] <randylange> McGill at NT, yes, he's kind of a sleeper. NFL Europe, another big guy. But Henderson didn't mention him in the rotation, so we'll have to see.

[19:10] <randylange> Hey, Speedtrain, thanks. True enough about coaching philosophy. What after all is the constant element for successful teams anymore. It's not loads of players, it's coaches and the systems they teach...

[19:10] <Limolady> Hey guys, Limo here and have a question for RL when he's ready and thanks to Tobin Forums for setting up another great live chat. (-;

[19:10] <Maven>sg1 will be calling the order people will ask your question

[19:11] <mudcat21> My turn?

[19:11] <sg1>I'll get you in in a while limo

[19:11] <sg1>youre up mud

[19:11] <Maven>please have your question typed and ready to go when you know you'll be called on soon

[19:11] <mudcat21> Randy - The Jets gave Coles additional money without adding years to his contract or to help the salary cap, an act that few if any teams have done, do you think the Jets set a bad precedent doing this and how is this affecting the players especially Johnny Abe and Sowell who are unhappy with their contract situations?

[19:11] <slatslock>..coulda mailed that one in

[19:11] <Maven>lol

[19:12] <randylange> I like Heimerdinger a lot, which isn't hard after Hackett. He throws to all his WRs and TEs, not just the first two WRs and backs. He goes downfield more. He teaches a great philosophy about a receiver is never out of the progression, something that Hackett didn't believe in. This offense should do well. But so much is on Pennington's shoulder.

[19:12] <sg1>no pun intended

[19:12] <Maven>lol

[19:13] <randylange> Re: Coles. I've heard J Abraham wasn't pleased about that development. Otherwise, I don't think it matters to the players. Yes, it's probably viewed as a bad precedent by most GMs. However, I will say this for the Jets. They didn't pay Coles the $13 mil when WAS signed him to that offer sheet. So to get the deal done, they offered $5M. I believe that's how they rationalize it.

[19:14] <Savage69> Randy..what do you think about Cannizzaro joining Jets Insider.com???

[19:14] <meddle> Many teams have renegotiated deals with players changing teams. The amount of new money is what makes the Coles deal unusual. BTW, I also think they gave him .too much.

[19:14] <sg1>whoa guys, wait your turns

[19:15] <awesumtenor> evenin' all

[19:15] <sg1>the next questioner is 727, then jumba, slats and khasagi

[19:15] <Maven>hey tenor

[19:15] <jetsfan727> Are the Jets sold on Adrian Jones or will they pursue Scott gragg?

[19:15] <mudcat21> They didnt renegotiate just gave him more money, no additional years or easing the salary cap

[19:15] <awesumtenor> thanks for coming by randy

[19:15] <randylange> Good get for Jets Insider, no? Actually, I'm all in favor of my competition adding more to their plate, so as to maybe miss a story here or there. Nothing on Mark who is a good friend, but the Post in my opinion has had a very low profile this off-season.

[19:16] <sg1>727's question about Jones or Gragg is on the table

[19:16] <mudcat21> vary low profile unlike Canizzaro's belly

[19:16] <meddle> They didn't renegotiate, Jerry? Renegotiate does not mean a deal that's beneficial to the team. The deal was re-done and yeah, it was in Lava's favor - big time.

[19:16] <sg1>Jets insider is paying him in cheeseburgers and fries, supersized, - a cheap deal for them

[19:17] <randylange> Again on Coles, I don't disagree with you, Meddle, but the Jets clearly felt they were close to resigning him as an RFA 2 years ago but didn't so in kicking in the $5 mil and guaranteeing $3 mil more, it was worth it.

[19:17] <sg1>The coles questions are completed

[19:17] <meddle> Plus you need to look at what they'd have had to give Moss.

[19:18] <meddle> Sorry, I was just commenting...

[19:18] <sg1>OK, no prob meddle

[19:18] <sg1>ray ray is not here so this chat is easy to moderate

[19:18] <Maven>lol

[19:18] <randylange> Yo Adrian: This one has the smell of a developing position. The company line is the job is Adrian Jones' and Doug Marrone,in an interview I had with him a month ago, said all signs are good. But Gragg's name has been out there and did Verba sign with anyone? They may decide a week in that they have enough money do pursue a Kendall-type deal for a starting RT.

[19:19] <mudcat21> where is the little redhead?

[19:19] <sg1>cheating in fantasy baseball, probably

[19:19] <mudcat21> no doubt LOL

[19:20] <randylange> Again on Coles, no they didn't renegotiate, but if they had signed him to the $13 million signing bonus back then, he'd be counting almost $2 million on SB alone under the cap. With $5 mil SB over five years, it's $1M per year

[19:20] <Limolady> Is RL ready for a serious question?

[19:20] <sg1>Jumba has the next question, then slats, khasagi, meddle, rich and then you limoladyu

[19:20] <Jumba1> Do you think Miller will get much PT, or is he strictly a ST'er at first? GOOD JOB, GUYS

[19:21] <Maven>remember folks, randy is hackin away at these as fast as he can, and most likely not on his normal keyboard

[19:21] <randylange> Moss was going to be a problem, too, because he was making noise as if he wanted to be paid like a 1st or 2nd WR (and did get paid that much by WAS), but the Jets had determined that he really was too soft over the middle and was more of a 3rd WR.

[19:22] <mudcat21> Sideline Moss

[19:22] <Maven>lol

[19:22] <speedtrain> No comparison between Moss and Coles as receivers - we got by far the better player

[19:22] <speedtrain> And with Justin the return game shouldn't be an issue anyway

[19:23] <randylange> On Justin Miller, Jumba1, it's hard to say right now. But with DAbraham back and I think ready to play another season and with the Ty Law talk still simmering, I'd say they'd probably like to have Justin (young guy, remember) learn the CB ropes while earning his keep as PR and KR.

