Miami starting QB up in the air right now

faba

Frerotte-Feeley battle will be decided in camp

DAVIE, Fla. - The Miami Dolphins will go into next month's training camp without a clear front-runner in the team's latest quarterback battle.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said Thursday that neither newcomer Gus Frerotte nor incumbent starter A.J. Feeley has been chosen as the team's starter for this year's season-opener against Denver, and that the decision hinges on how they play in training camp.

"That's what the training camp going into the season is going to be for, establishing who that person's going to be," Linehan said. "That really wasn't the intent of our offseason program."

Feeley completed 191 of 356 passes last season, his first in Miami, for 1,893 yards, 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. Frerotte, now with his sixth NFL club, threw just one pass as Daunte Culpepper's backup in Minnesota last season, and hasn't been a regular starter since 1997 with Washington.

Frerotte does, however, have extensive experience in the Dolphins' offense -- since it's largely the one used by Linehan over the past two seasons, when he was the Vikings' offensive coordinator.

That doesn't necessarily mean Frerotte will rate any edge in the quarterback race, Linehan said.

"There's no favorites in coaching," Linehan said. "You're going to play who's going to be able to go out there and execute and do what you expect. I'm fond of all the guys. I think they've done exactly what we've asked to this point, and more."

Linehan said he wanted to see Feeley both improve and learn the new system during the team's offseason program, and gave him high marks on both counts.

"He's certainly got some exceptional talent as far as throwing the ball," Linehan said. "He's still relatively young as a quarterback and so he's learning. ... I'm very happy with where he's at, at this point."

Archived