London gets the Olympics over the Frogs

Sperm Edwards

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/07/06/singapore.olympics/index.html

(CNN) -- London will host the 2012 Summer Games, members of the International Olympic Committee have decided.

IOC president Jacques Rogge made the announcement after IOC members eliminated Paris in the fourth and final round of secret voting Wednesday in Singapore.

"The International Olympic Committee has the honor of announcing that the Games of the 30th Olympiad in 2012 are awarded to the city of London," Rogge declared after opening a sealed envelope containing the result.

Thousands of people in London's Trafalgar Square cheered as they watched the announcement on giant TV screens.

In the French capital, groans of disappointment swept through a crowd of thousands gathered at Paris Town Hall.

Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated in the first three rounds of voting respectively.

The decision followed a final, furious lobbying effort by an elite "who's who" of politicians and athletes at the IOC's annual meeting.

Among the dignitaries who traveled to Singapore to lobby IOC members were French President Jacques Chirac, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Queen Sofia of Spain and Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov.

The five cities bidding to host the 2012 Summer Games delivered their final presentations ahead of the vote.

London used royalty to get its message across, with Princess Anne kicking off the city's one-hour presentation with a message from Queen Elizabeth II.

"I've been impressed by the way everyone has united behind London's bid. As a country we share a passion for sport," the queen's message said, according to Reuters.

Blair, who held a string of meetings with IOC delegates before flying home to host the G8 summit in Gleneagles, Scotland this weekend, underlined London's message Wednesday with a pre-recorded video clip.

"Our vision is to see millions of young people participate in sport and improve their lives. London has the power to make this happen," Reuters quoted Blair as saying.

London also used the star power of David Beckham, one of the world's most famous soccer players, and Olympic gold medalist and bid chairman Sebastian Coe.

Chirac spoke passionately to the IOC, saying, "The heart of Paris and the heart of France are beating in unison in the hope of becoming Olympic host in 2012," The Associated Press reported.

"You can put your trust and faith in France, you can trust the French, you can trust us."

Paris also utilized the talents of actress Catherine Deneuve and French singer Johnny Halliday to highlight the wonders of Paris.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton and bid leader Dan Doctoroff used New York's readiness and its multicultural traditions to woo judges.

Bloomberg reminded the IOC of the city's recovery from the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"In our city's darkest hour, we asked ourselves, can we recover?" AP quoted him as saying. "New Yorkers stood up then and said, 'Yes, we can recover, we will rebuild and we must continue to welcome everyone. That spirit will be given to your Games."

U.S. President George W. Bush and former President Bill Clinton spoke in prerecorded video messages, AP said.

New York's delegation also included U.S. Olympic Committee Chairman Peter Ueberroth and a host of decorated Olympians, including Muhammad Ali, Nadia Comaneci, Ian Thorpe, Janet Evans and Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

Russian President Vladimir Putin's live video clip -- delivered in English -- urged the IOC to grasp a "unique and truly historic opportunity" by selecting Moscow, Reuters said.

"Moscow is a meeting place of cultures. Moscow is perfectly suited to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games," he said.

Russian swimming great Alexander Popov added: "If we can convince you to take this historic opportunity today, together we can change the world tomorrow."

Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and Queen Sofie pressed Madrid's case.

"The whole Spanish royal family is convinced that Madrid fully meets the conditions to offer to the world the best Olympic Games," AP quoted the queen as saying.

Responding to questions from delegates, Madrid officials downplayed threats from the Basque extremist group ETA.

"Absolute security is assured," AP quoted Zapatero as saying.

"It's our main priority. Those who have tried to attack our candidacy will see that this is something that is doomed to disappear in Madrid and all of Spain."

Voting procedure

Voting has gone to four ballots in four of the last five votes to pick a host for the Summer Games. The only exception was in 2001, when Beijing was selected for the 2008 Olympics on just the second ballot.

Among the candidate cities, Paris has hosted the Olympics twice, but not since 1924. London, too, has twice played host, but not since 1948.

New York and Madrid have never hosted an Olympic Games, though the United States and Spain both hosted the international sporting event during the previous decade (Atlanta in 1996 and Barcelona in 1992.)

Moscow was the host for the 1980 Olympics, but those Games were boycotted by the United States and a number of other countries in protest against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

London's bid was recently boosted by a survey of the world's top sports officials who favored its efforts over those of Paris.

The survey, by the Web site Sportcal.com, found there was little to choose between the bids technically.

"London received the strongest backing, partly on the basis that its presentations were thought to be the most professional of the five bidding cities," said the Web site.

The London-based site surveyed the secretaries general of National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and international sports federations by telephone and e-mail over the past two weeks.

The officials were asked which of the contenders they favored and why.