[19:23] <mudcat21> we got a possesion receiver WasHington got a potential big play guy if he would grow some balls

[19:24] <speedtrain> Why do you say that Mudcat? I think that is the prevailing notion by many fans, but I really disagree. Washington's system and level of execution was awful last year

[19:24] <meddle> A possession receiver? I guess you are throwing out his career prior to last year.

[19:24] <mudcat21> Same way McCareins was misused here?

[19:24] <randylange> Yeah, Moss had turned into a straight-line guy. Still a game-breaking type, but not a well-rounded starting WR. On the surface, it looked like an even swap, Moss' per-catch average for Coles' catches, but Coles is a better WR than he was last year with WR and far tougher.

[19:24] <Maven>easy guys

[19:24] <sg1>let's try and let Randy get to the questions and answers or else this will turn into the forum

[19:24] <meddle> Giddyup

[19:25] <sg1>slats has the next question for Randy

[19:25] <slatslock> Thanks for coming, Randy! Who do you think wins the #3/slot WR job this year? Do Gessner and Williams have a real shot at making the roster?

[19:25] <meddle> OK, I need a new question... LOL

[19:25] <sg1>khasagi on deck, then meddle, rich and limolady

[19:26] <meddle> pressure

[19:26] <Maven>you can make a trade before the deadline with limolady probably meddle

[19:26] <slatslock> I'll add my side comments when this becomes a transcript...

[19:26] <Maven>she might give you her 2nd round question too

[19:26] <mudcat21> make sure u get good value for a trade down

[19:27] <randylange> My guess is that Chrebet/Cotchery will be the No. 3. Chrebet will do what he does, Cotchery will get different situations and they'll both play in 4WR Dinger sets. I like Gessner and I think the coaches are aware he could be a diamond in the rough -- very tall, deceptively tough, Drew Bennett type maybe. Williams is very raw and may or may not stick.

[19:27] <sg1>slats, then khasagi unless that was a pass from slats that I missed

[19:27] <slatslock> i wanted top pin you down on Chrebet v. Cotchery, star of last years camp

[19:28] <Maven>k man is up, no?

[19:28] <ksahagi> Sep 1 is the book date at Amazon.com. OK, two big words: Pennington status. Has anyone actually seen him throw, other than Herm?

[19:28] <sg1>yes, I got penalized for messing up the batting order,t here

[19:29] <Maven>takes 2 of us clowns to do it steve

[19:29] <slatslock> assclowns

[19:29] <randylange> Slats, Cotchery was played up by Herman, and I think all the writers thought Cotchery was promising but weren't seeing everything Herm was. Chrebet also had a very good camp last year. I suppose if Cotchery's ready to go, he'll push Chrebet to No. 4, but I love Wayne, I think he'll have another good summer, and he's eager to show he was wasted by Hackett.

[19:29] <slatslock> cool, thanks!

[19:30] <sg1>khahagi asked the BIG QUESTION all of us want to know the answer to

[19:30] <randylange> Khasagi, Pennington's throwing is the big mystery of June. I broke the story last Wednesday, I ithink, from Milwaukee (I was covering the Yankees but got a call from my source). I had Chad throwing, Daily News and Newsday did not. Ken Berger followed up my story this week with essentially the same info I had.....

[19:31] <Maven>i think you had him throwing on the same day as others had him specifically not throwing

[19:31] <randylange> I've heard that Terry Bradway and Herman have both confirmed on radio interviews that Chad was throwing, not during OTAs but after them soft-tossing to WRs on the sideline. This is what I reported and what I think is important to Jets fans. For some reason the Jets don't want to tell the writers any of this.

[19:31] <sg1>Just for your info, Randy -- the Pirates have scored 3 runs on 6 hits off Kevin "Blowup' Brown in the last inning and a third

[19:31] <slatslock> reading those other article, I suspected that YOU were the "sources close to the team"

[19:31] <Limolady> 1st please tell me - NO TY LAW! Any player who wants to go to another team just to show the Pats "what they are missing" is a joke I.M.O.

[19:32] <meddle> Um, ok.

[19:32] <ksahagi> Thanks for clearing it up!

[19:32] <Maven>meddle is up?

[19:32] <meddle> I'm ready when called on

[19:32] <sg1>Limolady has offered meddle "future concessions" to move up over meddle

[19:32] <Maven>aaah

[19:33] <randylange> Slats, I had no info other than what my sources (and it was two sources) told me, and as a result I didn't feel I needed to confirm this with Herm or TBrad, both of whom have been elusive since the minicamp.

[19:33] <meddle> Let Limo go. I can wait.

[19:33] <Limolady> Oops, my bad hit the send button by mistake.

[19:33] <randylange> Yes, I've done that a few times earlier tonight.

[19:33] <sg1>OK -- we'll allow ladies first, then

[19:33] <Maven>lapper keyboard?

[19:33] <meddle> That sounds dirty, Mark.

[19:33] <sg1>meddle and then riche will then follow

[19:34] <meddle> Limo's up, right?

[19:34] <randylange> Yeah, I'm using my own lapper. Usually I'm chatting from another PC in another room in the house.

[19:34] <slatslock> Randy - I'm saying that I thought Newsday and the News used YOUR ARTICLE as THEIR source... not questioning your sources. You broke the story.

[19:34] <sg1>limo want's to hear a big NO on Ty Law

[19:34] <mudcat21> I think the Law comment was her question

[19:34] <Maven>i'd be captain typo on one of them things

[19:35] <meddle> Ah

[19:35] <ksahagi> Slats...exactly.

[19:35] <mudcat21> Cimini said a Jet team source said he wasn't throwing

[19:35] <randylange> Like I say, once Donnie Abraham said he'd figured it all out and he was playing again, my Jets people told me it was "very unlikely" they would pursue Law. Yet rumors persist that they're still talking. I just can't legitimately gauge their interest at this point.

