2008 NY Jets Defensive Coordinator candidates

SouthernJet

I will start:

someone agressive,,no pro experience, but a helluva DC..

Jon Tenuta..probably out of jib since Gailey got canned as Georgia Tech HC...,

if we stay on the NFL front,,

can we get Rex Ryan from Baltimore?? Do we have to promote him to assistand HC? demote westhoff??

Anyone but Sutton....If John Fox gets canned I think he's worth a look @.

good point,,

i think fox gets canned if cowher tells richardson, panthers owner, he is ready for 2008,,

i hear cowher wants back in in 2009, and the panthers will let fox ride one year waiting for cowher

I don't understand why when the season is over that we don't throw a draft pick at the Raiders for their DC Ryan. He is Mangini's very good buddy and is exactly what we need to fire up our defense! Plus, the Raiders blow. Why force the guy to stay another year or so?

Ryan is 100% Mangini's boy from their days back with the Pats!

I will start:

can we get Rex Ryan from Baltimore?? Do we have to promote him to assistand HC? demote westhoff??

Right now I'd let Judy Tenuta give it a go.

Well since Romeo isn't going anywhere in Cleveland now, John Fox is someone we should take a serious look at since it looks like he may be on his way out in Carolina. If so, there is no reason why Tangini shouldn't go after him.

Raiders head coach, Lane Kiffin is apparently talking to Arkansas about HC opening,,

that might mean DC Ryan would be available if new coach hired in oakland,, unless he is tabbed as new coach

didn't Ryan get a new contract after the last stiff out there was fired?

• 3 weeks later...
I will start:

timely bump...

Rex Ryan??

Rob Ryan??

Jim Haslett??

Ron Rivera??

I've said this before, but the Jets will not be signing a big name DC. The Ryans are both great, but AFAIK, both are under contract as DCs. This means they can't be hired in a lateral move, they must at least be given "Assistant Head Coach" titles. I can't see Mangini giving that kind of power up. I can't see him hiring a big name DC or anybody with prior HC experience like Fox or Nolan because it solve nothing but to undermine his authority. IMO, it would not be good for the team.

You either fire him or let him do things his way. Giving him Fox as a DC would be like drafting Brady Quinn in '07 and then saying "Clemens is the QB of the future. Not to bright in my book. More realistic candidates are guys like Bryan Cox that have some fire, but limited experience. Sutton was hired because he is as old as the hills and experienced, but not looking for a top job in the future. Now that Mangini has been around a bit he can afford to hire a young buck that doesn't have so much experience. What's Pepper Johnson doing these days? That'd have the added benefit of pissing little Bill off further.

I've said this before, but the Jets will not be signing a big name DC. The Ryans are both great, but AFAIK, both are under contract as DCs. This means they can't be hired in a lateral move, they must at least be given "Assistant Head Coach" titles. I can't see Mangini giving that kind of power up. I can't see him hiring a big name DC or anybody with prior HC experience like Fox or Nolan because it solve nothing but to undermine his authority. IMO, it would not be good for the team.

You either fire him or let him do things his way. Giving him Fox as a DC would be like drafting Brady Quinn in '07 and then saying "Clemens is the QB of the future. Not to bright in my book. More realistic candidates are guys like Bryan Cox that have some fire, but limited experience. Sutton was hired because he is as old as the hills and experienced, but not looking for a top job in the future. Now that Mangini has been around a bit he can afford to hire a young buck that doesn't have so much experience. What's Pepper Johnson doing these days? That'd have the added benefit of pissing little Bill off further.

both ryans may be availble,,especially the Baltimore Ryan..

Certainly possible, but I'd think they'd be more likely to hire and offensive minded coach and keep him on. Even if he's loose the other reasons I gave for not hiring a big name experienced DC still apply. A guy like Ryan will undermine Mangini's authority. Being Buddy's boys they don't seem like good choices for this choirboy act anyway though there is the Jets connection.

I'd take either one SJ and the good news is that they are good friends with Eric Mangini-I hope Sutton gets demoted back to the linebackers or something or somewhere else. I think the reason the defense has been playing better is not because of Bob Sutton but because Mangini has taken more of the role on himself

Asst HC is not considered a real job.

DC and DC/AsstHC = lateral move according to the NFL

Can't take someone else's DC unless we're planning on making him HC or GM

Archived