"Of almost 70 NOCs and federations surveyed, London's bid was the clear leader ... with 44 percent of respondents backing its bid, compared with 29 percent backing for Paris, 10 percent each for Madrid and New York and 7 percent for Moscow," Sportcal.com said in a statement.

"London received the backing of 31 percent of the federations, compared to Paris's 28 percent, New York's 19 percent and 11 percent backing for ... Madrid and Moscow."

As the clock counted down to the final vote, the lobby at the Raffles City Convention Center, the venue for the vote, was crammed with representatives of the bidding cities as they made their last-minute appeals.

Easy for you to say. You don't live here. How many of you who LIVE here wanted the Olympics here?

I really have to agree with GGG- most people that I know either could not care or did not want the added congestion, security concerns.

To me it was more for the political and business big shots that would make capital off of it

The Republican convention last year here was like a giant parking lot. The Olympics would be worse. No thanks.

Glad London was picked over Paris.

I really have to agree with GGG- most people that I know either could not care or did not want the added congestion, security concerns.

To me it was more for the political and business big shots that would make capital off of it

you are correct, I don't live there...and it really doesn't affect me one way or the other...I just hated to see HOW NY lost the bid with all the politics and garbage...and in all of that the Jets lost their new home...

I can imagine the chaos the Olympics would bring to the city, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of it, but DAMN thats a lot of moula going overseas instead of here

but DAMN thats a lot of moula going overseas instead of here

Yep, that's the biggest part of this whole thing.

I'll admit that I wasn't gung-ho about dealing with all of the logistics of having the Olympics here, but it would have been WELL worth the economic boost that the olymics would have brought NYC, NY state and the region in general.

I think it's extremely selfish for people to be glad that they won't have to be inconvenienced by traffic 7 YEARS FROM NOW at the expense of literally BILLIONS of dollars of revenue that would have gone to all the people in the area, both rich and poor. People complain about the streets being dirty, fire stations being closed and the city's schools falling apart, but then won't support something that could help improve all of these things.

I just think that the people of this city made a big mistake for a few petty, selfish reasons.

Congratso to London....

I could care less about the Olympics..But my question is why do so many people hate the French! Frogs! Come on...So we helped them not become German about 65 years ago..Get over it! They don't owe us for ever...

I could care less about the Olympics..But my question is why do so many people hate the French! Frogs! Come on...So we helped them not become German about 65 years ago..Get over it! They don't owe us for ever...

Personally I thought it had more to do with them hating us.

"Chirac is a worthless, balless, frog leg eating sack of monkey Sh#t. he should be happy he still spouts his worthless drivel in French and not German."

statements like that are why people think football fans are meatheads schmucks with the IQ of a dead turtle...

Have you been to FRance?

Why is Shirac Spineless? B/C he didn't support a BS war on Iraq..

I guess 50 million Americans are spineless too then..

"Chirac is a worthless, balless, frog leg eating sack of monkey Sh#t. he should be happy he still spouts his worthless drivel in French and not German."

statements like that are why people think football fans are meatheads schmucks with the IQ of a dead turtle...

Have you been to FRance?

Why is Shirac Spineless? B/C he didn't support a BS war on Iraq..

I guess 50 million Americans are spineless too then..

Easy Frenchie, guess you haven't been paying attention the last few years

UMM..ity appears that you have not paid attention...I don't recall Shirac being against the justified war in afghanistan..

And unlike spineless US warmakers, Shirac ACTUALLY fought in a war..against a muslim insurgency no less..

One note if you follow most of the cities and olympics and the Olympic organization usually end up losing money on the games- false perception that it brings in loads of money

you are correct, I don't live there...and it really doesn't affect me one way or the other...I just hated to see HOW NY lost the bid with all the politics and garbage...and in all of that the Jets lost their new home...

I can imagine the chaos the Olympics would bring to the city, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of it, but DAMN thats a lot of moula going overseas instead of here

Not too much Moula - Atlanta, the last US summer Olympics just broke even...

Sure, it does make money for the retail industries within the visible area of the event. But the Construction costs alone usually kill a city.

And as for why we only got 15 votes?!? in the second round, MSNBC pretty much put everything in perspective...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8484133/page/1/

It was mostly a slap in the eyes of our president & since most of the world HATES US, the 89 IOC members voted according to politics...

That & the fact that Blair upped the offer last month by giving ALL of the Olympic competitors a free RAILPASS & ROOM/BOARD for a month after the games!

Our Stadium loss will be the scapegoat & not the real reason.

The Republican convention last year here was like a giant parking lot. The Olympics would be worse. No thanks.

Glad London was picked over Paris.

....ditto. you couldn't even walk to the post office on 34th for that damn convention. Would have made the city some money I suppose, but it wasn't a heart breaker for me.

Archived