Larry Johnson out for season

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edwards: Johnson's return against Broncos 'highly unlikely'

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says it's "highly unlikely" that Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson will play Sunday against Denver.

Johnson sustained what the Chiefs are calling a mid-foot injury to his right foot when he was tackled from behind after a short gain in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 33-22 loss to Green Bay. He was helped off the field by two trainers and was unable to put any weight on the foot.

The fifth-year back, who set an NFL record last season with 416 carries, has been off to a slow start after missing camp before signing a six-year, $45 million contract. Johnson ranks 14th in the league with 559 yards rushing, averaging 3.5 yards per carry with three touchdowns. The Chiefs running game had rebounded of late, as Johnson recorded 100-plus yards in three of the four previous games prior to the injury.

Priest Holmes, 34, has made an amazing and unexpected comeback after missing almost two years with a spine injury, and will move up in the depth chart. He will share time with rookie Kolby Smith.

Even with Johnson, Kansas City ranks 30th in the NFL with 79.5 rushing yards per game.

bcc28f112b60eaf0fca96834fa334dea.50.jpgJohnson Out For The Season

A source within the Chiefs organization is reporting that RB Larry Johnson is done for the season after suffering a foot injury against the Packers.

Apparently what was thought to be a sprain turned out to be a broken bone in his foot. Expect RB Priest Holmes to get most of the carries going forward, with RB Kolby Smith as the backup. The team is likely going to go out and get another running back for depth.

Herm told reporters and compared this situation with Larry Johnson to "a bagel that you leave in the toaster that gets burnt. Sometimes you leave it in there for too long and it gets burned. Then you try to scrape the burnt off and put some cream cheese on it and eat it anyways because its the only bagel you got."

Now the Chiefs need a new bagel.

yahoosports.com, chiefs page.

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=4851381&version=7&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

KANSAS CITY - Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson is out for the season with a broken right foot.

This was confirmed by a source within the Chiefs organization with direct knowledge of the situation.

According to the Chiefs initially, Johnson had suffered a mid-foot sprain in the fourth quarter of last Sunday's 33-22 loss to the Packers. However, it was later determined that Johnson had suffered a fracture.

According to the source, Johnson is seeking a second opinion on the injury. He arrived at the Chief's practice facility on crutches Tuesday.

So far this season, Johnson has rushed 158 times for 559 yards. That total has Johnson ranked 14th in the league-just behind Travis Henry who’s 13th with 580 yards.

While this injury is bad news for Johnson, it’s a bright spot for the Denver Broncos who’s last ranked rush defense who won’t have to face him this coming weekend.

Herm actually paced him this year. He's right around middle of the pack. Blaming Herm for this injury is just an agenda. Blame AJ Hawk.

Sorry, he's actually tied for 6th in attempts/game. Not really middle of the pack but still he is not being overworked like last year.

We all saw this coming though. Glad LJ got his money in the offseason, it would be a crime if he was still on his rookie contract.

Herm actually paced him this year. He's right around middle of the pack. Blaming Herm for this injury is just an agenda. Blame AJ Hawk.

Paced him? All he did was ease him in the first 2 games b/c he held out all summer. After that:

24 carries

25 carries

9 carries (killed by Jax)

31 carries

24 carries

19 carries (until the injury)

What is that, 22 carries per game? Quite the breather from the 26 carries per game he got last year. He's not "pacing" him at all. The Chiefs have simply run the ball less. He was still getting over 90% of the carries.

Sorry, he's actually tied for 6th in attempts/game. Not really middle of the pack but still he is not being overworked like last year.

We all saw this coming though. Glad LJ got his money in the offseason, it would be a crime if he was still on his rookie contract.

Herm paced him because he held out for money and wasn't ready for the full workload....not because he was being smart.

that was stupid. You should've consulted me first and I could've told you!

A lot of the top picks especially running backs turned out to be busts, but Larry Johnson I 100% knew would happen.

