Is Askew Our New Short Yardage Back?!?

MiamiJet

I don't think this should surprise anyone. I also think Cedric Houston will get a good share of short yardage chances.....

From Ms. Cimini:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3719710

Jets Team Report

Bitch Cimini /

Posted: 10 hours ago

One of the objectives in training camp is to find a new short yardage back to replace LaMont Jordan, who signed with the Raiders. The Jets will miss Jordan's power. The best candidate on the roster is backup FB B.J. Askew (6-3, 233), who has the size needed to move piles. Askew, a former third-round pick, didn't get much of an opportunity to play in his first two seasons, but this could be his breakthrough year.

Ostensibly, the Jets replaced Jordan by signing former Chief Derrick Blaylock (5-9, 210), but he's too small to be a short-yardage back. If all else fails, Curtis Martin could handle it, but they'd rather not put more on his plate. . . .

MLB Jonathan Vilma, the 2004 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, is expected to take on a bigger leadership role. Don't be surprised if he emerges quickly as the quarterback of the defense. He came in quietly last season, mindful of his rookie status. Now, after a productive offseason in which he worked out with the team (a rarity for a University of Miami product), Vilma is ready to become the leader of the defense.

SCOUTING REPORT: John Abraham gets most of the headlines, but Shaun Ellis is the better, all-around player. Ellis is a very good two-way end, capable of playing the run just as effectively as the pass. He's a powerful player with deceptive quickness. He isn't a speed rusher, but he has enough speed to beat tackles and enough strength to defeat guards. His greatest attribute is his durability, having missed only one game in five seasons.

SOMETHING TO PROVE: FS Glass Jaw McGraw. This could be his final chance to validate his draft status (second-round pick, 2002). The talent is there, but McGraw simply can't stay healthy, having missed 16 games the last two seasons. He underwent groin surgery after the season, but he's expected to be ready for training camp. His best-case scenario: He wins the starting job opposite Erik Coleman. Failing that, McGraw could be used in the dime, where he excels in coverage against tight ends.

INSIDE DISH: Former offensive coordinator Paul Hackett was vilified in New York for his conservative playcalling, but the critics sometimes forgot that he took his marching orders from coach Herman Edwards. Now, with a new, aggressive coordinator on the staff (Mike Heimerdinger), the question becomes: Will Edwards let him run his own show? If Edwards treats Heimerdinger the way he handled defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, hired last season, the answer should be yes. Edwards gave Henderson plenty of space. If Edwards responded that way to a coach with no previous coordinator experience, he shouldn't have any problems with an experienced coach such as Heimerdinger.

RUNNING BACK ANALYSIS: Grade: A-minus Curtis Martin, 32, the reigning NFL rushing champ, will slow down sooner or later. Bet on later.

I don't think this should surprise anyone. I also think Cedric Houston will get a good share of short yardage chances.....

From Ms. Cimini:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3719710

Jets Team Report

Bitch Cimini /

Posted: 10 hours ago

One of the objectives in training camp is to find a new short yardage back to replace LaMont Jordan, who signed with the Raiders. The Jets will miss Jordan's power. The best candidate on the roster is backup FB B.J. Askew (6-3, 233), who has the size needed to move piles. Askew, a former third-round pick, didn't get much of an opportunity to play in his first two seasons, but this could be his breakthrough year.

Ostensibly, the Jets replaced Jordan by signing former Chief Derrick Blaylock (5-9, 210), but he's too small to be a short-yardage back. If all else fails, Curtis Martin could handle it, but they'd rather not put more on his plate. . . .

MLB Jonathan Vilma, the 2004 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, is expected to take on a bigger leadership role. Don't be surprised if he emerges quickly as the quarterback of the defense. He came in quietly last season, mindful of his rookie status. Now, after a productive offseason in which he worked out with the team (a rarity for a University of Miami product), Vilma is ready to become the leader of the defense.