[19:36] <sg1>meddle, rich, buzzsaw, jumba2, then savage69

[19:36] <ksahagi> I have to admit, I like the way Herm pussyfoots around the Law question..."I talk to him all the time"...like Edwards is some sort of CB mentor!

[19:37] <Limolady> Sorry guys, I'm on 3 sites at once, but I did have a simple question for RL

[19:37] <randylange> On Cimini, Mudcat, Cimini said he had the story that Chad was tossing for two weeks, just like I had, but he wanted the team to confirm and it wouldn't. But I believe, and TBrad and Herm's radio comments since have backed me up, that my sources were right on, that Chad was limbering up at the ends of practices.

[19:37] <randylange> I'm ready, LL.

[19:37] <mudcat21> Randy I take your word over all other writers

[19:37] <Maven>also Vilma oopsed on NFL Team Cam too

[19:37] <Maven>alluded to penny taking reps

[19:38] <slatslock> the other ones are liars...

[19:38] <sg1>especially over Cimini who just makes stuff up

[19:38] john_tobin joined #jetschat.

[19:38] <meddle> heh

[19:38] <Maven>welcome jt

[19:38] <john_tobin> Thanks

[19:38] <randylange> Thanks, Mudcat. I did have the DAbraham and Pennington stories first, but I got beat by Hutch at the Star-Ledger on Donnie Henderson's extension. I knew it was coming and was about to write it but couldn't get any confirmation from Donnie, his agent or the Jets.

[19:38] <john_tobin> Randy...welcome again....and thanks

[19:38] <randylange> Hey, John, thanks as always.

[19:38] <Limolady> RL, don't you think it was a little bit of payback to RC for all his same ole Jets mantra articles and his taking Kevin Mawae's journal comments geared for the fans a little over the top?

[19:38] <sg1>OK lets get on track -- limo - ask your simple question already

[19:39] <Maven>she did

[19:39] <meddle> slow pc

[19:39] <Maven>rich is up

[19:39] <Rich> Hey Randy--what's your take on Dreessen? Does he beat out Dearth--or do the Jets carry 4 Tight Ends?

[19:40] <meddle> Um, hello.

[19:40] <meddle> lol

[19:40] <Limolady> I believe he was fed less than forthcoming 411 about Chad as payback, any thoughts?

[19:40] <randylange> The payback for RC is possible, but something the Jets and most coaches and executives in most pro sports seem incapable of doing is ignoring a media giant like the Daily News, even if they don't like what it reports from time to time.

[19:40] <sg1>meddle was up ahead of rich

[19:40] <meddle> I'll go next

[19:40] <randylange> Rich, I'll get to you in a second.

[19:40] <mudcat21> meddle who's meddle lol

[19:40] <Rich> ok

[19:40] <meddle> I like Rich's question too.

[19:41] <sg1>THIS IS THE ORDER MEDDLE,THEN BUZZSAW, THEN JUMBA2, THEN AWESUMTENOR, TRICIA, HERMBALL

[19:41] <Maven>tenor gone

[19:41] <slatslock> i hope trish asks something sexy

[19:41] <Tricia> I don't have a question, just watching.....lol

[19:42] <john_tobin> I wonder if Randy remembers AJ from the Albany trip.

[19:42] <john_tobin> sh*t...I barely remember AJ

[19:42] <Jumba1> Jumba's are both the same. Let me know when I come around again

[19:42] <meddle> Very authoritative, Steve.

[19:42] <Tricia> Oh, I'm sure I could come up with one slats!

[19:42] Limolady (java@70.4.215.8Q28=) left irc: QUIT:

[19:42] <Maven>we should also give randy the opportunity to tease his upcoming book, maybe give us a quick story.. at some point

[19:42] <randylange> OK. Dreessen looks very interesting at that spot, and clearly could pose a threat to Dearth if he shows proficiency as a receiving TE. I like Baker and I'm tentatively happy about Jolley. And one stat I love: Dinger had three Titan TEs last year with at least 25 catches. No other team since 2000 did that.

[19:42] <Maven>lol@tobes

[19:43] <slatslock> that's an interesting stat

[19:43] <Rich> the dinger likes to spread it around then?

[19:43] <sg1>Maybe Randy would like to hump his book on a morning upstate radio show

[19:44] <Maven>yeah tobes.. have randy on

[19:44] <sg1>quick meddle, before someone jumps ahead of you again

[19:44] <meddle> Randy, Ray Mickens is another player that could be cut at a cap savings. If they are confident with Strait as the nickle, could Mickens be a cut to open up space to go after Law? Not bad when it shakes out... Barrett and Law as starters with Strait in the nickle and Miller as the dime corner.

[19:44] <Rich> does this mean that blaylock will see alot of action?

[19:44] <meddle> This is more about cutting Mickens to open up money. Maybe even for a different positional need. Has Ray shown good legs thus far?

[19:44] <randylange> Yes, Rich. I don't have the numbers right in front of me but I compared Dinger's 1st through 4th WRs with Hackett's for 2001-04 and at every rung, Dinger's WRs got more catches. A big reason for that is because Dinger's offenses ran 5-plus more plays per game than Hackett's offenses. More plays, more yards, more points.

[19:46] <ksahagi> Bennett and mason caught 80 and 96 last year

[19:46] <randylange> On Mickens, I suppose that's a possibility, and Mickens has sure telegraphed to Parcells that he'd love to finish his career in Big D. But at the minicamp, Mickens talked as if he was finishing up as a Jet. So if Law becomes real, with Strait as the nickel and Miller in the equation, I guess Ray would be odd man out.

[19:46] <slatslock> or Donnie Abe... ?

