Jaguars Del Rio wants reporters to be homers for his team

faba

Del Rio view is nothing to cheer about

By GENE FRENETTE, Times-Union columnist

It was one of those oh-by-the-way comments thrown into a radio interview, something Jack Del Rio wanted to get off his chest. A nerve was struck and the Jaguars' head coach seized the moment to make a point about how the local media should treat his football team.

Del Rio all but instructed those of us covering the NFL franchise to, if not wave black-and-teal pom-poms, then at least do our part to support the Jaguars' cause.

I realize NFL head coaches are, by nature, control freaks and they'd love for media types to be an extension of their public relations staff. And some, particularly those paid by the Jaguars to serve as in-house media, do write and verbalize issues that are often slanted toward the team's point of view.

Nothing wrong with that, especially since announcers Brian Sexton, Jeff Lageman and jaguars.com senior editor Vic Ketchman also provide football insight without appearing to be total homers.

But for Del Rio to publicly state to WFJX (930) sports-talk show host Mike Dempsey last week that he expects people covering the team on a regular basis to essentially cheer for the Jaguars is astonishing. His statement didn't leave any wiggle room for misinterpretation.

Del Rio was responding to Dempsey's life-long affection for the New York Jets when he declared: "What I believe is that anybody that covers our football team in our city of Jacksonville ought to be pulling for, and rooting for, and considered a Jaguars guy, and be a Jaguars guy."

This is what matters: As a 20-year league veteran, one who has played or coached in seven NFL cities, Del Rio should know that there are certain journalistic boundaries that can't be crossed. For anyone covering the team to pull for, or root for, the Jaguars is as big a no-no in our business as the Detroit Pistons leaving Robert Horry open for a 3-pointer with an NBA championship on the line.

Granted, the media has its biases like everyone else, and some are guilty of straying into cheerleader mode. But I believe most of us strive to be objective, which means that both praise and criticism of the Jaguars should be delivered based on the performance of its players and coaches.

It's not our job to prop the Jaguars up or pull them down. But part of our responsibility is to sit in judgment of the teams we cover, especially an NFL franchise earning millions of dollars to succeed. And try to be fair and accurate in doing so. Del Rio may not always agree with our views, and he has vented to myself and Times-Union colleagues on occasion, but he cannot honestly expect us to root for the Jaguars. To do that is to violate the professionalism by which our industry is suppose to be governed.

Maybe instead of instructing the media to fill space and air time with patronizing coverage, Del Rio should use his media platform to implore fans -- you know, the ones with a rooting interest -- to fill a shrinking Alltel Stadium. With 9,700 seats being covered up this season, it seems to me having a full house at home games is more critical for this team than a coach suggesting the media get on his bandwagon.

If it'll make Del Rio feel any better, I expect the Jaguars to go 10-6 this season and make the playoffs. But, truthfully, whether they get there or fall short makes no difference to me. News flash, Jack: that's how it should be.

Note the one guy he is calling out roots for our Jets

I'll say it again: Homer journalism is a scourge. Does anyone go to YES if they really want to know what's going on with the Yanks? Does anyone listen to Michael Kay to get real insight into the Yanks? Will Mike Fransceca ever crtiticize George Steinbrennner again? Does anyone read Mark Cannizzaro for objective criticism of Herm "top five" Edwards? That's why I loved Dave Jennings as an announcer for Jets games. If Gowin shanked a punt, Jennings told you it was a shank. If the pay-calling was awful, Jennings said it was awful.

I. Hate. Homers.

I despise them. If DelRio wants reporters to write positive things about his team, then DelRio should put a winner on the field. DelRio should figure out how to get his QB to complete more than 15% of his passes. DelRio should figure out how to get his team in the end zone. That's when you get good pub.

If DelRio wants reporters to write positive things about his team, then DelRio should put a winner on the field. DelRio should figure out how to get his QB to complete more than 15% of his passes. DelRio should figure out how to get his team in the end zone. That's when you get good pub.

Exactly!!!!!

DelRio is actually a decent coach and an up and comer. Was the "Ax" motivation tactic a good one? Hindsight says no....but this guy is a good coach. Put it this way - I think he's a better coach than Hermie.

DelRio is actually a decent coach and an up and comer. Was the "Ax" motivation tactic a good one? Hindsight says no....but this guy is a good coach. Put it this way - I think he's a better coach than Hermie.

How many times has Jacksonville been in the playoffs with Del Rio?

I rest my case.

Archived