SCOUTING REPORT: John Abraham gets most of the headlines, but Shaun Ellis is the better, all-around player. Ellis is a very good two-way end, capable of playing the run just as effectively as the pass. He's a powerful player with deceptive quickness. He isn't a speed rusher, but he has enough speed to beat tackles and enough strength to defeat guards. His greatest attribute is his durability, having missed only one game in five seasons.

SOMETHING TO PROVE: FS Glass Jaw McGraw. This could be his final chance to validate his draft status (second-round pick, 2002). The talent is there, but McGraw simply can't stay healthy, having missed 16 games the last two seasons. He underwent groin surgery after the season, but he's expected to be ready for training camp. His best-case scenario: He wins the starting job opposite Erik Coleman. Failing that, McGraw could be used in the dime, where he excels in coverage against tight ends.

INSIDE DISH: Former offensive coordinator Paul Hackett was vilified in New York for his conservative playcalling, but the critics sometimes forgot that he took his marching orders from coach Herman Edwards. Now, with a new, aggressive coordinator on the staff (Mike Heimerdinger), the question becomes: Will Edwards let him run his own show? If Edwards treats Heimerdinger the way he handled defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, hired last season, the answer should be yes. Edwards gave Henderson plenty of space. If Edwards responded that way to a coach with no previous coordinator experience, he shouldn't have any problems with an experienced coach such as Heimerdinger.

RUNNING BACK ANALYSIS: Grade: A-minus Curtis Martin, 32, the reigning NFL rushing champ, will slow down sooner or later. Bet on later.

Ostensibly, the Jets replaced Jordan by signing former Chief Derrick Blaylock (5-9, 210), but he's too small to be a short-yardage back. If all else fails, Curtis Martin could handle it, but they'd rather not put more on his plate. .

IF blaylock is too small , how the hell can martin handle it???arent they pretty much the same size???

Ostensibly, the Jets replaced Jordan by signing former Chief Derrick Blaylock (5-9, 210), but he's too small to be a short-yardage back. If all else fails, Curtis Martin could handle it, but they'd rather not put more on his plate. .

IF blaylock is too small , how the hell can martin handle it???arent they pretty much the same size???

Start Askew at fullback and give Cedric Houston those 3rd and 2 runs. Trust me, Houston is far more than just a short yardage back. He's bigger, stronger and faster than Curtis Martin. Not to mention Cedric knows when and how to use a stiff arm in the open field......HOO WAA!!!

Start Askew at fullback and give Cedric Houston those 3rd and 2 runs. Trust me, Houston is far more than just a short yardage back. He's bigger, stronger and faster than Curtis Martin. Not to mention Cedric knows when and how to use a stiff arm in the open field......HOO WAA!!!

I agree with Barton, which makes me puke. Askew is not a physical blocker or runner, but he can be a nice player if given the chance. He's a slower Najeh Davenport. I think Curtis is going to be the short yardage back. Size helps, but it's no predictor of success. One of the best short yardage backs ever was Marcus Allen, who was a twig. Freeman was also great in short yardage situations. It's as much about vision as it is about power.

I agree with Barton, which makes me puke. Askew is not a physical blocker or runner, but he can be a nice player if given the chance. He's a slower Najeh Davenport. I think Curtis is going to be the short yardage back. Size helps, but it's no predictor of success. One of the best short yardage backs ever was Marcus Allen, who was a twig. Freeman was also great in short yardage situations. It's as much about vision as it is about power.

I have faith in ASKEW and I believe he will be a big surprise this year. But the best part of the article is: =D>=D>=D>=D> INSIDE DISH: Former offensive coordinator Paul Hackett was vilified in New York for his conservative playcalling, but the critics sometimes forgot that he took his marching orders from coach Herman Edwards. Now, with a new, aggressive coordinator on the staff (Mike Heimerdinger), the question becomes: Will Edwards let him run his own show? If Edwards treats Heimerdinger the way he handled defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, hired last season, the answer should be yes. Edwards gave Henderson plenty of space. If Edwards responded that way to a coach with no previous coordinator experience, he shouldn't have any problems with an experienced coach such as Heimerdinger