[19:46] <Maven>dabe is option one

[19:47] <meddle> Maybe a deal to Dallas for a 5th rounder?

[19:47] <randylange> Ray and Jon McGraw both did individual drills but not team drills during the minicamp/OTA sessions. But I believe both are deemed to be in good shape in the offseason program and will crank it up from the start of TC.

[19:47] <Tricia> I've changed my mind.....I do have a question, when it's my turn.

[19:47] <meddle> Slats, I was assuming he's retired at that point.

[19:47] <sg1>buzzsaw then jumba2 - the rest of the first round is tricia, hermball, j, tobin and dcat

[19:48] <meddle> Thanks Randy.

[19:48] <randylange> Dealing Mickens to Dallas? Could be. I haven't heard anything firm, but it makes sense. Mickens told Jet writers he thought he'd be retiring as a Jet when he apparently told a Dallas-area writer the same day that he'd like to retire as a Cowboy.

[19:48] <Buzzsaw> Randy--- do you think that Blaylock will be used more and get more carries than Lamont was getting or will CMart dominate the carries again?

[19:48] <slatslock> meddle and slats move to the edges of their seats...

[19:49] <meddle> I guess Mickens hasn't put together the whole internet thing...

[19:49] <Maven>good question buzz

[19:49] <meddle> Or internets, as GWB would say...

[19:49] <slatslock> interweb

[19:49] <Maven>lol

[19:49] <meddle> lol

[19:49] <randylange> I think Blaylock will get carries, because he's shown he can handle it backing up Priest Holmes. And Dinger has said he's not stupid enough to fix something that aint broke, etc., so he's staying with Curtis. But I just don't see how giving Curtis a career-high 371 carries, plus the playoffs, is good for anyone. Get him down to 300, get Blaylock up to 150, which they should've done with Jordan.

[19:49] <Maven>innernets

[19:49] <mudcat21> Isn't that what Gore claims to have invented?

[19:49] <john_tobin> Buzzsaw....if that happens....they'll NEED a new stadium....for 2006

[19:50] <sg1>the next question comes from Tricia, then hermball then J, then john tobin and dcat

[19:51] <Tricia> Any news on the new stadium? You think it will be in NY or NJ? What's your take on what Woody has up his sleeve?

[19:51] <Maven>way to go tricia

[19:51] <Tricia> Thanx Mark

[19:51] <randylange> Give me a second, folks.

[19:51] <Maven>ok... take a breather

[19:51] <sg1>no prob

[19:52] <sg1>OK folks talk among yourselves... If ya gottem smokeem

[19:52] <mudcat21> We starting from the top again for Round 2?

[19:52] <Maven>i'll let the folks know that we'll most likely have a link to Randy's upcoming book on our website soon

[19:52] <ksahagi> While Randy takes a breather and we're all here...Maven, any thoughts on us doing something for hmhertz as a group?

[19:52] <slatslock> a circle jerk?

[19:53] <mudcat21> I have his address if anyone needs it

[19:53] <ksahagi> That would be appropriate...LOL

[19:53] <Tricia> You have his address Jerry????

[19:53] <Maven>that'd be one for hank.. for sure, lol

[19:53] <mudcat21> i'll send to u tommorrow

[19:53] <Tricia> k

[19:53] <randylange> I'm back. The Jets' public stance on the stadium is that they haven't given up on the NY site and are developing other interesting contacts who could provide the 3M the state didn't provide. But the move that makes the most sense is shacking up with the Giants, naming the stadium AmEx Field and equalizing the revenues for both teams.

[19:54] <sg1>After dcat- the second round, based on folks still here will be speedtrain, then mud, jumba1, slats, ksahagi, meddle, rich, buzz, tricia, hermball, tobin and dcat if Randy has time for all

[19:54] <Hermball> Dinger wants to get the offense up to the LOS quickly, do you think that Chad will be able to read the D and audible into a favorable play/take advantage of mismatches?

[19:54] <meddle> You wanna help Hank, post a lot. That's lift his spirits. That said, I'm in on whatever folks want to do.

[19:54] <randylange> I'd like to go to 10 pm if you're all up for it.

[19:54] <meddle> That'd lift

[19:54] <meddle> Shoot yeah we are!

[19:55] <mudcat21> Great Randy

[19:55] <sg1>that would be great Randy unless we are too worn out

[19:55] <Maven>we're here as long as you are

[19:55] <Tricia> Thanx Randy

[19:55] <slatslock> I'm in

[19:55] <ksahagi> Randy generous as always

[19:55] <john_tobin> Randy Lange is a prince and a legend

[19:56] <randylange> Hermball, that's part of the minicamp approach of the offense, getting to the line quicker. And I've seen Pennington master things enough to know that he'll have the mental part of the Dinger plan down cold. It's just the physical part that will need work.

[19:56] <mudcat21> Who's up?

[19:57] <sg1>j then tobin then dcat

[19:57] <j> Is Derrick Blaylock the long term answer at running back, or are the Jets going to use a first day pick on a running back in the next few years?

[19:57] <meddle> A already smoked "J"

[19:57] <meddle> hey now

[19:57] <friedoniongas> hiya Pete

[19:57] <Rich> thas a roach then

[19:57] <meddle> uh oh

[19:58] <meddle> Who's fried? lol

[19:58] <Maven>damn

[19:58] <friedoniongas> your tailgate metalhead

[19:58] <sg1>calm down, there are senior citizens here

[19:58] <meddle> he heh

[19:58] <randylange> I don't think that's been deterimined yet, although my guess is it's not Blaylock only because he's not a big guy. Could be Cedric Houston, the first to sign. Seems like they've got his thyroid condition under control and he'll get a chance to show if he's got the right stuff.

[20:00] <randylange> Update on my Yankees?

