The Jets "Super Bowl" Window Poll

What Is The Status Of The NY Jets Super Bowl Window of Opportunity?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What Is The Status Of The NY Jets Super Bowl Window of Opportunity?

• We Had Our Chance And Lost It
    • We're In The Window Right Now
    • We're A Few Players/Coaches Away From it

Ever since 1998 I've often wondered about this question. In 2002 I though we were there but that was followed by the 2003 Disaster. Last year I thought we had a shot but Doug F-ing Brien took care of that. If you ask me, with Hendu and Dinger we're in it right now.

What y'inz think?

Ever since 1998 I've often wondered about this question. In 2002 I though we were there but that was followed by the 2003 Disaster. Last year I thought we had a shot but Doug F-ing Brien took care of that. If you ask me, with Hendu and Dinger we're in it right now.

What y'inz think?

Same Old Jets.

A "nice and pretty" little team that will win 9-11 games, just making the playoffs as a Wild Card team and once again getting bouced in the early rounds.

The Jets still do not have a capable HC and QB to compete (and get the job done) against the elite teams in the NFL.

Same Old Jets.

A "nice and pretty" little team that will win 9-11 games, just making the playoffs as a Wild Card team and once again getting bouced in the early rounds.

The Jets still do not have a capable HC and QB to compete (and get the job done) against the elite teams in the NFL.

Same old Tx.

The window is open, buddy.

If God smiles down on Herman, he'll get into the playoffs against Schottenheimer and then Cowher and avoid being out-coached by the likes of Belichick or Billick. Or anyone other than Schottenheimer and Cowher, basically. Then in the Super Bowl, there are no great NFC teams with weak HC's. Reid, Fox, Holmgren, etc., would all eat Herm's lunch.

WAIT!!!! So you are saying that your Head Coach will be to blame for this season's upcoming shortcomings? But, how can that be? I thought the Jets first pick in the second round -the kicker who has never played a down of professional footballl - will save the day and bring you all to the promised land?! Amen???

ok so how many more years do you think Bellicheck stay with you guys and how much longer does Brady have to keep this team going?? Dynastys don;t last forever

ok so how many more years do you think Bellicheck stay with you guys and how much longer does Brady have to keep this team going?? Dynastys don;t last forever

I agree that dynasty's do not last forever.

Until some team (and it won't be the Jets) knocks the Pats from their pedastal, thinkgs will continue as usual. :wink:

Only Pats fans should be saying anything other than the window is still open. Otherwise, you are a Jets fan and you have already given up on the season, and you just can't do that as a fan, no matter how much pain you have felt in the past.

Past performance is a very indicative of future behaviors. :wink:

So why did the Patriots have so much recent success after so many years of futility?

Exactly. New England's dynasty is about to end, leaving the window wide open for the New York Jets. :D

So why did the Patriots have so much recent success after so many years of futility?

So many years of futility? :shock:

The Pats are the only team in NFL history to play in the Super Bowl in three consectutive decades.

Not to mention their undefeated reocrd of 5-0 in AFC Championship games.

Not even PLAYING in the Super Bowl for 36 straight years better describes the word "futility".

So many years of futility? :shock:

The Pats are the only team in NFL history to play in the Super Bowl in three consectutive decades.

Not to mention their undefeated reocrd of 5-0 in AFC Championship games.

Not even PLAYING in the Super Bowl for 36 straight years better describes the word "futility".

Tx, I thought WINNING the big game was all that counts, not just being there. [-X

Tx, I thought WINNING the big game was all that counts, not just being there.

Absolutely agree 80.

But describing a team that appeared in the Super Bowl in three straight decades (and BTW, winning more games than they lost :wink: ) as "futile" is pretty weak.

Absolutely agree 80.

But describing a team that appeared in the Super Bowl in three straight decades (and BTW, winning more games than they lost :wink: ) as "futile" is pretty weak.

Even you, Tx, can admit that the Patriots have had plenty of just plain AWFUL teams before Bellicheck and company arrived on the scene. The Patriots of old and the Patriots of new cannot come anywhere near a close comparison.

My point? The past doesn't always dictate the future, and all things must come to an end at some point. The Patriot dynasty will end and the Jets will win a Super Bowl.

Getting to the superbowl is never futile.

Getting to the superbowl puts you 60 minutes away from The Lombardi. That's WORLDS, WORLDS closer than 120 minutes and two games away in the CC game, and it isn't even worth talking about "making" the divisional round in this context.

A team that gets to the superbowl has put itself "in play" and has a real shot. All that team needs is 60 great minutes, or to take advantage if their opponent stumbles.

If the Jets MAKE the superbowl and lose, it won't change that they haven't won in nearly 40 years, but it WILL have given them a real chance, and it will NOT have been futile by any means.

Same old Tx.

The window is open, buddy.

Every team can say there window is open even by the loosest of definitions. :roll:

Can the Jets win the title? Yes.

Will they? No.

As Tex pointed out several things need to happen.

Chad needs to get better.

In the last two years he is 1-9 agsint Top 10 scoring defenses. Jets fans like to say injury or yeah but that is over inflated because he is 0-6 against Pittsburgh and New England. Fine. However, unless they realign the divisions and move the Patriots and Steelers out of the AFC, the Jets still have to beat them to get to the Superbowl. The Jets D is only giving up 19 points a game in those games while scoring 11 points. The QB has to be the difference maker.

Herm needs to get better.

Only one team in the Superbowl ERA has overcome an average coach to win the Superbowl, the 1995 Cowboys. After Switzer you have to go back to Tom Flores in 1983 to debate the relative greatness of a Superbowl winning coach. You can not have a coach that lacks authority, guts or time management skills. I like Herm, but as I have said for the past few seasons, he will probably be a better coach for his next team.