PS: I also think that CEDRIC HOUSTON will do a great job when called upon by HUMDINGER! :P

I have faith in ASKEW and I believe he will be a big surprise this year. But the best part of the article is: =D>=D>=D>=D> INSIDE DISH: Former offensive coordinator Paul Hackett was vilified in New York for his conservative playcalling, but the critics sometimes forgot that he took his marching orders from coach Herman Edwards. Now, with a new, aggressive coordinator on the staff (Mike Heimerdinger), the question becomes: Will Edwards let him run his own show? If Edwards treats Heimerdinger the way he handled defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, hired last season, the answer should be yes. Edwards gave Henderson plenty of space. If Edwards responded that way to a coach with no previous coordinator experience, he shouldn't have any problems with an experienced coach such as Heimerdinger

PS: I also think that CEDRIC HOUSTON will do a great job when called upon by HUMDINGER! :P

hmmm not sure if i'm comfortable with a rookie running in an obvious situation & risking a fumble. curtis never fumbles.

Well Askew hasn't been put in for more than a couple plays the last 3 seasons, So what's the difference? He has about as much NFL experience as Houston.

Besides, if there's anyone you want to throw into the fire right away, it's a rookie running back. You'd have a case if we were talking about sending him in to block, but I'd rather take my chances with Houston than Martin at the goalline, quite honestly. Curtis doesn't fumble, sure, but he doesn't score goalline TD's very often, either.

hmmm not sure if i'm comfortable with a rookie running in an obvious situation & risking a fumble. curtis never fumbles.

Well Askew hasn't been put in for more than a couple plays the last 3 seasons, So what's the difference? He has about as much NFL experience as Houston.

Besides, if there's anyone you want to throw into the fire right away, it's a rookie running back. You'd have a case if we were talking about sending him in to block, but I'd rather take my chances with Houston than Martin at the goalline, quite honestly. Curtis doesn't fumble, sure, but he doesn't score goalline TD's very often, either.

Typical DFat.

Making a tackle 7 yards downfield.

tx please attach your testicles along with your next post so we can kick them :lol:

80- martins goaline stats are misleading & I never offered askew as an option to carry the ball in that situation

Typical DFat.

Making a tackle 7 yards downfield.

tx please attach your testicles along with your next post so we can kick them :lol:

80- martins goaline stats are misleading & I never offered askew as an option to carry the ball in that situation

Misleading? He either scores TD's in the Red Zone or he doesn't. Martin doesn't. Where's the gray matter in that? :shock:

No, you didn't mention Askew as the best option, you said Martin. Martin is a slasher, not a bruiser, and nor is Blaylock. Therefore, Houston becomes our best option. Why did we draft Houston if we don't plan on possibly using him?

Misleading? He either scores TD's in the Red Zone or he doesn't. Martin doesn't. Where's the gray matter in that? :shock:

No, you didn't mention Askew as the best option, you said Martin. Martin is a slasher, not a bruiser, and nor is Blaylock. Therefore, Houston becomes our best option. Why did we draft Houston if we don't plan on possibly using him?

the gray area is that lamont got the ball a lot in the redzone. I don't feel strongly enough about who should get the ball on short yardage. Tiki Barber gets it done for the giants on short yardage & curtis is as good as anyone at slipping thru a hole thats hardly there at all.

the gray area is that lamont got the ball a lot in the redzone. I don't feel strongly enough about who should get the ball on short yardage. Tiki Barber gets it done for the giants on short yardage & curtis is as good as anyone at slipping thru a hole thats hardly there at all.

I have an odd feeling that Houston might just win the "Short Yardage" job in camp for 2005. I actually like Askew, and think he could offer us some production, but I like this Houston kid. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got.

I have an odd feeling that Houston might just win the "Short Yardage" job in camp for 2005. I actually like Askew, and think he could offer us some production, but I like this Houston kid. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got.

Reading this post makes me think:

I can't wait for camp to start.

Archived