[20:00] <mudcat21> 3-1

[20:00] <Maven>tobes watching no doubt

[20:00] <sg1>losing 3-1 thru 6

[20:01] <meddle> Slats, how were the Pixies?

[20:01] <Maven>guess we go to dcat

[20:01] <slatslock> awesome! better than I expected, and I had high expectations!

[20:01] <meddle> sweet

[20:01] <mudcat21> I'm ready if these guys are asleep

[20:01] <dcat> joined late, sorry if this has been asked, but what's up with John Abraham? any buzz? trade? will he sign the tender and play for the year or will the Jets work a deal with him?

[20:02] <slatslock> I expected more people my age, but it was loaded with kids!

[20:02] <sg1>the purple prince is on deck then speedtrain leads off the second hour

[20:02] <ksahagi> dcat, why no acknowledgement of my FF greatness in your league emails? Where is the love?

[20:03] <Maven>lol

[20:03] <Maven>talkin smack

[20:03] <dcat> it's coming Kay

[20:03] <sg1>Kevin Brown went out with back spasms BTW, randy

[20:03] <randylange> I was just going to prime the pot with a J-Abe nugget. I don't see a trade. If a team were interested, I think we'd know it by now. Neither the Jets nor Tony Agnone, Abe's agent have heard anything decent. But Abe has bought a house near the Jets' complex (I think he's been renting) and is in the area on the weekends while he's in SCarolina and Maryland during the week.

[20:03] <sg1>Jack Wilson jacked Sturze's first pitch out of the yard -- 4-1

[20:04] <randylange> Abe will come in for the start of camp (my prediction). As Donnie Henderson said, there's some principle involved for him, but it's not worth $6 mil. (Actually $6.66 mil tender as franchise taggee.)

[20:04] <randylange> Sturtze back to being Sturtze, I guess.

[20:04] <dcat> need to work a deal to lower that cap hit, right?

[20:04] <ksahagi> So Abe has gone to the Jumbo Elliot school of skipping OTAs

[20:04] <slatslock> I thought he might sign late, and skip the dreaded two-a-days

[20:04] <sg1>purple prince if you are really here

[20:04] <PurplePrince> Randy, you think McGraw will be able to step in for Tongue? Sorry, if already asked.

[20:05] <Maven>nice goin PP.. snapped that right out there

[20:05] <friedoniongas> I would`ve sold Abe for 2 pints of Guinness just before the first playoff game.

[20:05] <randylange> For JAbe, it would be in the Jets' interest to work a longterm deal to reduce the cap number from $6.66M, yes, but my sense is they just don't want to commit longterm dollars and a big signing bonus to a guy who's been available for slightly more than 50 percent of the Jets games the last two seasons.

[20:06] <mudcat21> Top of the order?

[20:06] <Jumba1>.and 1 of 4 playoof games

[20:06] <Maven>speedtrain is up next

[20:06] <friedoniongas> could`ve gotten more outta the 2 pints!

[20:06] <sg1>after Randy answerst the McGraw Question from the princ

[20:07] <randylange> I know McGraw is viewed as the fragile relic of the secondary, but I like him. I think he's bright, fearless, tough. Of course if he can't stay on the field for a season (like Pennington, like JAbraham), then what does it all mean. But I always go back to Phil Simms, who the Giants couldn't keep on the field from 1979-83, then couldn't keep off the field from 1984-89.

[20:07] <slatslock> at least go for the Black Chocolate Stout. 3x the alcohol!

[20:07] <speedtrain> Randy, thanks for giving us so much time. Assuming, for a moment, that the nose tackle situation sorts itself out at a high level of play and, let's say, Quick Draw seizes a starting safety spot, stays healthy and plays well. If such a rosy scenario comes to pass, do you still think Hendu will be limited in terms of his ability to be as aggressive as he would like because of the corner situation

[20:07] <sg1>OK - Round 2 has begun

[20:08] <randylange> Slats, black chocolate stout? What brand?

[20:08] <slatslock> Brooklyn

[20:08] <friedoniongas> *high fives slats*

[20:08] <slatslock> It's a winter seasonal

[20:08] <randylange> Anyone hear of Road Dog? It's a Scottish ale from the Flying Dog Brewery in Denver. Rarely gets east. I'm a big Scottish/stout fan.

[20:09] <friedoniongas> I`ve had McCewans(sp?)

[20:09] <sg1>mudcat is in the ondeck circle, followed by jumba1, slats, ksahagi, meddle, rich, buzzsaw, tricia, hermball, dcat and the prince

[20:09] <meddle> I'm a stout Scottsman.

[20:09] <slatslock> The malty brews... i was always a hop-head

[20:10] <friedoniongas> I`m simply stout. Mostly in the belly.

[20:10] <sg1>Speaking of good stout, I'll be in London end of next week

[20:10] <friedoniongas> lucky you

[20:10] <meddle> lucky us...

[20:10] <randylange> Speedtrain, good analysis. I think without Fergy, Henderson would've been OK on the aggressiveness front with a Ty Law. Donnie Abraham doesn't give that to them, but maybe he doesn't play in the nickel, or plays safety. I think Hendu will blitz no matter what but it depends on cobbling together a decent NT rotation. Pouha looms large here.

[20:10] <slatslock> lol

[20:10] <meddle> (kidding steve)

[20:11] <randylange> McEwan's. Also excellent. I'm not as fond of Bellhaven.

[20:11] <mudcat21> Any inside info on the cause of the near fight between Herm and the RB coach during the playoffs? Speculation was on the use or nonuse of Jordan but there has never been any confirmation of what happened. Would you put your money on Hermie?

[20:12] <mudcat21> good night Tricia

[20:12] <Tricia> Later guys, have a good night!

