OK- regarding EB 50's boy Cedric

SoFlaJets

the other day I asked the question if we have our RB of the future on the roster now-b/c Curtis has maybe 2 years left IMO-Blaylock was given a 5 year contract.So my query is this;Is Cedric Houston the new Lamont Jordan a promising #2 that never gets a true shot or is he THE ANSWER?Is it Blaylock who many believe to be Adrian Murrell(Tom Shane analogy I think)short term or do we draft that new hoped-for franchise back next April?

I follow lots of college football games as well as the pros. I really liked Houston as our pick- I saw him a number of time at Tennessee and was always impressed with the way he ran with the ball

He has has some injury problems and shared time there for part of his career last year with Gerald Riggs son.

He can IMO be the future back for the Jets- but that remains to be seen and played out

I still dont think our future starting RB is on the roster. I think Blaylock is a solid #2 RB and a change of pace back. I wouldnt read too much into contract length, as guys get restructured and cut all the time.

I think Cedric will turn out to eventually be a solid #2 RB/goal-line back. If he's more than that, Bradway struck gold. I just think the odds are against it.

Is it Blaylock who many believe to be Adrian Murrell(Tom Shane analogy I think)short term or do we draft that new hoped-for franchise back next April?

It's tough to get a franchise back with the last pick of the first round :wink:

yea you're right GDNA although Cumar wasa what a 3rd rounder-I do agree with April's positioning for us

Martin was a 3rd pick for the Pats! We paid a

first and a 3rd plus a big Contract! A great

deal was Priest Holmes who was a UFA picked up

first by the Falcons..I forgot what KC gave for

him.. #-o

I think with our run blocking oline, cedric would EASILY get 1,000 yards a at least a 4.0 YPC

I saw many tennesse games last year, let me tell you, he hits the hole WITH A GREAT SPEED BURST, and those LBs look like deers in the headlights when #21 came rumbling through the hole!!

TS is correct. I think we definetly will go either left tackle or RB next year. And once again we get lucky because those 2 positions look stacked in the 1st 2 rds next year. I love laurence maroney and deangelo williams at RB and Eric Winston and Marcus McNeil at LT.

him.. #-o

while it's true Priest was a UDFA... he was on the Ravens, who traded him to the Chiefs... not the Falcons :wink:

Houston probably isn't a franchise back from all the stuff I've been reading about. He seems to be more a situational plugger. IMO, our first round pick next year will be a 1) left tackle or a 2) RB.

Cornerback will still be a bigger problem than either of these next year. Dinger could be begging for a WR by then, too.

Anyway, there's no need to draft a "RB of the future." RB is traditionally the easiest position for a rookie to step in and play. They don't even need to be first rounders. This past year was a rarity. Quality starting RB's can be found throughout the first day of the draft.

For next year, they'll go with Martin again if he's putting up another 1200-1300 yard season. I mean, why not? If he starts to slow down after that, they can lean on Blaylock and Cedric some then. At that point, they can decide whether they have their starter on the roster or not. If not, they can draft a player with the intention of starting him at that time.

him.. #-o

Wasn't that a move from the great and mighty Bill Parcells :wink: #-o

Cornerback will still be a bigger problem than either of these next year. Dinger could be begging for a WR by then, too.

Anyway, there's no need to draft a "RB of the future." RB is traditionally the easiest position for a rookie to step in and play. They don't even need to be first rounders. This past year was a rarity. Quality starting RB's can be found throughout the first day of the draft.

For next year, they'll go with Martin again if he's putting up another 1200-1300 yard season. I mean, why not? If he starts to slow down after that, they can lean on Blaylock and Cedric some then. At that point, they can decide whether they have their starter on the roster or not. If not, they can draft a player with the intention of starting him at that time.

1) I take it you're not a believer in the tiumvirate of Barrett/Strait/Miller? I think out of those three they should be able to find two capable starters. If we're sitting here next year before the draft begging for a corner, it's liely that we'll have a tope ten pick anyway, because the season will be a total loss.

2) Yes, you can find a back in the third round that can start for you, but the question is, can Terry Bradway? Truly dicey.

3) When Martin breaks down I think it will be a quick and furious decline. Like, over the course of three games. Historically backs that get huge carries the season prior break the the next year. If Martin gets to week six without blowing an ankle or a knee, he will truly be super-human.

[quote name='"slats

For next year, they'll go with Martin again if he's putting up another 1200-1300 yard season. I mean, why not? If he starts to slow down after that, they can lean on Blaylock and Cedric some [i']then. At that point, they can decide whether they have their starter on the roster or not. If not, they can draft a player with the intention of starting him at that time.

but slats the modus operandi of Bradway and the scouts is to draft for next year THIS year.That's what they did with Adrian Jones and Cavka-knowing they were going to probably not re-sign and lose Kareem McKenzie.Get the kid familiarized with the system for a year or so-I belive we either DID that with Cedric or will do it in April if Houston doesn't fit the bill in the team's eyes-they gotta know Curtis is not superman and it's taken it's toll on him.hey last year was the first in awhile that he was healthy all year.He amazed us all the year before doing what he did with that ankle.

