Saban cautious about Ricky Williams

faba

Saban is cautious on Ricky's return

By Harvey Fialkov

Staff writer

Posted June 24 2005

DAVIE -- Coach Nick Saban winced when he was asked Thursday if he had spoken to unpredictable running back Ricky Williams.

Asked the same question last month, his answer made national news, and the fallout nearly spoiled a family vacation.

"I've been to my cottage in [Clayton] Georgia one time, right? So I answer the question in one of these roundtables and then ... ," Saban paused while jokingly recounting the firestorm when he let it slip that Williams was "very, very interested" in returning to the Dolphins.

"We've been apart for six months. ... I spend the next five hours putting fires out about saying whether I talked to Ricky Williams or not. So you think I'm going to tell you that now? Because I'm going to Georgia again tomorrow night."

Still, Saban reiterated his support of Williams, who is reportedly back in South Florida working toward a return within a few days of the start of training camp on July 24.

"I basically believe in people," Saban said. "I'm always willing to try to support and help people in what they want to do until they give me some reason not to do that."

The NFL and NFL Players Association denied having recent conversations with Williams regarding reinstatement. Both organizations believe Williams would have to sit out the first four games for violating the league's drug policy for the third time last summer.

Saban doesn't figure Williams' return would be a distraction.

"No, but I think that it's going to be up to the team not to allow it to be [a circus] and to focus on what we need to focus on as a team to be successful," Saban said. "It only matters if we let it matter."

WRIGHT STUFF

Saban confirmed that Southern Cal defensive tackle Manuel Wright would visit team headquarters today.

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound Wright, who entered the July 14 supplemental draft after being declared academically ineligible at USC last week, has been projected as a third- or fourth-round pick.

"I think the evaluation is he played behind two really good players that were both drafted, and to find out if he has the right stuff to be a consistent performer," Saban said.

Wright, who started two games last season as a sophomore, mostly backed up All-American Shaun Cody. Wright had 23 tackles, six for losses, and recovered two fumbles in 11 games.

The drawback is that if the Dolphins select Wright, they would have to forfeit a corresponding draft pick next April.

Whatever it takes

Saban, who has traveled the country in search of talent, took it another step last week when his family vacationed in Croatia.

"I served mass and rang bells and did all that stuff," said Saban, who is of Croatian descent. "It was a learning experience.

"Don't think I wasn't looking [for defensive tackles]."

Also, Saban confirmed that he would meet with former Titans safety Lance Schulters today.

Archived