[20:12] <slatslock> g'nite honey

[20:12] <friedoniongas> bye sweetie

[20:12] <randylange> On the Bish Harris brouhaha, Bish has never commented, nor would Herm. I think Bish was getting LaMont in the game according to the agreed upon rotation and Herm wanted to know why Curtis wans't in there.

[20:13] <Maven>i didn't see him listed either time though steve

[20:13] <mudcat21> Wow it was reported as the other way around

[20:13] <slatslock> RL's version makes more sense

[20:14] <Jumba1> The chocolate stout from Heartland Brewery is nice.

[20:14] <sg1>hermball, that should read

[20:14] <sg1>is that your Q, jumba?

[20:14] <Hermball> I've been known to sample a little herb

[20:15] <friedoniongas> broken glass upstairs. gotta go yell at someone. night all.

[20:15] <sg1>jumba???

[20:15] <Jumba1> Hobson or Brown? Has he won his job back?

[20:15] <randylange> One the most honest things Herm said to me in the off-season was that if the Jets kept Jordan, he (Herm) had to do a better job of getting Jordan in games. But Curt became kind of addictive for Herm. Say what you want about Curtis but he's the kind of guy that coaches want to save in the preseason, then run to death in the RS.

[20:16] <PurplePrince> Curtis is overrated.

[20:16] <mudcat21> Just how honest is Herm or is just all an act

[20:16] <sg1>slats is up next

[20:16] <slatslock> Miscellaneous: Graham or Knorr as punter? Bollinger or Eakin at #3 QB?

[20:16] <mudcat21> EAkin

[20:16] <sg1>shhhhh

[20:17] <randylange> Jumba, that's another hot spot in training camp, but even Mark Brown said on baggie day that he expected Hobson to get his starting job back. DHend is with new players as Herm is with Curtis: If you show you can play and can be relied on, he'll stay with you, even though he should probably work in someone else.

[20:17] <Maven>please let us know if you wish to take a minute or so to rest before the run to 10pm Randy

[20:18] <Maven>or, at any time you might wish to inject somethng to tease your new book

[20:19] <mudcat21> Kids need to print their homework soI have to go. Thanks Randy for the great chat session

[20:19] <sg1>the question on the floor is about punters and #3 QB's

[20:19] <randylange> On Herm's honesty: That's being debated these days. I believe Herm fundamentally wants to tell us the truth, but he also realizes, four years into his gig, that if he's going to be effective as an HC, he may have to withhold the truth, spin it, etc. on occasion. When I asked him privately whether Hackett was gone, he told me, "Don't go there." The next day Hackett was gone.

[20:19] <Maven>i'll have the transcript online before 5am tomorrow morning for those who fall out

[20:19] <randylange> Did Herm mean don't go there, that Hackett wasn't getting fired, that he was resigning and going to TB? I guess.

[20:20] <slatslock> herm didn't want the news broken 'til he broke it

[20:20] <mudcat21> tahnks mark

[20:21] <randylange> On the punter, Slats, close call. I know Graham is knocking the crap out of the football and I feel Knorr would be Year 5 of Mike Westhoff's salvage-the-punter series. But Graham is raw in the ways of American football. 3rd QB: I know Eakin had a good NFL Europe campaign, but I don't see Bollinger being unseated.

[20:21] <sg1>just too late to ruin mudcats evening

[20:21] <randylange> I apologize but I've got a family situation and I need to depart at 9:30.

[20:21] <slatslock> I think mudcat passed out when told Bolly might stick

[20:21] <Maven>good thing jerry didn't see that last one

[20:22] <Maven>ok randy.. you've been more than generous

[20:22] <slatslock> that, or Southpark's on.... lol

[20:22] <Maven>if you'd like to tease your book before you leave, please do so

[20:22] <sg1>ksahagi

[20:22] <ksahagi> With all the noise about the various comings and goings at S (and I agree with your take on McGraw) and at one CB spot with DAbe/Law, it sounds as if on the other side they are pretty happy for the near term with Barrett. Is that the case?

[20:23] <meddle> I have a q ready when needed

[20:24] <randylange> Yeah, Barrett came on. Not surprising since he was in the vast wasteland of ARZ behind the worst pass rush in the league for four years. He's not a total shutdown guy but he was pretty good, especially once he figured Henderson and his system out. Cowhher gave him some love after the playoff game, I think.

[20:24] <sg1>nice of you to spend 45 seconds here, Vilma

[20:24] <Hermball> Thanks Randy , the book is a definite buy!! Good Night All.

[20:25] <ksahagi> So then DAbe/Mickens/law would be considered placeholders for Miller...

[20:25] <sg1>one more from meddle and then Rich if there is time

[20:25] <Maven>we're down to the last 8 mins

[20:25] <randylange> Yeah, on Strait, it seems a little curious, as if he may be struggling with the mental aspects of Donnie's defense, but Donnie and Herm have declared that Strait will specialize at nickel and apparently won't be in the starting CB mix. Yet if he can become polished at the nickel, maybe that's not a bad thing.

[20:26] <sg1>meddle

[20:26] <randylange> As for Miller, he too may wait a while, but that all could depend on how well he assimilates everything in camp. But he or Strait have to start at some point.

[20:26] <Maven>buzz up soon again?

[20:26] <meddle> Randy, have you had a chance to speak with Westhoff? If yes, is he giddy over all young talent drafted the last few years. Lots of potential ST contributors by my count.

[20:27] <ksahagi> Westhoff "giddy", meddle?

[20:27] <Buzzsaw> Randy --- I think we've got one of the best back-up QB's in the league, that said, if Pennington goes down, is our season done?

[20:27] <sg1>Rich then buzz if there is time

[20:27] <Maven>we gonna have to end it with buzz most likely

[20:27] <randylange> Yes, I've talked to Mike, Meddle. He realizes this draft had him in mind. Nugent, Miller, Rhodes, Maddox, Dreessen. And he's the only one of the assistants left if Herm wants to relieve someone of his command next off-season.