1) I take it you're not a believer in the tiumvirate of Barrett/Strait/Miller? I think out of those three they should be able to find two capable starters. If we're sitting here next year before the draft begging for a corner, it's liely that we'll have a tope ten pick anyway, because the season will be a total loss.

Definitely not. I'm no fan of Barrett, and I'm concerned that they have Strait focusing exclusively on the nickel role this year, after working both the nickel and CB roles last years. I'd expect his work to be increasing in year two, not decreasing.

Miller's raw. It'd be nice if he's starting quaility by next year.

2) Yes, you can find a back in the third round that can start for you, but the question is, can Terry Bradway? Truly dicey.

Ask his fans! They'll tell you about how he found a starting RB in the second round of his very first draft! That's where I'd focus my attention on RB's when the need arose.

3) When Martin breaks down I think it will be a quick and furious decline. Like, over the course of three games. Historically backs that get huge carries the season prior break the the next year. If Martin gets to week six without blowing an ankle or a knee, he will truly be super-human.

If he breaks down this year, then they'll have to take a RB next year. That simple. But people have been writing him off for so long now that I've stopped listening. I've read your take on the guy, but he is what he is: a rock steady performer year in and year out. I really can't expect him to break down any time soon.

If he does break down, at least it makes signing a backup RB to an $11M contract look like a reasonable move. #-o

but slats the modus operandi of Bradway and the scouts is to draft for next year THIS year.That's what they did with Adrian Jones and Cavka-knowing they were going to probably not re-sign and lose Kareem McKenzie.Get the kid familiarized with the system for a year or so-I belive we either DID that with Cedric or will do it in April if Houston doesn't fit the bill in the team's eyes

Absolutely. It's what they did with McKenzie himself, and Jon McGraw, and Vic Hobson, too.

In fact, it's what I suspect they did with Jordan as well, only to have Curtis take them by surprise with his best year as a pro (at the time) in his first year under Bradwards.

I like the plan with offensive linemen. And I can deal with it for LB's and the secondary. I think it's foolish at RB, though, when you can generally plug in a rookie and get a tremendous bang for your buck.

Cedric's gotta fight a little bit just to win a roster spot, as the Jets only carried four RB's last year. Blaylock's big contract sorta ties up another roster spot. I really think they'd be a lot better off waiting until Martin's going to be cut to take a RB high in the draft. Who knows what Bradway'll think, though.

FB 33 Sowell Jerald W/GB | 35 Askew BJ 03/3 | 40 Nwabuisi Austine F05 | |

RB 28 Martin Curtis R/NE | 23 Blaylock Derrick U/KC | 34 Houston Cedric 05/6 | 44 Flowers Little John F02 | 30 Joyce Delvin F05

RB2 | | | 37 Davis Josh F04 | 27 King Vick F05

I think with our run blocking oline, cedric would EASILY get 1,000 yards a at least a 4.0 YPC

I'd wait to see how he does against a front seven of all NFL-caliber starters before proclaiming him a future starter. A lot of teams passed on him a lot of times, and the odds are against him. I hope he DOES, but there's a greater chance he doesn't.

Definitely not. I'm no fan of Barrett, and I'm concerned that they have Strait focusing exclusively on the nickel role this year, after working both the nickel and CB roles last years. I'd expect his work to be increasing in year two, not decreasing.

Miller's raw. It'd be nice if he's starting quaility by next year.

Ask his fans! They'll tell you about how he found a starting RB in the second round of his very first draft! That's where I'd focus my attention on RB's when the need arose.

If he breaks down this year, then they'll have to take a RB next year. That simple. But people have been writing him off for so long now that I've stopped listening. I've read your take on the guy, but he is what he is: a rock steady performer year in and year out. I really can't expect him to break down any time soon.

If he does break down, at least it makes signing a backup RB to an $11M contract look like a reasonable move. #-o

I thought Strait was working his way up to a potential starting gig until he had the foot(?) injury. I think between him and Miller they should be able to field a pair of decent starters. Barrett sucked early on, but in the last 4 games he looked pretty good (vs. Torry Holt excluded :lol: ). Barrett isn't a #1 corner, but I think that Miller has a chance to be, and Strait has some potential. In short, I think it's too early to write those two off as starting material to the point where 2006 will be a need year at corner.

As for Martin, he's obviously a solid back, but I'd like to have some more explosiveness at the RB spot, especially considering this team is built for the running game. Martin is a 'three-point-five yards and a cloud of astroturf' guy, a la Eddie George. Blaylock is not the answer either, IMO. I agree that it's popular to bash Martin, but, like you, I also have given up on ripping him. He is what he is. Regardless, it's time to get his replacement into the fold.

Archived