Status of the Jets. They are a good team. However, they are at best the 4th best team in the AFC. On the positive side, they have potential to get better, but potential is an awful dangerous word to play. So unless they get superb coaching, better QBing, an uncanny run of good luck like the 2001 Patriots or their defense simply dominates like the 2002 Bucs or the 2000 Ravens, they will win there 9-11 games and be bounced in the playoffs.

I cannot even imagine seeing the Jets make it to the superbowl only for them to lose.

IMO, thats worse than missing the playoffs altoegether.

I dunno what the frick I would do if we made it to the big dance and lost it. The odds of returning are rare (stfu patsy fans :lol: ), you have to win it if you make it. No way out, you gotta just win.

I cannot even imagine seeing the Jets make it to the superbowl only for them to lose.

IMO, thats worse than missing the playoffs altoegether.

I dunno what the frick I would do if we made it to the big dance and lost it. The odds of returning are rare (stfu patsy fans :lol: ), you have to win it if you make it. No way out, you gotta just win.

What?

For a team that has not even sniffed a Superbowl in 36 years, I think you should be a little more appreciative of just making it.

What?

For a team that has not even sniffed a Superbowl in 36 years, I think you should be a little more appreciative of just making it.

Were you so appreciative When the Bears wiped their asses with the Pats in SBXX? Getting there means nothing. Winning it is everything.

Jets fans can't say much about winning anything since '69. But we did "sniff" the SB in '82 and '98.

Were you so appreciative When the Bears wiped their asses with the Pats in SBXX? Getting there means nothing. Winning it is everything.

Jets fans can't say much about winning anything since '69. But we did "sniff" the SB in '82 and '98.

Actually, I was appreciative of the Patriots just making it.

Even back in Superbowl XXXI, I was appreciative they made it.

Now, what XXXI did was spark my interest for the Patriots to actually win it. I always wanted them to win, but they were the Patriots. To hold a lead and actually have a competitive game well into the 3rd made me realize even my Patriots can win it.

Although the championships the past 3 of 4 seasons is great, the ride to Superbowl XX beating the Jets, Rai-duhs and Phins was awesome. Watching Curtis run rampant over Pittsburgh and then O-T-I-S seal the deal over the upstart Jags was also great.

All I am saying is enjoy the ride along the way. The Patriots running all over the Phins in the 1985 Championship game is still probably the greatest game I have watched from an enjoyment stand point.

Actually, I was appreciative of the Patriots just making it.

Even back in Superbowl XXXI, I was appreciative they made it.

Now, what XXXI did was spark my interest for the Patriots to actually win it. I always wanted them to win, but they were the Patriots. To hold a lead and actually have a competitive game well into the 3rd made me realize even my Patriots can win it.

Although the championships the past 3 of 4 seasons is great, the ride to Superbowl XX beating the Jets, Rai-duhs and Phins was awesome. Watching Curtis run rampant over Pittsburgh and then O-T-I-S seal the deal over the upstart Jags was also great.

All I am saying is enjoy the ride along the way. The Patriots running all over the Phins in the 1985 Championship game is still probably the greatest game I have watched from an enjoyment stand point.

I agree with '85. Although it was heartbreaking to lose to the Pats in the wild-card game, I was rooting for them to beat the heavily-favored Dolphins.

I honestly think the window starts this year.

I agree with alot of PFSIKH says. Alot this year will depend not only on the health of Chad but also how well he performs in the new offense.

The Defense will be even better this year now that they have a year under Henderson and could very well be a top five defense in the NFL this year.

Then you have Herm. We all know what he needs to improve on. It has been the same thing since the day he walked in here. Time Management. Russo nailed on it on the head when he said Monday-Saturday Herm is one of the best coaches in league. Sunday though in a different story.

I honestly believe the Jets can MAKE the Super Bowl this year if they stay healthy and continue to climb defensively. Win ? I'd like to say yes but who knows.

I am supposed to be happy and privledged to see the Jets just make the superbowl, and not actually WIN IT!?!? Thats ridiculous! Theres no satisfaction in losing, no matter how big or small the circumstances of the game are.

I am supposed to be happy and privledged to see the Jets just make the superbowl, and not actually WIN IT!?!? Thats ridiculous! Theres no satisfaction in losing, no matter how big or small the circumstances of the game are.

Well I'd rather lose in the Super Bowl than lose a wild card game or not make the playoffs at all.

At least then the Jets could finally be crowned AFC Champs, and have SOME bragging rights for the following season.

Can you blame him for being happy about losing? He's a mets fan. He was probably thrilled when the mets lost to the Yankees in the 2000 world series.

Yes, I was thrilled watching the Mets lose when I attended both Games 1 and 4 of the series. That was SOOOO much fun.

Point is, at LEAST the Mets had bragging rights over the ******* Braves that season. The same would be true with the Jets having bragging rights over the Pats.

Seriously, if the Pats make it to the Super Bowl AGAIN next season while we sit at home, what kind of satisfaction would you get if they lost? None.

At least it would be a long, enjoyable ride for the Jets up until that point.

Since I've never had the pleasure of seeing the Jets make the superbowl, I'll use baseball as an example here.

In my opinion, when the Yankees lost the world series in 2003, I took it alot harder than the previous season when we lost to the angels in the ALDS.

It ticks me off and makes me mad, because we were that much closer to actually winning the frickin title and to lose it, when you know it was so close in reach, thats IMHO, more heartbreaking that not making the playoffs or losing in the early rounds.

Archived