[20:28] <Rich> How good is Buffalo this year?--do you think the Jets will beat them out in the division?

[20:28] <meddle> Ouch. Thanks Randy.

[20:28] <sg1>Sturtz just got rocked by Bay

[20:29] <randylange> I like Fiedler's production, too. Even though Fiedler won little and Quincy Carter took Dallas to the playoffs, the difference in experience and not having problems is huge. I think Fiedler will do well if needed for any extended period -- unless the Jets' line begins to look like the Dolphins patchwork of the past several seasons.

[20:29] <Maven>I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you again Randy.. cheers

[20:29] <ksahagi> Seconded

[20:30] <Rich> thirde

[20:30] <Rich> d

[20:30] <meddle> Thanks Randy! You were great - as usual.

[20:30] <dcat> good job Randy... thank you

[20:30] <Buzzsaw> good time, thanks everyone

[20:30] <sg1>Thanks Randy for your time and cooperation. Where can I subscribe to the Record in Queens

[20:30] <slatslock> really, thanks Randy!

[20:30] <randylange> Buffalo will be tough, although Losman is a wild card and (this is probably a minority opinion) I'm not sold on McGahee being the next Jet killer. Yes he did well up there last season, but he needed a lot of carries to do it, as he did in a lot of games. If the Jets run defense holds up, then it's a matter of whether the offense can find soft spots in the Bills' defense, which is formidable

[20:30] <Maven>thanks buzzsaw

[20:30] <Rich> ah--so their d is better than their o

[20:30] mikedav (java@69.165.242.WO783=) left irc: QUIT:

[20:30] <meddle> McGahee breaks easy.

[20:31] <randylange> On the book, I don't know which bookstores or which online services will have it, but I hear Amazon (from you all) and B&N. Should be in print sometime in August, officially available Sept. 1. "Stadium Stories: New York Jets."

EDIT------Amazon Pre-order link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

[20:31] <meddle> Lee Evans is a playmaker

[20:31] <ksahagi> Everyone make sure to buy Randy's book.....at RETAIL!!!

[20:31] <randylange> Yes, Lee Evans looks dangerous. Any last questions?

[20:31] <Maven>I'll link it from our site when i find it randy

[20:31] <meddle> Count me in for at least one copy

[20:31] <PurplePrince> Randy, What's your take on Weis? I read about how great he was with Patriots. But, seem to remember Parcells having to take over playcalling duties for him when with the Jets.

[20:32] <Maven>some wanted autographed?, any chance of that?

[20:32] <meddle> long time ago

[20:32] <meddle> (Prince)

[20:32] <dcat> in a galaxy far far away

[20:33] <dcat> 'nite all

[20:33] <meddle> Later Cat

[20:33] <sg1>Prince is now known as "The Jetfan formerly known as prince

[20:33] <randylange> That has been forgotten, Prince (can I call you Prince?). But I think Charlie got out of that Parcells shadow and has been given credit by Belichick and Brady as being a topnotch DC who's worthy of a top job such as ND. Yet I'm still not sure how the Patriots' offense got it done (except for Brady). Before Dillon it was Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk, then there was the tag team at WR.

[20:33] <randylange> Either Charlie's a genius or it's all Brady and they got him re-signed at a bargain.

[20:34] <Maven>lol

[20:34] <sg1>Thanks Randy -- you are much much smarter than Cannizzaro

[20:34] <Maven>lol

[20:34] <meddle> It'll be damn interesting with Belly calling the offensive plays.

[20:34] <randylange> Thanks, everyone, as always for making me feel welcome. We'll talk again in August.

[20:34] <ksahagi> Yeah, but Cannizzaro got to play Augusta

[20:34] <Maven>thanks randy!!

20:11] <mudcat21> Any inside info on the cause of the near fight between Herm and the RB coach during the playoffs? Speculation was on the use or nonuse of Jordan but there has never been any confirmation of what happened. Would you put your money on Hermie?

[20:12] <randylange> On the Bish Harris brouhaha, Bish has never commented, nor would Herm. I think Bish was getting LaMont in the game according to the agreed upon rotation and Herm wanted to know why Curtis wans't in there.

I found this very intersting because most of the press at the time speculated the opposite that Hermie wanted to get Jordon in the game. Seems Hermie is full of $hit as ussual in saying he wanted to get Jordan more carries.

I like to see what Rashad Washington can do this year- McGraw has proven can not stay healthy

I think the Jets drafting a couple of safeties shows they were not really sold on any one back there

Great job, mudact. Really good stuff. You guys have a gem with that Lange connection. Great work.

Observations:

1) I agree with mudcat about it being curious that Harris may have been defending Lamont. Given that Lamont didn't get in the game, you would have to think that this was the case. After all, if the HC wants Lamont in, why wouldn't he be in? Like Bishop Harris has that much pull? Herm is an idiot, again.

2) People just have to get off of Cimini's jock. All you f*cking sunshine-ass Jets fans have to wake the f*ck up and realize that your team IS, in fact, a second-class citizen, and until they get their own stadium and start making some noise in the playoffs and winning some rings, they'll always be ass-clowns. That is the truth. Because Cimini realizes this and tells it like it is and doesn't act like the Jets have won 10 championships, and he doesn't kiss Herm's ass like Cannizzaro, and he doesn't sugar-coat it when their star quarterback comes out and acts like a jackass, he takes heat. But as we saw in our chat, he stands behind his positions and doesn't back down. Get a f*cking grip on reality, people. If you hate Cimini for telling you that the Jets have not, in fact, won a ring in almost 4 decades because they run that organization most of the time like a bunch of rhesus monkeys, that's your prerogative. But let's not act like the guy is a blatant liar or that he skews the truth. You know what skewing the truth is? It's coming out and saying that Herman is a "top five coach." Skewing the truth is saying that you'll be "very disappointed" if the Jets were lying about the CHad injury--which they did--and turning tail and defending them for it. If you want sunshine blown up your ass, good luck. Read the Post.