It was my first draft in about 5 years. i really didn't want that pick either, I picked I think 4th. Jackson would not have been any better, but I think he went #2 anyway. Addai would have been my best bet but he went #3.

I wanted to get Brady and Moss but they were taken the spot right before me each time that I had them queued. I admit I missed out on AP, but who knew he would be this good?

It was my first draft in about 5 years. i really didn't want that pick either, I picked I think 4th. Jackson would not have been any better, but I think he went #2 anyway. Addai would have been my best bet but he went #3.

I wanted to get Brady and Moss but they were taken the spot right before me each time that I had them queued. I admit I missed out on AP, but who knew he would be this good?

I did. I drafted Adrian Peterson. I did get Gore in the first but I was stuck drafting 4th. The 2 and 3 picks were Jackson and Johnson.

Gore has been a disappointment but better him than some of the others.

Herm told reporters and compared this situation with Larry Johnson to "a bagel that you leave in the toaster that gets burnt. Sometimes you leave it in there for too long and it gets burned. Then you try to scrape the burnt off and put some cream cheese on it and eat it anyways because its the only bagel you got."

Now the Chiefs need a new bagel.

yahoosports.com, chiefs page.

he musta been smoking some danks

Paced him? All he did was ease him in the first 2 games b/c he held out all summer. After that:

24 carries

25 carries

9 carries (killed by Jax)

31 carries

24 carries

19 carries (until the injury)

What is that, 22 carries per game? Quite the breather from the 26 carries per game he got last year. He's not "pacing" him at all. The Chiefs have simply run the ball less. He was still getting over 90% of the carries.

22 carries a game is very reasonable for a featured back - especially an elite one like Larry Johnson.

Not trying to defend Herm but 4 less carries a game is actually substantial.

22 carries a game is very reasonable for a featured back - especially an elite one like Larry Johnson.

Not trying to defend Herm but 4 less carries a game is actually substantial.

It's a high number. Just because there are others who do it annually doesn't cease to make it a high number (though last year he was the only player to carry over 350x & he was given 416). That's like saying 4000 passing yards is reasonable for a quarterback. Most HB's do not carry the ball >350x per year. And that "pace" was only b/c KC stopped running the ball vs Jax. Not because Herm was pacing him. The other games he got between 24-31 carries (he got injured after carry #19 the last game or it would have been more of the same). The only thing "reasonable" is to expect that player to get injured. Particularly after a season where he carried 416 times in 16 games.

It's a high number. Just because there are others who do it annually doesn't cease to make it a high number (though last year he was the only player to carry over 350x & he was given 416). That's like saying 4000 passing yards is reasonable for a quarterback. Most HB's do not carry the ball >350x per year. And that "pace" was only b/c KC stopped running the ball vs Jax. Not because Herm was pacing him. The other games he got between 24-31 carries (he got injured after carry #19 the last game or it would have been more of the same). The only thing "reasonable" is to expect that player to get injured. Particularly after a season where he carried 416 times in 16 games.

The injury was not one that was caused by fatigue or a let down because he was tired.

The injury happened because his ankle got caught underneath of a tackle.

The injury would have happened if it would have been carry number 10 of the season, or carry number 350 of the season.

The only way that you can maintain that this was an injury caused by overwork, is that you expose a player more, simply by mopre touches that he has. But that is a case of odds, not overwork.

If you want to tell me that the number of carries will shorten a players career, I can buy into that.

But this was not an "overwork" injury.

The injury was not one that was caused by fatigue or a let down because he was tired.

The injury happened because his ankle got caught underneath of a tackle.

The injury would have happened if it would have been carry number 10 of the season, or carry number 350 of the season.

The only way that you can maintain that this was an injury caused by overwork, is that you expose a player more, simply by mopre touches that he has. But that is a case of odds, not overwork.

If you want to tell me that the number of carries will shorten a players career, I can buy into that.

But this was not an "overwork" injury.

Let me live! Why won't you let me live?

Archived