3) It was also interesting that Lange clarified the Chad throwing thing. It's clearly a matter of semantics. To me, soft tossing a football on a sidelime is not "throwing." We all know what throwing is--taking snaps and hitting receivers in stride. Soft-tossing is nothing. That means he can raise his arm above his shoulder. So can I. I am not ready to take snaps for the Jets at QB. Neither, <gasp> is Chad.

4) If Johnny Abe wants to bitch about getting $6.6 mil because Coles got a fat deal, I swear to God, cut him. The guy cannot be a bigger f'ing cancer if he tried.

5) Chas Gessner? Could be interesting. I also like the Dinger TE stat--three TE's with 25 grabs? That's pretty amazing. Unfortunately, we don't have any TE's that are as good as Tennessee's third TE.

Did you guys read what I just read? That was AWFUL! Just Awful! Hard to follow, unorganized and not especially informative. Cripes - you guys look like world champs with your chat compared to this fiasco. It sucked. C'mon, you suck-up's admit it. Horrible!

Pisses me off the Pats couldn't find a way to keep this guy.

Indeed, he can be a big sleeper.

Goes to show how much better 1 orginization is running than the other right now.

Seriously though, who the hell is that. I swear it was not me, and I would like to know why my name was involved...

Did you guys read what I just read? That was AWFUL! Just Awful! Hard to follow, unorganized and not especially informative. Cripes - you guys look like world champs with your chat compared to this fiasco. It sucked. C'mon, you suck-up's admit it. Horrible!

Garb, when you get hijackers and chirpers in your chats, it's amazingly difficult to control. In our chat, Max played traffic cop while I tried to moderate the chat. Thank God our posters were cool, otherwise they could have easily over-run the chat. It's almost impossible to control it. It all depends on the people who show up to it, and how willing they are to let the Reporter/Guest shine and how much they themselves try to hijack the chat and pretend that they are the show. Especially fellow pencil-pushers talking shop. :lol:

I thought they did a great job on Tobin considering the personalities that showed up for the chat.

there you go stirring things up again huh Garb

Tom and Max did a great job with the chat with Cimini. Cimini did not give out fluff too- whether you like the guy or not he answered the questions that were given- showed he is not a paid hack for jetnation

Looking for Tobin to link you or something? There are plenty of "tools" here, but you and Max managed it quite well. I don't care what you say - that SUCKED. Seriously, JI has more "tools" on it than any Sports site I've ever seen - and even they couldn't be as bad as that. Terrible.

P.S. the book tour is coming soon.... :wink:

Next time I'll edit it before I post it. What do you know about chat sessions anyway Garb?

Mudcat...you did a great job over there. I actually stopped in when it started but I couldn't hang around.

Randy Lange seems like a real good guy and having him lined up is a great catch.

Don't worry about Garb's criticism. She is a Pats fan for crying out loud.

Like I said earlier. Keep up the good work.

Looking for Tobin to link you or something? There are plenty of "tools" here, but you and Max managed it quite well. I don't care what you say - that SUCKED. Seriously, JI has more "tools" on it than any Sports site I've ever seen - and even they couldn't be as bad as that. Terrible.

P.S. the book tour is coming soon.... :wink:

Say what you will, woman. They got about 1 million times the info from Lange than we even tried to broach with Cimini. I wish our chat "sucked" that bad.

My Thoughts

1. I definitely think Gessner could be a good sleeper for us, I liked that pickup from the start.

2. I honestly think Wayne Chrebet will be an extremely solid #3 WR for the Jets this year

3. Limolady makes me wanna punch a wall

4. Randy Lange should totally come here for a chat. Mud, hook us up brah.

5. It really surprises me that we're still talking to Law. It surprises me so much that I think there actually may be some substance to this speculation. It will be really interesting to see in the coming weeks what happens with Ty.

2. I honestly think Wayne Chrebet will be an extremely solid #3 WR for the Jets this year

This would be a huge screw up on the part of Hermy if he begins the season with Chrebet the #3 WR.

Why not give Cotchery more playing time (he is far more explosive and could make bigger palys than Chrebet)and bring Chrebet in when they go with a 4 and 5-wide WR set?

As a Pats fan, the more Chrebet is on the field, the happier I am. :wink:

Everyone here is welcome to come over when we have Randy in again. He mentioned probably in August after watching training camp would be a good time to return.

Thanks Mudcat for the invitation- it is not as easy as it seems to have a chat with a professional journalist - Max and TS can tell you

This would be a huge screw up on the part of Hermy if he begins the season with Chrebet the #3 WR.

Why not give Cotchery more playing time (he is far more explosive and could make bigger palys than Chrebet)and bring Chrebet in when they go with a 4 and 5-wide WR set?

As a Pats fan, the more Chrebet is on the field, the happier I am. :wink:

Like Randy said, Chrebet was completely wasted by Hackett. In an imaginative offense (which... hopefully Heimerdinger can create?) Chrebet becomes one of the best underneath/3rd down threats in the league. You can't deny all the times he's killed you TX. If he's as fresh as he claims he is and is as sharp as everyone says he's been in practice, he will EASILY be our #3, and he will be effective.

It's when Chrebet doesn't have to be relied on (Coles & McCareins) that he becomes a dangerous player. You have to give him that

EB50....our software makes you login to the chat room. I knew if we didn't do that Tx would take our name and our transcript would read like this:

EB50: Yo, you are a doooshie.

I have absolutely no idea what that post means.

Archived